Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Morrowind Mods: 2012 Edition?

DraQ

Arcane
Someone really should make a mod (or mods) that change the locations of things like that, though. Seems like an easy enough and pretty obvious mod to do.
Keyword 'seems'.

Most Morrowind artifacts aren't just stowed away in some random dungeons.

They often have quests built around them and those quests have textual descriptions, often referring to the context that wouldn't be present in another dungeon.
Some may be quest rewards.
Others may have subtle environmental breadcrumb trails leading to them.

What 'seems' like an easy enough and simple mod (just run RNG at chargen, store some resulting values and enable/disable artifact instances based on stored variables), would actually turn out to be a massive quest mod, with lots of new dialogue, new books and possibly even location redesign and NPC replacement all over the map, not to mention extensive scripting.
If you wanted to touch daedric quest rewards as well (some daedra lords could be giving other items and still making sense), you'd have to even add extra voice acting, and in some cases make whole alternative quests (something not involving Oreyn if Malacath decided to give Volendrung instead of Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw).

Some artifacts could be randomized fairly easily - (Fists of Randagulf, Necromancer's Amulet, Eleidon's ward, Auriel's Shield, Dragonbone Cuirass, Fang of Haynekthnamet, Staff of Hasedoki) - though even then most of them would need something equally powerful in exchange at the same place.

A lot of generic high level loot could use randomization, though - a lot of pre-placed ebony, daedric and glass gear, Swords of White Woe and such.

And BTW:
Clockwork Knight? I'm still waiting...
What kind of useful spells can you still make with BTB?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I never tried Service Requirements. I don't think there's anything that will stop you from eventually becoming a god that can run 1000 MPH and kill everything by breathing on it though.

I suppose this is true. Even with the aforementioned mods, with time, one could still eventually get rich and powerful, train up all skills and rule every faction. Still, this would probably have to be done after finishing all or most of the main quest, expansions, etc. unless you just ignore all that. By that time you're already very powerful. Say you're a warrior character, and you've never bothered with the Imperial Cult. Why would you still bother with collecting alms and collecting ingredients by that point, other than out of some urge towards completionism? Even without these mods, I still never got around to finishing Bloodmoon, and I only finished Tribunal once, because I often get bored with Morrowind long before I get to that point. Then I make a new character or I forget about the game for months.

And BTW:
Clockwork Knight? I'm still waiting...
What kind of useful spells can you still make with BTB?

Define "useful'.:M

Actually I'm not sure, I personally never dealt much with spellmaking or enchanting, vanilla or otherwise (just enough to notice they do make vanilla spells into their prison bitch). I'll have to use some cheats to see.

Severian Silk

I just started playing this for the first time. I've installed all the mods listed here:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=71546

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the game. I need a little more direction than the game offers I think, and the combat is pretty laughable. The framerate is also poor despite the clunky graphics.

Meh. I'll keep trying anyway.

Regvard

Arcane
I just started playing this for the first time. I've installed all the mods listed here:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the game. I need a little more direction than the game offers I think, and the combat is pretty laughable. The framerate is also poor despite the clunky graphics.

You mean like quest compass/markers? Try Oblivion.

:troll:

Low framerate isn't game's fault. You need to configure MGSO properly.

roll-a-die

Magister

Meh. I'll keep trying anyway.
No fucking wonder, generally companion mod scripts lag the CPU like shit, and you've got 4 of them technically. More than that as you hopefully have a modern computer than you likely have a low power per core, but many core CPU. More than that, you've got things that add far more objects than there used to be into the frame manager. This causes even more lag. More than that, you're likely running shaders that you don't need on MGE. Generating even more lag. In Morrowind, even modded with things like MGE, CPU quality trumps GPU quality every time. Too often gamers think that, "GRAFFIX R WAT MAK MY FRUMRAT LOW. " If that were true, Dwarf Fortress wouldn't lag like a motherfucker with anything more than 130 dwarves.

Also Morrowind on the whole is very hard to get into if you aren't immediately grabbed by it. Honestly, there's no harm in not liking it.

Severian Silk

No, I mean the narrative.

I have set MGSO to the lowest "Slow PC" settings, but still drop down to <30fps at times.

No fucking wonder, generally companion mod scripts lag the CPU like shit, and you've got 4 of them technically. More than that as you hopefully have a modern computer than you likely have a low power per core, but many core CPU. More than that, you've got things that add far more objects than there used to be into the frame manager. This causes even more lag. More than that, you're likely running shaders that you don't need on MGE. Generating even more lag. In Morrowind, even modded with things like MGE, CPU quality trumps GPU quality every time. Too often gamers think that, "GRAFFIX R WAT MAK MY FRUMRAT LOW. " If that were true, Dwarf Fortress wouldn't lag like a motherfucker with anything more than 130 dwarves.
I didn't install the Julan, Ashlander Companion mod, so there's only the wolf which I haven't met yet. Maybe I'll disable MGSO.

roll-a-die

Magister

No, I mean the narrative.

I have set MGSO to the lowest "Slow PC" settings, but still drop down to <30fps at times.

I didn't install the Julan, Ashlander Companion mod, so there's only the wolf which I haven't met yet. Maybe I'll disable MGSO.
White wolf also has 2(Maybe 3) dumbed down companions. There's still a a script that runs every tick to check if they are there though. Nothing compared to Julan, though, who includes so much bullshit scripting I could run a fertilizer plant out of it.

Let's see the features...

Dialogues:OK
Djangos Dialogue
Persuasion response expansion
Solstheim Rumor Fix
Less Generic Bloodmoon
Less Generic Tribunal
Nudity Greeting Expansion
Quick NOTE: LGNPC won't be included because of its complexity. (Not sure about that, because I got all the permissions, but I'll see)

Well, at least they got their priorities straight.

escom

Learned
Nudity Greeting Expansion:
"This mod adds new nudity greetings for npcs. You will no longer hear "Cover yourself! Are you mad? Have you no decency?" Now there are several randomly picked greetings that will be given to the player based on the npc's disposition, and whether he/she is of opposite sex. Almost all of the greetings are comical in some way, shape, or form."

Nothing terrible.

Severian Silk

I'm having trouble motivating myself to play this (otherwise it will have just been wasted money buying the game). I don't like all the wandering around aimlessly or the wiki dialogue. I wish NPCs only had names if they were important like any sane RPG. I also wish quest locations were marked on the map for you, and that there were additional intermediate zoom levels for the map. :(

I think I will use a walkthrough from now on to have the game be over with faster. :(

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm having trouble motivating myself to play this (otherwise it will have just been wasted money buying the game). I don't like all the wandering around aimlessly or the wiki dialogue. I wish NPCs only had names if they were important like any sane RPG. I also wish quest locations were marked on the map for you, and that there were additional intermediate zoom levels for the map. :(

I think I will use a walkthrough from now on to have the game be over with faster. :(

:mob:

Gord

Arcane
What are the requirements for MGSO?

My inner graphics wore is tempted to try it out at least once, but atm. I only have access to the german (I think) Morrowind version without the expansions.
I've read in the FAQ of MGSO that it won't work with different language versions.
Also I don't know if it requires the expansions to run.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The mod is designed to run on a wide variety of specs, I think. You can customize a lot of things to be less performance intensive, such as disabling grass and using slightly lower quality trees (although still an upgrade from vanilla). To experience the mod to its fullest you're going to require a pretty powerful PC, though.

Gord

Arcane
Oh sorry, poor wording.
It's not about performance but whether I can install it at all without expansions and on a non-english version.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I think you need the expansions to run. This is from the comments on one of their pages;

GOTY is fine, as you need bot the expansion for MGSO to run

I'm not sure about non-english versions, though.

Gord

Arcane
I see.
Well, then it's either buying again if I see it cheap somewhere or waiting till the next time I meet that friend of mine that has the expansions, whichever comes first.

Regvard

Arcane
Just so you guys know, there is a one-handed spears mod. For all your shieldwall needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom