Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodbowl Season 2

Mantiis

Cipher
grotsnik said:
Hang on a second. Mantiis, you funny bastard, did you actually put me as halflings? :lol:
Maybe...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're still free. Also, I think Mantiis said it was fine to have some duplicates since it looks like we'll have a lot more players than last time.
Yup

EDIT: 14 is a shitty number as it means we can't have divisions so if more people are interested (2 more to be precise) now is the time to speak up.

When I finally get to play my final match with Dirk we will end that league and start this one.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
probably skave or lizzies but i`ll check things out before deciding, still need to read the rulebook

or maybe chaos :smug:

If you're new to blood bowl, chaos is a bad idea. Horribly expensive rerolls; no ball-handling except on doubles or the Big Hand mutation; no players starting with Block. They're a turnover machine, and will probably fustrate the hell out of you. High-TV chaos are scary as hell, but they'll need a good 30-40 matches before you get that claw+MB lineup from hell everyone craves.

Between Skaven and Lizardmen, I'd say Skaven are the easiest to play. Gutterrunners are almost free touchdowns, but the race as a whole has a tendency to die horribly at the slightest provocation. Lizardmen can be nice too, but you'll have to learn how to protect your skinks quickly. Also, getting Break Tackle on 1-2 saurii within the first 4 Saurus skill-ups is essential.

Newbie-friendly teams would be Humans, Orcs, High Elves, Dark Elves or Amazons. Although amazons suffer later on if they come up against teams with a lot of tackle.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mantiis said:
EDIT: 14 is a shitty number as it means we can't have divisions so if more people are interested (2 more to be precise) now is the time to speak up.

Do each of the divisions also have to be an even number?

And which format are we going to be playing?

loukas wrote:
Hi,

The new private leagues structures that have been added to online, are the ones that are featured in single-player:

Championship: Same system as before, teams go up or down divisions based on their results (divisional winners moves up a division, last team goes down).
Play-off: Elimination tournament.
Cup + Play-off : Participants are randomly spread in pools were they play each other. Based on the results, they are forwarded to the play-offs. The Play-offs features elimination matches. (Note: you can setup the system to have all teams selected for the play-offs)
Grand Slam: Championship + Cup + Play-off (only divisional matches during the Championship are taken into account whether a team change division for the next season.)

Hope you will enjoy it!

So essentially, Championship splits you up by TV the first time. The loser of the upper TV division goes to the lower TV division, while the winner of the lower TV division goes to the upper. The championship setting does NOT have playoffs.

Cup splits you up randomly. Cups always have playoffs, with seeding and placement in the playoffs determined by how you did in the cup.

Playoffs are Single-elimination playoffs (I wish I knew a better way to explain it than using the same word, its late...) So if you had say, 8 person playoffs, first week would be 4 matches, next week would be 2 match (the semi-finals) between the winners, and then the Final between the winners of those 2.

The Grand Slam is a Championships, followed by a Cup and then Playoffs. The Championship portion acts independently of the Cup and Playoffs. The championship divisions are perpetual in their own right, with the divisions in the championship changing based ONLY on championship matches and who wins the championship divisions from season to season. Then when you move into the cup portion of the season, teams are split up randomly, which then seeds the playoffs as normal.

Hope that helps!

I'm guessing cup?

And since we have so many players, how are we going to handle people that don't make their matches? From an admin standpoint, there's really only two possible outcomes:

You have to set a score for the unplayed match otherwise you won't be able to end the match day. You set the score by clicking the little dice in the scoreboard.
If you set a score that is not a tie, the winner will be given 2 touchdowns, 2 MVP's to some random players. The winner will also have it's match winnings doubled.

If you set a tie, 1 touchdown and 1 MVP will be awarded to both teams. Winnings will be as normal.

DakaSha

Arcane
Mantiis said:
grotsnik said:
Hang on a second. Mantiis, you funny bastard, did you actually put me as halflings? :lol:
Maybe...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're still free. Also, I think Mantiis said it was fine to have some duplicates since it looks like we'll have a lot more players than last time.
Yup

When I finally get to play my final match with Dirk we will end that league and start this one.

So is this the latest/bestest "edition"?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11170/

Cause for 5 bucks id buy it

Shuma

Scholar
all right suckas

steam name: shuma
gmt -7
blood bowl name: shuma
skaven

joining the codex bb steam group also

desocupado

Magister
I am thinking about buying it and joining. Is it possible to learn to play this game in time for this season yet?

Mantiis

Cipher
Ok we now have 15 coaches so I am going to close off registration at 16 - that means there is only 1 slot left and anyone else joining up will be reservists for dropouts.

desocupado said:
I am thinking about buying it and joining. Is it possible to learn to play this game in time for this season yet?
Well you will probably get raped for the first few games but seriously who gives a fuck - OSK has gone goblins and even if he plays well will get hammered, I have chosen vampires who knock out there own players on bad rolls and I could have sworn there was a halfling player somewhere which is worse that the other two.

desocupado

Magister
Alright, I bought the game, count me in.

steam name: deso
GMT -3 here, Brazil

I don't have a clue about the race tough, what is the most OP and noob friendly race?

EDIT: Will play human.

Mantiis

Cipher
OK THAT IS IT WE HAVE 16!

Anyone else registering will be reservists!!

If you have not done so yet:

- Join the fucking steam group
- Make your team, if you decide to change race that is totally fine!
- Get ready to be fouled.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
desocupado said:
I don't have a clue about the race tough, what is the most OP and noob friendly race?

Humans aren't OP, but they're quite noob friendly.

Also, here's some light reading that'll help:

The Taoch of Blood Bowl - A condensed guide for newbies
General Strategy stuff on fumbbl
Race-specific strategy Ignore the starting rosters -- they're for 4th edition of the Living Rulebook, where you commonly started with a Fan Factor of 7-9. In the 6th edition (which cyanide uses) you pretty much ignore Fan Factor, meaning you'll probably want to start with more positionals.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
@desocupado
Just got the game about two days ago but from the looks of it dwarves seem to be a good bet. Good lineup/skill combination, well suited for both defense and offense. They are also fairly tough, so mean spirited player will have a harder time crippling your players.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pussycat669 said:
Just got the game about two days ago but from the looks of it dwarves seem to be a good bet. Good lineup/skill combination, well suited for both defense and offense. They are also fairly tough, so mean spirited player will have a harder time crippling your players.

Dwarfs are an amazing team, but they can be tricky to play. You really need your positioning down, otherwise other teams will just outrun you.

...and you're new to Blood Bowl and you're going to play Halflings?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The problem with dwarves, besides being boring as hell to play against, is that they have only 4 players with ag3 and abysmal movement. If someone slips past them, they'll be almost completely unable to catch up.

Dwarven offense is laughable, all they can do is hope to take out the opposition players and cage to the endzone. Enemy tacklezones play havoc with dwarves, and only khemri are worse at handling the ball.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
lack of block on the tomb guardians might be tricky (especially now they only get block if I roll double) but decay wont worry much because they have av9. five ST5 positionals are...sweet

Khemri was the first team I played too. :) Mind you, back then they had mummies instead. Which are like tomb guardians, except with access to block on normals, no decay and 1 less MA. Khemri have 3 main weaknesses to be aware of:

1) No AG3 or 4 players. AG2 means a 50-50 chance just to pick up the ball from the ground. I once played Khemri in pouring rain and spent 8 turns and 4 rerolls unsuccessfully trying to pick up the ball

2) AG1 tomb guardians. Sure, they look imposing. But if your opponent decides to sacrifice 4 players to mark them, there's no way for them to move to where they are needed.

3) Thro-ra's and skeletons are AV7. You might find your opponent takes them out and leaves you outnumbered.

That said, Khemri can be utterly devestating in the right hands. They're by no means an easy team to win matches with, but very satisfying when you squish enough opponents that they do.

root said:
what happened with slann, pact, underworld and chaos dwarf?

Cyanide decided not to implement them, and GW cut them from the tournament rules to cover their asses. A crying shame too, since I would've been playing Chaos Dwarves otherwise. No Bull Centaurs for us, alas.

root said:
and how do I join the steamgroup?

1) Open steam client.
2) Go to Community
3) Go to Groups
4) Type "Codex Blood Bowl League" in the search box
5) Click the result
6) Click the join group button

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cyanide decided not to implement them

That might have been bullshit, actually. I have two versions of LRB6 bookmarked, and one of them says "SUCK IT GW" in the title (added by a herp derp torrenter is my guess). That one has Chaos D0rfs in it. And I don't know which is the correct version.

and GW cut them from the tournament rules to cover their asses.

That's straight up horseshit, though, Ulm. LRB5 makes no mention of Underworld or Slann, and neither does LRB4. Which pretty much means these teams weren't even in the core rules before Cyanide made their game, and I'm betting they never have been. So they've not been removed to cover anyone's ass; they were never there in the first place.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The covering-ass was an assumption, since I assumed GW would make some token effort to make the "official" game follow the written rules.

Underworld, Slann and Chaos dwarves were in the final, NAF-approved version of LRB6, but were cut by GW along with credit to the voulenteer authors who've spent years maintaining and playtesting the various iterations of the living rulebook. There was a big hissy fit about it along with a lot of legal threats from GW to fansites back when GWs copyright for the Blood Bowl name was up for renewal.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well about the chaos Dwarfs it seems there where some kind of miss communication between cyanide and GW about them and that is why they are not in the game.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
...and you're new to Blood Bowl and you're going to play Halflings?

Yeah, I hope that this way my suckitude won't be noticed so much.
To be fair to the Halflings though, the quick mash up team I made just lead me to my very first almost victory (or luckily even) against the AI despite the odds weighting against those poor fellas. Then again, watching the replay, it was more a matter of luck + a lot of rerolls.

I still need a lot more practice when it comes to good defense/offense formations (or at the very least I'll have to learn to leave some players back at my own end zone to beat up those nasty catchers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom