Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BRINK: THE END OF GAMES AS WE KNOW IT , POPAMOLE REVOLUTION

KurtH

Liturgist
Play SMART – Brink uses the familiar shooter controls that you’re used to, without frustrating, artificial constraints and adds a new feature: the SMART button. When you press the SMART button, the game dynamically evaluates where you’re trying to get to, and makes it happen. Whether you’re a seasoned FPS veteran or someone just getting started, you’ll be able to make more intelligent decisions during the fast-paced action with SMART.
. . .

:x :x :x :x

lightbane

Arcane
The irony is killing me. If that statement is true this game will really have an "instant win" button.

Achilles

Arcane
KurtH said:
Play SMART – Brink uses the familiar shooter controls that you’re used to, without frustrating, artificial constraints and adds a new feature: the SMART button. When you press the SMART button, the game dynamically evaluates where you’re trying to get to, and makes it happen. Whether you’re a seasoned FPS veteran or someone just getting started, you’ll be able to make more intelligent decisions during the fast-paced action with SMART.
. . .

:shock: They kicked the popamole into overdrive....

Joghurt

Augur
Well the way I see it the button will be like Assassin's Creed running. You hold the button and you get where you want. It wasn't fun in AC because all you did was running. It this on the other hand you'll have to shoot stuff while jumping over shit. Might be fun for a few days.

Antihero

Liturgist
KurtH said:
. . .

Meh, could be worse. If it's anything like ETQW, it'll just mean the XP-whores have an easier time of "do useless thing that won't help us win", and maybe fewer people trying to figure out where an underground objective is (which could be solved by arrows or God forbid learning the map).

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
KurtH said:
. . .

MAKE INTELLIGENT DECISIONS BY PRESSING THE WIN BUTTON

Alexandros said:
I dumped racing in sports because that's what they are basically (competitive activities). I totally forgot about party games. So we have three genres: Action, Sports and Casual. Everything else died a gruesome death at the hands of the Popamole squads.

Fighting games as well, if you count those. It's probably the one genre that's really maintained its identity and hasn't succumbed to popamole (except minor flirting with stuff like Ultra moves, which can be fairly easily avoided in most cases anyway), I'd maybe argue that they have more pure gameplay than any other genre. Unfortunately, I still them boring, but it's worth noting.

MikeJahn

Educated
I saw they had a lot of uncle toms hanging around the office, was the marketing their idea?

zeitgeist

Magister
lightbane said:
The irony is killing me. If that statement is true this game will really have an "instant win" button.
They're already present in various forms - the "automatic easy mode" in Bayonetta, various one-button takedowns from stealth, action and sandbox console games, one-button cover or escape systems and so on. Even AC's "hold one button and look at your hero perform all these cool parkour moves while you don't have to do anything but press forward" is that, in a sense.

Console games in general have been moving from players controlling the on-screen action towards the game just doing its own thing with as little input as possible for quite a while now. This is IMO largely because couch+TV is, no matter whether the couch potato in question is playing a game, watching a TV series or the news channel, considered a passive form of entertainment, and people who engage in it as a pastime mainly just want to watch some stuff happen on the screen and relax.

Zeus

Cipher
These guys' last game, Heavenly Sword, had a great story. Seriously. It had easily my favorite game villains in years, and the whole feel of the game was that of the first Conan movie. Very medieval and larger than life, in a way that it shouldn't work but it totally did. Lots of comedy in all the right spots, especially from the main baddy (voiced by the guy who did Gollum). The "cat girl" was annoying, but what can ya do.

The story was co-written by Rhianna Pratchett, who's turning into one of my favorite videogame writers. (She worked on Overlord 1 & 2, and the Divinity II and Risen translations.)

Antihero

Liturgist
Who knows. As long as they don't try to pander to BF2-tards and Bethesda gives them a marketing budget they may at least not go bankrupt.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
KurtH said:
. . .

It is described in retarded way but in fact what it does is something like this:
- if you're standing next to the wall and press the button your character will start climbing,
- if you are looking up and press the button, character will jump,
- if you are looking down and press the button, character will crouch.

So it's in no way a win button but just a stupid gimmick forced by the fact that gamepads have limited number of buttons and the developers of Brink had no more place to include both buttons for jumping and crouching.

Link to a presentation (skip to 1:10)

chzr

Scholar
lol that reminds me of HOMM6 'less resources make game moar strategic' logic.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

It's time to kick this streamlining into overdrive!

Pegultagol

Erudite
KurtH said:
. . .

keybind SMART = uninstall.exe

the only SMART decision.

bert

Arcane
They tried way too hard with that developer diary. :M

Also Tribes 1 and 2 are freeware :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Definitely a flop.

Deus Ex 3 and Rage are gonna be the only FPS games I'll play in the foreseeable future.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Do people still play any of the Tribes games? Never played them, but I've been interested for a while.

Not sure. They released a couple of sequels, but the series went into a steep decline starting with Tribes 2. It's free now so there may still be a few servers around. The community as a whole is dead though. Nowadays, if you want a decent class-based team shooter, TF2 is probably your best bet. Play engineer if you can't live without the base-building elements of Tribes.

Destroid

Arcane
TF2 is nothing like and no-where near as good as any tribes game.

Tribes 2 or TV is probably your best shot at getting a game, I don't think you need a key for T2 anymore so no harm in giving it a crack.

Prepare to be thoroughly dominated though, as with such an old game players will have a very high level of skill (and the Tribes games have a very high ceiling compared to most FPS).

MetalCraze

Arcane
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Do people still play any of the Tribes games? Never played them, but I've been interested for a while.

Goons have a server, they usually have at least 20+ people playing there, 50+ on weekends. They only play CTF though, but it's still very fun. None of the teamwork from more serious games though, but there are people who just run around healing their teammates or just defending outposts and noone complains - so your back is covered most of the time. Some weapons also require 2 people to use and it isn't hard to find an assistance. Also control points that you take aren't just a stupid line to the enemy base, they give various bonuses to your team.
I have two big problems with that server however - it's in US and so the ping for me is p. huge and better players sometimes stick to the same team so game turns into a one-sided rape.

Also it's one of those games you have to learn to play as it's physics-based

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom