Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
In this struggle between MCA and Arcanum, i choose Arcanum.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Yeah, Chris should just abandon this lp. He did what was promised, he played the game and lp'd what he did play. He obviously didn't like it and the videos have all sucked. No point in him wasting his own time as well as everyone else's on a shit lp and a game he doesn't enjoy playing.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Like you're one to talk about codex heresy, Philippe.

You know that game with the guy and the journal he keeps updating? Get to it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Stop translating my name, Homemandré Messias.

And even without beying payed to play a gifted copy of PS:T, I went further than he did.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, Chris should just abandon this lp. He did what was promised, he played the game and lp'd what he did play. He obviously didn't like it and the videos have all sucked. No point in him wasting his own time as well as everyone else's on a shit lp and a game he doesn't enjoy playing.
No. Not making to Tarant doesn't count as playing it.

This would be like quitting Half-life right after the tram ride and saying you don't like it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
No. Not making to Tarant doesn't count as playing it.

This would be like quitting Half-life right after the tram ride and saying you don't like it.
Yeah, but depending on how you play it can take forever to reach Tarant. In addition to Shrouded Hills, there's also several other entire towns with their own quests and several dungeons to explore, most of which aren't particularly interesting. Can't fault Chris for not wanting to play a game he doesn't like for 10 hours or so just to get to the good parts.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, but depending on how you play it can take forever to reach Tarant. In addition to Shrouded Hills, there's also several other entire towns with their own quests and several dungeons to explore, most of which aren't particularly interesting. Can't fault Chris for not wanting to play a game he doesn't like for 10 hours or so just to get to the good parts.
It's his own fault it's taking so long, and his own fault he agreed to play it for the kickstarter. It's part of his job now. So I can fault him for not wanting to play it. I'll consider the deal met when he gets to Tarant and does some stuff there. Until then I consider it unfulfilled.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Fair enough, but I'd much rather Chris spend his time on coming up with good ideas for Project Eternity instead of arguing with Arcanum's wolves :)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
"Good sir wolf, why do you insist on biting me to death?"
"Woof, woof."
"I don't think wolves woof."
*bites Chris to death*

(With most sincere apologies if wolves indeed do woof.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avellone writing down his thoughts about Arcanum would require actually making progress. We've already seen how that works. Look forward to Chris Avellone's Arcanum retrospective in 2023.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Avellone writing down his thoughts about Arcanum would require actually making progress. We've already seen how that works. Look forward to Chris Avellone's Arcanum retrospective in 2023.
See, I have the damndest memory of him stating in the very first video that he actually completed the game once! But that can't be true. Goddamn mushrooms.

Also "best oldie flawed gem" between DA2 and Oblivion is DA2, because at least it's fun schlock.

Helton

Arcane
See, I have the damndest memory of him stating in the very first video that he actually completed the game once! But that can't be true. Goddamn mushrooms.

Also "best oldie flawed gem" between DA2 and Oblivion is DA2, because at least it's fun schlock.
He said that he had started the game once but messed up the recording and only got a few seconds. And he'd been killed by wolves.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

He said that he had started the game once but messed up the recording and only got a few seconds. And he'd been killed by wolves.
Makes sense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The interview that resulted in RPG Codex buying Avellone Arcanum http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/obsidians-chris-avellone-interview
Eurogamer: I always felt that, prior to Bethesda's game, Troika's Arcanum was probably the closest thing to a Fallout sequel.
Chris Avellone: Umm... Well, the weird thing is, of all the games I've ...
Eurogamer: You've never played Arcanum?!
Chris Avellone: Well, look, in all the conversations I've had with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, we've never discussed it. It's always been that way.
And again http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._with_brian_fargo_and_chris/c4bv09b?context=3
I am ashamed to say that I downloaded it (along with Avernum) and it still sits on my computer because FNV and DLCs consumed all my time. Also, I'm not going to apologize for this, but I'm also not going to play it any time soon because Wasteland 1 and Grimrock will now consume my time.

An elaboration http://gamestar.ru/english/1925.html
One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered.

LeJosh

Savant
I spoke to Avellone on Twitter and all he said was this: "No, just got to wait for E3 to end. ;) Trust me, I'd rather be playing."

That's after I asked if he had given up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I spoke to Avellone on Twitter and all he said was this: "No, just got to wait for E3 to end. ;) Trust me, I'd rather be playing."

E3 wasn't happening within the last month and a half, he's just using that an excuse.

It's true he'd rather be playing but playing in this case would be "almost anything other than Arcanum"

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They've probably been crunching on the E3 demo.

Maybe the game as well.

That can easily account for being busy the last month and a half.

Edit: I want to clarify I'm talking about South Park. It is supposedly going to have a pretty big E3 presence.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
I think we should kidnap MCA and strap him to this little machine.

clock3.jpg

We'll make him love this game one way or another...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

that E3 sure keeps him busy...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom