Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, what is this a reference to

i-z7sGPMj-2100x20000.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
ME3 is a betrayal of the series as it very shifted the tone, ME2 was ... different but it was kinda like The Dirty Dozen were you assemble a crew to take on a mission, I am more forgiving on ME2 simply because it was still within the same overall tone.

I smell a lot of nostalgia in what you're saying. I'm actually playing ME2 now and it's definitely a decline in the tone. It's like....Alien and Aliens. First movie is one of kind. Flawed but with an unique vision and art direction. Second is just smooth, well crafted action flick.

Going to recheck ME3 in a bit. From what I remember the writing was a solid craft again, save for the botched ending which was supposedly the fault of EA. But we'll see. Last time I spent way too much time playing MP and the campaing is kindda hazy.

Yes, I'm still really pissed about the all-synth soundtrack being changed to standard Hollywood orchestral drivel. That alone probably could've saved 2 in my eyes. Fuckin' lower wards, man.

The ME2 soundtrack is still all-synth afait. But in many tracks there are synths imitating real orchestra which sounds cheap. Still a couple of good pure-electro tracks tho.

From what I remember the writing was a solid craft again
no.
the kid made no sense since the very beginning.
the dream sequences make no sense whtsoever.
"here, have this secret weapon from unknown language with unknown technology which we can prefectly replicate, and we'll add our own stuff on top too because we're cool".
dude, just no.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Mission log 10/04

A few weeks have passed since our team studied the live specimen of ME:A. The onset of Bioware decease has since set forth. At first we thought that we did not receive a lethal dose due our precautions but that is not the case for all of us. Last week one of our engineers, Jake, said he wanted see his wife get pounded by a giant black man. Later while i was sleeping he inserted his flaccid penis into my nostril waking me up. He babbled something about "mind melding". Other team member shot him in disgust and we hid Jakes body. Everybody has been on the edge since.

Father Foreskin, planet Eos

William Rogers

Barely Literate
From what I could tell, the ending didn't resolve any of the ingame mysteries...

Who killed the AI director.

Who really funded the AI.

What is the Kett Empire.

Why were the remnant terra forming the cluster and why and how did they make the angaran.

Who were the remnant.

Who attacked the remnant.

What is the scourge and how does it work like a space tentacle monster.

Where is the quarian ark and what happened to it.

They are were planning a ridiculous number of sequels and dlc, but with this reception and most likely mediocre sales, I'm not seeing it.

They learnt their lesson after Mass Effect 3.

Some mysteries are better left unanswered.

Just finished the game, and I bought it for the multiplayer.

Handsdown, the best Mass Effect game since Mass Effect 1.

Is it an RPG? Not even close, but a thoroughly enjoyable space adventure.

The game concluded, like me1, by eliminating the immediate threat whilst leaving the larger mysteries stir in the background.

Brilliant.

I do not think I noticed a single bit of SJW nonesense?

*clap clap clap* Bioware, you did good.

If idiots like Angry Joe and most of the mainstream gaming community hates it, it is most likely a masterpiece.

Onto, Divinity Original Sin 2.

Cheers.

donkeymong

Scholar
The team that worked on the original Mass Effect trilogy is working(4 years already) on a game named "Dylan", an action adventure with a bigger budget then Mass Effect Andromeda. Source:Vg 24
Thats shows again how important the Mass Effect franchise is for Bioware and Ea. After the first game, the lead writer departed to Swotor, and after Mass Effect 3, Andromeda was developed
by their c-team...

William Rogers

Barely Literate
For those who have played it, just how much is it like the horrendous DA:I?
I'm assuming the combat is way better, but is there that rotten MMO feel with fetch quests drowning everything? And that total disconnection from any fun via chore-like filler making up the majority of the game?

I just finished it, and have been avoiding the codex for the last few weeks to avoid any spoilers.

To me it was miles miles better than DAI. I hated that game. Had to get drunk and turn down the difficulty to non-existant to finish it.

It was horrible.

The quests in mea felt meaningful to me and I think I almost finished all of them because it felt natural and entertaining, before I entered endgame.

The side quests were also nested nicely so new ones appeared when it was logical in the larger narrative.

Best open world game I have played by far. Seriously.

To me, it was a bit like a 4x space strategy game where you expand, develop colonies etc. with a bioware skin.

Worked perfectly.

Vorark

Erudite
The team that worked on the original Mass Effect trilogy is working(4 years already) on a game named "Dylan", an action adventure with a bigger budget then Mass Effect Andromeda. Source:Vg 24
Thats shows again how important the Mass Effect franchise is for Bioware and Ea. After the first game, the lead writer departed to Swotor, and after Mass Effect 3, Andromeda was developed
by their c-team...

At least Andromeda made sure to kill whatever was left of ME. Well, hopefully.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Apologist. There is no longer excuse for making the protagonist look like a wetbrain underbite Pingu in early game core dialog.

J1M

Arcane
Bikini armor is just as realistic as any other kind of female armor because historically speaking, there were no female soldiers to wear armor.

One might also argue that a chastity belt was the most common piece of 'armor' worn by women, making bikini armor the most realistic.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Bikini armor is just as realistic as any other kind of female armor because historically speaking, there were no female soldiers to wear armor.

One might also argue that a chastity belt was the most common piece of 'armor' worn by women, making bikini armor the most realistic.

While most armours would have been made for men, there were instances where women would have historically speaking, been soldiers and/or worn armour. The Roman emperor Severus banned women from participating is gladiator games after a couple hundred years of it going on. Enough artifact sculptures laying around to prove they did fight in the arena too. There were female Scythian nomads also buried with their weapons and armour alongside the men. During the American Civil War it was not unheard of for women to pretend to be young men so they could join and fight (see the Declaration of Independence for names, there are women, who were soldiers, albeit not wearing your medieval-fantasy style armour). One of the old Chinese Dynasties was shook up by a woman after her husband and their rebels were seized and likely tortured to death. She was definitely a soldier with light armour who rode horseback. Joan of Arc never fought, but also wore armour. Lots of historical examples out there where women were indeed soldiers and also wore armour.

It doesn't change the fact that bikini armour is unrealistic though.

J1M

Arcane

While most armours would have been made for men, there were instances where women would have historically speaking, been soldiers and/or worn armour. The Roman emperor Severus banned women from participating is gladiator games after a couple hundred years of it going on. Enough artifact sculptures laying around to prove they did fight in the arena too. There were female Scythian nomads also buried with their weapons and armour alongside the men. During the American Civil War it was not unheard of for women to pretend to be young men so they could join and fight (see the Declaration of Independence for names, there are women, who were soldiers, albeit not wearing your medieval-fantasy style armour). One of the old Chinese Dynasties was shook up by a woman after her husband and their rebels were seized and likely tortured to death. She was definitely a soldier with light armour who rode horseback. Joan of Arc never fought, but also wore armour. Lots of historical examples out there where women were indeed soldiers and also wore armour.

Everyone knows that the queen had a custom suit of ceremonial armor and you can always find some women willing to perform extreme entertainment. When your counter-argument relies on such examples, it isn't very good.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter

Everyone knows that the queen had a custom suit of ceremonial armor and you can always find some women willing to perform extreme entertainment. When your counter-argument relies on such examples, it isn't very good.

Yet you said ". . . no female soldiers to wear armor." That implies an absolute. I also mentioned examples of females who would have been soldiers before the modern era. The Scythians weren't entertainment, they defended themselves. Neither were the repressed Chinese, and that was a soldiering example. American women fought in the Civil War. You don't understand history. The Roman case isn't even a matter of just "find women," plenty of them were forced to as any other slave.

Also, I gave no ceremonial examples. You gave the ceremonial example, which makes it evident that you have no clue what you are talking about as you just proved my point. If you want to crawl into the territory of realism, then most video-games have terrible representations of how combat with armour and the weapons used would actually work. Point of fact, not all armour even has to be plate. In fact, most armour would NOT have been plate if you take the sheer amount of different armour out there. More men protected by leather in history than plating any day if you want that scale to go off of.

J1M

Arcane

Yet you said ". . . no female soldiers to wear armor." That implies an absolute. I also mentioned examples of females who would have been soldiers before the modern era. The Scythians weren't entertainment, they defended themselves. Neither were the repressed Chinese, and that was a soldiering example. American women fought in the Civil War. You don't understand history. The Roman case isn't even a matter of just "find women," plenty of them were forced to as any other slave.

Also, I gave no ceremonial examples. You gave the ceremonial example, which makes it evident that you have no clue what you are talking about as you just proved my point. If you want to crawl into the territory of realism, then most video-games have terrible representations of how combat with armour and the weapons used would actually work. Point of fact, not all armour even has to be plate. In fact, most armour would NOT have been plate if you take the sheer amount of different armour out there. More men protected by leather in history than plating any day if you want that scale to go off of.
It appears that you mistook some colloquial language in a funny forum post for a legal document. Find an example that is more than half-of-one-percent valid before climbing that high horse.

"A woman wore a leather vest into battle one time" isn't a great example of female plate armor. Or are you arguing that men in games should have full plate and women should cap out at leather brigandines? :lol: Why do you care so much about this? :lol:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter

It appears that you mistook some colloquial language in a funny forum post for a legal document. Find an example that is more than half of one percent valid before climbing that high horse.

"A woman wore a leather vest into battle one time" isn't a great example of female plate armor. Or are you arguing that men in games should have full plate and women should cap out at leather brigandines? Why do you care so much about this? :lol:

You are clearly brain-washed by video-games and movie/tv interpretations that woman would have "special" female armour, as in boob-plate or something. You're missing the point and couldn't be further from the truth. There is no special "female armour" because females have always just worn the same armour a male would wear. Armour is armour. Not all men fit into the same armour and that is why there have always been different sizes and "custom fits" if you didn't want cookie-cutter armour seeing as there are different sizes, styles, etc. Try putting a typical Navy Seal in a traditional Roman centurian style and he likely wouldn't get the chest-piece on by virtue of Romans being shorter and smaller than a modern soldier (yet that armour was still "made" for a man) but a modern woman would likely fit just due to size. If you remade it however, you could in fact get it on the Navy Seal. Joan of Arc's heavy metal plating was extremely typical of what a man would wear, (albeit tailored to her just as a wealthy noble may have the same type of metal armour tailored to himself). A barrel-chested man will require a chest-piece that allows for more chest space than an average woman would require for the same chest-piece. If you think breasts might require that modification too then news for you, breasts flatten easily and women have less chest mass than men, which is why typical armour works fine on both sexes. Kevlar vests come in different sizes for a reason, but it's still a kevlar vest. Most places you just pick your size (S, M, L); man or woman. While female-tailored kevlar vests exist, that luxury isn't the reality for most departments and most women wear the same type of vest as a man if they are a police officer.

The most realistic armour for a woman is wearing just any regular armour that fits her person, just as is the case of any man. That's why there is no such thing as this special female armour. It doesn't exist. A human form is a human form.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Joan of Arc was a prepubescent female drummer-boy, not a soldier. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom