Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Helps Old Fallouts Sell

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58609

Still, there's one surprise tucked away in there: Interplay's recent "Fallout Trilogy" bundle--packing Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics--has popped up on NPD's chart.

NPD's Top Ten (4/26 - 5/2)

1. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King / Blizzard / $32
2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $20
3. Left 4 Dead / Valve / $29
4. World Of Warcraft Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39
5. Empire: Total War / Creative Assembly / $50
6. World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $20
7. Fallout Trilogy (Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics) / Interplay / $20
8. Demigod / Gas Powered Games / $39
9. The Sims 2 Apartment Life Exp. Pack / EA Maxis / $20
10. Spore / EA Maxis / $50

Apathy

Novice
Well we don't really have anything to be pissed at them about. They made a shitty Fallout game, sure, but that's easily ignored. Bethesda themselves are easily ignored. They're a bunch of douche bags and the Codex pays them altogether too much attention.

aries202

Erudite
denizsi said:
Then how come GOG sells Fallouts?

I think GOG (=r CD Project, The Witcher) made an agreement or contract with Interplay to sell games from Interplay's back catalogue, including, but not limitedto the old Fallout games. I'm also pretty sure that any money from the sales goes to Interplay - if you buy the old Fallouts through the link in theupper right hand corner of the screen, the codex will get some money, too :)

Turok

Erudite
aries202 said:
denizsi said:
Then how come GOG sells Fallouts?

I think GOG (=r CD Project, The Witcher) made an agreement or contract with Interplay to sell games from Interplay's back catalogue, including, but not limitedto the old Fallout games. I'm also pretty sure that any money from the sales goes to Interplay - if you buy the old Fallouts through the link in theupper right hand corner of the screen, the codex will get some money, too :)

Also besheda sell the same thing, if anyone buy from amazon, make sure it say interplay and not besheda.

interplay.png

besheda.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So the money go either to a non-existent crappy company (interplay) or to a shitty company that's already rich (Bethesda) and the actual developers get nothing.

I'm curious though, as to how can Bethesda sell the older games.

Jason

chasing a bee
I was under the impression that they bought the whole kit & kaboodle, including the old games.

July 10, 2004 (Rockville, MD) -- Bethesda Softworks announced today that it will develop and publish Fallout 3 -- a sequel to the highly popular Fallout role-playing game franchise. Bethesda acquired the rights to the Fallout franchise from Interplay Entertainment Corp. (OTC Bulletin Board: IPLY) in a deal that awards Bethesda unrestricted worldwide rights to the Fallout franchise on the PC, home consoles, handhelds, and other media, with the option to develop and publish additional sequels.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I think they would have already gotten their monies? Doesn't retail buy the video games from the manufacture so the publisher/developers already get paid? I dunno pussy cat.

Vibalist

Arcane
johngalt said:
I bought Fallout yesterday. Came here by searching for "morrowind sucks", played Arcanum next (pretty good but kind of half-assed). about 3 hours in, can't say i see what's so special about it yet but we'll see..

It isn't a game for everyone.

What exactly is it you dislike about it, if you don't mind my asking?

DemonKing

Arcane
Pretty funny...I can imagine all the FO3 kiddies picking up the original titles only to be shocked to discover the game won't work in their 360s... :roll:

Lurkar

Scholar
Do they rate only PC exclusives or are multiconsole games included? If the second, I think it's somewhat telling that all the top selling games seem to be strongly oriented at PC exclusives, which, as we all know, apparently never sell.

I'd be interested in a look at the staying power of multiconsole games. They seem to make a big splash once they come out, and then instantly die.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
johngalt said:
I bought Fallout yesterday. Came here by searching for "morrowind sucks", played Arcanum next (pretty good but kind of half-assed). about 3 hours in, can't say i see what's so special about it yet but we'll see..

Trollbots are improving. They're using some primitive form of "nuance" like pretty good but kind of half-assed. Still, the Came here by searching for "Morrowind sucks" is a dead giveaway.

5 out of 10. Because making bots is hard work.

bhlaab

Erudite
Lurkar said:
Do they rate only PC exclusives or are multiconsole games included? If the second, I think it's somewhat telling that all the top selling games seem to be strongly oriented at PC exclusives, which, as we all know, apparently never sell.

It counts anything released on the PC platform. Doesn't count digital distribution however, only retail. Which is why there's a strong inclination towards The Sims etc

I'm willing to bet that a ton of the Fallout sales are from people walking into Best Buy, seeing the box, and going "Oh hey, I like Fallout 3 and I've been wondering what the first two were like. Might as well."
I'll also bet a lot of people bought it thinking the third part of the 'trilogy' included would be Fallout 3. A bit of clever marketing on Interplay's part by naming it that.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
johngalt said:
If you were serious

I wish I was. People are getting so stupid, I'm placing a great deal of faith in bots to hold pleasant conversations in the near future. But you didn't link to an offer of penis extender or virility pills, so you couldn't really be a bot. :cry:

Welcome to the Codex btw.

Vibalist

Arcane
johngalt said:
Vibalist said:
johngalt said:

It isn't a game for everyone.

What exactly is it you dislike about it, if you don't mind my asking?

Which game?

Fallout is getting better..

Arcanum? I liked building my tech character, and the item graphics are sublime. but Kerghan/Arronax/the Dark Elves?? why include such generic fantasy nonsense?. I got chills listening to Gilbert Bates' exposition, but that was probably the high point of the game.

On the other hand, there were some real gems like the siamese twins skulls plot, st. mannox, or maximillan. If Troika had some balls, something like the siamese twins would've been the main plot.

Morrowind? They had such a golden setting with the Imperials stealing the lands of the native elves. Work for the emperor as the neverine/double agent, or as the neverine destroy all Imperial presence on the island... instead, Caius disappears never to return and you have to kill some lame ass generic ancient evil

I meant Fallout. :D

Sorry if I didn't clarify.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did anyone else notice that the rating for the Fallout collection sold by Interplay is "Teen" and the one sold by Bethesda is "Mature"?

lulz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom