Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
All work and no play makes Chris a dull boy. He really should do the playing in his free time and comment on it afterwards, even if he sticks with the YouTube format.

Right now, it's getting increasingly harder to justify to myself why I would listen to a bored guy grunting to a microphone for an hour in the hopes that he'll say one or two at least remotely interesting things during that time.

poetic codex

Augur
He makes a fucking diplomatic character, that sucks in every fight, only to finally reach the bridge bandits, get bored of all the text and just decide to attack them... FFS Chris, you already failed the Trial by Arcanum, stop embarassing yourself even further.

:what:

What!? I didn't watch the video but this is insane if true. On multiple occasions, I have cited that bridge scene in Arcanum as having some of the best use of dialogue in an RPG game. Yet the grandmaster of RPG writing gets bored and fights his way through it?! I'm confused.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just check the video, at 13:00.

First attempt he almost gets it, but then gets tired and just attacks. Second one he fails quickly and attack. Third one he doesn't even try anymore...

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't it the same damn thing Avellone or Sawyer were talking about, that a player should always carefully choose his/her responses in dialogue and not just picking up a press-to-win response [Speech] "Gimme all ur moneys now"?

MCA is :obviously: writer but sadly an impatient player with a short attention span. The bridge bandits left no room for doubt.

As long he doesn't pollute his writing with his :popamole: playing style (hurr durr text wall...lets smash bandits!!) It is cool with me.

Did he start his career in Interplay as QA? Cause I don't even want to imagine that...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As I mentioned earlier, Chris doesn't ever want to lie in a dialogue. He's stated this a couple of times throughout the video whenever he comes across a lie-option. The win-button in that dialogue requires lying.

buzz

Arcane
Yeah, when you play as a guy who is either menacing and capable of fighting or a rich guy who can pay the toll. Honest and frail sounds like a losing state to me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dunno, I thought they'd be too ditzy to be capable of active manipulation. Or have I mistaken the background?
That would be the Sent to Charm School background doing the manipulating. Avellone's character background just says she was born to influential parents.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As I mentioned earlier, Chris doesn't ever want to lie in a dialogue. He's stated this a couple of times throughout the video whenever he comes across a lie-option. The win-button in that dialogue requires lying.

B-but he's playing a diplomatic character. Lying is the entire point!:flamesaw:
Diplomacy can also mean convincing your enemies to see things your way through coercion and/or compromise.

In Chris's case, coercion involves a stun and explosive grenade.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Diplomacy can also mean convincing your enemies to see things your way through coercion and/or compromise.
There actually is an option for this. You just have to destroy the new bridge materials. The bandits get what they want, you get to cross the bridge, and no one gets hurt - physically, at least. In the long run, the town will suffer, but that's not your fault... It's that damn lazy Doc who could kill the bandits in a heartbeat, but doesn't!

Seriously though, the bandits are dimwitted, selfish thugs who haven't the barest scrap of human decency beneath their polite veneer. They'll gladly murder you and your companions at the slightest provocation. Beyond helping them in some way or lying, what argument could possibly convince them to let you through, let alone leave town themselves? Or do you think that having a high enough level of persuasion should magically make you able to talk anyone out of anything, even if it doesn't make sense? (Even if you believe that, keep in mind that it's impossible for the player to have mastered persuasion at this stage.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom