Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jesus christ.

Why do you arouse me so?
Fuck if I know. You're supposed to be the sexual deviant on Codex of legend, dammit!

I have no idea how I do anything I do. Sometimes I wake up in the morning, get out of bed, brush my teeth and half-way through brushing I wonder how I got there. IT'S INSANE.

Repressed Homosexual
The problem is that many of them are older men in their late thirties or fourties who want to feel like they're still hip and trendy, and like they haven't lost their "hardcore gamer street cred" even though they're too burned out to play anything but casual, linear stuff like Bioshock Infinite. Look at how MCA seems to struggle to play something like Arcanum. At least Todd Howard and Lord British have been honest in saying they mostly just play stuff on their Iphone now and the 2-3 most glamorous AAA titles of the year.

If you look at a forum like QT3 it is full of that, RPS kind of people rationalizing why Mass Effect is the future of gaming and older systems were just needlessly complicated. When I went to a sister forum they laughed at my face for suggesting that Daggerfall had some preferable features in comparison to Skyrim.

Zeriel

Arcane
He thinks the game is shit, though. How is he supposed to get good ideas from a game he doesn't like?

He thinks the game is shit, though. How is he supposed to get good ideas from a game he doesn't like?

Well that's nice.

How the fuck can he form an opinion when he didn't even leave the tutorial town after 4 hours? o_O

There are some awesome things in Arcanum. Well combat is shit but the rest is great IMO.

dunno lah

Arcane
Perhaps a "Chris (and Tim) Plays Arcanum" would be better? They can have their friendly, natural conversations, jokes etc. plus insight from the guy who probably knows the game inside and out.

Lancehead

Liturgist

Game design is a bit like engineering. You learn from failures. Regardless, I don't think he ever said he thinks Arcanum is "shit".

dunno lah

Arcane
Yeah, he only said that the UI was crap but it was good-looking, he also said the same for Fallout's UI too.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He only said, "I hate this game."
Oh, he did? Was it when he could leave the crash site? That's not really an opinion, it's more like an expression. Of hate.

Admittedly I haven't been watching LP vids too carefully, but I don't think there is enough evidence to say he hates it, and therefore adds another brick to the tomb of his downfall. It's just Codex forming opinions on shitty grounds, as always.

Quote me wrong if you can though, I might be talking out of my ass.

Lancehead

Liturgist
MCA said "oh my fucking god I hate this game" when he encountered more wolves after getting through an encounter after numerous reloads as he tried to make it to Shrouded Hills on foot. It was a comment out of the frustration of the moment, and does not reflect his views on the game. However, if you're inclined to work for the British tabloid press, you can spin the comment the way you want.

Zeriel

Arcane

Game design is a bit like engineering. You learn from failures. Regardless, I don't think he ever said he thinks Arcanum is "shit".

And much like all things in life, what we say we do is not the same as what we do. People love to talk about "learning" from things they don't like, but in practice they tend to ape things they have a lot of fun with. Very rarely does someone spend much time trying to emulate something they had a bad experience with.

Jackalope

Arcane
He just arrived at Shrouded Hills, talked with the sheriff and the store owner. After like 4 hours playing.
That's just fucking insane.
Four hours doesn't sound that band if you consider the fact that he's been playing the game for five months now and he's still not past Shrouded Hills for all we know.
Maybe he'd get inside the Bessie Toone Silver Mine by Christmas. And out of it by Easter!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Someone should get him to play Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

You can learn the true nature of a man based on how he rages at the difficult/nearly impossible.

Rake

Arcane
Someone should get him to play Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

You can learn the true nature of a man based on how he rages at the difficult/nearly impossible.
The joke will be on us when he breezes through Dark Souls. :drink:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom