Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "Call of Doom" - Doom 4 is fucked

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I think the "be as big as Skryim" quote was less about the game's size and more about the sales.

How the fuck does that even work? "Resistance"? Are the demons now deciding that killing humans is wasteful, better to subjugate them, and you are hiding out amongst the crowd? And people need convincing to pick up a gun and shoot rather than, I don't know what you could do, bury your head in the sand? Let me remind everyone that MOTHER FUCKING HELL IS INVADING THE WORLD.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Someone needs to make a great game with that megatexture tech. That tech is revolutionary and the whole industry needs to adopt it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
According to one source, Id originally imagined Doom 4 as a “rework” of Doom 2

They referenced it because of the amount it was scripted—there were a lot of scripted set pieces

After Doom 3 it was clear that something bad is happening with Id. But how do you rework Doom 2 and make it scripted? It's not rework, more like rerape. Probably with limited weapons.

Carmack is sucking to console players, but at least he is the engine guy and really doesn't care about art/gameplay. Rage really showed the level of stagnation in the company. “Most of [Id’s] top talent has left or been fired" - After playing the game, I really can confirm that statement. It was mediocre at best, with hideous mega-texture system, and of course regen-health. The car racing elements didn't add much. The support for PC players was laughable, guys with AMD graphic cards were screwed. Bethesda now wants to make it more Skyrim-like, opened world? Interesting concept, and with mod tools it would be a game that could catch interest to many players. But if Id will bring another bland shooter I hope they'll disassemble the company, take some stuff to internal departments and finally give this developer a well deserved rest.
aIl4y75.gif

Fixed that for you :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
According to one source, Id originally imagined Doom 4 as a “rework” of Doom 2

They referenced it because of the amount it was scripted—there were a lot of scripted set pieces

After Doom 3 it was clear that something bad is happening with Id. But how do you rework Doom 2 and make it scripted? It's not rework, more like rerape. Probably with limited weapons.

Carmack is sucking to console players, but at least he is the engine guy and really doesn't care about art/gameplay. Rage really showed the level of stagnation in the company. “Most of [Id’s] top talent has left or been fired" - After playing the game, I really can confirm that statement. It was mediocre at best, with hideous mega-texture system, and of course regen-health. The car racing elements didn't add much. The support for PC players was laughable, guys with AMD graphic cards were screwed. Bethesda now wants to make it more Skyrim-like, opened world? Interesting concept, and with mod tools it would be a game that could catch interest to many players. But if Id will bring another bland shooter I hope they'll disassemble the company, take some stuff to internal departments and finally give this developer a well deserved rest.
aIl4y75.gif

Fixed that for you :smug:
That happened earlier. :smug:

I just tried to find doomguy's death sprite, but google decided to suck, so I settled for DN3D screenshot, with Duke's gun suggesting imminent coup de grace.

I know Draq, I know. Too bad that even such easter eggs aren't made. Duke isn't in good shape either, after the neverending story of development and Gearbox salvaging the mutated code he ended like a game, which you can take on flea market.

And to think, that a joke would become a reality. :shivers:

DraQ

Arcane
I know Draq, I know. Too bad that even such easter eggs aren't made. Duke isn't in good shape either, after the neverending story of development and Gearbox salvaging the mutated code he ended like a game, which you can take on flea market.
Well, technically Caleb got done in first, even before the actual decline - *cough* Blood 2 *cough*.

Gozma

Arcane
The guy needs to cut the walkspeed by 75% in those videos

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
"Fuck you Bethesda, Doom 4 must wait. I'm enjoying my vacation research for idTech 6 in space right now"

john-carmack-in-space.jpg

I for the life of mine cannot understand why Carmack still bothers to stay in the game business.

Clearly the guy is only interested in graphical technology not in gameplay. And his ideas of graphical technology are limited by shitty consoles and retarded developers and designers.

Why does a God still bother to mingle with retarded mortals?

Thanks for the trailer Ninja Destroyer

But here's a newer Doom 4 gameplay trailer

The link to it is showing near the end of the first one. Dat blood on the screen is funny. But thanks anyway skyway .

Well, technically Caleb got done in first, even before the actual decline - *cough* Blood 2 *cough*.

The biggest problem about B2 is that shooting parts aren't fun like in the original. And no TNT was a big :decline:. There were more weapons but only sawed-off shotgun and flaregun had some style. Nightmare level pack was more varied, Caleb returning to killing monks... Nevertheless turning enemies with pistols into pool of bloods was ridiculous, and Lithtech was more appropriate for Shogo. The music is what keeps me replaying both of them :oops: . Also

fkK7v0g.jpg

Don't forget about Unreal 2, since we are in shattering mood mode :troll:

Doom community is the best one :thumbsup:

MapMan

Arcane

Except he totally does. Dig up his interviews about rage. He's still good old PC gamer at heart but he's also a business man and knows the market. I remember there was one long interview with him pre-rage where he admitted that him and artists literally CRIED over how they have to downsample textures and models. Then he went on to say how everything was colorful and nice looking and then BAM POST PROCESSING BABY! He's not an idiot, he realizes all this. Then in a post rage interview he stated that it was mistake to do a game trying to appeal all. It wasnt a cod clone, it wasnt a real pc game. Rage was something inbetween which in turn appealed to neither. Nor pc gamers, not consoletards. He regret that and said they should've focused on PC first and foremost.

Except he totally does. Dig up his interviews about rage. He's still good old PC gamer at heart but he's also a business man and knows the market. I remember there was one long interview with him pre-rage where he admitted that him and artists literally CRIED over how they have to downsample textures and models. Then he went on to say how everything was colorful and nice looking and then BAM POST PROCESSING BABY! He's not an idiot, he realizes all this. Then in a post rage interview he stated that it was mistake to do a game trying to appeal all. It wasnt a cod clone, it wasnt a real pc game. Rage was something inbetween which in turn appealed to neither. Nor pc gamers, not consoletards. He regret that and said they should've focused on PC first and foremost.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37768/Carmack_PC_Not_The_Leading_Platform_For_Games.php

Coming that from someone who buyed his first Ferrari thanks to PC gamers wasn't a middle finger? How many graphic options can you change in Rage?

Doom 3 was a "teleport monster opposite and behind me" and was mediocre. Mega textures looks very nice, but how many memory would you need for a maximum details? I like Carmack interviews, but when you see Unreal engine dominating, and even Source having bigger portfolio, there is something wrong. I hope that I'll be proven wrong with Doom 4.

Stabwound

Arcane
Why can't they just make a fucking Doom 4 like 1-2? It would sell. Don't add stupid space ships and sci fi shit, don't add scripted events and fucking flashlights and whatever this junk is. Reboot it if you have to. Just drop a guy in hell, give him a pistol and stiff limbs so he can't crouch behind chest-high walls, and then drop in thosands of enemies to slaughter, done.

Doom isn't a fucking cinematic, story driven shooter. It doesn't even need a huge budget. Big publishers are the cancer of the gaming industry.

Ah, who cares. Doom is long gone. It's not a small group of nerds/metal heads making an awesome game they themselves want to play. It's a bunch of hipsters lead by Carmack and taking it up the ass by Bethesda suits.

:decline:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
What’s more likely, sources told me, is that if Id can’t get Doom 4 together, ZeniMax could clean house and refocus the company to work on tech like the Id Tech 5 engine, which is currently being used for multiple projects at studios owned by ZeniMax.
Actually that's not a bad idea. It has been clear for almost a decade Carmack is more interested in building engines (and I guess rockets) than making games. Turning ID into a pure tech studio would make sense. Also...

Doom 4 will not be a good game unless John Romero comes back. There, I said it.
Yes. Romero fucked up real bad with Daikatana, but he was still the crazy idea guy who gave us a lot of the spirit of Quake and DooM. If they want a good DooM, they need to hire either Romero...
...but even better, how about the guy who did Brutal Doom? :takemymoney:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Doom wasn't grimdark, it was over the top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom