Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
KeenParchedIrishwolfhound.gif

cw8

Cipher
I wonder if Paradox is racking their brains over what DLCs to spam for Skylines that hasn't been already covered or are going to be covered by mods. The only thing I can think of is night mode.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

At this this one somewhat adheres to physics. I mean, the turn is way too sharp to get that kind of air, but it's a lot better than Sim City where not only would they leap through the air, they'd also flip, shake, and scream unholy sound effects.

Truthfully, I"ve played Cities and I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
I wonder if Paradox is racking their brains over what DLCs to spam for Skylines that hasn't been already covered or are going to be covered by mods. The only thing I can think of is night mode.
I'm confident in Paradox's abilities in spamming DLC, I wouldn't worry about it.

Perkel

Arcane
someone already removed 250k trees and props limit. They are working currently to get that into saves (as they currently don't save)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This game looks bland, boring and generic as fuck. I loved how in Tropico areas would turn into gettos and people would live in hell among washing lines, chicken and tin. What I see here is Barbieworld. It's incredibly lame and stupid what first world developers come up with these days.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's how urban life looks like for the rest of us. You know, civilized people. I do believe the name of the game isn't Shitstan Simulator: Sandnigger Washing Lines.

Angthoron

Arcane
While I'd also like to see more possibilities for ghetto looks, graffiti and shit, I am pretty sure that places like Finland pretty much are a barbieworld and the most offensive things you'll find are an overturned trashcan and a spraypainted bridge. For a proper Shitholia you'd want a city sim made in Poland.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No it isnt. You should go out more often, and without those rose tinted glasses.

I'm pretty sure I've travelled to more shitholes of this world than you have. Doesn't mean that there aren't places where decline hasn't yet ruined everything.

Complaining about the sterile environments in Sim City -clones is like complaining about stats and dice rolls in an RPG. City builders have always been escapism where you build impossible utopias. If you want to experience the grim reality of poverty, you can always take a look at your own back yard.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to see a game simulating the dark sides of megalopolis as well, but that would be going against the whole concept. Maybe someone else will make Ghetto Simulator 2016 where you'll focus on making your city even bigger shithole than it already is.

Turjan

Arcane

At this this one somewhat adheres to physics. I mean, the turn is way too sharp to get that kind of air, but it's a lot better than Sim City where not only would they leap through the air, they'd also flip, shake, and scream unholy sound effects.
There is probably a very short road piece involved somewhere, which sometimes confuses the game. It helps to just bulldoze those and replace by something slightly longer.

Burning Bridges

I'm pretty sure I've travelled to more shitholes of this world than you have. Doesn't mean that there aren't places where decline hasn't yet ruined everything.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you had you would know that not 1 town in the whole world resembles this. You sound like you live in a cabin in Lapland and all you have seen of cities is development brochures.

Turjan

Arcane
The developers are from Finland. Finnish slums probably consist of tenements or small clapboard houses. The clapboard houses stay in areas without services.

Of course, if you have schools, parks and police everywhere, things will start looking samey.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
You have no idea what you are talking about. If you had you would know that not 1 town in the whole world resembles this. You sound like you live in a cabin in Lapland and all you have seen of cities is development brochures.

And you sound like a Brazilian favela dweller who refuses to believe that the images he sees in his his rich neighbour's TV exist.

I'll gladly give you a tour to some 'bland, boring and generic as fuck' barbieworld's that completely lack ghettos and other kinds of flavour you were missing. Potential countries: Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark... Fuck, in Bern during a Friday night I saw a dude throw up on the street... 1h later when I walked past the same spot they'd already cleaned up the vomit. Sure, every place has it's dark corners, but overall bland generic copy-paste is what they look like.

Do I also need to remind you that we're talking about a video game? This is the view we're supposed to be mainly looking from anyway:

6110937.jpg

P. sure you won't see the dirt, trash, used needles and homeless people from this view either.

Burning Bridges

The cities in the game look at best like US cities with checkerboard roads and the complete absence of historic buildings, but without the reality of gettos and unhappy people.
But anyway to each his own. If you like banal shit boring fantasy worlds so much, I am fine with that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Man, this is like the first time you bring up historic buildings. It's not a perfect sim, but at least keep the criticism line consistent. Also, historical buildings are a bit hard to do in a game that has cities start growing in 2015 and are probably part of Paradox DLCs anyway. "Start your city in 1950ies and grow it to modern era! New buildings, and a chance to make historical districts!". Wouldn't surprise me at all, since there's a total absence of earlier architectural styles that are found in abundance in Scandinavia. I just hope they skip the 1970ies styles, that shit looks blander than anything this game can throw at you right now.

baturinsky

Arcane
In Tropico there is a real economy, and you have to build housing by yourself. As a result, early game a lot of housing as cheap, or people have to live in self-made hovels. But once you have a stable income, your citiy turn even more generic than C:S.

In C:S economy is more a placeholder. You barely have to do anything to turn in abig profit. So you don't have to, say, cut police and healthcare to bare bones so you can scrap some money for a power plant.

Burning Bridges

I was not inconsistent, I just see from a mile that it's boring and bland like watching advertisement spots. You said it yourself, this is what a city would look like if it was founded in 2000+. in a world with 100% mind control and where all people had jobs and happy families.

Turjan

Arcane
I was not inconsistent, I just see from a mile that it's boring and bland like watching advertisement spots. You said it yourself, this is what a city would look like if it was founded in 2000+. in a world with 100% mind control and where all people had jobs and happy families.
That's because you give all of the jobs and services. Which means, if your city looks bland, it's your own fault. Except for building variety, which was known to be low before release. We will get a European building set for free at some point.

Keep in mind that this is one city, so services like police and schools spill over to all areas, if the capacities are high enough. The area effect of the service buildings themselves is just for land value. One aspect that goes into land value is plot size. If you just zone blocks, the game will use 4x4 plots, which have intrinsically higher land value and will set the leveling threshold lower. Just zone differently. Here I just made a zoning example:

B8BC4C0E0C91736287FA2B634AB2C4062A19996C

Note all the different, relatively uniform blocks. I don't get it to stay at level 1, because my police comes over from the city center. Level 1 would look like the houses in the foreground:

32684AFF97F36F985613BEC1FC74FD96BB480B8A

If you keep your city all rectangular, that's also a conscious decision. You can have your streets like this:

FE612B2A7D86ED6D2DB36C5896E769DF1AD6C109

Sightseeing with the train is quite nice. Unfortunately, I don't manage to make any videos.

Turjan

Arcane
Here is a different angle of that irregular intersection, to better show how the small lot sizes break up highrise monotony:

B219514A9CBD02C7621E8C4466878E1B596110B3

Some areas will never really look so hot, and the relatively okay look here is because I gave some tax incentives (that's why those small houses upgraded):

1C493B380EEC591743975744C8984EFF724DBB41

Even in the posh, completely rectangular center, you can make it not look too boring by just breaking the grid with pathways:

250A34D2B4B90B70BF225F4350F018838029BF6E

Angthoron

Arcane
There's also a ton of mods that add new growable housing, some of which looks pretty grim. Tenements, working class houses, things like that. Combined with the manual housing leveling mod, you can probably make some pretty grim-looking neighbourhoods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom