Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Beyond all Reason (open source Total Annihilation spiritual successor)

ArchAngel

Arcane
IIRC the water scenario actually has an equivalent to the hard Barbarian. Look back to previous page cause we talked about this with anvi.

The AI builds bases a little different than a human, basically a lattice of everything, spreading like cancer.
So it doesn't really take much of a hit unless you drop something that matters, early on, a cluster of extractors is important,
but later on losing a factory is what slows you down. Or nuclear power plants.
If it's already setting up Advanced nuclear and T2 metal makers, a few extractors isn't really a setback.

Yep, the AI uses rezbots a fair bit, especially on hard, and frankly so should you. They're really handy cause they're quick to build, easily repair and reclaim and also cloak by default.
Call it stupid if you must, wreckage being valuable resources that's just lying around is a concept that goes back to Total Annihilation.
Rezzing it is just an option, but I often prefer just to reclaim it.
I also reclaim it all the time when I can as metal is always needed. Resurrect should not exist, it makes destroying important stuff something you can recover fairly fast from. You can also Res commanders in team battles..
I play as Cortex, do their Ress bots also cloak?

spectre

Arcane
My bad here, it's actually "stealthy" which is different from the "cloak" toggle. In any case, it makes both faction rezbots invisible to radar for that extra bit of survivability.

Johannes

Arcane
Desert Triad can also be nice pick to get some practice,
because the three pillars are unreachable without air transport, so you can immediately tell where the bot will and will not be able to go.

Bots (including commander) can get to those hills, they're only too steep for vehicles.

Unfortunately, very few maps are well suited for 1v1 and even with 2v2 sometimes there's just too much ground to cover.
Learn to expand maybe

spectre

Arcane
Bots (including commander) can get to those hills, they're only too steep for vehicles.
Last time I played that particular map, they could not and did not.
I unknowingly started the match on one of these hills and couldn't get the commander off.
Unless it's been patched sometime along the way, or you get to terraform it with artillery fire.

Johannes

Arcane
Last time I played that particular map, they could not and did not.
I unknowingly started the match on one of these hills and couldn't get the commander off.
Unless it's been patched sometime along the way, or you get to terraform it with artillery fire.
It's a map made in 2006 and unchanged since. Press F2 ingame with a unit selected, to get an exact map of where they can and can't pass.

spectre

Arcane
Tested it just now and the motherfucker now walks off with no problem.
Still, I remember what I saw.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played some scenarios last night and had a blast. Stealing enemy ruins with scavengers is still fun.
Having a bit of trouble with the controls (coulnd't find how to attack move...) need to watch some videos I guess...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Played some scenarios last night and had a blast. Stealing enemy ruins with scavengers is still fun.
Having a bit of trouble with the controls (coulnd't find how to attack move...) need to watch some videos I guess...
I think F is attack move. Also all units just attack everything on their path when you give them just a move command.

What I want to know is how to select all units of same type easily. In Starcraft that is double click or ctrl+click on unit of type you want to select.. here it does not work.
Also box select keeps selecting not just combat units even when I have turned off that.
Also on the bottom there is a list of idle workers that is kind of useless as it select the unit but does not focus its camera to it. I do not want to give build commands to units that are far away..

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ctrl Z selects all units of the same type. If you triple click a unit it selects all units of that type on the screen. I wish there was a shortcut for that because I use that all the time and it kills my mouse with all the triple clicking.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ctrl Z selects all units of the same type. If you triple click a unit it selects all units of that type on the screen. I wish there was a shortcut for that because I use that all the time and it kills my mouse with all the triple clicking.
fuck why a triple click lol, what is wrong with keeping it double click..

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think it is double but you have to have the unit selected first. So without that it's 3 clicks. They also have a way to assign a number to all new units. Group something. But I do the 3x click so much I macroed it on my mouse.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, it's a lot to take in with the controls, but it's all very customizable (though that options menu still looks scary).
There are also all kinds of widgets and overlays, so if you want to do something (e.g. scatter units, use different bombing patterns for aircraft),
there's probably a control for it in there somewhere.

Plenty of youtube videos if you need it visualized.

Also on the bottom there is a list of idle workers that is kind of useless as it select the unit but does not focus its camera to it. I do not want to give build commands to units that are far away..
Nigger, just right click it to zoom to and even cycle between idle units. It's about as intuitive as they could do it.

fuck why a triple click lol, what is wrong with keeping it double click..
You do a lot of drag clicks to do shit. Having it like this prevents accidental double clicks screwing your selection up.
Also, triple click to select all text has been around since Firefox 3.0 and works in pretty much everything I tried it on..

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed you can right click metal with your workers to get it to start building metal extractors on it but most streamers I watched go through the process of building each.. any idea why?!

spectre

Arcane
https://www.beyondallreason.info/commands-20
The site has a lot of info about everything.

I noticed you can right click metal with your workers to get it to start building metal extractors on it but most streamers I watched go through the process of building each.. any idea why?!
Most of the time they seem to be using area build command, but if you're talking about the very start of the game, they're placing them manually cause you then don't have to
put it exactly on the metal spot but still get 100% output. This allows to build the starter setup without moving the commander at all and... y'know all those valuable milliseconds add up.

Johannes

Arcane
I think F is attack move. Also all units just attack everything on their path when you give them just a move command.

What I want to know is how to select all units of same type easily. In Starcraft that is double click or ctrl+click on unit of type you want to select.. here it does not work.
Also box select keeps selecting not just combat units even when I have turned off that.
Double click works for me to select units of that kind on screen. Idk what's different for me, don't think I've changed any setting to do that.

On top of ctrl-z for all units of the same type across all map, there's ctrl-x for units of that type which are not in any control group.

And yeah fight command (attack move) is F but it's not that useful, generally you want to just move with right click, it's usually better for units to keep moving also and not stop to fire when they encounter something to fight. But there's uses for that too, like arty attacking turret lines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom