Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BROS ULTIMA SAVAGE EMPIRE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I DONT KNOW IF I CAN FINISH THIS ONE

THE STORY IS KINDA COOL BUT THE RPG ELEMENT IS ABOUT NONEXISTANT THERE SEEMS TO BE NO PROGRESSION IN ABILITIES OR ANYTHING AND NOT MUCH LOOT OR ANYTHING

THE VILLAGES ARE ALSO VERY HOMOGENOUUOS THERE IS A CHEIF A SHAMAN AND THEN MR GENEREIC PERSONS

AI IS DISSAPPOINTING ALSO I WAS MURDERING A TON OF WARRIORS IN THE AZTEC VILLAGE AND NO ONE GAVE A SHIT

BROS HOW IS LAZARUS IN TERMS OF PROGRESSION OF ENCOUNTERS I KNOW ULTIMA 5 YOU GOT ALL BADASS AS YOU PROGRESSED AND AT FIRST DRAGONS AND STUFF WOULD FUCK YOU UP

Wanted to try this game out but after reading your post BRO I think I'll pass. I really like Ultima 6 engine but if you say that there is hardly any rpg elements I will try Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale instead (it looks like a Ultima 6 direct rip-off, and that's a good thing)

Silellak

Cipher
BLOBERT said:
BROS HOW IS LAZARUS IN TERMS OF PROGRESSION OF ENCOUNTERS I KNOW ULTIMA 5 YOU GOT ALL BADASS AS YOU PROGRESSED AND AT FIRST DRAGONS AND STUFF WOULD FUCK YOU UP
Resident Lazarus fanboy reporting in.

I would say, from what I remember, progression in Lazarus was pretty much perfect. Certain enemies (dragons, demons) will fuck your shit up until you have the best possible characters and equipment - and even then, it can be pretty tough. The character and leveling systems themselves aren't the world's most complex, but it's at least on par with the other Ultima games of the time, and the new class-specific abilities add a nice aspect to the leveling system that wasn't present in the original. I don't think it's quite on par with the original in terms of difficulty, particularly in the Underworld, but there's certainly no scaling of encounters or other "retard friendly" features. If you fuck up, or you aren't prepared, and you go somewhere dangerous, then you will die.

Seriously: just play Lazarus. You won't regret it. And if you do - fuck you. Your taste in games in shit. :obviously:

Resident Lazarus fanboy signing off.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I loved Savage Empire back in the day. It's more of an adventure game than a true RPG though.

Elzair

Cipher
Ivar the Boner said:
Wanted to try this game out but after reading your post BRO I think I'll pass. I really like Ultima 6 engine but if you say that there is hardly any rpg elements I will try Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale instead (it looks like a Ultima 6 direct rip-off, and that's a good thing)

You could look at my LP to see if you like it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Lazarus was freaking amazing. The quality of the music and writing that was added to the original dialog was most impressive. Never did finish it tho.

So for those who played the ultima six remake how does it compare to Lazarus?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS HAVENT TRIED MARTIAN DREAMS EITHER DONT KNOW IFIT IS SAME SHIT DIFFERENT GAME OR WAHT

Varn

Educated
I've played Martian Dreams and it's the same stuff. Basically an adventure game trying to look like an RPG as it does have some very basic combat.

Really interesting setting and very cool game though so worth a play even if it's not a true RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BLOBERT, stop playing any game you are playing right now and play Lazarus. Since I know of your absolute love of Ultima V, you will have a fucking orgasm.

Okay seeing as this topic is about Lazarus now:
I downloaded Lazarus and managed to find my old DS cds (although with a huge scratch on the back of 1 cd) and it managed to install okay, but when it came to patch it, the patch failed when it got to Objects.DSRes, saying it is corrupt.

Tried copying/reinstalling etc. Still the same thing.

Anyone have any solutions or know a place where I can download just the Objects.DSRes?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALRIGHT BROS I GOT DS AND LAZARUS INSTALLED AND IT WORKS AND I WILL START IT NEXT WEEK I GOT WORK AND GOTTO GO OUT OF TOWN I WILL LET MY BROS KNOW MY HOUGHTS

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BROS I WENT THROUGH ALL THAT TROUBLE TO MANUFACTURE GUNPOWDER AND RIFLES BUT FOUND OUT THEY HAVE TO BE RELOADED MANUALLY, IS IT WORTH IT OR SHOULD I JUST USE BOW AND ARROWS AND DUAL WIELD SWORDS? ALSO WHY CAN"T I TEACH NATIVES HOW TO USE GUNS, IF YOU CAN SHOOT A BOW YOU CAN SHOOT GUNS.

WHY IS THE GRAPHICS WORSE THAN ULTIMA 6?

I ALSO HAVEN'T TRIED LAZARUS. MAYBE AFTER MARTIAN DREAMS. PLAYED THE TWO ADVENTURES MANY MANY YEARS AGO BUT NEVER COMPLETED THEM.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a savage empire remake in the ultima 7 engine ongoing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SCO said:

Yeah. To be honest, I just can't stand the Ultime VI engine. I'd rather play V or VII but not VI. I hope that remake does get finished. He added some really fucking cool new art assets for it. I don't think I could ever play it again in the VI engine.

MMXI

Arcane
Jaesun said:
SCO said:

Yeah. To be honest, I just can't stand the Ultime VI engine. I'd rather play V or VII but not VI. I hope that remake does get finished. He added some really fucking cool new art assets for it. I don't think I could ever play it again in the VI engine.
I don't mind VI's engine though I think a combination of VI and VII's would have been better. I like the solid turn-based and grid-based theme of VI's engine but at the same time I much prefer VII's refined inventory and minimal UI. In comparison, V's is highly usable but I do like the seamless nature of VI and the consistent view throughout the game.

What would be awesome is an Ultima engine that can be used for remakes of all the Ultima games. Then all of the games can be combined into one long Ultima game where each chapter is each game, with the Avatar going home and returning between chapters as he does between games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MMXI said:
What would be awesome is an Ultima engine that can be used for remakes of all the Ultima games. Then all of the games can be combined into one long Ultima game where each chapter is each game, with the Avatar going home and returning between chapters as he does between games.

Exult is fully moddable. Get to it dude. ;)

That said I know one guy is working on doing Ultima VI in Exult. If only they could somehow implement turn-based combat into the engine...

MMXI

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Exult is fully moddable. Get to it dude. ;)

That said I know one guy is working on doing Ultima VI in Exult. If only they could somehow implement turn-based combat into the engine...
That's kind of my point. Exult is an Ultima VII engine remake. And considering Ultima VII did quite a lot of things worse than previous games, remaking Ultima V in it would probably result in a worse game unless the engine is heavily tweaked.

Varn

Educated
On this note is U7/Serpent Isle even an RPG? I'm playing through The Black Gate at the moment and although it has stats, armor/weapons and combat, it seems they make little difference to the combat encounters. Combat consists of about a 1-2 second fight which you almost always win.

Are there tough enemies that will own you etc. unless you're developed enough or have the right items? Seems more like an adventure game otherwise.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In U7, your party members start off with stats strong enough to handle pretty much everything. Armour do make a lot of difference and you get access to chain and plate very early. I guess this makes sense according to game lore. it also has to do with the way stats are handled in this game. HP = strength, which means short fights and with everyone in your party taking a swing...
This is why I edit party stats to be lower. Having a smaller party will make also you weaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom