Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... &start=120

were you completely happy with Oblivion?
I've certainly spent a lot of time playing it outside of work. It's a really fun game-- I think certain hardcore RPGers tend to lose sight of the overall achievement that it represents because it violates some tenet or other of what they consider RPGs must be. Personally, I'm tired of hearing people squabble about that kind of nonsense--over all these silly, limiting acronyms we've come up with to pigeonhole our games. A game's a game, and some are different from others, and we should enjoy them for what they successfully accomplish, not for what they don't attempt.

By that metric, there are certainly some things about Oblivion that could use improvement, but overall I'm incredibly happy to have my name on it. And I have spent quite a lot of time playing it outside work, trying out different characters.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
@Kingston:

Yeah, we should just clump every game into a single category because they are all just games. It's not like games have genres to let you know what its gameplay is. :roll:

MacBone

Scholar
A game's a game, and some are different from others. . .

That's the most profound statement I've read or heard all day (and I spent the better part of the day listening to the Smack-Off).

Dark Helmet

Novice
WHY cant Fallout 3 utilise the 1st person perspective and realtime combat (if thats what its even going to use anyway) and still be a good RPG? Thats been my basic point all along....why does it have to only be p&p/isometric...whatever? Can you answer that without quoting and saying the opposite of what ive written without saying something along the lines of "because it wont be Fallout" or "Fallout is nothing without p&p rules"?

Something along these lines happened with Oblivion. The massive amounts of posts like: "It's not as good as Morrowind/Daggerfall etc. because blah, blah, blah." Stop living in the past and looking through rose-tinted glasses, things change. Fallout 3 is not being developed by the same people as F1&2 was.

Im expressing my opinions and im sticking by them coz its what i think on this issue. As for Zelda not being an RPG, of course it is. Who are you to say what is and what isnt an RPG?

:?

Texas Red

Whiner
Suicidal said:
As for Zelda not being an RPG, of course it is. Who are you to say what is and what isnt an RPG?

Oh my, how sad.

The retard crowds of Gamespot and such are in the opinion that everything is an RPG because in every game, regardless of genre, you play a role.

Surgey

Scholar
"RPG" is a subjective term, but some games are just plain not RPG's, ala Zelda. RPG elements, sure I suppose, but not an RPG. If Zelda is an RPG, Secret of Monkey Island is, too.

Suicidal

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
Suicidal said:
As for Zelda not being an RPG, of course it is. Who are you to say what is and what isnt an RPG?

Oh my, how sad.

The retard crowds of Gamespot and such are in the opinion that everything is an RPG because in every game, regardless of genre, you play a role.

I know, that's why it's sad.

Top Hat

Scholar
http://au.gamespot.com/pages/features/developerseries/index.php?tag=topslot;title;4

What I'd really like to see is an 3D Action-Adventure interpretation of Ultima V: Quest for the Avatar. Think "Neverwinter Nights meets God of War".
In particular, your most lethal nemesis should be an assassin named Rainz who is capable of summoning up a great field of fire.

No.

No.

No no no no no.

Oh yeah, there's an interview with Richard Garriott, which is how I found this "gem" in the first place.

And also, no.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... &p=9981488

What's your favorite thing about Oblivion (besides your paycheck! ;-))

I enjoy the freedom of Oblivion. It's something that I enjoyed about the Elder Scrolls since I first popped in the discs for Arena. From the top down, the games have always tried to place as few restrictions as possible on the player. Don't like this quest? Do another. Don't like the damage on that sword? Change it.

You change your weapon if you don't like it. Awesome.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingston said:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=692451&view=findpost&p=9981488

What's your favorite thing about Oblivion (besides your paycheck! ;-))

I enjoy the freedom of Oblivion. It's something that I enjoyed about the Elder Scrolls since I first popped in the discs for Arena. From the top down, the games have always tried to place as few restrictions as possible on the player. Don't like this quest? Do another. Don't like the damage on that sword? Change it.

You change your weapon if you don't like it. Awesome.

What the fuck is that man's understanding of choice and consequence?

"LOLZ I EQWIP SOHRD +1 DAMAGG AHND I MADE MORE DAMITSH THEN I DID WIT OTEHR SOWRD!!!11!1!"

Top Hat

Scholar
I'm bored, and Peter Andre was on the radio. Instead of bludgeoning myself to death, I decided to rewrite "Mysterious Girl".

Suffer for my boredom, losers:

"Oblivion Girl"

Baby girl, boy your U.I.'s made for the blind.
Toddy Howard along with Petey Hines on de mic.

I stop and stare at you,
Looking at the walls.
I try to talk to you,
But then my PC stalls.
Fighting in the Arena...
There's a mudcrab! Man!
Horrible creatures I a-
Void them when I can.

No doubt you look so fine,
Girl your face really does shine.
Emperor Septim has got nothing on you.
It's true this game's not hard
With Captain Jean Luc Picard
Eating the budget from the gameplay that I love.
Baby girl... be the one from MY dreams.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Wanna level scale with you.
Oh, oh, oh, oh ,oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Point your compass over mine.

Girl, Todd Howard's such a liar,
Since your magic won't set de dogs on fire
When you're mad.
Girl, Todd Howard's such a liar,
And that Pete Hines... lies too.

Riding a horse is fun
Until monsters come in.
To talk, press the space bar
And now I'm zooming in.
'Cause I'm focusing on the wheel,
Boasting, coercing.
And, girl, when you reply
To my "Rumours", I want to sing.

Girl I'd show you my long spear,
But it's not allowed around here
Unless somebody puts one in with a mod.
Bethesda says "That is fine,
Can't send us five ninety nine?
Fine. Then pay with your blood!" For the love of God,
Baby girl... still no bug patch release!

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Wanna level scale with you
(At your level my baby)
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Point your compass over mine

Well I'm clicking in the menu, saving my game
But I'm not prompted to type in a new name
Told Bethesda that that was totally lame
But they just ban all those who think the same

Your pretty looks surround me with HDR or Bloom
And I love the way you look wandering around in a tomb
It's just too bad your story is as bad as "DOOM:
Repercussions of Evil", as short as "LOOM".

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Wanna level scale with you
(At your level my baby)
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oblivion girl
Point your compass over mine

Top Hat

Scholar
You're harming my reputation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom