Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chronicles of Vaeltaja is a grid-based blobber set in a colorful fantasy world, now on Early Access

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Homages are something you hide in your game for greater effect though, not use it as a selling point

I might even add that the overall tone is more dark than light-hearted, despite the presentation.

You need to show it

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Homages are something you hide in your game for greater effect though, not use it as a selling point

I might even add that the overall tone is more dark than light-hearted, despite the presentation.

You need to show it
I will eventually.

The game has a demo version that will show something, though the demo is kind of a 'light' version of the game missing stuff from this early access version. Play it and try to get the true ending of the first quest-line about a character called Hermin and you will see what I mean.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
In case you don't want to try the demo, I'll give you something right now.

For starters, the game's main plot starts with a quest where the player has to go investigate the strange happenings in the seaside town of Pramea, where travelers and children are reported to gone missing and some of them turn out to be murdered. Eventually (this is not in the Early Access version yet as it happens much later) turns out that the children's fate... (This won't spoil any details)

...is much gruesome than death.

About the Hermin's quest in the demo:

Hermin wants the player to find him a spellbook in the nearby Tower so he can lift a curse that has been cast on his family. Later on at some point after solving the quest, player will run into Hermin and find out that messing with the dark arts he only managed to turn himself into a zombie and ate his family.

Also the gameworld is based on Gnostic philosophy where only a handful of souls will be saved when the so called judgement arrives.

And if you try the demo and you are concerned about the first enemies, the true challenge lies in the dungeon The Old Tower.

Edit: Also the skill system has gone through some changes from the demo version, for example the main character isn't the only one who can pick locks and so on. Also Mage can choose to become either Warlock or Wizard, or something between.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Also forgot to mention that the performance issues the demo has, especially with weaker cpu, are already fixed with the Early Access version. I just haven't had the time to update the demo as I'm working full-time with the EA version.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
And if you don't like the graphics, they're also easily moddable, as long as the size stays the same.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Bought it but probably gonna wait for it to leave EA. How complete is the game at this point?
Thanks for the support! At the moment there's about 20 hours worth of gameplay with side content and the full game will have 30-50 hours worth of gameplay, depending how much you want to invest in side quests and secrets. All the mechanics are already there, so updates will mostly be about content and bug fixes. At the moment I'm preparing the first content update which brings the most challenging dungeon so far and some side quest content.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
90s games (and even some 80s games, DM among them IIRC) generally had actual artists working on them, not just programmers doing ASCII or MSPaint shit.
There were a lot of shit-looking games in the 90ies and 80ies as well. Most people here only remember the peaks and then compare them to an average forgettable indie, obviously, that doesn't fare well. Compare it to something similar on the other hand

mw_000.png
mw_068.png
Moraff has to be color blind, there is no other explanation.
Steve Moraff's games have always been very...colorful.
Yeah.

Colorful.

5f74d96c81ca6.jpg

moraff-dungeon.png

mw_068.png

:prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper: :prosper:
Now we know Prosper's true identity.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
This looks almost identical to that game that came out a couple years back, "E.X.P.L.O.R. A New World" which was decent. This looks deeper which is good. Wishlisted until v1.0 is out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom