Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best of the New Shit?

I'll never get a butthurt about PoE, probably just like I don't get why do people are so angry at WL2.

I feel like people had overblown expectations with this title. I've stopped playing it during act 3 because it was 100% boredom but the game itself is not as bad as some people say.

The same goes for WL2. It has some annoying parts and is clunky as fuck but the other parts are good.
They both have overall high approval on the codex, hard to tell with PoE nowadays though, never read anything but negativity.
I really don't see anywhere near as much casual hate for Wasteland 2, generally only a handful of butthurt retards who have it out for it. The retard ITT that said not to bother with it has most of their posts in the Bethesda forum, for example.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny how W2 has some critics but overall since it was a sequel to a 30 year old game it didnt have much to messure against, but PoE had to measure up to the IE games and your perception of it basicaly was split between your enjoyment the game by itself in spite of the IE games or because of them
I felt kind of cheated at first with PoE because it wasnt an IE game but then I appreciated for what it was rather what it wasnt and ended up enjoying it, albeit not as much as W2 but still

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
if you liked the Infinity Engine games, chances are you won't like PoE.
More like "if you're not prejudiced against RTwP, chances are you'll like PoE." Especially if you look at the current competition (DA:I and SCL) which is pure toxic waste. PoE isn't perfect but it's very solid by today's standards. It's just some people apparently expected Obsidian to make a "BG2 meets PS:T" game in 2.5 years on a KS budget.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest, I personally expected a faithful imitation of IE combat. Instead, I got "the fanciest and balancest RtwP in the history of the solar system" which ends up being markedly inferior to IE combat.

The specifics on why combat in PoE sucks have been discussed many times, I recommend this thread for a summed up version: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/percentages-vs-plusses-discuss.100891/

And on a sidenote, being better than DA:I and SCL for realtime combat is hardly an achievement in and of itself.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They both have overall high approval on the codex, hard to tell with PoE nowadays though, never read anything but negativity.
I really don't see anywhere near as much casual hate for Wasteland 2, generally only a handful of butthurt retards who have it out for it. The retard ITT that said not to bother with it has most of their posts in the Bethesda forum, for example.

What a faggot. This guy spends his time watching Fallout: 4's development, and he wants to talk shit about me!? I thought spending time in the Bethesda forum was bad...

There's a barter skill bobblehead in one of the demo videos, and the bobblehead stand itself has room for all the skills and SPECIAL.

So much for decline and hating Bethesda, huh? This is just too much. Exposing you motherfuckers is just too easy. This guy is going to buy Fallout: 4 day one. :lol:

What a faggot. This guy spends his time watching Fallout: 4's development, and he wants to talk shit about me!? I thought spending time in the Bethesda forum was bad...
A small percentage of my posts are in decline threads, well within the realms of the accepted amount of hypocrisy for your average codexer. You? That's literally all you've done, outside of crying about Wasteland 2 and being a general shitposter. I was merely pointing out that the handful of retards that hate on Wasteland 2 tend to really have it out for the game, and aren't representative of the Codex.

Anyway, you should have looked a page or two further, you would find that my response to your comment was already written.
So much for decline and hating Bethesda, huh? This is just too much. Exposing you motherfuckers is just too easy. This guy is going to buy Fallout: 4 day one. :lol:
You guys project too much, not everyone's a complete decline faggot that only pretends they think these games are bad.
It's just your dunning-kruger effect, you think that because you secretly enjoy consuming shit that everyone must.

To be honest, I personally expected a faithful imitation of IE combat. Instead, I got "the fanciest and balancest RtwP in the history of the solar system" .
For me it was less about the balance, and more about how little impact your stats/builds have on the game. Balance is not a negative, least of all if balance is removing absolutely useless dead end options. But if your idea of balance is making it so every stat point contributes +1% to attack speed or evasion(etc) then the fact that multiple builds are viable isn't really attractive, since the various builds will hardly be playing differently.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
Funny how W2 has some critics but overall since it was a sequel to a 30 year old game it didnt have much to messure against, but PoE had to measure up to the IE games and your perception of it basicaly was split between your enjoyment the game by itself in spite of the IE games or because of them
I felt kind of cheated at first with PoE because it wasnt an IE game but then I appreciated for what it was rather what it wasnt and ended up enjoying it, albeit not as much as W2 but still

Word. Having never played the original Wasteland and thinking the second one looked quite ugly and clunky in the previews, I was pleasantly surprised. Finished it in a week or so and despite it's combat being kinda shitty it was enjoyable imho. Being a huge fan of the IE games and having played the shit out of all of them, I was however thoroughly disappointed with PoE. It's not a bad game per-se, like you I stopped playing halfway because it was rather dull but it's not the worst game ever made like some people here claim. But I'm just a poppamole bethestard who probably will be able to enjoy his Fallout 4 ISO for what it's worth so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You know I really never understood the whole love affair of the Codex with the Interplay Fallouts and their supposed dislike for the Bethesda ones, I guess I dont care enough for the franchise to cut my veins open with Fallout 3 or sing the praises of New Vegas So maybe that helped my enjoyment of Wasteland 2 since I judged it as a separate product and wasnt expecting s squad based fallout
Other than the Souls series and Stalker I dont recall feeling all that invested in the modern frachises to care if this mechanic got changed or if this contradicted the Lore there
When I was a kid I always wondered why Richard Garriot kept tinkering and changing the Ultima lore and engines so much between games but he was focused on having a brand new idea and pushing things as much as he could almost recreating an experience from the scratch each time to avoid that whole cycle, it eventualy got to him but I always think that had more to do (as always) with EA

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know I really never understood the whole love affair of the Codex with the Interplay Fallouts and their supposed dislike for the Bethesda ones

Because you are fucking stupid.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wasteland 2 is an enigma. Various people on here, whom I have agreed with in their opinions on various games, have either said Great! or Shit! Hence why I have kept it sitting there, wondering whether to bother buying it. This kinda sucks because I really enjoyed the original, and recently replayed it again on my C64.

The big thing that has made me wonder is; some people say it is combat after combat after combat. A steady grind in which the combat is not very fun at all. This brings visions of POR2 to mind.

SO what is the truth about Wasteland 2? Just say it how it is, don't overly defend or attack it, what is right/wrong with this game?

Stop the lies start the truths.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wasteland 2 is an enigma. Various people on here, whom I have agreed with in their opinions on various games, have either said Great! or Shit! Hence why I have kept it sitting there, wondering whether to bother buying it. This kinda sucks because I really enjoyed the original, and recently replayed it again on my C64.

The big thing that has made me wonder is; some people say it is combat after combat after combat. A steady grind in which the combat is not very fun at all. This brings visions of POR2 to mind.

SO what is the truth about Wasteland 2? Just say it how it is, don't overly defend or attack it, what is right/wrong with this game?

Stop the lies start the truths.

I am enjoying AOD by the way...but the combat, oh the combat. Very good, but the enemies know their stuff. I am utterly focusing on a death machine now after being flogged like a red headed step child. Maybe do a talky character next time. Thanks to those that recommended it.

roshan

Arcane
More like "if you're not prejudiced against RTwP, chances are you'll like PoE." Especially if you look at the current competition (DA:I and SCL) which is pure toxic waste. PoE isn't perfect but it's very solid by today's standards. It's just some people apparently expected Obsidian to make a "BG2 meets PS:T" game in 2.5 years on a KS budget.

If Whalenought could create Baldur's Gate meets Fallout on a budget of less than 30,000 USD, then Obshitian should have been able to deliver on an IE spiritual successor. Instead they produced a turd of a game, with an awful story, retarded setting, terribly bad combat, horrible pathfinding, unplayable due to the general buggyness and glitchyness of the controls and gameplay, and dumbed down for the moron audience to boot (forced autoresurrection, health regeneration, step by step quest updates, and every other retard-friendly gameplay mechanic you can think of). There's absolutely nothing that the game does well, nothing to make one excited or smile, just boredom and tedium. There's no soul, no heart, unlike games like Lords of Xulima or Antharion, it's just a product, overdesigned and overthought to the point of it being a totally vapid and hollow soul draining experience.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wasteland 2 is neither great nor shit. It's simply okay, with various ups and downs. Worth a playthrough, but probably shouldn't be a priority.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I am greatly biased towards anything sci-fi/futuristic/cyberpunk/Post-apoc cRPG

Wasteland 2: DC
- A flawed game, but an overall great cRPG. The writing is predictable and quite expository, and could have been better, but otherwise pretty cool. The C&C is there in alot of places, but not overly complex. The combat is sufficient-to-good, but not overly complex either. The presentation is pretty cool, graphics, animations etc does its job fine. The setting is right up my alley, present day/ futuristic post-apoc alá the Fallout series. Skill variety and character creation is also pretty good.

Underrail - Currently my favourite new cRPG. It has much of what I want. The story and writing along with C&C could benefit from a touch up here and there, but overall its great without having too much exposition. The combat is complex, is has alot of options, crafting, and the skillsystem is varied and leave alot of options for different playthroughs. The graphics are very cool and stylized, the music and sound is great. Presentation and setting is top notch, along the lines of aforementioned Fallout series. Overall a top notch cRPG.

Age of Decadence - Pretty great writing and C&C, but suffer from alot of exposition (just like Pillars of Eternity) The story is somewhat unoriginal and boring, but is made better with the writing. The skill variery, combat and character creation are all complex, interesting and cool. The presentation is pretty shitty. Graphics, art and animations leave much to be desired. Music and sounds are not something great either.

Divinity: Orgininal Sin -
Overall an okay cRPG. The story and writing was shitty and the setting quite cheesey, bordering on childish. (This will hopefully be changed in the EE). The combat was one of the great redeeming things about this game. It has perhaps one of the best and most fun combat systems in most recent cRPGs. Top notch. The presentation is fine, fantasy setting with whimsical stuff in it. Not my kind of thing, personally, but it's fine. It could benefit from a little grimdark, to set the tone right. Somewhat varied skill selection and character creation.

Others:

Pillars of Eternity - Story and writing are okayish-to-good, but suffer from wayy to much expository dialogue and text. Combat is shitty RtWp, and I don't really like what they did with that.

Shadowrun Series -
Story is shit, writing is shit, combat is lackluster. The setting could have been cool, but is ruined by the aforementioned story and writing. C&C is not really there. Feel like an empty world with nothing in it, nothing to do and to affect.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If Whalenought could create Baldur's Gate meets Fallout on a budget of less than 30,000 USD, then Obshitian should have been able to deliver on an IE spiritual successor.
I think you're exagerrating SitS' qualities. The game is still quite buggy, undocumented except for the manual, the interface is unintuitive, and performance is pretty bad unless you've installed it on an SSD. That's what you get with this budget and with a team of 2 of course. It's still an interesting game to delve into.

hard to tell with PoE nowadays though, never read anything but negativity.
Actually my impressions of the expansion were fairly positive. If you don't feel like reading 11kb of text, just check out the intro and "First impressions from The White March": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-the-white-march-expansion.103304/

AwesomeButton

Patron
I like RTwP and it's one of the shittest forms of it I've ever seen. It controls well due to the RTS-style control scheme, but the actual gameplay side of it is horrible.
It's opaque in its interface, so you can't see the calculated stats and it's too complex for you to easily do the maths on the fly, and too undocumented to even do the maths at all if you wanted to. Hence it can only be interesting to people who don't care about the rules, and even they will be put off by the lack of items which really stand out.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It has absolutely nothing to do with the maths or the interface, it's all about the actions taken as the player which essentially boils down to following the same routine every encounter, with a lot of clicking involved due to the amount of active abilities in the game, and the shitty movement mechanics which make it fairly static on the movement side. Most of the decision making regarding combat is done before combat begins, you use stealth to set up/get into position, use a string of opening abilities and then follow the motions of spamming per-encounters.

Lhynn

Arcane
I come here to defend bloodlust shadowhunter, not because it isnt a turd, but because its a fascinating turd. Its a poorly made game by a dude that cares, and you simply owe it to him to play it. Plus its not boring, not for a couple hours at least. Get it for cheap and play it if you got the time.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You do not glitter..
Gemify. Let the rage consume you.
Yeah I get it but still, half of the Beth Fallout haters in here are not only closet faggots but actualy play and enjoy their games but play the hivemind card to try to be cool in a community made up of geeks ffs
I liked the Interplay Fallouts, didnt cry myself to sleep over Fallout 3 and found New Vegas to be prefectly adequate maybe because it felt more like a western than Fallout
Seeing the hype over Fallout 4 is kind of weird for me, I will probably get around playing it a year after release after it has been Goty with all DLC and the communitu have gotten it partiañy patched

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I come here to defend bloodlust shadowhunter, not because it isnt a turd, but because its a fascinating turd. Its a poorly made game by a dude that cares, and you simply owe it to him to play it. Plus its not boring, not for a couple hours at least.

Well, let's say half an hour.

Black

Arcane
half of the Beth Fallout haters in here are not only closet faggots but actualy play and enjoy their games but play the hivemind card
How do you know that?
Can you tell us their names?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom