Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Codexians, what is Arx Fatalis and should i play it? You guys seem to praise it a lot, and i know you guys have good taste.

It's sort of like Ultima Underworld, and yes, you should play it because it's great. You'll also love it as a Thief fan.

Just remember to apply all possible patches because vanilla is bugged to hell and back.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It's a lot more stable, yes. I can't play Arx without it now seeing as it improves stability and compatibility a ton.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Found this little tidbit in an old Ken Levine interview that confirms what we all know: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132471/ken_levine_on_studio_culture_from_.php

And I think it's not an accident. You look at the great developers now? Of console games? Bungie, and Lionhead. You look at BioWare; you look at Bethesda; and where do they all come from? They come from the PC side. Valve? They come from the PC side.

Because, I think the PC developers, working in the space they worked in, they were probably in a lot of ways -- not all of them, I mean, Shigeru Miyamoto, clearly, I think, is probably the most innovative person who ever lived, in the gaming space -- but, more innovative, pound for pound, than their console counterparts.

And then when they came over to the console side, they brought a lot of, I think, what made PC games great, in terms of, "Hey! This is your game, not our game! This is the user's game! This is the game for you! You want music on or off? You want to skip cutscenes? You want to play different difficulty levels? You want to have different modes that let you replay the game differently?" All of those things that came from the PC side are very much in the DIY part of playing a PC game, we brought over to the console side.

Also, I think, the maturity of some of the experiences. You know, you had things like Thief; you had things like Planescape: Torment; you had things like Half-Life on the PC side, which I think were more sophisticated narrative scene-wise, than on console counterparts at the time. All of that maturity came over, was brought over from the PC side. Now it's the console side, and most of my favorite console developers came from the PC world.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it has less to do with PC developers being more innovative and more to do with consoles trying their hardest to become PCs, making all these PC developers more comfortable developing for consoles. And before most people even realized with was happening, console games became PC games on limited hardware with no mod support, clunky interfaces, limited control options, and built-in DRM.

Also, console games back in the 80s and before didn't have much in the way of stories. If the game had a story it'd be explained in the instruction book, and maybe you'd get a few lines of dialog in the game itself. Stories in games are very much a PC gaming concept.

Brinko

Arcane
Speaking of Levine
Imgirfv.jpg

:hmmm:

And I think it's not an accident. You look at the great developers now? Of console games? Bungie, and Lionhead. You look at BioWare; you look at Bethesda; and where do they all come from? They come from the PC side. Valve? They come from the PC side. {...}

Lol, Levine. I can't believe this yidyit had a hand in so many excellent games, yet is such a complete putz.

"PC DEVS R MOAR INNOVATE! DURR HURR! HALF LIFE BUNGIE MOLYNEUX!!!! HURF DERF!!!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You want music on or off? You want to skip cutscenes? You want to play different difficulty levels? You want to have different modes that let you replay the game differently?" All of those things that came from the PC side are very much in the DIY part of playing a PC game, we brought over to the console side.
What a ridiculously ignorant thing to say. I remember playing console games in the 80s and early 90s with those kinds of options.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Everything is shit (for Comcast subscribers)
Fucking first worlders... limited internet is the standard here in third-worldia. I live on a 80Gb limit that cost me A LOT.

I DREAM OF 300GB LIMITS! :cry:

(but Comcast is right, the average bandwidth usage is very small. Even I rarely get close to my 80GB)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And I think it's not an accident. You look at the great developers now? Of console games? Bungie, and Lionhead. You look at BioWare; you look at Bethesda; and where do they all come from? They come from the PC side. Valve? They come from the PC side. {...}

Lol, Levine. I can't believe this yidyit had a hand in so many excellent games, yet is such a complete putz.

"PC DEVS R MOAR INNOVATE! DURR HURR! HALF LIFE BUNGIE MOLYNEUX!!!! HURF DERF!!!"

Hey, what he's basically saying is that Western developers have taken over the formerly Japanese-dominated console games industry.

Ken Levine: WHITE NATIONALIST!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Fucking first worlders... limited internet is the standard here in third-worldia. I live on a 80Gb limit that cost me A LOT.

I DREAM OF 300GB LIMITS! :cry:

(but Comcast is right, the average bandwidth usage is very small. Even I rarely get close to my 80GB)

And wouldn't that be more reason not to put those limits then?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Bandwidth caps are going to go away on their own (at least in the states) as consumers put pressure on ISPs to get rid of them. Average usage is only going to go up as more and more people start using all the modern services the internet offers - streaming movies, TV, music, and games. My parents, who are in their 60s, don't even have a TV provider anymore because they can watch everything they want to online. I worked for an ISP with very low bandwidth caps and I looked at cases where people would use up 60+ gigs in 2 days before the system caught up and throttled them. Customers won't tolerate that sort of thing for long; they don't care about the technology, they just want to be able to watch their netflix.

So I'm not all that worried about bandwidth caps. As the internet continues to grow ISPs will be forced to either remove caps (and expand their infrastructure to handle the load) or be left behind by the companies that do.

Speaking of Levine
Imgirfv.jpg

:hmmm:
I don't understand how anyone could take anything Ken Levine has to say seriously. The man is clearly an idiot.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If there's only like 1-5% that goes over 300GB and gives the companies trouble, this limit would either make them stop using so much, or (in suits dreams) make them pay up a lot of money in micro-transactions. Meanwhile, the 300Gb is generous enough that regulars won't really give a fuck.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
And that's exactly what they want you to think, at the next chance they'll keep trying to cut it a bit more, first they came for the communists... Here they did something similar, limiting it at first and halving it the next time. I don't consume 300gb a month either (or maybe I do, I dunno) but I wouldn't accept something like that either.

Duraframe300

Arcane
look at all that autism

In an astounding turn of events, Levine reveals his game about multiple universes and ruined timelines wasn't the result of detailed physics research. Millions outraged

Yes.

Complaining about physics (in this case) is stupid. It's fiction, so it can freely make up its own shit.

The problem is that it actually HAS to work in itself. Which Infinite doesn't really do a good job of.

Anyway, while I like the game I find it funny how its plot doesn't really seem to get the meaning of its own title *infinite*.

Dexter

Arcane
If there's only like 1-5% that goes over 300GB and gives the companies trouble, this limit would either make them stop using so much, or (in suits dreams) make them pay up a lot of money in micro-transactions. Meanwhile, the 300Gb is generous enough that regulars won't really give a fuck.
LOL, data traffic doesn't cost Tier1 telecommunication providers shit, only the infrastructure which is usually a one time thing and costs a fraction of what people usually pay for Internet to upgrade.
Nothing transferred within their own Net costs them anything and if they are big enough not to have to pay any kind of Transit (ComCast for instance certainly should be, as should AT&T and similar) then there are usually Peering-contracts between the big Telecom providers that nullifies Transit costs. If anything only the small ones have to pay to them.

The biggest telecommunucation company in my country tried to introduce traffic costs with stupid rationales like "Internet pipes are too full" and "traffic is so large nowadays that it overloads our backbones" when there's obvious proof that those Backbones peak at ~1.5TBit/s and they're designed to tolerate up to 40TBit/s. Suffice to say that they got royally fucked by both customers, media and even politicians. The CEO found another job and they quickly revised all their plans and claimed that wasn't what they meant at all.

Also big LOL at traffic limits in an age of 4K video Streaming, Online Distribution & Co.

Hey, what he's basically saying is that Western developers have taken over the formerly Japanese-dominated console games industry.

Ken Levine: WHITE NATIONALIST!

Lol, nice.

What really bothers me is how someone like Levine, in speaking on innovation, can ignore more than half of the industry, make ill-chosen namedrops, and then be taken seriously by most people when he's clearing phoning it in.

If he wanted to make the argument that PC dev-houses are the main driving force behind, uh, "revolutionary innovations" and then listed examples like Wizardry/Ultima/UUnderworld/Doom/Thief/etc I could dig it. But his statement, as is, relies on some glaring ignorance about the recent gaming market. I like Bungie, but nothing they've done on consoles is really "innovative" besides maybe being one of the earlier adopters of double-analog shooter controls (in their port of Oni to PS2).

Basically, I AM VERY ANGRY ABOUT VIDYA GAEM MAKER OPINIONS!!!111

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Comcast's cap isn't a hard limit. I have comcast and have been over that amount a few times in the past 2 years, they haven't bothered me about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom