Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda fixed Fallout's flaws!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Carrie Underwood said:
Warden is the worst troll here. Arguing with him/her/it is a pointless waste of text.

I think it's time to release the douchebag tag.

2lqmqg.gif
Warden earned a custom-tailored one. How about a small picture of David Gaider with words "Rejected Fangirl" nearby?

Binary

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Warden said:
At least you should take advices from bioWhore, since it's the company where the guy you have fellatio with works (dgaider)...
The Codex does have a reputation of being #1 Bioware fansite.

AND Troika fansite AND Black Isle fansite AND ...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:

Political tension runs high in Cyrodiil, as the new Emperor Vince D. Weller has executed the beloved troll spacemoose for inciting rebellion and exposing himself in the Imperial City. The Emperor's political opponents, Nutcracker, vrok, and Cassidy, cried foul and started rabble-rousing in the streets, causing Weller to send in for the fearsome guard ViolentOpposition in an attempt to restore order. Meanwhile behind the scenes, the Emperor's advisor Naked_Lunch opened the gates of RetardoLand in the midst of all of the chaos. Naked_Lunch proceeded to give the Amulet of Kings to Nicolai and POOPERSCOOPER, who used its power to create a wordfilter throughout all of Cyrodiil, making communication impossible. They brand the Emperor a DUMBFUCK!!! and attempt to blame their coup on a bard named kingcomrade and a furry Kajeet named Jasede. The coup fails, however, when the retired God-Emperor DarkUnderlord returns to power and restores order to the realm of Cyrodiil. Vince Weller, who was stripped of his imperial power during the coup, asks DarkUnderlord for his powers back so he can smite the revolutionaries. DarkUnderlord replied coyly, "Fuck you."

Alright guys, confess, who of you wrote this?

Kogorn

Novice
I understand that one of Bethesda's goals is to create a world that one can immerse oneself in. Having one's decisions impact the reactions of other characters, the development of the world and one's reputation is one of the most powerful ways to create immersion. It's stupid that, in Oblivion, one could become Champion of the Knights of the Nine and Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. It made no sense. Theoretically the goals of those two factions are in complete opposition to each other.

Yes, there are some situations where joining both factions makes sense (i.e. double agent) but this kind of thing should not be universally allowed, and being a double agent is in fact a faction in itself.

I have great admiration for Bethesda for creating Morrowind (although all factions were joinable, there were consequences and their paths would cross during missions), but it now seems that they're catering to whiny kids with ADD who want everything without doing the work to do it. You want to try something else? Create a new character and play the game in a way that allows you to get there! It KILLS replayability to allow people to do nearly everything in one playthrough, especially in an RPG.

Maybe the newspapers aren't reporting all the facts, but from what I've been able to read we're once getting a game with all graphics, handholding and combat, and not a roleplaying game with a truly immersive world where roleplaying actually has an effect on gameplay. I'm going to wait until the game actually comes out, but from what I've been able to read prospects are not good.

If we get a compass and quest markers again:
/cryinacorner

Thrasher

Erudite
Yes, at least in Morrowind there are 3 factions that are entirely exclusive (unless you took advantage of an obscure exploit).

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
"I don't get it.. you all seem to hate Fallout 3 so much without having even played it (because it's developed by Bethesda) yet you keep discussing about it like a kid who saw candies and is now begging his mummy to buy it as he WANTS THOSE SWEET CANDIES!"

So... how's your love affair going with BIO? You hate them but all you do is talk about them even a FO thread. LMAO

In essence: Pot. kettle. black.

I agree we should wait to give our final judgment on FO3 after we at least try it out, but goddamit, what have we seen so far? Let me refresh your memory a bit:

1. Teddy bear rocker launcher
2. People that seem to be build from dried shit, considering a teddy bear to the chest makes the guy's legs fall off.
3. VATS which not only is boring, but has no strategical value like in previous Fallouts, combined with sucky FPS
4. Stupid VATS camera, which can hopefully be turned off
5. Stupid AI of enemies who either stand in one place, or charge at you like mindless assholes, or go back and forth like retards and crouch when you start shooting teddy bears at them
6. Retarded ideas of weapon creation from completely uncompatible things.
7. Dialog options:
Your dad's dead.
Sorry, your dad is dead.
Your dead is ant food, Brian.
8. Examples of Bethseda's understanding of Fallout humor -> a letter in the mailbox saying that a family has been accepted into vault, but you see the family skeletons hugging each other in the house. Funny, LOL indeed and although no one is forcing you to laugh at it, it clearly shows how retarded Bethseda is.
9. Gamplays which consisted of running around killing things every few steps.
10. Merging of perks with traits
11. Gaining perks every level
12. Ex Vault Dwellers worshiping a bomb! I guess they are the descendants of Bethseda dev crew.
13. Judging by this here thread, choices and consequences like in Oblivion and may I remind you that C&C is what made originals so special.
14. Unkillable children
15. Orcs instead of mutants
16. Zombies instead of ghouls
17. Vault that no one leaves and no one enters
18. Radiation poisoning in water after 150 years, while the nuke explodes 3 feet away from you and you get nothing
19. Destruction of original FO spirit
20. Fuck even the music composer is some other guy, and this time we can't hope the modders will save the day, because you won't even get the toolset with the game!

I think this pretty much covers everything. So you see my dear Volly and Warden, people have every GOD DAMN right to be pissed off based on what they have seen, because it should be clear even to the most retarded moron of morons by now, that THIS IS NOT FALLOUT! IT IS FUCKING OBLIVION WITH GUNS!!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Indeed, I'm not expecting any real consequences in Fallout 3. I just watched an interview with the Toddler on Xbox Live where he said if you act evil in towns, the residents will forget about everything after a few days. And he said that as if its a good thing. The interviewer didn't seem to care much, because the majority of his questions were about the weapons and combat.

Hey... I don't quite remember that residents were forgetting about everything in Oblivion. And now they do in Fallout 3.

Cool. Fallout 3 is dumber than Oblivion

Thrasher

Erudite
I wonder what the original Fallout designers feel about the direction Bethesda has taken Fallout 3?

Micmu

Magister
Kogorn said:
If we get a compass and quest markers again:
/cryinacorner
Yes, in fact they do have all that AND it's a fully-blown radar now, too. (shows hostiles outside pc's line-of-sight where radius is determined by Perception).

MetalCraze

Arcane
You actually can see that on all F3 gameplay videos
Look at the quest compass - now see some red dots there? Good - those are your enemies shown

Mareus

Magister
skyway said:
You actually can see that on all F3 gameplay videos
Look at the quest compass - now see some red dots there? Good - those are your enemies shown
No, that's Bethseda's way of saying: "Hey guys, this is where the fun is."

LOL

elander_

Arbiter
"Act like a fabulously magnanimous arse for your first few quests in Vault City and certain quests will start dropping out of reach for you – you can’t become Captain of the Guard if you’ve got false citizenship papers and a liberal, peaceful attitude to nearby towns. "

Wouldn't Vault City be more concerned with the opinion of the people they trust in their own towns than what people think outside it? Besides anyone who played Fallout should know that Vault City considered everyone outside their city uncivilized marginals.

Thrasher

Erudite
That quoted statement is false.

I became Captain having false citizenship papers and also by playing a good guy (including clearing out the raiders base).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mareus said:
considering a teddy bear to the chest makes the guy's legs fall off.

Targeted shots to the head did the same thing in Fallout 1/2.

You need to add Ghouls now shoot magic missile! (waves of radiation). At least according to an article on NMA.

Micmu

Magister
While you're at it, don't forget on Mass Healing spell (or "Curative Fluids", as they labeled it).

Mareus

Magister
Jaesun said:
Mareus said:
considering a teddy bear to the chest makes the guy's legs fall off.

Targeted shots to the head did the same thing in Fallout 1/2.

Not really. The animations looked way better in original. Gory effect doesn't look retarded like in FO3.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Well, to be fair, even the original Fallout offered you a second chance sometimes - you had to piss off Aradesh twice before he remained pissed off, for instance. I think this was a change from the original design to make it more forgiving, but FO3 is taking this way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay too far.

Kogorn

Novice
Bethesda just has to realize that true rpg gamers, one who will play a game for ages to come and not just until the next shiny new toy comes out:

1. Favor gameplay, story, characters, etc. over LESS important things like graphics and sound. Graphics and sound, while already a waste of money for the company to focus on, do not add anything to the replay value of the game. People go back and replay the BG series with every class (like myself), don't do so because of graphics.

2. Want to be able to fuck up. If we wanted to play a game flawlessly, we'd buy a strategy guide. There's no skill involved when puzzles are lame, a compass tells you to do everything, and you can beat the game without dying. No one hands you everything in life, and they shouldn't train people to expect so in video games.

3. Want an immersive world that makes sense. This means that certain factions are mutually exclusive, they make war on each other, your actions have consequences, etc. Random items won't combine to form superweapons.

4. Want character development to impact gameplay. When targeting monsters depend on aim with the mouse and not skills of the character, you take all the fun out of character development, and make the game unrealistic. When you make traits perks, you ruin the potential uniqueness of characters.

5. You make certain changes that heavily impact the lore of an already existing universe, especially when you did not create it yourself.

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
Kogorn said:
Bethesda just has to realize that true rpg gamers, one who will play a game for ages to come and not just until the next shiny new toy comes out:

1. Favor gameplay, story, characters, etc. over LESS important things like graphics and sound. Graphics and sound, while already a waste of money for the company to focus on, do not add anything to the replay value of the game. People go back and replay the BG series with every class (like myself), don't do so because of graphics.

2. Want to be able to fuck up. If we wanted to play a game flawlessly, we'd buy a strategy guide. There's no skill involved when puzzles are lame, a compass tells you to do everything, and you can beat the game without dying. No one hands you everything in life, and they shouldn't train people to expect so in video games.

3. Want an immersive world that makes sense. This means that certain factions are mutually exclusive, they make war on each other, your actions have consequences, etc. Random items won't combine to form superweapons.

4. Want character development to impact gameplay. When targeting monsters depend on aim with the mouse and not skills of the character, you take all the fun out of character development, and make the game unrealistic. When you make traits perks, you ruin the potential uniqueness of characters.

5. You make certain changes that heavily impact the lore of an already existing universe, especially when you did not create it yourself.

Those days are gone, and you know who I blame?

GameStop. They're a fucking cancer. They've managed to kill the idea of "replayability."

GameStop is the reason designers don't focus on these kinds of things anymore. All you have to do is make the game shiny enough to be an impulse-buy, then get crackin' on the sequal, since the average console-kiddie will get bored with the three games he bought last week and trade them in at GameStop for a new release, rather than buying from a retailer and sending a profit to the developers.

Fucking leeches.

Binary

Liturgist
micmu said:
While you're at it, don't forget on Mass Healing spell (or "Curative Fluids", as they labeled it).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Here dear, drink my... curative... fluid"

I predict a 18+ rating for Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/08/04/fallout-3-hands-on-preview/1

Previous Fallout games have always funneled the player into a particular character type based on past actions and responses. Act like a fabulously magnanimous arse for your first few quests in Vault City and certain quests will start dropping out of reach for you – you can’t become Captain of the Guard if you’ve got false citizenship papers and a liberal, peaceful attitude to nearby towns.

Fallout 3 however has a slightly different ethic and has spun this round somewhat because there’s a hidden flaw wrapped in the model of the previous games – that the player doesn’t always know how their options are being trimmed, their choices culled. You might miss out on important quests and information without knowing it, so as well as extending development time by factoring in all this redundant content, you can leave players feeling falsely trapped or locked into a game they don’t want to play.

Fallout 3 avoids this neatly then, giving players a constant string of second chances. You’re reputation is still tracked locally and globally via the karma evil-o-meter that labels you with different titles and insults based on your allegiances and actions, but you have a permanent ability to disobey your own ethic.

You can, for example, take on a specifically evil quest to slaughter the entire population of kittens a town, but doing so won’t prevent you from taking a good quest later or having a chance to expand the kitten orphanage to nicer premises if you want to turn your life around.
Bit-Tech need to kill themselves for allowing this absolute piece of tripe to be published.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom