Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda fixed Fallout's flaws!

The Dude

Liturgist
It's not like anyone with half a brain should be surprised at either the stupid article or Bethesda if it's the truth. Just another pile on the heap of evidence saying that mainstream gaming and the "journalists" on it's payroll now suck. So, where's the news? And WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOUR CAUSTIC COMMENTS VD!? If you now suddenly are "too industry" and scared to put your dick up the wrong ass I'm truly a sad panda. Your posting style of olde truly would be one of the few things making stuff like this worth reading.

Black

Arcane
1218060559752zs5.jpg

What's going on here?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The Dude said:
And WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOUR CAUSTIC COMMENTS VD!? If you now suddenly are "too industry" and scared to put your dick up the wrong ass I'm truly a sad panda. Your posting style of olde truly would be one of the few things making stuff like this worth reading.
Nope, not too industry, whatever that is. I'm "retired" and since I fully support and appreciate Dark Underlord's newsposting efforts, I think that sticking with a more neutral style when I feel the urge to post something would be best.

obediah

Erudite
DraQ said:
Caustic comments are good and desirable.

Especially with the whole Codex hooked on vitriol.

My doc moved me to vitriol CP.

Lothers

Scholar
Vibalist said:
As unpopular as this opinion may be, I think it's fair enough that a roleplaying game sometimes offers you the chance of rectifying past mistakes or "missteps" you feel you may have made. I think getting banned from Vault City in Fallout 2 is a good example of how that game could sometimes be a little *too* unforgiving in the C&C department. There was basically no way at all you could ever enter Vault City after pissing them off, except for cheating. No bribing the gate guards or somehow convincing them in some clever way that you were worthy of re-entering. Once you pissed off Lynette, the city was closed off for he rest of the game. This annoyed me a whole lot, especially because you could get yourself banned by doing things you didn't even know would piss her off.

That's why some real-life perks like "brilliant mind", "common sense", "smart-ass" or even simple "logic" were so useful when playing first two Fallouts... You had to THINK what you were doing because your every choice had it's LOGICAL consquences... That's what i call immersion. Sadly, it seems, that for Beth-soft these "perks" are rather "traits" that are annoying and unnecessary for someone who don't want to break the "immershun" of chasing red dot on your compass (also known as "retardo-beacon" or "quest destination marker for dumbed down people") while shooting your way out of "random encounters"... like one they were showing on movie - when you meet some guy in the wasteland and he randomly start shooting at you, so YOU HAVE TO shoot him... Call of Duty style... (sounds exciting lol), so these skills would have no use in TES5 and didn't make it into game... but who cares about logic when you got your big gun, that kinda look like a slingshot and fires rad-free-mini-atomic-bombs, that takes several shots to kill everything that is little bit more tough than these ordinary but slightly mutated two-legged-mudcrabs which looks exactly like these from Oblivion... filthy creatures :/ BTW. I would ask Todd why he thinks that they will still be using atomic bombs in the world where nuclear war almost wiped out life on planet and changed Earth into radioactive hell... that would be neither wise, nor responsible... But people will never learn...

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
It served the purpose.

I wonder about the day the game comes out. Will there be a shitstorm on the Codex with new threads popping out everywhere, or will there be an anti-climax with FO3 being neither the incarnate of everything wrong nor the second coming...

Lothers

Scholar
I had this theory when I first heard that Bethesda will make Fallout 3, after playing Oblivion, that they released this dumbed-down boring medieval-slasher for console market with no real high production values only to get a huge bag of money which they could use to make really good, true Fallout game (don't mind first person view, it's not that bad, however they could add isometric camera), that's what I would definitely do being on their place, but now I see how naive and idealistic I was, it's very sad and uninspiring, if they wanted only money than why Fallout? They could buy Dark Sun or even Mad Max franchise or simply do even more dumbed down episode of TES series, the sales would be high too...
I feel that there will not be a reason to play F3 several times, trying another choices cause there won't be any... Eventually there will be mod tools but it can help only as much as it helped Oblivion, people play it only to try new mods, otherwise the game would be long ago in a trash now...

I know this sounds kinda gay with all that whining but couldn't help myself the other way so f*ck you Beth-soft fags and fanboys lol ... I hate this guys!

Vibalist

Arcane
Lothers said:
Vibalist said:
As unpopular as this opinion may be, I think it's fair enough that a roleplaying game sometimes offers you the chance of rectifying past mistakes or "missteps" you feel you may have made. I think getting banned from Vault City in Fallout 2 is a good example of how that game could sometimes be a little *too* unforgiving in the C&C department. There was basically no way at all you could ever enter Vault City after pissing them off, except for cheating. No bribing the gate guards or somehow convincing them in some clever way that you were worthy of re-entering. Once you pissed off Lynette, the city was closed off for he rest of the game. This annoyed me a whole lot, especially because you could get yourself banned by doing things you didn't even know would piss her off.

That's why some real-life perks like "brilliant mind", "common sense", "smart-ass" or even simple "logic" were so useful when playing first two Fallouts... You had to THINK what you were doing because your every choice had it's LOGICAL consquences... That's what i call immersion.

I don't really disagree that some choices should have tough consequences, but I still think it's possible to make a game where your choices actually matter without having outcomes that will spoil your game and force you down a road you don't want to pursue.
So, you had to use your logic and common sense to predict that Lynette wouldn't throw you out of Vault City after blowing up the plant? Too bad she was pretty unpredictable, and would kick you out for basically carrying out her orders. Now, I'm not saying that having an unpredictable quest giver who will sometimes do something crazy is bad per se, but I would have loved to see some way of getting back into Vault City after messing up. That wouldn't have ruined the c&c thing for me, especially if getting back in was a difficult task that required much time and sacrifice on the behalf of the player.

To me, it's more of a testament to Fallout 2's limits than anything else that once you got banned from Vault City there was nothing you could about it whatsoever.

Lothers

Scholar
Vibalist said:
...I would have loved to see some way of getting back into Vault City after messing up. That wouldn't have ruined the c&c thing for me, especially if getting back in was a difficult task that required much time and sacrifice on the behalf of the player.

Agree. You should have several options to get there other than playing game one more time making another choices like bribe a guard or something, that would be logical too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom