Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines glitch reporting forum up

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Okay talking about respawning bs. The worst case I've seen so far is in the Hollywood cemetary. This isn't really a spoiler because it's just a side quest that really doesn't do much, but I found it to be TOTALLY BS! It makes the plaguebearer quest look like dozen fresh cut roses. It's truly ridiculous, I had to try it at least 30-35 times in order to beat that piece of shit (even though I didn't have to, I felt compelled to do it just to show that I could). The only reason I beat it was through luck. The AI fucked up and stopped attacking, that's the only reason. So, yeah, that one pissed me off.

Oh and Saint, what were you talking about the combos? You mean there are different combos if you start left or right? If so, I've never seen them, could it be because I rebound my keys (I always do that for games before I even play it for the first time, they never have the configuration I like). I have seen a combo if you press back and attack and if you just keep clicking the mouse button though.

EDIT: I found out how to do the left and right combos. My bad for being so damned reactionary.

suibhne

Erudite
I tried it five times and gave up, figuring I'd come back later when my Melee skill is above 5 and I'm wielding better weapons. My Ranged combat skill is only 2, so that's not the way to go.

It's difficult to accomplish this quest with melee weapons, so Dojoteef isn't just blowing smoke. The zombies aren't any problem at all - they fall to my Fire Axe like wheat beneath the scythe; the problem is that, even burning through my whole blood pool with Celerity, I can't be in both places at once. Maybe you just got lucky on your first run-through.

Most maddening was the fact that I lost the first time I tried it by only 3 seconds. :x

Whipporowill

Erudite
Begin by the lower gate, keep lookout at the top of the turn and just do what you can. Bloodbuffs are probably more useful than celerity for this one. But yeah, maybe I just got lucky - even though my char was a Ventrue and not THAT focused in melee, even though I had some.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
suibhne said:
Has anyone found Intimidation useful? I'm curious whether it would add genuinely new dialogue-based solutions which wouldn't otherwise be possible with Persuasion.

Intimidate does give you options that make your character out to be a nasty mo-fo. I find it to be the angry-child version of Persuasion. I'm not sure if it has long term effects on people's attitudes for you though as I have not used it yet. For instance:

Persuasion choice: "I could really use that item. blah blah blah...."

Intimidation choice: "You might wanna give me that item if you wish to see tomorrow."

Those are just examples I made up, but you get the idea.

Spazmo

Erudite
Persuasion and the other speech skills are pretty useful in Bloodlines to be sure, but they are far from complete replacements for combat skills. You just can't get through the game without some fighting ability.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Persuasion and the other speech skills are pretty useful in Bloodlines to be sure, but they are far from complete replacements for combat skills. You just can't get through the game without some fighting ability.

That sucks.

Yes it does. I had to pump up my melee and buy a bunch of books to up my ranged now my character feels a little over powered. I also have a fully automatic shotgun just after arriving at hollywood.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well, I didn't play through the cemetary with my Ventrue yet. I did it with my gunslinger Malkavian first. I had a 9 in ranged combat. I only had about 50 pistol ammo, and I would give them all head shots. I went through all 50 of my bullets. Then I started using the Spaz 15 (the automatic shotgun). That's when I got fed up with the ranged combat. The kick back on the shotgun was ridiculous.

Literally, when I finished there were 10 zombies on the bottom gate that had gotten stuck on each other (which is what saved me) and about 5 zombies I was taking care of at the top. My problem was I wasn't quick enough to be in both places at once. When I would go to the other gate, by the time I got back, there would be 4-5 zombies busting on the gate (at least near the end of the mission with 2 minutes left). Maybe the respawn rate was just faster with mine because I killed so many of them so quickly with just a headshot, I don't know. All I know is I was swamped beyond belief.

suibhne

Erudite
dojoteef said:
Maybe the respawn rate was just faster with mine because I killed so many of them so quickly with just a headshot, I don't know. All I know is I was swamped beyond belief.

That's a really interesting thought. My success rate (the remaining time when one of the gates fell) declined considerably as my zombie-killing skills improved, so it makes sense to theorize that the respawn rate increases as the zombies are dispatched - in which case we could try killing only the ones directly attacking the gate, while leading all of the others around the cemetery on a wild Vamp chase. It's clear that some zombies go for a gate while others go after you, and I'm wondering whether they ever switch targets; if not, this could be highly effective.

I look forward to testing this tonight. :D

The Romero character is downright hilarious, so I don't mind going through that convo again.

Spazmo

Erudite
I just hacked them up with my knife (I call it Mack) and had no trouble at all, though the gates did get rather dented...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lomer said:
What happened to your diplomacy character (a Malkavian as far as I remember)? Suffered final death :lol: ?

Nah, I've been playing that one all morning. I've finally got that character up to snuff when it comes to brawling that I can get passed certain combat situations. I also added another level of demention, so I can do that insta-kill on humans.

The Malkavian is probably one of the best clans, IMHO. They get a bonus to perception, which is fine since I'd rather not actually devote too much experience in to something like that. They get some of the best dialogue in the game. They get sex fetish armor. They have a discipline which not only gives them an insta-kill attack, but also gives them dialogue options where they can spend blood points to influence the dialogue.

Of course, the downsides are that they're not good fighters initially and they don't have much in the way of combat disciplines. Auspex can be used to buff ranged combat skills and Demention can be used to do that insta-kill on mortals, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, I also want the person who designed that mansion, specifically the last part of it, fired... promptly.

suibhne

Erudite
My hypothesis was way off; the zombie spawning seems related to time elapsed rather than how many of them you kill, so you're probably better off killing them as soon as they rise.

And I still can't finish the goddamn quest. :x

Lomer

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Oh yeah, I also want the person who designed that mansion, specifically the last part of it, fired... promptly.

First the designer of the respawny horde zone in Downtown, now this one. You are going to fire the whole junior designer level :wink: . You should be more forgiving :lol: . Some of these guys may turn out real gems in next Troika’s projects (if any). For instance MCA also started his career with some questionable design decisions in Fallout 2.

Actually the Malkavian mansion wasn’t that bad. I really liked some parts of it, such as the room with the two mirrors or the mad voices. And a simple shotgun would have made the last part quite easy for you (as I proved with my gunslinger Toreador). Though I suppose it is real pain for a melee or non-combat character.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
suibhne said:
My hypothesis was way off; the zombie spawning seems related to time elapsed rather than how many of them you kill, so you're probably better off killing them as soon as they rise.

Here's the fun part.. It seems to save all the zombie count when you exit the map and go back.

And I still can't finish the goddamn quest. :x

Do the Prince's quests for Downtown and then go to Hollywood. Then head back to that area. Those quests are way too tough for where they are as sidequests, especially one given in the location where you're told by several NPCs to go first once you get there. They also don't reward much in the way of experience, so I'm guessing they weren't intended to be that difficult.

Lomer said:
First the designer of the respawny horde zone in Downtown, now this one. You are going to fire the whole junior designer level. You should be more forgiving. Some of these guys may turn out real gems in next Troika’s projects (if any). For instance MCA also started his career with some questionable design decisions in Fallout 2.

The sewers of hollywood guy is rapidly climbing my shitlist as well. Really, there's been enough games with bad stuff like what's in those areas for designers these days not to make the same damned mistakes.

Mendoza

Liturgist
The Malkavian mansion is probably my favorite mission so far. I loved all the recording left behind. As for the last bit, couldn't you have used obfuscate and ran past everything?

Saint_Proverbius said:
Do the Prince's quests for Downtown and then go to Hollywood. Then head back to that area. Those quests are way too tough for where they are as sidequests, especially one given in the location where you're told by several NPCs to go first once you get there. They also don't reward much in the way of experience, so I'm guessing they weren't intended to be that difficult.

Oddly enough, I did all the Downtown quest before I visited the Prince, and never had any problems. All as a smooth talking Ventrue too, though I think the main reason for my success was pumping up fortitude early on as it seems to make you virtually impervious to most damage.

The sewers of hollywood guy is rapidly climbing my shitlist as well. Really, there's been enough games with bad stuff like what's in those areas for designers these days not to make the same damned mistakes.

This has been my only real annoying mission so far. It was samey, twice as long as it should have been, and didn't offer nearly enough puzzles and clever options. That said, I really liked the Nosferatu later when I got there. Very atmospheric.

suibhne

Erudite
Mendoza said:
This has been my only real annoying mission so far. It was samey, twice as long as it should have been, and didn't offer nearly enough puzzles and clever options. That said, I really liked the Nosferatu later when I got there. Very atmospheric.

The Nos warrens are gorgeous, sure, but they're really cramped and take a lot of time to say almost nothing. I would have found them more interesting and believable if there had been empty rooms or other signs of actual use; as it is, you're supposed to believe that you're surrounded by Nossies in shadow but almost all of the (few) actually usable areas are inhabited by an important NPC.

The Hollywood sewers, though, are this game's BMC. I mostly found them passable until I reached the cave/crypt area, and then I kept dreaming up elaborate ways to drink the blood of game designers.

Spazmo

Erudite
The Hollywood sewers are a huge pain in the ass. Round a corner? Okay, let's have a BEEG MONSTAR! And I don't get why characters with hacking skills shouldn't be allowed to hack the computer to open the big drain in the floor instead of finding that keycard.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Malkavians and Ventrue are on par with their abilities. Both Ventrue and Malkavians have the option to influence the dialogue by spending a few blood points and somewhat occasionally, they're the only way to accomplish certain quests without losing humanity or masquerade points.

Like Demention, Ventrue also have an ability called Suicide that insta-kills humans.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I'm playing Malkavian now and so far I can tell you that demention is only an alternative to persuasion or intimidation. I could give a few examples if needed.

Writing an in depth walkthrough for this game is overkill with a normal character, new dialog options pop out of nowhere depenting on your stats so one would need to haxor their character to uncover everything.

I completed almost all the quests in the game the first time around, (at least, I think so) and I never had to let go of a masquarade point, although I did loose some humanity in the process. Don't remember exactly when but there are more than enough quests to regain it.

Oh wait, 'bout the only thing I didn't get to do is screw Jeanette. Seems it's one of those ultra well hidden things. Someone crazy enough will probably write a step by step walkthrough sooner or later. But I'm starting to stray off topic here...

Malkavians and Ventrue are on par with their abilities

I don't think so, the Tremere have Thaumaturgy and that's pretty unique. Obfuscate on the other hand really makes a lot of things less iritating.

Edit: now why did I think of one clan while addressing another? Doh.

I never really used presence, most combat is easy enough without it, much like other "spells" that effect enemies, I don't really know how well they work on supernaturals especially bosses. Disciplines that effect only you can be used to their full extent without any second thoughts. Invisibility is awesome in this game, there are a few stealth missions and doing them while invisible is nice. Secondly, disciplines that grant you non combat boosts are better IMO. Blood Buff takes care of combat and you shouldn't really need stuff like potence or fortitude to take care of matters.

You can obfuscate to walk past all the enemies even in combat oriented locations. You can hide somewhere, regenerate or do silent kills. A really nice thing if you ask me.

All in all, I think that the Malkavians are the best package, but while their dialog is great, funny and interesting at times, it sometimes takes a little while to separate the bullshit from the real thruth as is said in the game. I also think the most useless clan is the Toreador. They don't have any really useful disciplines and flirting only turned out essencial in 2 moments of the game when I played. I spent heaps of points to get max seduction while I should be investing in more useful stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom