Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Playing through 1 right now. I was thinking of playing the 1 and 2 original versions first, then the DCs straight after. Is that a good idea?
I really don't know. I played the first one in original version. I don't have the DC version of Shadow of the Templar. The second one (Smoking Mirror) I got the DC version, and I don't like some stuff that was added, like this "Hints Button" that tells you how to solve the current puzzle.

I liked the first one better than the second, but I don't know if that's because the firsts one was a better game, or because I played the dumbed down, DC version of the second one.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I have only played the first DC. I think the second was only released for tablets or something like that. Somebody here must know.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
They are Dave Gibbon's work. You know, of Watchmen fame. He also did the art for BASS. I don't really hate them so much. They obviously don't go well with Disney style art, though.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
It is him alright. I remember interviews and announcements when the game was coming out.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I'm also kinda dislike the art style of the portraits and characters. But they are way better than the 3D models they used in the last two games. Also, although ugly, the chars are serviceable, and if the game is good then I don't think it will be an issue.

kaizoku

Arcane
Also keep in mind this is a VERY "nice" game, youth friendly, with no immorality or wanton violence at all, and the few "game overs" are realistic in their premise and don't even show any blood or gore(a black screen, gunshot sounds and an image of a graveyard offends libruls nowadays?). Ugh... to think they actually edited and censored it(however small that censoring and editing was) makes my head hurt.
It has been... what? a decade?... since I last played BS1 & BS2, and I don't remember anything about violence or gore or immorality.
Can you ask them regarding those issues?
I would ask them myself, but I guess I'm going to replay the games during this weekend, since it has been so long... and I don't want to be spoiled :p

Part 4 ends in a cliffhanger and this new sequel will obviously have to take it from there.

And add this question also.

I really don't know. I played the first one in original version. I don't have the DC version of Shadow of the Templar. The second one (Smoking Mirror) I got the DC version, and I don't like some stuff that was added, like this "Hints Button" that tells you how to solve the current puzzle.

I liked the first one better than the second, but I don't know if that's because the firsts one was a better game, or because I played the dumbed down, DC version of the second one.

BS1 has a better plot IMO.

I asked them about the characters and while they appreciated the input they said although they are WIP they are pretty much finalized, as they already went with many different iterations... but will still raise my points at the next meeting.
Unless they were bullshiting me (which I doubt) that's a pretty cool attitude by them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You mean about the look of the characters? If so, I figure you weren't the only one who wrote them about that.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I say that we should settle with this. I mean even if you don't like the art style of the characters, the game could be a worthy Broken Sword sequel. If we want to bitch and moan about other games, then there's the Wasteland 2 threads to do it (just an example).

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Well, that is the thing I said, there is nothing objectionable about any of those games. No blood, no gore, no immorality, nothing. And yet they ended up doing ridiculous things like cutting out those death sequences and censoring out some of the dialog and jokes. I don't remember precisely what dialog they cut out, but it was jokes about americans, french, terrorists and somethings that they think was not offensive back then but is now. It was pretty ridiculous stuff. You can google it.

I don't know, maybe it is not their fault. We all know how Britain is, maybe their rating systems are too tight-assed nowadays and they had to do it.

Many people played the DCs and didn't even notice it though, it was pretty small and unimportant stuff. The most glaring was the absence of the death sequences and some editing in that cutscene where the guy is run over by a ferrari in Ireland. I think it is better not to even ask, considering how this series was always light to begin with.

I don't know, maybe just ask about death sequences? I think parts 3 and 4 had them.

I asked them about the characters and while they appreciated the input they said although they are WIP they are pretty much finalized, as they already went with many different iterations... but will still raise my points at the next meeting.
Unless they were bullshiting me (which I doubt) that's a pretty cool attitude by them.

That is indeed pretty cool, but I woudn't really complain about how the characters look. I think it is fine. The Disney like stuff from the first two games wasn't particularly groundbreaking or anything. Plus parts 3 and 4, shitty as they were, had the characters presented in a more realistic style.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I say that we should settle with this. I mean even if you don't like the art style of the characters, the game could be a worthy Broken Sword sequel. If we want to bitch and moan about other games, then there's the Wasteland 2 threads to do it (just an example).

Yeah, it's not a big deal. Just George looks kinda weird to me.

kaizoku

Arcane
Did anyone bitch or moan here?

Everyone here wants to see a worthy successor to BS1+2, and while graphics aren't the most important thing, old gamers still prefer a look closer to the original games.

I gave them my feedback and there is nothing wrong with that. If it improves for the better then fine, if it doesn't that is ok too.

Deleted member 7219

I don't know, maybe it is not their fault. We all know how Britain is, maybe their rating systems are too tight-assed nowadays and they had to do it.

Beg pardon? Care to back that up with something? Games don't get banned here in the UK... they used to, years ago, but not any more. The last game to be banned was Manhunt 2 and that was because it was a piece of shit. This isn't Germany or Australia.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Not banned: rated. I don't know how it works in each country, but it could be that a random blood splatter or mention of violence and death gets you from G to PG-13 or something. Plus they dubbed the game in several languages and sold it in a number of countries. It could be related to dealing with harsh rating systems that could cut back some sales.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am super pumped up about this. I loved the first two Broken Sword games, and it looks like Revolution will be doing the right thing and sticking to their roots. I tossed them a bit of cash, and it's looking good with almost 50% funding after a couple days...

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
They’re fascinating. They were at the beginning of the 13th century, when the Pope and the king of France got together, and launched a crusade against the people of the Languedoc, which is south-west France. It was incredibly brutal, and it was ultimately to try and finally destroy the Cathar, who were Gnostic.

What was it that the church was so appalled by? Why were they so determined? And then what really caught my eye was a testament – part of the Gnostic gospels – called theTestament Of Truth. In the Testament Of Truth, the story of Genesis is told, but told from a different perspective. It’s told from the perspective of a jealous God, and the Bringer Of Light. The Bringer Of Light comes to liberate man to give them knowledge. Of course the Bringer Of Light is Lucifer. So Lucifer has a totally different slant from this gospel’s perspective.
And I think this throws up really interesting ideas, both from a theological perspective, from a social perspective in the way that we are effected by religion, and these are the ideas that we are exploring in the story. From my perspective it’s a really fascinating subject, and it’s very rich. I hope that we convey that level of enthusiasm and excitement in the game. I’m confident that we will.

Yeah, okay, I 'm withdrawing my pledge. The Da Vinci Code bullshit is way overdone at this point. I had no idea they would be stupid enough to try it again. Can't they have an original idea? This is one of the main reasons why Broken Sword 3 and 4 were so shitty. I will save my money for something else.

Honestly, I find the satanic slant of the Cathars(something that PC historians tend to ignore) very interesting. It could even lead to an interesting plot, but after the massive steaming pile of Dan Brown-esque shit that they pulled off with BS 4? After 3 out of 4 games in the series touched on this, and only one managed to pull it off well(the first one)? No thanks.

It just shows how self-exhausted this Cecil guy is. Broken Sword 1 was good, but it wasn't written by him. Broken Sword 2 was decent and a different theme, but barely as good. With 3 and 4 he tried to recycle the first game instead of moving on, and failed utterly. And now... he thinks 3rd time is the charm. Templars, templars and templars, gnostic conspiracies till the end of times! They should remove Broken Sword 2 from the series continuity and label it a spin off.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Yeah, I personally gave up on this after that interview. It is way past the time for them to change the tune.

I knew they would have to address the Templar plot because the 4th game ended in a cliffhanger, but I was hoping they would finally divert to a different idea(as it happened in BS2).

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm going to be royally pissed if the story takes an (un)expected swerve into the tired, heretical "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" territory.
Give me a fucking break, Cecil. Trying to stir up controversy as opposed to creating a semblance of a solid plot?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I loved the first BS game, but IMO the decline started from the The Smoking Mirror. I found the quality of writing and gameplay inferior to Shadow Of The Templars, but it was still ok.

BS3 was a piece of crap with a retarded story and idiotic push-the-crate puzzles. I reluctantly gave BS4 a try and got bored after half an hour and dropped it. It seems that while Dave Cummins and Jonathan Howard wrote the first 2, Cecil himself and Neil Richards wrote the last 2 and they did a horrible job. Cummins also wrote the script for BASS, he is a good writer.

So basically it comes down to this. Is Cecil the writer of the new game, or has he summoned back the original writers ? If it's the latter I'll back this up, if it's the former... no.

[tag]Astral Rag[/tag] seems to have some connection with the project, maybe he can clear this up about who the writers are.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Honestly, I find the satanic slant of the Cathars(something that PC historians tend to ignore) very interesting.

What's ignored? There isn't really any "satanic" slant to Catharism (and Satan being ill-defined in general).

Satan isn't ill-defined at all.

Cecil mentions the "Gospel of Truth" in that interview. It is one of the main texts used to attack the gnostics, both before and after the rise of Catharism. You see, they believed in two gods: a lesser god, earthly, evil and opressive(The "Demiurge") and an enlightened god, the one that offered salvation through... knowledge. Now, the orthodoxy obviously shunned these heretical views, but there was more. This division between two "gods" and some of the characteristics of the second "god"(the one they worshipped) was what lead Saint Dominic and others of accusing them of devil worship before the Albingensian crusade.

And it makes all the sense in the world really. "Lucifer" means "Light bearer" after all, and the tempting serpent at the garden of Eden("Lucifer" again) used offerings of knowledge and power to deceive humanity. The symbolism is clear. Couple that with the gnostic belief that knowledge and enlightenment would lead them to be "as God" and you got the picture.

Most of the favorable depictions of Cathars(and gnostics in general) you find nowadays are really wishy-washy. Much of our knowledge about them might be biased and exagerated, but their shit was obviously crazy.

BS3 was a piece of crap with a retarded story and idiotic push-the-crate puzzles. I reluctantly gave BS4 a try and got bored after half an hour and dropped it.

You saved yourself. It was even worst than the third.

The story involved a Vatican sub-mafia plotting to wipe out "non-believers" using a majistical anti-matter machine. You couldn't make that shit up. I don't remember quite well, but apparently it was based on some other Dan Brown book that had a similar plot. 3 and 4 suffered from that double fail, bad gameplay and bad writing.

Imho, one of the reasons 3 and 4 failed was that they tried to capitalize on the Dan Brown shit(the original game was often compared to it for some reason) and decided to replay these Templars/Gnostic conspiracies. I'm really disappointed they will do it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom