Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Looks pretty branch-filled. Me like.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
After a longish period of illness I'm back into development. I'm working my way into designing various place insides, like inns, temples, shops. Yesterday just implemented the barding system for inns. Basically BaK's mechanic.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Reading a note.
7cwx4Vv.gif

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
ldcqggf.png

A mockup of the camping screen. You can use the sundial to set the time to rest to, camp until dawn or until the party is healed. In dangerous territories you may also opt for a cold camp (no campfire) and/or set up guard shifts.
All is WIP of course, and subject to change.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
What's the difference from guard shifts then?
Guard shifts prevent the party from getting ambushed and/or getting equipment stolen. The party members will not get a full night sleep (will guard 1/3 of the night in a 3-member party).

A cold camp lowers the regeneration rate of the party, does not keep beasts away, but drastically lowers the chance of enemies finding you.

This is all WIP, I'm still brainstorming on it. I realise both options perform a somewhat similar role, so I may drop one, or merge them, something. I'm open for suggestions though. :)

Last edited:

Guy de Incognito

Ensit Media
Developer
This is all WIP, I'm still brainstorming on it. I realise both options perform a somewhat similar role, so I may drop one, or merge them, something. I'm open for suggestions though. :)

Both options would add a bit of strategic depth to camping, given that an area could be more/less lawless/populated/infested etc, but I think the main benefit would be adding flavor to the game even if the differences between these options are minimal. You are giving player agency and that's a good thing, they'll feel like they have more control over the outcomes.

But I thought you wanted to add all combat encounters yourself, meaning they wouldn't be random. Did you change your mind on that?

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012

Both options would add a bit of strategic depth to camping, given that an area could be more/less lawless/populated/infested etc, but I think the main benefit would be adding flavor to the game even if the differences between these options are minimal. You are giving player agency and that's a good thing, they'll feel like they have more control over the outcomes.

But I thought you wanted to add all combat encounters yourself, meaning they wouldn't be random. Did you change your mind on that?

They are all hand-placed, but I plan on having semi-random special encounters while camping, to make the camping experience a bit more interesting and deep.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I think I might be stretching it a bit and it's unnecessary for your game, but The Fall had a nice touch -- you could see your party members doing their stuff while camping. Reading, cooking, playing cards/musical instrumets, etc. I think it's a nice idea to look into this -- either text or still images with silouetters, whatever. It could add a bit more flavor to the camping mechanic, but at the same time throw additional challenges when it comes to the implementation (writing some flavor text should be ok, silouettes -- gonna be doable, but full 3D with animations and stuff is probably unnecessary and hard to pull off just right).

177161-the-fall-last-days-of-gaia-windows-screenshot-camping.jpg

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Looks great! Now please add the option to send party members hunting/collecting herbs, too :bounce:

Believe me, it was in my design, but I've dropped it (for now). It made sense when the game had map travel, like Star Trail, but now that the game has 3D exploration it sadly doesn't anymore. I am still working on adding herbology and related goodies into the game, but we'll have to see. Fact is, that I'd like the player to pick herbs in nature, which clashes with the "automated" camping method. Same with hunting. As always, I am open to suggestions though.

I think I might be stretching it a bit and it's unnecessary for your game, but The Fall had a nice touch -- you could see your party members doing their stuff while camping. Reading, cooking, playing cards/musical instrumets, etc. I think it's a nice idea to look into this -- either text or still images with silouetters, whatever. It could add a bit more flavor to the camping mechanic, but at the same time throw additional challenges when it comes to the implementation (writing some flavor text should be ok, silouettes -- gonna be doable, but full 3D with animations and stuff is probably unnecessary and hard to pull off just right).

That is nice, but it might just be overkill. I'll think about it.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
There's a reason hourglass is the typical time-measuring device in games depicting old times. You can't use sundial to measure time at night. :P

Of course you can. It's a MAGICAL sundial. ;) Besides, making an hourglass clickable to set the time is kind of cumbersome.

Could be circumvented by a 'Search and pick up items' button with skillchecks. :P

Will have to think this through. :)

Reinar

Scholar
I'd change the title "set up guard shifts". It looks like it lets you do something more than just toggle the shifts. Maybe just "guard shifts" would be more clear.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I'd change the title "set up guard shifts". It looks like it lets you do something more than just toggle the shifts. Maybe just "guard shifts" would be more clear.

You're right. I need to change that. All the UI widgets will have a tooltip though, which may help the issue.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
The first interior scene for an inn. Still missing props and of course people. I still haven't decided how I'm going to represent NPCs in this game. Probably low poly 3D... probably.

WhiteHornInn.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom