Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodbowl Season 2

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Since I have neither LE nor time, I can only :avatard:

Godspeed, Codexian Coaches, and let the butthurt spread!

Mantiis

Cipher
Jesus Christ I go away for five minutes and all hell breaks loose.

2 things:

It's just a game so no need for the aggro.
Castanova may have a point OSK - locking yourself into a joke team for two months might suck a bit. :/

I am going vamps still :D

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well i could see the funny in playing with halflings and do nothing, but have 2 Treemen use my Halfings as Living Projectiles.

Castanova

Prophet
Mantiis said:
It's just a game so no need for the aggro.

Agreed - I don't think anyone's feelings have been hurt anyway. It'll just make OSK's inevitable Goblin victory over my High Elves all the much sweeter for the lore of this fine league.

Also, when's the cut off for sign-ups / the beginning of the season?

Mantiis

Cipher
Well I don't get back until the 1st and I wanted to leave registration open for at least a week. So around the 7th we would be looking to start our first matches.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Way to go, Mantits. I could have kept the trolling going on for pages.

Mantiis said:
Castanova may have a point OSK - locking yourself into a joke team for two months might suck a bit. :/

How do you not remember my first two Codex tourneys when my newb ass played Humans?

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I FUCKING HATE BLOOD BOWL!

I was all excited to try out my lineman with kick. He get's knocked down and gets -1 strength right on the first turn.

I was all excited to try out my brand new ogre. I only get to stand him up once before he gets a niggling injury and is out for the next match.

I lose half of my team in the first drive. They aren't KOs. They are ALL casualties.

Severely outnumbered, I try a desperate attempt at tossing the ball over his front line to outrun him to the ball and score. My thrower gets two critical fails and fumbles the ball. Next turn I pick it up and try again, only to have the ball fucking intercepted by a fucking dwarf!

My last turn of the match, I have only one fucking player on the pitch. My blitzer is completely surrounded by dwarves and is going to get fucking gang-raped next turn. I decide to foul a prone dwarf, and the fucking ref calls off my last player on the pitch.

And the worst thing, I only got fucking 10k for the match. That's what I fucking got last time. Dammit.

This game hates me. :cry:

And there's this classic:

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Hey, this time I only lost one person on the first turn! It was my ogre! And he got another permanent injury and is out for the next match! Useless, overpriced piece of shit hasn't done a thing yet but get hurt within the first two turns every match.

If there's one thing I've learned from my stream of bad luck, it's how to defend while outnumbered. Even with heavy losses I was able to make his first drive difficult. I was able to knock the ball away and toss a failed pass to a blitzer in my half. But on his last turn of the first half, his chaos team learns how to play a perfect passing game to advance more than half the pitch and score.

Next half I receive. I'm outnumbered still, so I try and stack all my players on one side of the pitch. He kicks it and it lands right behind my line closer to the side where I have no players. Luckily, I get a high kick, so I place a thrower under the ball. Unluckily, he fails the catch. Then when I move him onto the ball to pick it up and he fails picking it up twice with sure hands and it rolls over to another player of mine who fails his catch and I burn a re-roll to pick it up so Perfect Fool doesn't get an easy TD. A couple turns later I have an opportunity to make a break for it if I can just make a dodge and then a blitz. My thrower has dodge so I attempt and, of course, fail both rolls, knock myself out and give him an easy chance to pick up the ball and score again.

During this time, his CW with claws had one of my throwers tied up. Afraid of getting him mauled, I try to dodge away and he fails giving himself a niggling injury. Strangely enough, I had that bastard tied up with a journeyman most of the match, and that fucker proved to be invincible.

When I get the kick off again, I'm even more outnumbered so I just try my last plan again. This time things go well. It's my very last turn, and it looked like my luck was turning around for once and I was actually going to score for the first time in like 3 or 4 matches. I make a successful one die block to knock away one of the two guys covering my blitzer who was within scoring range. I successfully dodge away from from players covering my thrower. My thrower throws a successful pass to my blitzer. Despite still being covered my blitzer makes the catch. So all I need to do now is make one little dodge and I'll score. I attempt... and my blitzer fails and kills himself.

:cry:

I'll be fine. Just expect plenty of bitching! ;)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Since no starting date is posted, I assume registrations are still open.

1) Ulminati
2) GMT +1
3) Ulminati
4) Orcs >> Faggy Dark-Elves > Skaven = Norse >> Humans

Questions though:

1 - when does the season start? I assume there's no joining mid-season and no start date is given
2 - At what TV do we start? I'm assuming all new teams. Some mention of carry-overs was made though, and I'd like to know if I should expect my new team to meet a team with a 700k TV difference. If we're allowed to play warm-up matches to skill players and bring the team up to a predetermined TV, I'll change my race preference to Chaos. (Since they're bloody useless until they get a big hand, 2x block, 1x guard and claws on the mino)
3 - How long will the season run?
4 - Will there be free Bloodweiser in the stands?
5 - Are there anyone besides me who are :monocled: veterans from Fumbbl, or should I expect mass-QQ when I gleefully foul your best player for no apparent reason on turn 16?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ulminati said:
1 - when does the season start? I assume there's no joining mid-season and no start date is given
2 - At what TV do we start? I'm assuming all new teams. Some mention of carry-overs was made though, and I'd like to know if I should expect my new team to meet a team with a 700k TV difference. If we're allowed to play warm-up matches to skill players and bring the team up to a predetermined TV, I'll change my race preference to Chaos. (Since they're bloody useless until they get a big hand, 2x block, 1x guard and claws on the mino)
3 - How long will the season run?
4 - Will there be free Bloodweiser in the stands?

I'm not the organizer, but I think I can answer some of your questions:

1. It starts when ManT feels like it, my guess is sometime this January.
2. New players start at 1000TV, with a completely fresh team. Players from the old league are allowed to carry over their old teams, but most have opted not to do so (meaning they start with a completely new team as well). So far it looks like there will be a carry-over Dark Elf team (of some 13-1400TV) and perhaps a carry-over orc team of the same TV.
3. Until we're finished. Two games vs. each player per player, with one match per week minimum.
4. Of course, as well as kicks in da natz for anyone who as much as considers quitting the league early.
5. I'm a fumbbl-player, though not a veteran. I don't foul in turn 16, however, unless I have an extremely good reason to (i.e. I'm playing the no. 1 of the league and he's winning).

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Bitching about fouling is like bitching about somebody getting one of their pieces kinged in checkers. It's within the rules and it isn't anything like cheating, it's just playing the damned game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Castanova said:
Also have you guys not signed up for Steam yet? It didn't work when I tried to add you.

nuggetx
Ulminati

I have a very early steam account from before it was widely available, so it can be a bit wonky at times. I'll add you instead and everything should be fine

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
That's right, Goblins. After dominating the last tourney where only one player was able to score on me (as High Elves, lol) Mantiis has strongly suggested that I play one of the shit tier teams.

Just make sure to save gold for bribes and get hail mary on your bombardier. I managed to take goblins to the quarterfinals in the danish masters thanks to the bombardier in my endzone being able to bombard the enemy cage from afar. Also, resist the temptation to field all your secret weapons in the first drive :D

Goblins do surprisingly well in the hands of a competent coach unless up against d0rfz/chaos d0rfs/norse until around 1400-1500 TV when block/tackle becomes a mainstray. And losing against d0rfz as any race doesn't count; d0rfs are so hugely overpowered they're borderline cheating anyway.

Mantiis

Cipher
Ok I am back now and we'll keep registrations open for a couple more days. Also can I get all of you to do the following:

In the mean time you can join the steam group "codex blood league" by doing a group search in steam with the search "codex blood bowl" and select groups. That way you can realtime chat with your opponent to setup the match.

Also you may want to test that you can actually play online - there are ports that need to be opened:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/v ... 43#p133537

Also sometimes in game the camera locks up and scrolls to one side of the screen (seems to happen a lot when you chat to opponent), to fix this press 'C' to change the camera angle.

And now we wait....

If we all join the group you can message each other and not have to friend everyone - it also makes it easier to see who you need to talk to as only codex bb players are in it.

I have updated the first post with the information in this thread so can you please check your details and that i got the copy/pasting right.

EDIT: Can I also add a word of caution along the lines of what Grunker said - this is a big commitment so if you think that you can't meet a weekly 1 game requirement then can I suggest you drop out now.

EDIT 2: If we cannot get an even number of players last in is first out to get it to an even number. The in game league creation thingy won't allow an odd number.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I notice I'm listed as ??? as race. Also, I see noone seems to have grabbed orcs which I listed as my #1 preference, so that's what I'll be playing I guess. :)

Pussycat669

Liturgist
I would be interested to learn the ropes, if a 14th player should show up. It's crunch time at university though so I probably will only be able to play a match or two on weekends.

1. Basti50
2. GMT +1
3. Basti50
4. Lizardmen (alt. Wood Elves or Skaven)

grotsnik

Arcane
Hang on a second. Mantiis, you funny bastard, did you actually put me as halflings? :lol:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ulminati said:
Just make sure to save gold for bribes

Yeah, I still haven't decided on a starting roster. I probably won't start with all the secret weapons. I need to get the players I need while keeping my TV low for inducements. Bribes are a must, and the star troll, Ripper, is a big help.

Ulminati said:
and get hail mary on your bombardier.

He's great for busting open cages, but he's been nothing but a turnover machine for me in practice. I find the ball and chain to be the most useful, but the chainsaw is definitely the most fun! He's a turnover-free blitz that turns Dwarfs into Halflings!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
root said:
...still need to read the rulebook

or maybe chaos :smug:

Playing Chaos probably wouldn't be a good idea if you haven't even read the rulebook yet. A low TV Chaos team can be pretty frustrating to play for anyone, let alone someone brand new to the game.

Pussycat669 said:
So Halflings are still free? I wanted to take them before I saw Mantiis list.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're still free. Also, I think Mantiis said it was fine to have some duplicates since it looks like we'll have a lot more players than last time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom