Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BioWare rush DA2; blame release date for bad sales.

Angthoron said:
2 million+ copies? Where are those numbers from? Even if we consider the numbers of VGCharts to be somewhere within the realm of the accurate at all:

Dragon Age II (X360) - 0.70 mil
Dragon Age II (PS3) - 0.35 mil
Dragon Age II (PC) - 0.26 mil

Even if we double the PC sales, we won't be getting anywhere near the said 2 million. I'm not saying that VGC is accurate, but as far as I know this is just about the only source of information regarding the number of copies shipped, so, if there's some other, I'd be very curious to know it.

Please stop bullying Volly. He's got enough on his plate with Gaider trying to rape him, Woo accusing him of being unpatriotic, and this Cowboy_Cris guy on the bioforums who wants to kill him - and it doesn't sound like he's kidding either.

(and btw, we all know that 2 million is the sell-IN number, ie what EA shipped to stores, and not what players bought from the stores. If stores don't find 2 million retards, EA have to take the copies back from the stores and record revenue only from actual sales to gamers).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"million+ copies? Where are those numbers from? Even if we consider the numbers of VGCharts to be somewhere within the realm of the accurate at all:

Even if we double the PC sales, we won't be getting anywhere near the said 2 million. I'm not saying that VGC is accurate, but as far as I know this is just about the only source of information regarding the number of copies shipped, so, if there's some other, I'd be very curious to know it"

Just because it's the 'only' source doesn't make it worthwhile. vghchartz is shit. Plain and simple. It's untrustworthy with its made up numbers.

I'd trust your made up numbers more than vghcartz's numbers because vghchartz doesn't even have faith in its owna ccuracy. L0L

sser

Arcane
Developer
Seeing as how you didn't point out another source in response, are we safe in assuming you are also making up numbers?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
There are probably millions upon millions of sales in steam alone. Just email Gabe and have him settle this issue.

Volourn said:
"million+ copies? Where are those numbers from? Even if we consider the numbers of VGCharts to be somewhere within the realm of the accurate at all:

Even if we double the PC sales, we won't be getting anywhere near the said 2 million. I'm not saying that VGC is accurate, but as far as I know this is just about the only source of information regarding the number of copies shipped, so, if there's some other, I'd be very curious to know it"

Just because it's the 'only' source doesn't make it worthwhile. vghchartz is shit. Plain and simple. It's untrustworthy with its made up numbers.

I'd trust your made up numbers more than vghcartz's numbers because vghchartz doesn't even have faith in its owna ccuracy. L0L

WARNING, THIS IS GOING TO BE THE MOTHER OF TL;DR POSTS!!!
My apologies ( :M ), just really want to get this settled:)

The only argument I've seen people actually raise against vgchartz is that it uses market sampling rather than having access to raw sales. If that's what you mean by 'made up numbers', then you're a fool who can't into statistics/standard deviation.

There's nothing wrong with market sampling as a basis for measuring sales, so long as you have an accurate error margin. Error margins aren't guesses btw - if the sample is a random one (the 'random' is ultra-important) then for any sample and any population size you can mathematically calculate the error distribution. Ususally you use a 99.95% accuracy, so by saying 'sales = 2 million, +/-0.01 mill', you mean 'there is a 99.95% probability that the sales are between 1.99 and 2.01, with 2 being the most likely'.

That's not 'making up numbers', it's a mathematical calcuation that gives you the right range 99.95% (or higher, if you increase the error margin) of the time.

One immediate problem with Vgcharts is that it doesn't tell us the error margin. BUT you can get really accurate measures with quite a small data pool. I'd be very surprised if it they couldn't get a large enough sample for a measurement within, say, 100,000-200,000. That's 10%,which is a MASSIVE error margin for study - normally you'd expect a decent set of market data to have at most a 2-3% error. I'd say that they could probably get something within 3-5% without the necessary sample size getting out of hand, but the argument that you guys are having doesn't actually need more than a rough measurement.

Just like you can predict a large market with a rather small RANDOM sample, your numbers will get thrown right off if the sample ISN'T RANDOM, even if you have a massive sample size. GET THIS IN YOUR HEAD - SAMPLE SIZE DOESN'T MATTER NEARLY AS MUCH AS THE SAMPLE'S RANDOMNESS! You just about assume that sample size is not a problem unless the randomness is out (read up on standard deviation if you don't believe me - even wikipedia should have it).

Problem is, getting a truly random study ranges from really hard to impossible. Taking surveys by phone? Not random - some genders/ages are more likely to take part. Counting sales from a selection of stores - a SELECTION, you said? Observer bias. Counting sales from a representative sample of stores - are you REALLY saying that all the stores have the same distribution of ages, genders, incomes, education, ethniciities in that area? You get the picture. If it can't be computerised, it probably isn't perfectly random.

Now that's why medical studies DO require massive populations, whereas physics/chemistry studies do not. Every country differs, so you need global stats. Different wealth/literacy/culture affects how likely people are to go to hospital, so you need distribution across each of those. Different ages, again - it adds up to huge numbers, but that's because of the difficulty getting randomness in that field, not because of a 'making up numbers' issue.

Personally, I've got no idea whether computer game sales have a distribution that can be easily studied. They do reasonably well using the same methods for top 40 albums/singles/videos (studio only knows how many they've shipped, not the actual sales, and its not practicable to get data every week from every store, so they use sampling instead), but that always gets divided up by country, and often by musical subgenre. I'd be a lot more confident in Vgchartz stats if they split them up by nation.

So, here's the question Volourn, sorry for the length: what is actually said to be wrong with VGchartz sampling methods? Do they rely upon self-reporting (obviously a hideous method), is it geographical skewing, are they not able to defend their data when challenged, what's the issue said to be? I'm not disagreeing with you that they're crap, because there's plenty of ways that they could be (and it's cheaper/easier to produce dodgy but uncheckable facts than it is to hire a statistician and do what he says needs to be done). But if it is just 'lol how they know 2,000,000 when they only count 2,000', that isn't necessarily a problem.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Azrael the cat said:
The only argument I've seen people actually raise against vgchartz is that it uses market sampling rather than having access to raw sales.

They specifically stated their numbers are based off of market sampling? IIRC, they have never stated their data collecting methods.

Mr. Fabulous

Novice
Jaesun said:
They specifically stated their numbers are based off of market sampling? IIRC, they have never stated their data collecting methods.

Link:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/82746/editorial-why-it-is-so-easy-to-blame-vgchartz/

Snip:

The most recent example of this is Aaron Greenberg's Twitter post commenting on our initial Kinect sales estimate:

"LOL'ing at sales reports from VGChartz, why do people release info as official when there is no source or science behind the #s?"

Firstly, the data was never presented as official. Secondly, our estimate of 475,000 units was pretty close to the final figure which seems to be around 550,000 units as confirmed by Microsofts recent announcement of over 1 million units sold worldwide in ten days. So why feel the need to comment when the sales are in the right area? Perhaps Greenberg didn't feel that the 475,000 figure was favourable given the hype behind the Kinect launch. Thirdly, attempting to discredit VGChartz with the claim that there is no science or source is the same line that everyone takes when they don't like a figure we publish - it is an easy way to deflect attention.

So what was the science behind Kinect estimates? Where does the 475,000 figure come from? We arrived at the figure via four distinct routes:

* A telephone survey of retailers across America. We called over 200 retailers (distributed across the country and across different chains in a proportion representative of market share) and asked how many Kinect units they had purchased and how many they had sold. Now 200 retailers from 30,000 isn't a lot, but one GameStop will sell similar amounts to another - each new store you call follows the law of diminishing returns in terms of accuracy improvement. Then, on a retailer by retailer basis, we took an average per store and multiply by the number of stores. We then scaled this with any missing retailers to match the overall marketshare. This gives one estimate of Kinect sell-through.
* A pre-order analysis using a typical pre-order to week-one ratio for a casual Xbox 360 title to arrive at a second estimate. An explanation of where our pre-order data comes from can form it's own editorial but a combination of retail pre-order info from best-seller lists at various stores and user pre-order data (purchase intent) via trawls of major sites like GameSpot, IGN, Eurogamer and so on are the two main contributors.
* Contact a small retail panel who provide regular data for VGChartz and weigh and scale that data to provide a third estimate. We have a lot of experience with this data so while it isn't particularly representitive we have a lookup table of scaling factors and adjustment for different types of game / hardware.
* A Gamercard analysis of more than 5 million Gamercards to calculate the proportion of players playing Kinect games (specifically Kinect Adventures), and from the raw figures we can scale up to produce a fourth estimate of sales via an analysis of gamercard to sales ratios for different types of game.

Taking a weighted average from the data arrived at via these four methods landed the 475,000 figure. These are just four of the ten different processes we have available for data collection (most of them automated) and the four that were applicable in this example. So, while VGChartz certainly doesn't have direct access to sell-through data from major retailers (and has never claimed that to be the case), there is still a science behind the data and some very clever and innovative work going on behind the scenes using data that most could have access to but only we know what to do with it (the competitive advantage that leads to such mystery surrounding our methodology).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
550,000 to 470,000 is a really big difference. Not exactly accurate numbers. Face it, vghchartz is bullshit.

EA's numbers - even though EA is The Big Evil tm - since they have access to raw data and if they lie they face rather harsh penalties since it's illegal for a public company to falsify profits and sales.

vghcratz makes up random numbers out of their fukkin' assholes. But, yeah, 472,000 = 555,000... who are we top bitch about such 'accuracy'? HAHAHA!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
vghchartz sure has lots of fanboys. Thyey make up random numbers and don't even have the ballz to defend it yet the momemnt a better source dispuite them they post retratcions and go oopsie.

Lame.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
If you guys really want to mince things you could try tracking the company's stock for the period after different game releases.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Volourn sure knows how to go complete retard.

"R00FLES"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom