Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

lolwut

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks to me that the only reason they're covering this issue to begin with is because it shines a negative spotlight on themselves.

Framerates ARE an issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's an issue that they haven't given two shits about, either by demand from their owners or because of their own ignorance.

As for the list itself? I love it, I wish there were more lists like it. One list for shoddy console ports, another for games that don't allow for customizable controls, etc.

darthaegis

Cipher
So they're basically arguing that it's wrong to put stuff like BG:EE because 60fps screws it up when it's a purely objective list.
wut

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Wouldn't it then only be a matter of time that curation lists would be defanged like the custom tag system?

Depends. The tag system was abused at times for the lulz. From what I can tell, the Curator system is used for lobbyism of certain things, by certain groups. Defanging the Curator system will only be looked upon as censorship, while the tags was merely an improperly executed idea.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I was leafing through the manual for Syndicate (1993) and noticed a section at the back that describes the other Syndicates in the game. Even though they all act the same, someone took the time to do write-ups for all of them.

North America is controlled by the IIA (Independent Intelligence Agency) whom decided to go freelance on the open market.
South and Centreal America is controlled by The Castrilos and can trace their origins to Castro's revolution of Cuba. They like to extort the world for money by threatening to burn down the Amazon rainforest...or what's left of it, anyway.
Asia is controlled by the The Tao, which emerged from the corporate merger of the Triad and the Yakuza. Their reach is from the China Sea over to the Russian steppes, making them the largest Syndicate in the world.
Africa, the Middle East and the Mediterranean are controlled by Sphinx Inc, with its origins in Egypt and religious zeal.
Executive Jihad is the smallest Syndicate around, and no specific area is named to be under their control. Their tech may not be the best and their numbers may be low, but you ignore them at your own risk.
(Here's where things get hilarious.)
Australasia is controlled by the Tasmanian Liberation Consortium. I'll just quote the manual on this one:

When they exported criminals to Australia in the 1800s, the Brits couldn't know what they'd started. Crime was a genetic certainty, and Australian youths were taught the finer points of maiming and slaughter at their mother’s breasts. Unfortunately, a lifetime spent intoxicated meant that Australian criminals didn’t succeed as well as their international rivals. The Tao easily established a foothold in Australasia and a lifetime of saki and sushi looked imminent. Then, in the Great Lager Rebellion of 2140, there was an uprising led by the Tasmanian Liberation Consortium. From their hydro-electric power-generating island base they cut off the electricity to the mainland, stunning Tao executives who could no longer operate their game consoles. They surged across the Bass Strait like beer from a barrel and drove the Tao from Australia to re-established the Barby as the Australian national pastime.

With a fortune made from exporting weak, fizzy lager worldwide to spend on Research, the TLC gained influence and were soon second only to the Tao itself as a world power. Their agents tend to be wayward in their aim, mainly because their executive controllers are always drunk, so civilian casualties are high. But TLC agents have no real sadistic streak, and only turn nasty when denied access to Vegemite.

Finally, Europe is controlled by Eurocorp, the Syndicate that the player is to lead to world domination. Here's their text, with the underlined part what made me laugh:

By 2100 the European Community was suffering internal breakdown. The novel idea of compartmentalizing European affairs – with Belgium responsible for entertainment, Italy for defense, and Britain the continent’s cuisine – was a nightmare scenario and trouble was inevitable. Centuries-old national rivalries could not be put aside and the Germans were (to use the diplomatic language of the time) ‘putting down their beach towels’ on every sun lounger in Europe. In this atmosphere of mutual distrust and aggression the CHIP was perfected. It kept the populous occupied while, in the background, competing governments fell to corporate interests and the Syndicates moved in. When the dust had settled only EuroCorp remained. But EuroCorp’s monopoly of world CHIP production couldn’t last forever, and soon the executive was defending itself from rival Syndicate interests on all fronts.

Isn't this pretty much what every other Polandball comic is about, the "seashore-anschlüss"?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think the curator system's pretty harmless for the most part. Only really wish they added the option to ignore or block certain curators.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Well, curator system so far has been e-celebs listing games, but if for example Codex curated list of "banalshitboring decline" or the like gain traction, then I'm pretty sure that Steam would change curator TOS to prohibit "malicious" lists.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well, curator system so far has been e-celebs listing games, but if for example Codex curated list of "banalshitboring decline" or the like gain traction, then I'm pretty sure that Steam would change curator TOS to prohibit "malicious" lists.

That would probably depend on their metrics. If even those lists lead to increased sales, they wouldn't care.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Even if that did come to pass I don't really see Valve doing anything drastic to limit it. So long as they keep relatively civil about it (i.e. not accusing, say, Todd Howard of being a sheep rapist), I can't see negative reviews being construed in any reasonable way as being malicious. I'd think the negative PR alone from pulling something like that would stop Valve from seriously considering it.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Even if that did come to pass I don't really see Valve doing anything drastic to limit it. So long as they keep relatively civil about it (i.e. not accusing, say, Todd Howard of being a sheep rapist), I don't really see negative reviews being construed in any reasonable way as being malicious. I'd think the negative PR alone from pulling something like that would stop Valve from seriously considering it.

They don't care about negative reviews / curator lists as long as it doesn't affect the platform as a whole. Like when they added a "funny" category to the reviews to deal with the joke reviews which went against their intentions with reviews.

I wish you could ignore Curator lists though, I hate that they shove RPS with their pretentious und unfunny "PC gaming since 18hundredsomething" in my face every day.

Riskbreaker

I wish you could ignore Curator lists though, I hate that they shove RPS with their pretentious und unfunny "PC gaming since 18hundredsomething" in my face every day.
Yeah, weird that something as basic as an option to ignore specific curator is missing.
While we're at it, I also hate how it's still impossible to block news from specific sources (like say RPS, or PC Gamer, or Kotaku) from appearing on game's library page.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
h00267BB9

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Don't be dissin Capt. Lou Albano!

Sheesh...Roddy Piper just died! Have some respect!

Have a Banana Snuka! (best Piper's Pit ever!) (I remember watching this "live"..or whatever "live" was back in the day.

Best of Capt. Lou.

Zep--

darthaegis

Cipher
http://www.pcgamer.com/why-biowares-games-inspire-a-unique-kind-of-fandom/
Why Bioware games inspire a unique fandom:
Somewhere between finishing Mass Effect 3 for the first time in June 2014 and now, something happened to me. If it didn’t sound so sinister, I would describe it as akin to an indoctrination; suddenly, almost so quickly it barely registered, I had the Spectre logo permanently inked on my body. I was writing chapters for gaming books about BioWare. I was appearing on Dragon Age podcasts. The majority of my online friends spent their time tweeting about the in-game romances they were having. I was rooming at Emerald City Comicon with a girl I’d met through Instagram by searching #MassEffectTattoos.

I had become, as so much of the fandom self-identifies, 100% BioWare trash.
I’ve felt particularly enthralled by the way their games pay special attention to deep female friendships, something often ignored in most games (a consequence of featuring only token female characters).
With Dragon Age: Inquisition (BioWare’s most successful launch ever), the game featured gender-neutral box art; developers ensured gender balance in background characters; a major supporting character is a trans person; when you stand around the War Table as a female Inquisitor, making big, game-changing decisions, you stand with three other women and only one man. And, of course, there’s the variety of romance options available to any player, allowing you to enter into relationships with characters from every corner of the LGBTQ+ spectrum.
“The more recent crop of romances makes BioWare games resonate with me like nothing else,” said Becky Chambers, author of the upcoming book The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and my fangirl mentor in the world of Mass Effect (she was the first to tell me that this intense obsession I was feeling was completely normal). “Shepard and Liara’s relationship was, honest to God, the first time I'd ever seen SF/F with a fully-fledged, trilogy-spanning love story between two women. That meant the world to me, because it's so incredibly rare elsewhere.”
haha

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I wish I had bought a fleshlight instead of Warlords expansion :<

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom