Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Bethesda Appreciation Thread

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
arguing with drog
in 2013

you people are easily amused

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If Oblivion was just just your random AAA production game I wouldn't care one bit that some like it, but after becoming so engrossed in the Elder Scrolls world thanks to Morrowind, then having Bethesda completely shit on their own lore in Oblivion and making a game with atrocious mechanics to boot, and then seeing people support that shit, that's what makes me

Yeah. I mean it wouldn't be a really good game either way, but the crushing disappointment it was for the series certainly makes it worse than it would be otherwise.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jeremy Soule was better both in Morrowind and Skyrim anyway, the former is better as RPG and latter as Popamole game and both as Sandbox Experience so Oblivion was made redundant. Only memorable thing about it was massive rape of Cyrodil Lore its guilty of.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I seriously cannot think about a single good thing about Oblivion, even the music aside from 2 or 3 themes was meh. It's probably not the worst game ever made, but it certainly is one of the worst games that I've ever played. No other game known to me is so completely deprived of any challenge or sense of accomplishment.
Really? I think Oblivion might have the strongest soundtrack. There are tons of memorable themes. Morrowind's is probably still my favorite, but uh, Skyrim next to Oblivion? Really? Skyrim is mostly just ambient stuff, good for what it is, but man I downloaded and listened to the soundtrack... sleepiest 3 hours of my life.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I seriously cannot think about a single good thing about Oblivion, even the music aside from 2 or 3 themes was meh. It's probably not the worst game ever made, but it certainly is one of the worst games that I've ever played. No other game known to me is so completely deprived of any challenge or sense of accomplishment.
Really? I think Oblivion might have the strongest soundtrack. There are tons of memorable themes. Morrowind's is probably still my favorite, but uh, Skyrim next to Oblivion? Really? Skyrim is mostly just ambient stuff, good for what it is, but man I downloaded and listened to the soundtrack... sleepiest 3 hours of my life.
From Oblivion soundtrack I like only the dungeon ambient track, the main theme and the exterior theme. Skyrim has much better and more dynamic combat music, a few nice town and traveling themes, plus some quite atmospheric ambient tracks. That said I don't find the music all that memorable, my favorite game ost by Soule is still Neverwinter Nights, but overall I like it much more than Oblivion soundtrack.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I can't play any significant stretches of TES with the music turned on because I find it very distracting in fpp games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the memorable stuff in Skyrim is either direct Morrowind tracks or remakes of them.

Oblivion's soundtrack was great. Not a thing to bash that game for at all.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I liked Oblivion's OST as well. It wasn't as good as Morrowind's OST, but as far as game soundtracks go it was pretty alright.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, the memorable stuff in Skyrim is either direct Morrowind tracks or remakes of them.

Oblivion's soundtrack was great. Not a thing to bash that game for at all.
I'm far from bashing it for the music, which I consider the best part of the whole installment, even though I don't like it as much as some ppl in this thread.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Anyhow, when people on the codex bitch, cunt, and whine about how much Oblivion sucks the smegma out of horse-forskin, it's because games like Gothic and Gothic 2 exist.

At least Oblivion doesn't force you to look at your character blocking the 3D view all the time - my pet peeve with Gothic. The non-configurable controls are also quite annoying.
3rd person makes melee combat better, and it's how the developers intended the game to be played. Yes, it's a bit clunky, as are the controls and the response, but you get used to it. Also, the response improves as your stats improve, which is freaking genius.

For all it's faults, at least you can modify nearly every aspect of Oblivion to your heart's content.
As much as I dislike Zenimax/Bethesda for going Steam only and for their ridicilously censored/monitored forums, I think Bethesda deserves kudos for the moddability of their games, and for being among the very few developers that AAA RPGs that are not interactive movies.
Yes, I ultimately gutted Oblivion and turned it into Nehrim, which is infinitely better, but I'm not giving Bethesda any kudos for that. Oblivion, for all its pretty environments and superficiality, is still a terrible GAME. If Bethesda starts making RPG maker tools and selling them to the public I'll give them their back-pat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It doesn't come off as being completely dead from those two links... just very likely dead. Thank in any case, was a fun read "those press sneak fucks" :lol:

[http://www.aliennoire.com/home/news/bethesda-bullied-human-head/] - this is quite old at this point.

• Bethesda promised Human Head a 6-month extension to polish Prey 2.
  • Bethesda later retracted the new 6-month schedule before it was written into the contract.
  • Bethesda then began denying Milestone payments to Human Head.
  • Bethesda was more interested in how Human Head ran their team and studio.
  • The original contract forbid Human Head to start their own project until Prey 2 was finished.
  • Additional time was asked to finish Prey 2 after Milestone rejection delayed the schedule.
  • Bethesda thought the game was “lackluster” and “needed a lot of work”
  • Bethesda attempted to purchase Human Head Studios during this dispute.
  • Prey 2 production halted in November of 2011 until Bethesda could come to their senses.
  • Human Head offered multiple solutions to finish the project with Bethesda.
  • Bethesda chose not to speak with Human Head in over a year.
  • The rights to develop Prey 2 have now reverted back to Bethesda.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No one really has enough information to call Bethesda, Human Head or both the villains of that whole debacle. While it's likely they were asshole publishers I've worked with enough spoiled brat types to also consider it likely Human Head were asshole contractors.

Unless we're taking a communist manifesto worker is always right viewpoint here.

Millions of people loved Oblivion. Stop acting like the possibility is unheard of, or that it being shitty is an objective opinion.

And I say that as someone who hates that fucking game with a passion.
wrong.
millions of people convinced themselves they liked oblivion because they spent money on it and months praising it without any actual proof and now they just can't eat their own words back, and millions of people loved oblivion because they don't know shit about good videogaming and they're happy with whatever turd it's shoven down their throats.
because it does objectively suck.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
millions of people convinced themselves they liked oblivion because they spent money on it and months praising it without any actual proof and now they just can't eat their own words back, and millions of people loved oblivion because they don't know shit about good videogaming and they're happy with whatever turd it's shoven down their throats.because it does objectively suck.

There's no such thing in media as objectively sucking.

I hate Oblivion but for people who came to it as baby's first RPG or console's first Western RPG it likely soars up the quality scale like a fucking eagle high on cocaine. You could make the argument perspective impairs objective appraisal, but here's the truth on that: everyone has a perspective. Everyone has a history, a standard, a preference, a mother and father with personalities all their own and whatever kind of baseline intelligence absence any environment that you want to believe exists.

And thus every experience with media is subjective.

the experience is subjective, the suckage is not.

a stroke of hammer to the balls: some people could like it, but it's going to severely damage your health nonetheless.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Ofcourse I am biased because I enjoy good ambient music, but the skyrim soundtrack is well made and much more subtle than the bsb oblivion soundtrack. Atleast it was something different for a change and actually helped to nake walking through snowy areas etc much more enjoyable. Ofcourse there are still retarded orchestral pieces in, but he toned them down atleast.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Don't get me wrong, the Skyrim soundtrack is solid and integrates well into the game. But as something to listen to on its own it's actually fairly weak because of the sheer amount of repetition in most of the songs (I could barely tell one theme apart from the next half the time). I always saw Oblivion's soundtrack as being very similar to Morrowind's, but I feel it has a more convincing sense of atmosphere and ambiance to it, as well as more varied instrumentation. But I can see how for Jeremy Soule the goals would be a bit different between the two "styles" and how they reflect changes in his approach over the years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom