Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Candy Crush devs go nuts - sue every game that has the words "Candy" or "Saga" in its name

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In a filing with the US trademark office dated February 6, 2013, King.com Limited registered claim to the word ‘candy’ as it pertains to video games and, strangely, clothing. On January 15, 2014 the filing was approved.
:kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania:

Angthoron

Arcane
They aren't going after things with Crush in their name?
That makes no sense - they're going after Candy and Saga but not Crush? There's even, like, a decade-old Saga: Rage of the Vikings they could force to rename, because, like, people could be confused.

In a filing with the US trademark office dated February 6, 2013, King.com Limited registered claim to the word ‘candy’ as it pertains to video games and, strangely, clothing. On January 15, 2014 the filing was approved.
:kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania:

Hey, some dude patented smile emoticon the other year.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rip Saga

Herbata-czarna-z-witamina-C-i-naturalnymi-dodatkami-68172-big.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think I'll trademark the numbers. I would be a billionaire from all the money I would get from a industry that makes nothing but sequels.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So when is World Of Tanks for example gonna trademark "world" and "tank". Imagine getting the army to pay up for tanks or better yet, the whole earth population for "world".

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyway, Polygon posted an editorial:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/21/5332560/what-kings-candy-trademark-really-means

The thing they seem to gloss over/ignore (and no, I am not a lawyer so I have no idea if this has any legal precedent or validity):

Despite the fact that the trademark on "Candy" not being fully legally valid yet, King is clearly using it already to undermine its competition or indeed completely unrelated products. King is well aware of Apple's and Google's "shoot first, ask questions later/guilty until proven innocent" stance copyright claims. King is also well aware that most games on phones are made by smaller developers who likely cannot afford legal counsel to contest the copyright claims made against them.

Effectively, King appears to be purposely and intentionally purging the market of any and all competitors that might appear under similar search terms as their own games, in what is an attempt to push their already market-leading title up the rankings and search ladder even more. This is being done in what I'd call a "bad faith" manner, with gross negligence towards and at the expense of (financial or otherwise) what are effectively unrelated enterprises which are not copyright infringing.

I have no problem with a company protecting its trademark. I am sure that King is indeed doing just that and will justify its actions on that grounds. But clearly many of the trademarks being contested are not in any way infringing, and King or its legal team appears to have put little to no thought in where or against what targets these claims are levied against.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have no problem with a company protecting its trademark. I am sure that King is indeed doing just that and will justify its actions on that grounds. But clearly many of the trademarks being contested are not in any way infringing, and King or its legal team appears to have put little to no thought in where or against what targets these claims are levied against.

Anything to speed up the second video game collapse is ok with me.

Please dear God purge this filthy market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom