Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

baturinsky

Arcane
Currently most of traffic is actually generated by bugs. Such as cars not understanding how lanes work, or people using services and jobs across the city while they have similar next door.

So it is like real life ?
I mean i have shop near me but i don't fucking buy anything there instead i usually go to other part of city.

As of lanes. It is not problem with lanes but with traffic design.

If you look carefully at those bugs you will see that most of the time it is connected to only one road that is used so traffic takes only one lane. Like in real life why the hell you would take 3 line if you want to turn from 1 line.

If someones will design lanes so that for example six lane will lead to different parts of city from different sides than all lanes will be used.

edit:

There are though some legitemate bugs

Well, maybe not outright bugs (I'm not talking about landships here), but inability to finetune things. Such as assign 5 of 6 lanes for turning right, instead of one (for cargo station buffer), or limit number of trains that certain cargo station will generate, or limit certain service building to local borough.

Whiran

Magister
Well, maybe not outright bugs (I'm not talking about landships here), but inability to finetune things. Such as assign 5 of 6 lanes for turning right, instead of one (for cargo station buffer), or limit number of trains that certain cargo station will generate, or limit certain service building to local borough.
Could you name a city, any city in the world, that has a five lane out of six lanes for turning right?

I don't believe that the traffic algorithm is perfect but it is, in my view, remarkably good.

I would like to see right and left turning lanes at intersections to move those vehicles out of the through traffic and I imagine that someone will eventually figure out how to do that.

There are definitely some quirks in how traffic operates but it really isn't that bad especially when compared to real life. The other day I had to go to a part of my city region that I don't normally travel to well after what should have been rush hour (it was 7pm in the evening) and I had to turn right.

I went into the turning lane and waited in backed up traffic for about ten minutes. The lane to my left was empty. The lane to my right was empty. This was the turning lane and everyone was sitting in it waiting. The backed up traffic went back about 700 meters with clear lanes on either side.

All I could think of was that I was living in Cities: Skylines and that the city planners for that region were terrible.

baturinsky

Arcane
Could you name a city, any city in the world, that has a five lane out of six lanes for turning right?
I'm not talking about all streets, but particular ones where by far most cars turn right. Example: road in fron of cargo station. Another example, big road that turn into another big road to the right and small road to the left.

After some observing of highways, most problems there seem to stem just from there being more traffic than sole middle lane can handle. Then side lane's can't join in smoothly, middle lane stops to let them in, and whole system collapses. So, you have to build another parallel highway and hope for highways with more than one middle lane in future.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Wanted to play for an hour or two, it's almost 7 in the morning already D:

Yeah, that's genuinely becoming a problem for me. I've never encountered a game that swallows up time like this one. My SO was getting interviewed on the radio the other day and I thought "oh cool, 45 minutes that's plenty of time" and when I looked again his interview had ended 20 minutes prior. It literally felt like only 10 min.

Perkel

Arcane
Imo road merging should be a little more easy. It has this minimum angle where bellow that instead of direct connection it creates arc.

Still amazing job for their first citybuilder game created by like 12 people and released modding API on day 1

cw8

Cipher
My city so far. Road patterns are ugly but my focus is not on them. As usual I dump industry and polluting crap on one side of the map as I always do since the old Simcities. I don't like polluting buildings to mix with residences and commercial. Spent some good space on making parks and planting trees. I haven't made a grand central park yet.
21aergz.jpg

I like making parks, haven't used custom park assets yet, just the vanilla ones so far:
2e30nya.jpg

Would be better if the megaparks didn't require the roads to run in between them. I like putting skywalks over them, I'd imagine the sims use them to take photos:
wvqph5.jpg

I'll design the grand central park with custom park assets which will probably take half a map tile or more soon.

baturinsky

Arcane
Another imbalance of the current C:S is that you don't actually need industry, except maybe agriculture. Offices are superior in anything.

Your parks are nice. If only those ugly-yellow roads were a little less ugly-yellow.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I never played SimCity 4. How does it compare to this? There seems to be a wide range of opinions on the matter, ranging from saying C:S is an imitation and others saying C:S is the superior game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Would be better if the megaparks didn't require the roads to run in between them. I like putting skywalks over them, I'd imagine the sims use them to take photos
Get the mod that allows you to zone next to pedestrian paths. It adds a new type of road that can only be traversed by pedestrians and service vehicles, and looks like a wider pedestrian path. Very nice for building up park areas and townhouse clusters for hipster assholes.

Keshik

Arcane
And this is why every developer (especially for games like this) should make sure that there are good modding possibilities. Banished comes to my mind - it's also a decent builder game from a small team but it doesn't have lasting value and will be forgotten in the next years.

Was one guy, he did allow for modding but I haven't checked to see how much he allowed to be modified or what mods are out there.

Will have to get the mod to unlock all areas, Feel like designing a place with awful amounts of sprawl

Turjan

Arcane
I actually reconsidered and continued with my old city. I loaded an older save prior to building all monuments, and I just have the Space Elevator (which doesn't do anything) and the Fusion Power Plant (which makes power plants obsolete, but I only had 5 solar plants and a dam anyway). Which means I'm still only at 92k inhabitants and about 4 of 9 tiles being empty.

270AA2EE538E79CE1E97F5B138E4D09DB855B968

The motorways were all pre-existing, and I don't really need anything in the city yet. This may change above 100k, probably the center river bridge first, which is a bit busy.

baturinsky

Arcane
I think Space Elevator act as a mega-airport, transporting people from outside. Making airport, passenger port, station etc obsolete.

Turjan

Arcane
I think Space Elevator act as a mega-airport, transporting people from outside. Making airport, passenger port, station etc obsolete.
Maybe. Then again, it's not really the case that the city gets swamped by people from the outside. I was just looking, and the airport, train station and cruise ship having somewhat more than 50 passengers per week on average (sometimes above 100), and the space elevator had 300 to 400 people. In a sense, it makes the other transport methods obsolete, but it's not like those were overly busy beforehand. Which has much to do with the point that I don't know what tourists actually do, except using my public transport (bus and metro about 200, train about 300, ship and plane about 55) and visiting unique buildings and monuments. Do they actually spend money? Does it matter, given the numbers (less than 1% of my population)?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Turjan That's a lovely demonic sigil of a highway bypass down in the south. Az'anub'akar the deamned approves of your veneration.

Hoaxmetal That was with infinite money or some similar mod I take it. :3
There's no way a city would grow organically like that without a hige cash influx at the start.

cw8

Cipher
Get the mod that allows you to zone next to pedestrian paths. It adds a new type of road that can only be traversed by pedestrians and service vehicles, and looks like a wider pedestrian path. Very nice for building up park areas and townhouse clusters for hipster assholes.

Great! Thanks, will check it out. Guess my city building will be halted temporarily with the release of POE later this week.

Sweet, like an Independence Day UFO.

Disgruntled

Savant
Has someone started compiling a list of the best mods for the game?

Im seeing some good ones thrown around but im hesistant to break the balance of the game or spend hours picking out small adjustments here and there.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
When's Josh Sawyer gonna come to the rescue?:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom