Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda answers questions and calms fears

See, in most cases she would be right. But Bethesda really does flat out lie.

[Slateman] "Yep. To second MSFD, we don't auto-level exactly to your level. We have all sorts of adjustments available. If we didn't the game would be boring "

[MattRyan] "If everything was leveled then you'd have no fear of anything in the game ('I can beat everything!') We plan on scaring the heck out of the player by higher level creatures."

[VSXX] "We have everything from mice to moles to crickets. The most fearsome you have ever seen even! You thought sleeping at night with a singing cricket outside your window was bad. You wait till you meet the one that plays a 14 piece drum set outside your window."

When somebody says "We have feature X", and then it turns out they didn't, well, that's a lie. No shades of grey there. Those are lies.

Amasius

Augur
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Posted this in the wrong Fallout 3 thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Here's someone calling bullshit on Bethesda's marketing ploys at the Elder Scrolls Forums. Guess what happens?
I'm just surprised that the Bethstapo hasn't banned you yet, Mr. Horrigan.

Mr.E

Novice
micmu said:
Surprise - another game built on hype.
Sounds to me like the devs are doing the direct opposite of hyping the game. Consider Oblivion, where a great many quotes can be found extolling the infinite virtues of their once forthcoming game - whereby in the end a great many of these virtues were smashed to smithereens by later bugs or game design decisions. Here, you'd be hard-pressed to find a great deal of quotes about Fallout 3 that aren't veiled in obscurity. They're covering their asses, because they've been burnt once too many already.

Of course, when the gaming media reacts so fervently to any new information given, it must seem like exactly the same thing anyway.

Fez said:
NMA backed out to avoid being blacklisted then?
More like to avoid a hefty lawsuit courtesy of GI. I don't think the NMA is stupid enough to do anything to cause a blacklist, and I don't think Beth is stupid enough to blacklist the #1 stop for Fallout 3 fans for anything short of outright advocacy of piracy, for example. Mind you, I've been very wrong before.

psycojester

Arbiter
I don't think the NMA is stupid enough to do anything to cause a blacklist, and I don't think Beth is stupid enough to blacklist the #1 stop for Fallout 3 fans for anything short of outright advocacy of piracy, for example. Mind you, I've been very wrong before.

Yep you're wrong on this one. Go ask the biggest Star Trek gaming site what they got blacklisted for.

edit:

Ah here we go http://www.startrek-gamers.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2375

Koby

Scholar
Since folks tend to take everything a dev says as absolute truth and fact of what the game will turn out to be.
Well if the devs wont make it sound like it is *in* the game then maybe fans wont take it as an absolute truth.

Then save those posts up and later post them out of context, even knowing some of what they said was true yet later removed from a game with full disclosure...
Yeah... sorry I didn’t receive the telepathic communication from the giant brain. It is my fault really.:roll:

...of that to the fans. And then they use that as evidence of the devs lying, they don't talk anymore about what is in the game, what they are working on or what they think about what they are doing.

Only the fans to blame for this stance.
Hoo, so, now it is completely acceptable to hear from the devs that this or that feature is in the game and if it didn’t make the cut "the fans" aren’t allowed to call BS on the devs for misleading them?

This post only goes to show the line of thought that is prevalent in Bethesda when it comes to PR and their general attitude toward the their fans.

And since they are not going to discuss it, there is really no need for this thread to discuss not discussing it.
Typical.

Mr.E

Novice
Meh. That's not even their game. Besides, who wants to listen to a bunch of Trekkies anyway? :?

In any case, Brother None confirmed that Beth never did threaten action against NMA. I know of their past foibles, and I doubt they'll want to add flames to the fire this time around by repeating such mistakes.

aries202

Erudite
Bradylama said:
Not for Game Informer. :D

I actually think that Game Informer will selll a lot more copies thanks to the scans at NMA. There is a difference reading text on a website (which you can barely just read anyway, the text, not the website ;) ) - and browsing through a magazine you actually is able to hold in your, perusing through its pages - at your (own) leisure.

I don't live in the US, so the only way I could get to see the article was the NMA way.
I think that is why both and Game Informer 'tolerated' the scans....

One thing I really don't understand....why all the fuss over scans on the internet if a typical American can just walk into a convenience store, pick up the magazine, read the article, and put it down all without ever having paid for it?

Is that "copyright infringement" as well? I mean it's "unauthorized use of the material"....

I really hate American copyright law.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Posted this in the wrong Fallout 3 thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Here's someone calling bullshit on Bethesda's marketing ploys at the Elder Scrolls Forums. Guess what happens?

Wow. Just wow. This nazi bullshit makes me even more mad than Beth raping FO.

So is there going to be some organized spamming on Beth's forums, or not? Perhaps we could start such topics a few hundred times, just to make sure everyone gets to read them.

4too

Arcane
GI No Show In Columbus Ohio!

GI No Show In Columbus Ohio!

Drama One-Oh- One:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36968
NMA said they would pull scans if the holder of the copy write - GI -requested.
GI said ""... please .... legal action ... promptly ... "".
NMA dropped the 'fair use' fig leaf, and scans be gone!

Drama Two-By-2:
Secton8:
... So in other words, if we want Fallout 3 info, we have to buy magazines. ...

Driving home from "the day job",
[for my true vocation is honing my communication skillz at teh Codex]
stopped at a large chain bookstore, a super market, independent store front --- 'zine emporium.

July issues of PC Gamer, EGM. the former CGM or was it CGW , and more, all present ...

No GI.

Indie said the local distributer was ''always a problem''.

My part of town can't support an auto parts store, but it can prop up an EB Games.
Recalled my super market bargains in the truck bed, included frozen chicken parts.... pumped full of that vital supplement salmonella ...
so home I drove.

No GI.

Rather go to Micro Center because real men know the REAL GAME is keeping from f-disking that Windows PC after the latest dysfunctional "security' update.

Micro Center has Mac's too.

Anticipate the road trip in 8 eastern daylight savings time hours, allowing for a de-facto week end time attenuation of plus-minus 2.

Then go -go- GI, lub yoo long time!

One could take this withholding of vended copy written material as another proof of the ailing free market.
No, our simple daily paranoia does not apply.
This is more than a late delivery truck.
Consider this with holding of information, no GI in Ohio, no BS clarification of VATS at their site or on tablets of stone by a burning bush,
consider this as

group punishment.

And until the world honors it's codependent relationship with Bethesda-Zenimax
and it's duly anointed hired scribblers,
Start bereaving, ... believing, in BS , ninja fairies, and big titled ... titted elfin babes, and the never ending sand box sagas of action satisfaction rPG-s! World with out end a-men.

The group punishment continues until the morale improves!

4too

Bradylama

Arcane
aries202 said:
(which you can barely just read anyway, the text, not the website ;) )

If somebody can't read that text they're fucking blind. One page cuts off a row of words, but it's just a paragraph's worth of junk. Not something that would force anybody to run out and BUY AN ISSUE OMIGORD

Ander Vinz

Scholar
sqeecoo said:
So is there going to be some organized spamming on Beth's forums, or not? Perhaps we could start such topics a few hundred times, just to make sure everyone gets to read them.
Why bother? We can punish them by not giving bucks.

edit: Oh, and on the topic: this time BS has really crappy marketing.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
Nowadays the behaviour of the gaming companies is more entertaining than the games themselve and it's for free.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
psycojester said:
I don't think the NMA is stupid enough to do anything to cause a blacklist, and I don't think Beth is stupid enough to blacklist the #1 stop for Fallout 3 fans for anything short of outright advocacy of piracy, for example. Mind you, I've been very wrong before.

Yep you're wrong on this one. Go ask the biggest Star Trek gaming site what they got blacklisted for.

Indeed, NMA isn't planning on backing up on anything on the threat of blacklisting. We don't respond well to threats, just ask the Something Awful people. If Bethesda decides at some point they're tired of it and start making threats...well, fuck 'em.

Commissioner

Novice
Dear me; Bethesa are perpetrating their very own P.R. disaster. Well, at least they’re creative at doing that.

aries202

Erudite
I don't know what bethesda and game informer were thinking when they told nma to remove the scans?

Surely, they have to know that nothing really dispapears from the 'net?? today?? And the scans by now is all over the internet??

However, I still stand by my initial post in this thread that if NMA didn't have the scans, I wouldn't be able to read the article in Game Informer, which apparently only is released in (certain cities?) the US.

Why Bethsoft & Game Informer did this instead of inviting CVG or Gamespot or IGN to the press event, I don't know...

I still think that Zenimax Media could learn a lot PR wise from game companies like Bioware and Piranha Bytes.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Brother None said:
psycojester said:

Indeed, NMA isn't planning on backing up on anything on the threat of blacklisting. We don't respond well to threats, just ask the Something Awful people. If Bethesda decides at some point they're tired of it and start making threats...well, fuck 'em.

When did Something Awful threaten you guys?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom