Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Releases Concept Art

deus

Liturgist
Drakron said:
Oh and notice they are mer with means they are elves, in fact they were likely the 5th house (notice how there are 4 houses and Dagoth is the 6th house).
Nope, there are 5 houses not 4. Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvani are on Vvardenfell and Indoril and Dres on the mainland.

Drakron

Arcane
Chefe, go here:

http://til.gamingsource.net/

Read the timeline and the story of Daggerfall.

The dwemer created Numidium to be their new god, the Heart of Lorkan was to power it but Neverar put a stop to it.

Later Vivec gives Numidium as part of the deal to keep Morrowind under the Tribunal influence (the Empire never "conquered" Morrowind, the Tribunal made a deal) to Tiber Septim that naturaly could not use it (since he lacked the heart) but he found a way around with the Mantella that was a soul gem containing the heart of Tiber Septim's Imperial Battlemage (laster know as the Underking) and used the golem to complete his conquer of Tarmiel (after Morrowind what was left was the Aldmeri dominion - Summerset Isle and Valenwood) and then dispose of the neutral royals houses that were left and that is when its Battlemage disagreed with him and battle him ... in the end the Numidium's body was scattered.

Here is were that law and the Blades come in place, the law was created so he could recover the Numidium's pieces since it was dwemer in origin (and so anything dwemer had to be turned in) and the blades were created with the purpose of finding the Numidium's pieces, when Daggerfall takes place they already found and assembled the Numidium but lacked the Mantella to power it, the reason the law was created was completed and so there was no need to enforce it ... reason of why it was never removed is because Tiber Septim was viewed as a military genius and people finding out the real reason of that law would weaken the throne.

Drakron

Arcane
deus said:
Drakron said:
Oh and notice they are mer with means they are elves, in fact they were likely the 5th house (notice how there are 4 houses and Dagoth is the 6th house).
Nope, there are 5 houses not 4. Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvani are on Vvardenfell and Indoril and Dres on the mainland.

Dres was not a house when the events on Red Mountain taken place, in fact I dont think that Dres is considered a house on the council because they are not exactly "well seen".

Chefe

Erudite
Drakron said:
Chefe, go here:

http://til.gamingsource.net/

Read the timeline and the story of Daggerfall.

Sigh...

It's like talking to a brick wall. A big, stupid brick wall.

The dwemer created Numidium to be their new god, the Heart of Lorkan was to power it but Neverar put a stop to it.

Later Vivec gives Numidium as part of the deal to keep Morrowind under the Tribunal influence (the Empire never "conquered" Morrowind, the Tribunal made a deal) to Tiber Septim that naturaly could not use it (since he lacked the heart) but he found a way around with the Mantella that was a soul gem containing the heart of Tiber Septim's Imperial Battlemage (laster know as the Underking) and used the golem to complete his conquer of Tarmiel (after Morrowind what was left was the Aldmeri dominion - Summerset Isle and Valenwood) and then dispose of the neutral royals houses that were left and that is when its Battlemage disagreed with him and battle him ... in the end the Numidium's body was scattered.

Here is were that law and the Blades come in place, the law was created so he could recover the Numidium's pieces since it was dwemer in origin (and so anything dwemer had to be turned in) and the blades were created with the purpose of finding the Numidium's pieces, when Daggerfall takes place they already found and assembled the Numidium but lacked the Mantella to power it, the reason the law was created was completed and so there was no need to enforce it ... reason of why it was never removed is because Tiber Septim was viewed as a military genius and people finding out the real reason of that law would weaken the throne.

Was there a point to that history lesson? I mean a relevant point, like, concerning what we were discussing... the fact that there's a difference between wearing Dwemer armor and wearing Daedric. I'm glad you can copy stuff from the Imperial Library, I really am, but what does this have to do with anything?

Dwemer pieces are prized by nobles, collectors, and scholars. They can't just have Skippy the Happy-Go-Lucky Elf looting all the dwemer ruins one the island.

Chefe

Erudite
Drakron said:
Dres was not a house when the events on Red Mountain taken place, in fact I dont think that Dres is considered a house on the council because they are not exactly "well seen".

Uh, yes they were and yes they are.

I suggest doing a little research on that site you so helpfully linked me.

Lumpy

Arcane
Drakron said:
deus said:
Drakron said:

Dres has always been around. It's just that, neither it nor House Indoril have build settlements on Vvardenfell.

golgotha

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
How exactly would a guy in Daedric inspire less trust than a guy in Ebony armor?
You come home and you realize you've been robbed. Now, you step outside and there's two people to help you, one is wearing a ski mask, all black with a gun in his belt and the other is wearing a police uniform with a gun in his holster. Who would you trust first?

Perception goes a long way.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
To the idiot who described herion as an "upper": what do the words "narcotic" and "narcolepsy" have in common?

Chefe

Erudite
golgotha said:
You come home and you realize you've been robbed. Now, you step outside and there's two people to help you, one is wearing a ski mask, all black with a gun in his belt and the other is wearing a police uniform with a gun in his holster. Who would you trust first?

But wait! What if the man in the ski mask tells you he's a really, really nice guy and is here to help you and save the city from evil?

Stella Brando

Arcane
Why oh why was half of Morrowind covered in grey ash? Don't tell me 'because of the volcano,' you overweight reptile fetishists, I mean why the hell would you make a game like that? Running around San Fierro and Las Venturas was a thousand times as fun.

Golgotha said:
one is wearing a ski mask, all black

Skin or clothing?

Lumpy

Arcane
golgotha said:
Lumpy said:
How exactly would a guy in Daedric inspire less trust than a guy in Ebony armor?

WAAAIT a minute. There's a difference.
Why does the guy wearing a mask wear it? To hide his identity. Therefore, he must be some sort of criminal. The mask has no other use.
But why does the guy wearing Daedric armor wear it? To get better protection. He even takes his helmet off, so he's not hiding his identity.

Section8

Cipher
"Hey adventurer Bob, what's that you're wearing?"

"Oh this? It's my suit of dead babies. I got some guy to stitch them all together, and I just slip it on before I traipse off on one of my many adventures."

"My god! That's horrific!"

"No, it's fine, really. I just do it for the protection it provides. Nothing absorbs attacks better than the supple flesh of many infants."

I didn't do a very good job on that last post, your comments are quite valid. It's not like I want a completely non-reponsive world that I have to fill with life exclusivley by means of my imagination. Of course a good amount of logical feedback from the game is great and absolutely necessary to make it a good CRPG.

I did use an extreme view to illustrate my example, and I do get that you want a responsive world, but I'm of the opinion that it should be as responsive as possible across the board. But, it basically comes down to personal preference.

What I hate is overregulation via gameplay mechanics - you are class X, so you can't wear material Y. Your alignment is "chaotic evil" so you don't have dialogue option Z and everyone will run away screaming because they know.

Yeah, I definitely agree on this count, and I don't like unreasonable abstractions, nor outright restrictions (although they do have their place under certain circumstances). But I do like "grey area" choices, and that's where I'm coming from with the Daedric armour.

Wearing something so completely uber requires a certain compromise and sacrifice on the player's part. It's a common theme that I like to see in narratives. To use a common example, the idea of the Force's dark side. Great power comes at a price, et al.

You wear daedric armor and everyone assumes you are evil, without you having the chance to convince them otherwise by dialogue. Now, if the game were complex enough that you could go and convince people that you are stil a nice guy, or if they would give you the benefit of the doubt, because you alaready did lots of good things for the villagers, then I would be all for it. Since its usually done with a simple cause effect rule however, I prefer to leave such things open. In general prefer to leave a little more to the player and less to the gameplay mechanics for this kind of stuff.

Agree again. When I go off on these little flights of fancy it's generally idealism. Making townsfolk and guards hostile as a toggle dependent on wearing Daedric armour is a bit drastic, mainly because it archetypes the character into being purely a killing machine, taking away their avenues for social interaction. But pondering idealistic scenarios is a healthy outlet of ideas, and between the hair splitting there has been a solid undercurrent of great design ideas.

So yes, in general, it's better to not implement desirable features in such a half-arsed way that they become undesirable, but better still to ponder the "what ifs" of reaching for the stars.

Its a thing i hate about dialogue trees too: often you choose an option and the result is you alienate an NPC, he might attack you, not give you the item etc. etc. Now in real life I could argue, plead, apologize... - in a game I usually can't and it drives me crazy if that happens.

Another point I agree on to a certain extent. I've always disliked things like a player being caught stealing met with oppresive force and death. But, given that dialogue trees are essentially a simplified abstraction of true conversation, it's understandable that the player can bluntly "fail" in their conversation. I'd like to see this transcended, certainly, but in a limited sense it serves its purpose.

That purpose is to provide clear consequences to actions/dialogue, so that choice becomes important to the player. You've pissed off that NPC, and so you now need to explore other avenues. If the player could always talk their way in and out of bad conversational choices, then it dilutes that core experience, in the same way that assured success in every combat encounter would make that aspect of the game far less interesting.

If the player is faced with "He refuses to talk to me" or "I can't win this battle in a toe-to-toe fight" then those are problems that need to be solved, and the player must use some creative impulses to turn a situation that isn't occuring on their own terms into one that is. It's a lesser evil, I guess.

So, unless you have the time and talent to implement these kinds of feedbacks really well, I prefer to not have too much of that type. A few well placed ones (like the Indoril armor) is quite enough, IMHO.

We're on the same page here, and decent implementation is the key. I'm still going to ponder idealised scenarios though. ;)

Lumpy

Arcane
stalin_brando said:
How about if you march into a Middle-Eastern village, dressed as an Israeli soldier?
And why would you be dressed as an Israeli soldier? It's not like their uniform offers more protection. BUt this is not the case with Daedric.

Astarsis

Novice
Artists always work from reference, be it actual photos or models or previous artwork.

What would be wrong is doing a straight copy and then selling it for profit

Whoever did the concept art obviously liked the expression and position of the head

Keep in mind the final thing will be a 3D model. So he's not going to keep the face position or expression. Bessides the face and monster as a whole isn't that original, I saw 1000s variations on the same demonic styles in copy of old commics books (Vampirella) as well as in new ones. Pretty sure a lot of fantasy artists did similar artwork.

As for the wings, It's a fairly typical batwing shape, and the concept art didn't even kept the same wingspan or position

Bessides, from the quality of the face, it's obviously done

Guys, if you want to complain, at least complain about something worth complaining about ... such as the Daedric Dagger, which is pretty much a replica of a popular fantasy dagger sold as some shop, which could very well itself be inspired from previous movie/comic book or even (quite often) actual historical ceremonial dagger... big deal really

Almost as bad as the guy that complained the Daedric armor looked similar to some Nazgul armor sold on the web, which IMO looked like replica of Angus McBride middle earth painting which are then insipired from Frazetta which obviously drew inspireation from Vikings, Ancient russia, Ancient India and other historical sources

I had the chance to talk with Roger Zelazny many years ago (the author of the awesome 9 princes in Amber fantasy serie). He told me he had an impressive library full of reference and that he drew inspiration from historical sources such as the tarot and the kabala to build up his cosmology. No wonder it feel so real and so detailled.

Every writter do that. Every Artist do that.

If you read any book on painting by Boris Valejo, you will learn that using good references is just as important as using your imagination. Your art will not feel real if you don't look at the real world and use real reference.

Just try to draw a realistic hand and you'll be in for a few surprises.

I usually stayed out of all those funny discussions you guys have over here, but that one is a bit over the edge.

If anything I've always been a staunch defender of copyrights, but we're talking ... concept art here... not a book for sale ;D

Oh, and if you need fuel for complaints, that troll is a crossbreed of Arena Trolls and Willows (the movie)'s Trolls

OMG Tolkien infringed on the whole european mythos copyright, he should be burned ! He copied elves, dwarves... everything ! What an evildoer he must be !

Well... I'm glad he did.

Some current corporation took down some morrowind mod sites because someone dared to mod armor based on Marvel designs (The black knight, iron man and captain america)

If you ask me, that corporate giant was a bit dumb, as letting those mod lived would have no doubt been beneficial marketing-wise. Morrowind is not a superhero game. So it doesn't cut any potential income. It's pretty much equivalent to releasing a suit of armor with the pepsi logo on the shield. Free publicity.

As for that artwork, if I was the owner of the painting, I would no doubt give the ok, and perhaps ask for a little publicity (inspired by so and so...) I would not go AMOK

First the theme song, which IMO was almost a direct rip of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie theme

MMM saw the movie and didn't recognize it. if you asked me it sounded like soule usually sound like, and the part are rather... err.. I don't want to offend your obvious deep musical knowledge... but they were rather classical. I'm sure I can find lots of music that look like this one. Soule isn't the most imaginative, althought I do like some of his work, the opening title for morrowind, and - what's in my opinion is some of his best work - the stuff he did on icewind dale.

By the way, back to the imp, Wormgod did take that picture as reference. so he's pretty honest about it. IMO I'm surprised he didn't use some work by Valejo as a base. But as I said I got about 100s of pices of artwork that look nearly the same. in fact it's pretty close to the Marvel Style used in Doctor Strange too. Not espicially extravangantly original if you ask me.

Chefe said:
Fucking shit. Bethesda's is a direct copy, right down the the wings.

First the theme song, which IMO was almost a direct rip of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie theme, and now this.

copycat9rh.jpg

Any word, MSFD?

Astarsis

Novice
While your there, any chances for the Dark Brotherhood armor being altered for females ? Having a leather strap in that place is bound to be very unconfortable, even for guys, it should run closer to the center of the chest. I got no clues what that leather strap is for, but for pirates and the like, leather strap run diagonal and cross at the center of the chest. and they're not too tight either, you don't want to interfere with the movement of the shoulders.

I sometime wonder why modern games don't create real life model of their costume for purpose of testing. it's really not that expensive. you could even digitalize the 3D model after for a more realistic feeling :D

Don't pay attention I'm a bit crazy :lol:

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Lowry said:
@MSFD :

you probably cant answer this but... did the differing appearance of armour depending on the gender of the player character make it into the game? or is that just concept? (looking at the daedric armor art)

All of the armor types have a different appearance if the wearer is male or female.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Hey Astarsis, welcome to the 'codex.

Most of what you mention has been addressed in some of the other posts, so I'll just leave it at that...

I think any issues would have been dissipated (or not even brought up at all) if the concept art was accompanied by some sort of blurb by the artist.

If you clearly state the source of your influences/basis/direct quotation (or 2D art equivalent) then it is not plagiarism - as per submitting a university paper with clearly indicated references.
I don't think that placing an explanation in a semi-obscure forum (either this one, or a TES-fanboy one) is quite the same as being totally up-front and accompanying the graphics in your marketing material with the explanation.

And we'd also quite possibly get something to read. I'm always interested to know about the thought processes behind a creation.

Whatever. No doubt no-one cares anymore anyways :wink:

Astarsis

Novice
Well, you should have been a bit more creative..

first off, pauldrons and greaves were pretty useless (change little in AC)

second, you got almost all the wrong gear :D

The right gear look more like this

Helm - Bearclaw (got that one right)
Shield - Edolion
Cuirass - Dragonbone armor, what else ? (had to love water to find it)
boots - Apostle boots
Gloves - Randalf ? Randagulf ? Don't recall exact name, grab behind some altar in the first main quest 6th house dungeon. easy pick

isn't the ebony mail the one for which you got to be awfully patient and go through the whole seroe of temple quests ? those were rather boring compared to the rest

there wasn't a lack of other cool looking cuirasses
-savior armor (look like some sort of fur armor)
-lord mail (that must be the one looking like a centurion armor)

if you really want to mix greaves/pauldron with that, the high ordinator or nordic mail didn't look too bad.

you know, if you're in for a fashion show you got to make some compromises

in any case with my setup, helm - gauntlet - shield - cuirass all matched colors

granted the ebony armor didn't mix well at all, in fact I never liked that armor. I like the new version a lot better

Daedric by itself don't look bad but I never wore it either, I'm not the big evil guy type

I'm more a wolf armor / bear armor type of guy

I'm not sure what sort of foe you were trying to face, Morrowind was unfortunately not much of a challenge. by level 20 all 5 almalexia guards were dead (all 5 together :D )

in any case it's easy to do an ugly fashion setup in pretty much any game ;D I recall peoples making pun on some Diablo players because they were high level but looked so bad. sorcy, pally and amazon looked by far the coolest. sorcy mostly because they never wore any armor.

Twinfalls said:
Odorousrex said:
So my guess is the pre-enchanted "named" pieces (like in MW) will be come the "upper crust" of armor: Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, Fists of Randgulf, Lord's Mail, Ebony Mail, Spell Breaker, etc.

Ah, so the game will now encourage warriors to assemble piecemeal outfits from the odds-and-sods of legendary artifacts. Leading to characters resembling... (and I thank you for the excuse to once again post my favourite Morrowind image ever)

beetleman3bg.png

Scavenger-Man!!

Astarsis

Novice
I agree on that, I played nearly every pen & paper rpg, and all the most advanced system don't have ridiculous D&D style constraints. If you can't stay in character you should not play RPG period. I've seen my share of bad players in my gaming days.

Bessides, life isn't balanced. when a cat meet a mice he doesn't ask what penalty he's supposed to have.... :twisted:

RPG is mostly about feeling the way you should act and do things according to that. when playing the computer version, keeping a diary does help. It also mean optimize your play for experience and not *try to beat the game*

I know for me I was sent completly outside of the main quest by accident, usually getting lost and stumbling on daedric ruins, and something taking the wrong road. this ended up sending me at Andasreth and soon figuring out there were other similar stronghold and waging my private wars.

I went back to the main quest purely by accident when robing some house in the neighboroufd of good old caius

I'm not sure how armor is any sort of advantage. it always slow you down. or perhaps like many you didn't toy enough with MW acrobatics system. Plus Daedric armor suck because it's too heavy anyway. In most good pen & paper rpg, armor have penalty that interfere with both magic and manoeuver, and skills to deal with those problems. They got a similar approach in TES4. I prefer that to artificial constraint (like the original AD&D that really sucked big time. you can't wear armor. why ? because. mmm enlightning, really)

For me I would rather see them spend time on realistic injuries in a style similar to rolemster / harnmaster / runequest / chivalry & sorcery. or even similar to crazier system I've seen that were good (if done on computer) but impossible to play on paper.

I would really like to see an arm go limp, skin turn blue from a frostball, or the hair catch fire. and all this getting reflected on the character / npc. dropping his sword. unable to stand. becoming blind , going into shock and so on.

it would also open the way to knoking out npc instead of killing them

I would also like the so called monster become more human, more like npcs. much like the Bolgs in the Rhapsody trilogy. they are clearly sentients and should talk back.

you guys have interesting ideas but something seem to focus in the wrong direction.

But that's just my humble opinions, after over 25 years of RPGs and gamemastering :shock:

oh and ya, D&D third edition by the way pretty much copied the concepts over from other games :D in fact it look like both them and Bethesda got a fair amount of inspiration from Rolemaster. Thought the concepts were already present in early edition of Runequest.

GhanBuriGhan said:
Section8 said:
Considering that the making of daedric items involves a process of torturing deadra, a lot of my characters would indeed not use it on principle. Others of course would. It depends on the character. Nothing wrong with that. Its silly to demand that there should be other armors just as good just because you don't like the looks!

I'm just asking for game accountability.

Daggerfall provided limited rewards for making RP choices through it's advantage/disadvantage system so I could forego daedric gear and compensate with a character strength. This sort of thing is core to an RPG system worth its salt.

Think about D&D 3E. Plate armour is a huge advantage to an otherwise soft and squishy caster type. So wearing it comes with an appropriate disadvantage, in % for arcane spell failure. The player can further define their character with a feat to overcome this, but once again, at a disadvantage, although this time it's much slighter, and so it's a choice worth making.

I'm also aware of the torturing part of armour creation, and that's another factor in my character not choosing it aside from "OMG t3gh ev1l!!!!" looks. But wouldn't it be so much better if the bad vibes the armour still retains affect the character? If I'm good, pure and holy, it's likely to corrupt me in some way.

I think you people here are generally too focused on the RPG systems around here. You want everything covered and handled by the system, so that it makes sense and provides all kind of feedback. But good roleplaying has little to do with what the system forces or allows you to do and everything with what you make of it. In fact in P&P I found the better sessions were often the ones with the really simple rule systems, just becasue they did not get in the way of the actual roleplaying. Roleplaying is an exercise of the mind, staying in character is something YOU have to do, and I have no problem applying the same discipline to CRPG's as well. If the console kids don't have the discipline for that I can understand that, but that you guys, self-proclaimed hardcore RPGamers can't, that surprises me. So if you want to feel tempted to evil by wearing daedric, go ahead, but don't force me to do the same. Leave some room for free roleplaying and imagination, don't simulate everything.
So, should it really be the game that "corrupts you" or should it not be up to you if you want to play that corruption or not? Your example regarding magic and armor is a different thing, becasue it is all about game balancing and should be judged on that basis.

BTW, what you describe for 3rd edition armor - spellcasting relationships, sounds just like what MSFD told us about how it will work in Oblivion

Astarsis

Novice
Err ... computer haven't yet reached the point where they can help with a collective artistic creation...

And right now, a quick forray into MMORPG will quickly teach you collective creation is as good as the weakest link, usually the PKs, which is why most MMORPG look like a big mess

At least in a single player game you don't suffer that sort of interference. The only potential idiot being ourselves.

So ya, knowing the game is dumb, to a certain extent, you can take advantage of that and kill everyone in sight.

to really take care of that they need to devise an emotion system with an emotional energy concept, similar to stamina) that let you cancel automatic behavior (an alcoholic npc trying to drink yet another bottle) or start up a hard action (an ultra violent npc trying to force himself to heal someone ... he he he ... he's suppose to be a maniac now)

every action would need to be interpreted and catalogued to establish your profile, and if you really keep acting dumb, you should develop the corresponding mental disorder... or for some really stable player, playing in a very contrained way could actually give you benefits (that's a bit unlikely but who knows)

the game could take note you run everytime you see giant spoiders, and after the 100th time it could become a character trait (arachnophobia) and cost you emotional energy to counter.

likewise if you roleplay a saintly priestt and heal everyone / kill no one, the game should take note and it should become quite hard to attack peoples (cost emotional energy) and even hard to refrain from helping peoples.

in fact relationships with gods / supernatural being could even be based on that profiling. accessing higher miracles / magic could in fact requires you to be a saint.

I haven't seen anything like that yet.

there was a sort of prototype of that used in Pendragon (by Chaosium the makers of Runequest and Call of Chtullu) and latter by White Wolf (Ars Magica, Vampires The Maskerade... source of the recent vampires CRPGs)

Fact is, in real life, you cannot do everything you want, not just because of skills/lack of skills but also because of emotions. If you're scared it can littlerally paralyze you.

Section8 said:
If I make a choice and roleplay my character independent of the system in a P&P session, then there are other players who react accordingly to the choices I make, and also, a Dungeon Master to account for my choices and tailor the campaign, encounters and NPC reactions accordingly.

Single player CRPGs don't offer this kind of social interaction, so they need to substitute something in its place. If a game doesn't account for the RP decisions you make, why play the game? Why not find a nice patch of sun, kick back, and daydream instead? You're flexing that imagination without any of the constraints of a CRPG. Or even better, how about commiting some of that imagination to some form of creative media, like art or literature, so others can enjoy the fruits of your imaginings. That is after all what P&P RPGing is, entertaining yourself and friends with a collective creative output.

Astarsis

Novice
LOL ! That's the silliest thing I've heard.

I got a friend of mine to give up on drugs when I was still a young man by teaching him meditation techniques. And he wasn't talking cheap drugs, poor guy.

Anyhow it did work, because that stuff I thought him is far more efficient than any drugs and doesn't have any down side.

The brain can produce far more chemicals than most peoples imagine. Why do you think peoples can get hooked on sex, computer game and tv ?

the brain is a very complex tool. you can harness its power and do anything you want with it. or you can let *things* influence it

Personally I don't play CRPG expecting the level of creativity or realism of a movie. When I feel I want to see a movie, watch tv (not a lot), read comics, read a novel .. I do just that

If I feel creative, either I'll work on my research, work on my novel, or do some art.

And if I need an up, it's usually sport (the best drug supplier for the body, by the body itself :D )

I sure enjoy a certain degree of immersion and quality of story and artwork. but my prime concern, as ridiculous as it may seems, is twofold. on one side I like to hoard things, to accumulate ton of loot and be able to switch gear anyway I feel on that day. The second part is about exploring, visiting as many different surrounding as possible.

On the rpg/acting side it's pretty limited since all I got in front of me is a computer. MMORPG suck for the same reason. text in chat form can hardly carry any emotion.

on that side, the fact that the npcs will have expression on their face is interesting. and at least none of them will tell me he's ordering pizza while trying to leech xp by *joining my party* how immersive, hey ?

M'Aiq the Dragon said:
Reminds me of an interesting statement I've come up with:
Lucid dreams are the ultimate rpg's in terms of freeform, non-linear and raw roleplayability.

The disadvantages are your own imagination. And the capabilities of your own mind.
Also the reason why some people use drugs.
A lot of drugs do help with the imaginative process. Generally called "uppers". Examples would be stuff like Heroïne and Toadstools(*?). But also cafiëne. Cafiëne is "forbidden" in some sports.
Though there are drugs that can also reduce the imaginative process. Making you more relaxed. Ingnorance is bliss sometimes.
It's also a reason why you can suddenly understand some drug-arts when you're using drugs.
Anyhow drugs just produce certain substances that can help stimulate a certain proces in your mind.

*Toadstools is a translation for paddo's. I don't know what paddo's should be called in English, but I would asume toadstools or toadies come close.

Astarsis

Novice
Assuming this is a demon spawn, a few words exchanged should confirm that. No doubt he would move faster than me.

The only possible choice is to jump on him, knoking him to the ground with the weight of his armor, giving a tinny chance of quick exit.

Wait, that idiot dropped his weapon, how convenient. Glad my Gladiotor training paid off :D

Here goes nothing....

Which is pretty much the story of my first encounter with a Daedra at level one in Vivec sewers :D Replace jump on him & knock him down with Morrowind style stamina draining pumeling.

Now you know why my D&D Gamemaster got white hair after I defeated an oggre magi with a butter knife (at low level) 1 :D I love fire shield ! What's better than an ogre magi pumeling me to his own death ... muhahaha ;D

I always played rekless pc to the fullest extent, and had the dice-luck that goes with it, much like Mad Martigan in Willow. When you move fast, opportunity arrises. I recall accidentally falling into a cave when scaling the mountain between the ashland (ald ruhn) and west gash (gnisis). In the cave I found a daedric bow, daedric arrow, and I could hear the wail of a silver twilight under me. I wasn't as lucky as with the dremora and hhad to run for it. (or actually levitate :D )

That said it would be really nice if npcs could react that way with elders adressing the population and all. at least they will talk to each others. I like the way the bard gave the news to Neilos and he went on his way to help Kvatch. (in the e3 demo)

they did talked about holidays where town peoples would assemble.

Chefe said:
This is the talk of the town. People are worried, and you've noticed an increase in weapon purchases. Then, a few days later, you're outside of your shop fixing a broken hinge on the window. It's early in the morning, so most of the town is asleep and the streets are pretty much deserted. Then, out of the corner of your eye, you see a dark figure walking up. You turn your head, seeing a man fully decked out in armor that looks like it was made from the souls of the damned. It's gruesome spikes tell tales of violence and hatred. It glows red as if it were bleeding. Attached to the back of this figure is one of the largest and shiniest ebony claymores you've ever seen. The blade glistens as if it has just been sharpened, and the hilt is bloodstained.

What do you do?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Ummm... is Astarsis having a conversation with himself? The last six posts on this thread are his. Am I like not getting some of the posts here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom