Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chronicles of Vaeltaja is a grid-based blobber set in a colorful fantasy world, now on Early Access

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks hideous.
And yet it looks better than your girlfriend, you know the one you have to empty out of air every morning and hide under your mattress before your mom wakes up.
Sold. I'm buying this.
Cheers! I hope you enjoy it! :salute:

Sorry about the multi posts, I'm just learning to text with Nokia N100...

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks hideous.
And yet it looks better than your girlfriend, you know the one you have to empty out of air every morning and hide under your mattress before your mom wakes up.
Sold. I'm buying this.

Maybe you should spend that time learning how to make your game not ugly instead.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Looks hideous.
Sold. I'm buying this.

Maybe you should spend that time learning how to make your game not ugly instead.
I thought that self-irony would be a too sophisticated concept for you to understand and it seems I was right. Maybe I should just stop, as I don't want to make you seem even more embarassing than you already are. Even though you are craving my attention like a weaned child.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Maybe instead of making 10,000 word reddit tier comebacks you should try not making your game ugly instead.
That was so lame that I think I'll save my energy for more worthy opponent. Thanks for keeping this thread up, though, so my game can get even more attention.

Its got that programmer-MS paint vibe right now.

Most of it would work well enough *if* you updated the portraits, characters, and that bulbous vegetation with the help of an artist, and swapped out that screeching palette for something more coordinated, the graphics would be improved by 70-80%.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
The embarrassment is talking about embarrassment. Infinitron Where do you find them?

Were they on offer/sale? Buy one get one free type of thing?

Last edited:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
WTF is everyone's problem, I think the graphics look charming. Definitely 10000000000 times better than anything made by Jeff Vogel.
I don't mind, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Graphic style is my choice and it's everyone's personal matter if they think wether it's a good or a bad choice. I know what I'm doing and that's enough for me. I'm not forcing anyone to try it or like it, I'm just giving an option for something different.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think in general the game is OK looking. I think your game would benefit better with just some better art. It isn't anywhere near eye gouging, it just isn't really pulling me in.

For example years ago Sword and Sorcery - Underworld when he first came out with this, the art was just..... terrible to be honest. And for years all we did was bitch about the graphics. After a few years Charles finally worked with an artist and now the game looks WAY better and more cohesive.

Just my own comments on this. I do wish you luck on your project. :salute:

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I think in general the game is OK looking. I think your game would benefit better with just some better art. It isn't anywhere near eye gouging, it just isn't really pulling me in.

For example years ago Sword and Sorcery - Underworld when he first came out with this, the art was just..... terrible to be honest. And for years all we did was bitch about the graphics. After a few years Charles finally worked with an artist and now the game looks WAY better and more cohesive.

Thanks for the feedback and no problem. One reason for the artstyle is that I love how pixel graphics with 2d sprites look in stereoscopic 3d with Nvidia 3D Vision - it gives me the same feelings that I had when I played games like Dungeon Master or Lands of Lore when I was a teenager. And there really isn't much pixel graphics games that can be played in stereoscopic 3d, so I decided to make one myself.

Of course there's going to be improvement in the enemies and their animations and other stuff as the project develops - this is Early Access after all. I know I'm an amateur in this department as I had never done any pixelart (or any graphics for that matter) before when I started this project couple of years ago. You should have seen how this looked when I started this. :-D

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
WTF is everyone's problem, I think the graphics look charming. Definitely 10000000000 times better than anything made by Jeff Vogel.
I don't mind, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Graphic style is my choice and it's everyone's personal matter if they think wether it's a good or a bad choice. I know what I'm doing and that's enough for me. I'm not forcing anyone to try it or like it, I'm just giving an option for something different.
Is that why you freaked out like a baby?

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Is that why you freaked out like a baby?
You're the one who's still crying, I just had little fun with you. And judging from the reactions so did many others. ;)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Thanks for the feedback and no problem. One reason for the artstyle is that I love how pixel graphics with 2d sprites look in stereoscopic 3d with Nvidia 3D Vision - it gives me the same feelings that I had when I played games like Dungeon Master or Lands of Lore when I was a teenager. And there really isn't much pixel graphics games that can be played in stereoscopic 3d, so I decided to make one myself.

Of course there's going to be improvement in the enemies and their animations and other stuff as the project develops - this is Early Access after all. I know I'm an amateur in this department as I had never done any pixelart (or any graphics for that matter) before when I started this project couple of years ago. You should have seen how this looked when I started this. :-D

Also please add some interesting enemies

No one wants to fight bears and lego bandits

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer

Also please add some interesting enemies

No one wants to fight bears and lego bandits
So you want to play it after all!

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
You don't consume minecraft blobber, you're a graphics whore. Codex 2023, retardation 2023.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You don't consume minecraft blobber, you're a graphics whore. Codex 2023, retardation 2023.
I see Intelligence was your dump stat. Tell me how people bitching and moaning for multiple pages about the graphics aren't graphics whores.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I see Intelligence was your dump stat. Tell me how people bitching and moaning for multiple pages about the graphics aren't graphics whores.
Too much butter will kill you nigga, try boosting your strength stat.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Style whores, not graphics whores dumbo

The level of graphics doesn't need to change. But it needs a stylish UI, better 2D art, portraits, enemy design, etc.

Looks absolutely hollow. And I love hand crafted worlds with no hand holding

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
- Meet quirky characters like The Order of the Knights Who Never Discuss About the Same Topic Twice.

Not expecting any improvements after reading this though

If this is the level of creativity the game has then rip
Just a little Monty Python homage, nothing more, so don't let that intimidate you. Of course it's a matter of an opinion, or taste perhaps, is it felicitous or not.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I might even add that the overall tone is more dark than light-hearted, despite the presentation. There are also choices in some quests that will lead to darker outcome. There is also a reputation system, that is affected by the way you play the game. That will affect how the npcs treat you when talking to them. You can also steal from the shops etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom