Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Kanedias

Savant
The fact that you don't get your vials and bullets replenished after PvP or coop needs to be fixed in a patch. It's really tedious having to go through two loading screens to replenish them.

Also, PvP looks really bad as of now. A healing fest like Demon's Souls, hard to punish healing (parrying a vial isn't easy) and R1 spam with fast weapons dominates everything. Hopefully these things get improved by patches, Dark Souls 2 PvP also sucked before From started patching things.

The cannon is amazing for PvP. I can see it being nerfed, it absolutely destroys people, especially when they're low and want to heal. I should go try to find it (I missed it sadly) and join in the fun before the inevitable nerf.

PvP woes aside, I'm really loving the game. It's amazing.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
original.jpg

:prosper: What an absolute moron.

1eyedking is that you?

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
PSA for anyone in the US that has been waiting to buy a PS4 and Bloodborne. There's a special on Amazon for the PS4, Bloodborne, a digital download of The Last of Us, and a $20 gift card for $400. Pretty decent deal.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dan Stapleton's always been a little casual. I always thought he stuck out like a sore thumb on the PCGamer staff.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, can you explain me the 'Skill' meaning. Is it an analogue of DEX in souls?

For example, is a Hunter's Axe a STR or skill weapon?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I SHOULD HAVE GONE STRENGTH. I've done it that way for every other souls game. Why did I go Skill and Whip?

Whip is honestly good enough to finish the entire game with. It's better than the axe lol trust me. No point in really investing into the kirkhammer when Ludwigs is pretty much better than it for strength weps - unless you really fuckin like the hammer movesets of course.

How much skill is needed? If I'm at 18 skill already, should I start over and select a Might build instead? I chose the Professional template.

I finished the game at level ~80 and ended up having both skill and str at 25 because I wasn't messing around with bloodtinge/arcane that character.

Bros, can you explain me the 'Skill' meaning. Is it an analogue of DEX in souls?

For example, is a Hunter's Axe a STR or skill weapon?

Skill = dexterity. When people refer to a "str weapon" they're just talking about its scaling.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think they are using elements from demons souls. The dead enemies rag doll is the same, which was fixed for DS 1 and 2.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think they are using elements from demons souls. The dead enemies rag doll is the same, which was fixed for DS 1 and 2.

Rag dolling was present in Dark Souls 1. If anything, Bloodborne fixed DS2's lack of ragdolls.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
How can someone like Dan Staplefag not feel shame about himself? The man is paid to play games all day and he still sucks at them so much that he can't even understand how to get to bosses in Souls games without spending 15 minutes on it?

I'd understand casual point of views from random blogger but if you're paid to fucking play games you better not be some random scrub. When playing games is your job, sucking that much just shows how retarded you are.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
At the very least if you're gonna suck at a game, don't dock points due to your DSP level of incompetency.

Never go full DSP:

1ee.png

tumblr_naxip5ZKoK1t9co4oo1_500.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Rag dolling was present in Dark Souls 1. If anything, Bloodborne fixed DS2's lack of ragdolls.

I know but demon souls had excessive rag doll effect when enemy was dead. DS 1 and 2 had this 'fixed' and now it's back again. Hence my conclusion they must be using old code.

DragoFireheart

Every time I read a topic of some retard giving up on Bloodborne I get a slight boner from it.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
At the very least if you're gonna suck at a game, don't dock points due to your DSP level of incompetency.

Never go full DSP:

1ee.png

tumblr_naxip5ZKoK1t9co4oo1_500.png

At the end of the day though DSP has beaten demon's souls and both dark souls titles. He did a lot of cheesing and shit, but he did eventually learn how to play enough to beat Allone with melee IIRC.

So yeah, it's not even "DSP level of incompetency", this stapleton guy is significantly worse than DSP.

DragoFireheart

So what do you think Phage

10/10 GoTY dewrito Choice Award? Pile of shit worse than Dragon Age Inquisition? Good PvE bad PvP? Somewhere in the middle?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So what do you think Phage

10/10 GoTY dewrito Choice Award? Pile of shit worse than Dragon Age Inquisition? Good PvE bad PvP? Somewhere in the middle?

Well... it's a bit early as im still gathering my thoughts and would like to replay it to get the third ending and do all the chalice content, but, my current feelings are

The good:
- Amazing PvE combat. Very visceral (heh) encounters and adrenaline pumping action. The health regen system is brilliant as it allows FROM to make the enemies more threatening without feeling ridiculously cheap since you can regain health mid combat.
- Game is absolutely gorgeous. Like, the textures themselves are very last-gen, but the way the environment comes together in certain locations is sometimes breathtaking.
- Bosses are possibly the most interesting in the series, but none of them are quite as challenging/fulfilling as the likes of Maneaters, Ornstein + Smough or Fume Knight. Still, fantastic
- Great story/lore. It's hard to understand at first, but after you piece everything together and compare notes with other players, it's actually even more interesting than past souls games IMO.
- Shittons of hidden stuff. If you play without a guide, prepare to go "holy shit I missed all of THAT!?" and then feel compelled to play again. Because that's what happened to me.
- Chalice dungeons are actually better than I ever imagined they'd be when they were announced.
- Level design is top fucking notch. Tons of shortcuts, lots of goodies hidden all over the place, etc.
- The Doll is objectively best souls waifu to date.

The personally subjective not so good:
- Doesn't have the same feeling of mystery/wonder as Dark Souls 1 did. THEN AGAIN - I think that it will be nearly impossible for a souls game to replicate that feeling. On that note, I bet the DeSfags feel the same way, that DaS doesn't capture the magic/wonder of DeS.

The ehh:
- Low weapon variety. Feels like there aren't enough weapons for each stat type. Would've liked another weapon for each stat type, a really strong non-scaling weapon, and another equal str+skill weapon to round things out.
- Armor doesn't matter very much. Once you replace the starter clothing, it's mostly a matter of "what kind of resist do I care most about"

The actually bad:
- Technical problems out the ass. Long load times, framerate/stutter drops.
- Fucking need to warp back to the dream and warp in to respawn enemies. Have to go through 2 load screens to warp from one lantern to another. Stupid bullshit that should have been fixed with internal playtesting.
- Vial system is arbitrarily different from Estus and overall a downgrade. As I mentioned before, if they wanted to let you regain "estus" for long journeys, should have made a way for you to refill flasks with visceral attacks or something.

The irrelevant:
- Don't really care about PvP. Ultimately, imo, a souls game should always be about the single player experience. The PvP and co-op stuff is just fluff and newbie crutch respectively. Having said that, it seems about as bad as Demon's Souls PvP, but who knows maybe the "meta" will evolve and it'll be ok. Actually, I was pretty decent at DS2 PvP - I maxed out the dragon covenant and did enough of the bell covenant to get the spell.

So yeah, this game is honestly amazing. I think in some ways it's flat out better than Dark Souls. Given enough time to fester in my mind, after some replays it could end up being my all-time favorite. Or maybe the afterglow will wear off. Hard to tell.

Low spoiler reason:
After finishing the game, I fucking love the realization that like 65% the bosses/areas were entirely optional even though it wasn't apparent at first.

High spoiler reasons involving the story and how mechanics relate to it:

The way insight affects the game is downright fucking genius. Since the entire second half of the game is essentially a love-letter to the Lovecraft mythos, I adore the idea that the more insight you obtain the more crazy shit you're capable of seeing. As you become exposed to the insanity of the world, you're able to perceive more of it. Also, eating literal pieces of an umbilical cord in order to impregnate yourself with an eldritch god-child to unlock the secret ending is arguably the most metal thing in any video game ever made. Also that fight with Gehrman. Holy shit. I get that it's fairly easy if you're god-like at parrying, but I thought that the music/atmosphere/etc was amazing. Huge flashbacks to the final boss of MGS3 with the flower field and all that.

1eyedking

Erudite
What an educated gentleman. Truly that's about the most reasonable thing you can say when asked about Japanese aesthetics.

It just...sucks.

I could sit down and explain how utterly generic it is, so over-designed and unbelievable you'll cringe, without mood, devoid of character, no focus whatsoever, catering to low emotions, etc.

But just saying it sucks does it, because no matter how much you try to explain, it all comes down to the other guy just having terribly bad taste and there being no amount of argument one can think of that will make the other person realize how utterly lost is in any kind of artistic sensibility.

Says retard with rome tw, witcher1, left4dead, rage and fuckton of other awful games on his list of tastefull art direction :lol::lol::lol:

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Stylistically much superior to any Souls game in my opinion. They do need to fix the long load times and incorporate the ability to swapbetween lanterns as other have mentioned I'm sure.

Sothpaw

Learned
The level design in this game is pretty much as good as I have ever seen. This game is begging to be on PC given the shit framerate and loading times. But goddamn I just love this game. Playing this before Pillars because 1. it came out first and 2. Pillars will surely benefit from a patch or two.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
What an educated gentleman. Truly that's about the most reasonable thing you can say when asked about Japanese aesthetics.

It just...sucks.

I could sit down and explain how utterly generic it is, so over-designed and unbelievable you'll cringe, without mood, devoid of character, no focus whatsoever, catering to low emotions, etc.

But just saying it sucks does it, because no matter how much you try to explain, it all comes down to the other guy just having terribly bad taste and there being no amount of argument one can think of that will make the other person realize how utterly lost is in any kind of artistic sensibility.

Care to explain how any of that even remotely applies to Bloodborne, or any of the souls games for that matter?

DragoFireheart

Ok so something is going on with the co-op.

It's being a pile of shit atm. Connecting is near impossible (though I have more success invading). I don't think it's my internet but meh.

PS:
Lud Wig's Holy Blade is pure sex 10/10 Dewrito GOTY 6/5 codexs

latest

Last edited:

Sothpaw

Learned
Ok so something is going on with the co-op.

It's being a pile of shit atm. Connecting is near impossible (though I have more success invading). I don't think it's my internet but meh.

PS:
Lud Wig's Holy Blade is pure sex 10/10 Dewrito GOTY 6/5 codexs

latest

That has been my main weapon since I got it; really nice weapon for sure. Have it at +8 now and going to attempt a certain boss on a snowy castle roof tonight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom