Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Morrowind Mods: 2012 Edition?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Dragon Age fits, Morrowind doesn't.

Actually first DA is much more superior on PC- better hud, party control options etc etc. And since it was more of a "classic Baldur Gatesque party RPG" to begin with, I' d say it fits crpg classification nicely.

The same I could say about all Elder Scroll games, because mods are what keeps discussion about them alive through the years (Oblivion, for example, is utterly unplayable without level scaling removal mod). And since the dedicated mod tool is PC only, it makes sense putting them there.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I propose a more nuanced definition based on intentionality. Witcher 2 was PC-exclusive for a year, but it was obviously intended for consoles. In contrast, Morrowind's XBox port seems like it was an afterthought.

The criteria is clearly broken then.

I think you're confused. He said that Dragon Age is popamole, while Morrowind isn't.

Yes I am. I'll use the "It's early here" excuse and shuffle out of the topic in shame.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Actually first DA is much more superior on PC- better hud, party control options etc etc. And since it was more of a "classic Baldur Gatesque party RPG" to begin with, I' d say it fits crpg classification nicely.
That may be true, but unlike Morrowind DA:O was still a multiplatform game from the start, which would put it in Console Popamole discussion based on the existing criteria. I do think that this is not the best way to categorize games, The Witcher 2 being a good example of a "PC-exclusive" console game.

DraQ

Arcane
That may be true, but unlike Morrowind DA:O was still a multiplatform game from the start, which would put it in Console Popamole discussion based on the existing criteria. I do think that this is not the best way to categorize games, The Witcher 2 being a good example of a "PC-exclusive" console game.
Additionally Morrowind was more of a "classic Daggerfallesque solo RPG" to begin with (Daggerfall pre-dating BG by a fair margin) and it was clearly designed for the PC, regardless of whether the port was planned in advance.

It's evident from both excellent PC interface in PC version (freely resizable, pinnable windows and tight grid inventory) and the fact that expansions had to be cut down in terms of content when they were ported to the X-Pox.
If even the expansions were designed on the PC first and foremost, requiring trimming on subsequent port, then it's a safe bet that the base game was also designed and made for PC.

And that's *AFTER* the simple fact that consoletards had to wait for their version. It was a PC exclusive for some time. If someone decided to port Fallout to X-Pox "RRoD" 360, then what? Would we move all the FO1 threads to console popamole?
:hearnoevil:
And no, this last argument isn't in the least bit absurd - behold, a console popamole FPS:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I love Morrowind but "excellent pc interface" is just wrong. It is quite terrible/slow/clunky.
One click and practically everything except journal at your disposal is now considered slow and clunky? I guess you really can't stand playing 90% of RPGs that require you to actually shuffle through menus then. Oblivion's inventory and interface in general felt like a smack to the face after Morrowind, even more so after seeing they learned NOTHING from it and did the same thing in Skyrim.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nothing to learn, that's the kind of game they are making. A console game, where everything needs must be directional menu driven (just like the rest of them).

Regvard

Arcane

I love Morrowind but "excellent pc interface" is just wrong. It is quite terrible/slow/clunky.
One click and practically everything except journal at your disposal is now considered slow and clunky? I guess you really can't stand playing 90% of RPGs that require you to actually shuffle through menus then. Oblivion's inventory and interface in general felt like a smack to the face after Morrowind, even more so after seeing they learned NOTHING from it and did the same thing in Skyrim.

Yep. That's why I'm at Codex. :roll:

Oblivion and Skyrim are consoletard games. News at 11.

Morrowind's interface is terribly laggy/unresponsive therefore clunky/slow. Is it serviceable? Sure. Is it excellent? Not even close.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
even more so after seeing they learned NOTHING from it and did the same thing in Skyrim.
They did learn something. That something being that fans will fix your clusterfuck of an UI for you on the PC port for free.
Morrowind's interface is terribly laggy/unresponsive therefore clunky/slow. Is it serviceable? Sure. Is it excellent? Not even close.
Wat

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind's interface is terribly laggy/unresponsive therefore clunky/slow.
That's the matter of coding (bethesda coders couldn't program their way out of wet paper bag, news at 11), not design.

The design is near perfect, the only way it could be better would be if it included at least item names in the grid and provided more filters, sort options, spell icons in spellbook and such. Maybe search utility as well.

It's still way better than about 100% of the remaining cRPGs and is PC centric to the core, being essentially mini-desktop.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So I installed Morrowind and Overhaul 3.0. The guy put alot of love and care into the project and the istaller is just amazing- it does most of the stuff automatically for you in an easy step by step setup and even goes as far as checking for driver updates for your machine and the like. You still get to choose shitload of options and non-graphic related plugins (NPCs casting their racials, unarmed scaling with STR etc.) to tinker with and most of the changes have neat screen-shots and descriptions. Unfortunately it's quite heavy on the system, especially RAM, and even if my laptop can handle most modern games with relative ease, the fps with everything turned on was kinda choppy. I'm sure by reducing view distance and tinkering around some more would yield better results, but really what's the point? All that awesome look and feel goes right out of the window once you realize it has the same old crappy combat and animations. I'm also not really that fond of the idea of seeing everything at such a distance- it makes the world much much smaller. So I reinstalled vanilla version, played around a bit, got bored and uninstalled the game.

Everything went as expected. It always does.

DraQ

Arcane
So I installed Morrowind and Overhaul 3.0. The guy put alot of love and care into the project and the istaller is just amazing- it does most of the stuff automatically for you in an easy step by step setup and even goes as far as checking for driver updates for your machine and the like. You still get to choose shitload of options and non-graphic related plugins (NPCs casting their racials, unarmed scaling with STR etc.) to tinker with and most of the changes have neat screen-shots and descriptions. Unfortunately it's quite heavy on the system, especially RAM, and even if my laptop can handle most modern games with relative ease, the fps with everything turned on was kinda choppy. I'm sure by reducing view distance and tinkering around some more would yield better results, but really what's the point? All that awesome look and feel goes right out of the window once you realize it has the same old crappy combat and animations. I'm also not really that fond of the idea of seeing everything at such a distance- it makes the world much much smaller. So I reinstalled vanilla version, played around a bit, got bored and uninstalled the game.

Everything went as expected. It always does.
You can get just the mechanical and code fixes by installing MCP.

Jaz

Educated
Overhaul 3.0, Gladiator (for those who want to see what Arena was supposed to be with Morrowind's technology), Morrowind Comes Alive (adds 1000 NPCs with random heads, hair, and equipment that appear at — and disappear from — locations at random times to emulate the coming and going of travelers), Assassins Armoury, Sound Enhancement, Marksman (adds three new playable classes, new NPCs, a new shop in Hlaalu canton Canalworks, improved bow and arrow sound effects, new music tracks, traps, and in increase in projectile speed), & GIANTS Ultimate (adds 200 creatures & blood (not to say that Morrowind didn't have any blood) and gore); just to name a couple.

assassins armory would be really nice for my playthrough, unfortunately the only download on PES is not working anymore. does anyone have this thing still lying around on a hard drive by any chance? serious brofist for a reupload.

Regvard

Arcane
Morrowind's interface is terribly laggy/unresponsive therefore clunky/slow.
That's the matter of coding (bethesda coders couldn't program their way out of wet paper bag, news at 11), not design.

The design is near perfect, the only way it could be better would be if it included at least item names in the grid and provided more filters, sort options, spell icons in spellbook and such. Maybe search utility as well.

It's still way better than about 100% of the remaining cRPGs and is PC centric to the core, being essentially mini-desktop.

So, I installed Morrowind again to see if I missed something about the interface. Nope.

First of all, I must admit it's not as unresponsive as I remembered it to be, probably because we are not using 2002 tech anymore.

Bad stuff:

Totally unnecessary to assign inv/char sheet/map screen to right clicking. Could have been used for casting, blocking etc. It also prevents you from equipping things with a right click. Currently you have to click on an item, release the mouse button (you can't just drag it), move the item over to your paperdoll, click and release the mouse button again. ZzZzzz.

Transferring stuff between bag and containers is a pain too. You have to repeat the above process with a container instead of paperdoll.

Loot Everything and Dispose of Corpse. Not bound to keyboard keys. You have to go ahead and click those buttons.

Shitty inventory icons. Hard to tell what is what without hovering the mouse over them. Search function would have been great as you pointed out.

Shitty map. A proper customizable map would have helped so much in this game.

No equipment sets.

assassins armory would be really nice for my playthrough, unfortunately the only download on PES is not working anymore. does anyone have this thing still lying around on a hard drive by any chance? serious brofist for a reupload.

This link's working, though it's for german version. I think it'll be playable anyway because iirc there's no NPC selling the items like in Adul's Arsenal, they're scattered into leveled lists.

http://www.scharesoft.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=27&func=fileinfo&id=442

this looks about right, even though I'm uncertain what version it is. gonna give it a try.

Hmm...you can try and use that file for the resources (textures, meshes, icons, etc) and the first mediafire link below for an english version of the v7.6 ESP.

http://www.gameskyrim.com/game-rebalancing-mods-t33373-100.html

Gluby said:
Okay. I put up (I think) all of my TAD testing specialized files.

The full TAD balancing pack I compiled a while ago (along with my patches for it) can be found http://www.mediafire.com/?gajitymamnm, and my specific tweaks I'm using can be found http://www.mediafire.com/?jrozn1jzz4d.

Let me know if there are any problems with it. The TAD files, as I have them, require Kahkahra's Complete Armor Joints, Alaisiagae's Left Gloves Addon, and Better Clothes with Keazen's patches.

EDIT: Oh, and obviously the MPP too.

EDIT 2: The GCD combined file is just, I'm pretty sure, the main file merged with the v1.08 patch and the StartScript -- I avoided the rest because (1) the brittlewind fix is essentially a dirty ref now with the MPP's having dealt with it, (2) I like BAMF better than BBB (better balanced birthsigns), and (3) I'm under a similar impression that the Restore Potions fix is also a dirty ref because the MPP has made the same fix (i.e. restore potions have 1-second duration, instead of being instantaneous).

Gluby is the guy that keeps this list.

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/Gluby/Gluby_Main.htm

Stabwound

Arcane
It's cool that my thread got 3 pages of responses and only like 2 people who actually made legit suggestions. :greatjob:

I installed the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul 3 which, for some reason, doesn't seem to look nearly as good as the screenshots show. The extended lands mod makes my computer crawl, and disabling all fog and having max view distance makes you realize how small the game actually is anyway. Plus the fog adds some mystery and atmosphere. I haven't played the game in so long that I can't remember the land, and exploration is the fun part. So I disabled that extended lands shit.

Are there any mods that remove level scaling as far as monsters and item lists go? I fucking hate that shit. Also, are there any good mods that add a lot of new (balanced) content?

Stabwound

Arcane
Sure, hook me up and I'll check it out.

Damn, I end up doing this every year. I'll spend hours and days modding the shit out of the game and then play for an hour and quit.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Yeah well installing a graphic mod for game you dont seen to enjoy regardless of the graphics is going to yield the same results every time....perhaps Oblivion is more your speed?

Don't give me this high-brow bullshit. I've played Morrowind dozens of times, even spend almost a year modding my own island . It doesn't change the fact that aside from gorgeous atmosphere, great quests and heavy dose of nostalgia, it's a boring shit game with even shittier combat. It holds up extremely poorly for people who already know where everything is or can't afford to spend 10 hours a day to properly immerse themselves in the experience. On an average workday I get 2-3 hours tops and I don't want to spend them collecting mushrooms or poking mud crabs in an extremely unsatisfactory manner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom