Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Andyman Messiah said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Considering Yahtzee recently outed himself as someone who doesn't understand the basics of drinking water as opposed to drinking not water I hope you'll forgive me if I don't give a fuck.
What? Where?
Review for New Vegas. He decided to test out hardcore mode, drinks soda and is genuinly surprised and angered by the fact that it doesn't, in fact, quench his thirst.

Haven't played the game, but I am curious: why doesn't it quench thirst in the game? Just a developer oversight/lack of expanded mechanics ?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Excommunicator said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Considering Yahtzee recently outed himself as someone who doesn't understand the basics of drinking water as opposed to drinking not water I hope you'll forgive me if I don't give a fuck.
What? Where?
Review for New Vegas. He decided to test out hardcore mode, drinks soda and is genuinly surprised and angered by the fact that it doesn't, in fact, quench his thirst.

Haven't played the game, but I am curious: why doesn't it quench thirst in the game? Just a developer oversight/lack of expanded mechanics ?

Because whoever designed the mechanics wasn't very clever and actually thinks that all drinks apart from water literally dehydrate you to the point where you'll die after a week if that's all you drink.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Andyman Messiah said:
edit: Also, Origins was expensive to make? Someone get me some numbers.
It was in development since 2004. Check the long list in the credits and add up five years worth of wages and salaries plus all the voice actors and so on.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Admiral jimbob said:
Because whoever designed the mechanics wasn't very clever and actually thinks that all drinks apart from water literally dehydrate you to the point where you'll die after a week if that's all you drink.
Well, first of all it's a video game so it's really about over-exaggerating things. You may not die if you drink nothing but sugar out in the desert but it's absolutely not healthy in any way. Sugar makes you more thirsty because sugar is something your body has to spend a lot of resources on to digest properly.

Roguey said:
It was in development since 2004. Check the long list in the credits and add up five years worth of wages and salaries plus all the voice actors and so on.
Huh, I seriously did not know that. Six years and Origins was what they came up with? Wow.

DraQ

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Well, first of all it's a video game so it's really about over-exaggerating things.
The key to understanding the :decline: .

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Admiral jimbob said:
I can't even tell when you're being sarcastic anymore :?

Excommunicator said:
Oh for fuck's sake. Why did I look at it
Codex lesson #3: never, EVER clock a Racofer link unless you're prepared to face the consequences. There's a reason he didn't hotlink it.

Live and learn ;)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DraQ said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Well, first of all it's a video game so it's really about over-exaggerating things.
Actually it's just the key to understanding what games are all about.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Why? It is pretty retarded. Soft drinks may not be very effective at quenching thirst but they do provide water and there are people who drink them pretty much exclusively and don't die of dehydration.

Horsie said:
Actually it's just the key to understanding what games are all about.
The games are... about the decline.
:retarded:
Suddenly all makes sense.
:(

:x NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DraQ said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Admiral jimbob said:

There are also people that make a living out of killing other people and they don't become killing machines like RPG characters.

lol, videogames

Admiral jimbob said:

Apart from what Andyman mentioned, it's also cool in that it makes water more valuable - otherwise Nuka-Colas would be clearly superior and you'd just pile up on them.

Nuka-Cola

+2 HP (20s), +10 H20, -15 Sleep, +3 Radiation, +1 Bottle cap

Purified water

+2 HP (5s), -50 H20

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
DraQ said:
Sceptic said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Why? It is pretty retarded. Soft drinks may not be very effective at quenching thirst but they do provide water and there are people who drink them pretty much exclusively and don't die of dehydration.
Um, how many of those people are wandering around in the desert 24/7?

DraQ

Arcane
Mangoose said:
DraQ said:
Sceptic said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Um, how many of those people are wandering around in the desert 24/7?
It should still delay their deaths, I guess.

The solution would be making nuka cola lousy source of water, not negative one.

Monocause

Arcane
At one time during my FO:NV playtime I've decided to refrain from drinking the drinks (nuca-cola, sunset sarsaparilla) altogether and suddenly everything made much more sense. Stimpaks started to be much more valuable, as did water, foodstuffs and survival skills.

Seems to me that either they forgot to remove the healing effect of these drinks on the hardcore mode or made them cause healing as an afterthought when someone baww'd that he runs out of stimpaks too quickly. Really, the game is much more balanced in this aspect if you do not use these drinks.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
It should still delay their deaths, I guess.
Diuretics? In the desert? :M

(I'm genuinely curious now actually. I know some people who drink insane amounts of soft drinks and little water, and technically they should be dehydrating, unless they get their actual water from elsewhere)

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
(I'm genuinely curious now actually. I know some people who drink insane amounts of soft drinks and little water, and technically they should be dehydrating, unless they get their actual water from elsewhere)
Presumably not from hamburgers, nor crisps. This kind of people also don't seem to eat anything that would actually help them replenish the water, so I guess an organism can just adapt.

Now, trying to use alcoholic drinks for rehydration would be a pretty bad idea.
:smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was always of the impression that the nuka cola and sunset sasaparilla just had too much sugar in them so they actually have a negative effect on player's water level.

Kinda like Sprite, whenever I drink that I just feel more thirsty afterward because it tastes so fucking sweet.

Secretninja

Cipher
I was glad I was taking a dump when I read that list of 11/12 reasons rpgs are great, so I could rub shit in my eyes and stop.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
CD-Action newsletter about Dragon Age 2 having only 3 classes. Comments:

Darth Roxor said:
Wowowowow, three classes and one race, that's some deep RPG experience right there

Biowhore1 said:
Wait, is there something I don't know? I thought you could also play a human in Baldur's Gate.

Biowhore2 said:
What's your problem? You can also change your gender and character look!

Biowhore3 said:
What?! There's no *redundantly stupid class name* in the game? What is this shit! I'm gonna start BG (which has better graphics, combat, story, dynamics) now and I'm gonna have 100x better time with it than the supershallow Dragon Shit2!

Biowhore4 said:
Oh yeah? Then I guess you also think the works of Piranha Bytes suck? And Kotor? And Planescape? After all, they all have a forced main character and probably are completely awful because of that?

:M

anus_pounder

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
racofer said:
Jools said:
BlaineMono said:
In the unrelated news I've just shown this video to my wife and it looks like we're having a divorce =(

I can't see it. There is this massive in-site pop-up covering it. Grrr.

Comrade Racofer to the rescue!

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/68898-4/Broken_glass_rectum_efukt.gif

Oh for fuck's sake. Why did I look at it

You clicked a racofer link with the words 'Broken glass rectum' in them ? :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom