Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Bethesda Appreciation Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Such an innovative company should have its own shrine ... for giggles and shit.

Pete Hines's smile takes horror backs to its roots.

Their own version of Bioshock.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For all the shit their modern games get I would rather play New Vegas, Dishonored or Skyrim than almost anything else released from a big publisher the last 5 years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I remember these countdown videos slowly unrolling one per day before Oblivion came out. They got me so fucking excited, so fucking PUMPED to play that fucking thing.

Then it came out :(

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I liked Oblivion and I liked Fallout 3. They definitely are not up there with Fallout 1 and Morrowind, but anyone who says they are terrible games need to have their brain checked.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Oblivion and I liked Fallout 3. They definitely are not up there with Fallout 1 and Morrowind, but anyone who says they are terrible games need to have their brain checked.

Define "terrible."

I think they are profoundly disappointing, poorly designed, poorly written, clunky on the technology front and often ugly. At the same time though, would I play them before playing 90% of other modern games? Probably.

It's all relative.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I do hope you copied a youtube comment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bethesda is pretty much a nonentity to me but they did a pretty good job with giving Obsidian money to make New Vegas. They could have done a better job but oh well.

There are times when I consider giving Skyrim a try to see what a 10+ million-selling Josh-enjoyed RPG is like but my better senses have always won out so far.

Mortmal

Arcane
ban him. ban him with fire before he lays eggs.

Honesty is welcome, so many codexers have huge amount of hours spent on those games last time i checked steam, that means they are still doing something right while not achieving greatness. For something truly terrible just get an ipad or android tablet and search for rpgs , behold the horrors of this world.There's not a single thing worth playing.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I can still kind of see where taxalot is coming from with Fallout 3. It's disappointing shit, but some people could still enjoy it. Him saying he liked Oblivion tells me only one thing, though.

:troll:

I honestly consider Oblivion one of the worst games I've ever played. There was so little redeeming factors about it that I'm honestly surprised even the average Nexus mouthbreather enjoyed it. It was truly atrocious.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oblivion was still decent with a fuckton of mods provided you ignored many of the quests and NPCs (a couple quest chains were "okay", namely Mages Guild and Dark Brotherhood), but I don't think "needs a fuckton of mods to be playable" is much of a selling point.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are times when I consider giving Skyrim a try to see what a 10+ million-selling Josh-enjoyed RPG is like but my better senses have always won out so far.
I know what you mean, Sawyer has shit taste.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
For all their mediocrity, I like Bioware way more than Bethesda. Bioware may be playing it safe in the mainstream RPG department, but Bethesda can't into outdoor<-->indoor transitions since 1995, their renderers and UI are shit, their world design is inane, and their writing could barely be recognized as English.

While there's a term "programmer art", Bethesda is a shining beacon of the phenomena called "programmer writing".

:2/5:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pre-Decline Bethesda

1353098262.th.94303.jpg

1353098239.th.74863.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

They are terrible games. The only brain that needs to be checked is yours.

Rake

Arcane
For all their mediocrity, I like Bioware way more than Bethesda. Bioware may be playing it safe in the mainstream RPG department, but Bethesda can't into outdoor<-->indoor transitions since 1995, their renderers and UI are shit, their world design is inane, and their writing could barely be recognized as English.

While there's a term "programmer art", Bethesda is a shining beacon of the phenomena called "programmer writing".

They are terrible games. The only brain that needs to be checked is yours.
:bro:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bethesda really makes people rage because you see that their games have great exploration/hiking potential but I don't know the reason they don't fix things like writing, itemization, level scaling and etc. I know they have to please the popamole crowd, I don't expect a Daggerfall from them anymore but for every decision they make , you see that there was a more intelligent alternative of pleasing the popamoles without entirely ruining the game.Just look at the unique items in unmoded Skyrim, Who was the retarded that decided to make all the unique artifacts painfully useless? I don't expect a great storyfag game from them, but just one where the storyline is worth the trouble, at least. I had to avoid any NPC and skiped any dialog I found to actually enjoy Skyrim, shit, just look to Hircine quest to see some of the most inane writing I ever saw on a game. It was a close competition with DA2 Merril's pillow talk to the worst dialog I ever saw. I'm not a writer, but when you play a game where you are 100% sure you could write something better than the people that were paid salaries to do so, something is really wrong. Fallout 3, Vault 101 killed any interest in me to keep exploring that piece of shit, I managed to reach Megaton just because my graphics whore instincts kept me interested but as soon as I got to Megaton. When Moira asked me to step on a mine to study the effects, I really started questioning the sanity of the people that made that bullshit, I couldn't take anymore and rage quit. The fact that this bullshit got a award of best video game writing just make me wish to have access to a few predator drones to hit the houses of a few gamming journalists.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Sanguine's quest is even worse. Whoever wrote that one, most definitely been on crack. Hands down, the most retarded quest in the game (skyrim), IMO.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom