Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best looking Codex approved RPG on max settings

Broseidon

Educated
The Dark Spire? Is that codex approved? It's a sharp looking game nonetheless, and there's a wireframe option for geriatrics.

Not an RPG, but I assume it's Codex approved: Celtic Tales. It's what comes to mind when I think of beautiful retro games.

mjr42d.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
racofer wins the thread with the first reply. ToEE is absolutely beautiful. And to a varying extents, so are the infinity engine games.

circ said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NWN 2. GOOD LOOKING? ON MAX SETTINGS? ON ANY SETTING? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I wouldn't say it's the best, but I'm playing through it right now and it looks pretty good. A lot of the armor and enemies have a nice classic fantasy look, but some of it is too high fantasy for my tastes.

The Dark Spire? Is that codex approved? It's a sharp looking game nonetheless, and there's a wireframe option for geriatrics.

The Dark Spire does look great, and is a very good game. I don't know if it could be considered Codex approved, some Codexers would undoubtedly shit on it just because it's from Japan and is a DS game.

Captain Shrek

Burning Bridges said:
What settings mods are you using? Somehow this looks better than my TWitcher.

Try using the OTS camera on highest settings.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lesifoere said:
Suck on a dog's dick and die, you worthless, lobotomized abortion.

No really, people who lap up the watery shit that is generic fantasy is why we can't have nice things. Choke on Bioware and die, you lowest common denominator.

:love:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lesifoere said:
Saxon1974 said:
MetalCraze said:
The Planescape setting? The setting that is all but generic fantasy you see in every damn fantasy game?

Yea I know everyone here loves it, but I just dont like it that much. I prefer the more generic high fantasy settings...I know I suck :decline:

Suck on a dog's dick and die, you worthless, lobotomized abortion.

No really, people who lap up the watery shit that is generic fantasy is why we can't have nice things. Choke on Bioware and die, you lowest common denominator.

:incline:

Oh God, this post has made my day. Thank you. :D

To be fair, however, it depends what he means by 'generic fantasy setting.' For example, there are people out there who consider 'Betrayal at Krondor' to have generic setting.

Frankly, I would take BaK's or even ToEE's world anyday over any emo grimdark-edgy feeble attempt at being 'innuvative' like in DA:O or DA2, or KotOR.

Archibald

Arcane
For example, there are people out there who consider 'Betrayal at Krondor' to have generic setting.

They should be shot in the face. Setting doesn`t become generic just because it is fantasy and has magic or dragons or whatever.

Deleted member 7219

Fantasy: Risen (also, The Witcher but its graphics are looking a little dated now. However, the vistas in some locations are still amazing)

High Fantasy: Morrowind (with texture packs). Also, Planescape Torment does look very good with the widescreen mod.

Sci-Fi: Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 (not sure if these count as 'Codex approved', but the art direction in these games is spectacular)

laclongquan

Arcane
RK47 said:
...i think i like the part when Bloodlines mods broke my game, rendering my apartment elevator inoperable. It refused to go down. I thought it broke down as scripted and forced myself to crawl on vent and take fire escape stairs down.

Until I realized the mods broke it.

My best mod is selfmade.

Change a line in the ini file to increase bust size. :yeah:

Change another few lines so my Torreador become Velvet Velour :yeah:

Mhmmmmm~

Topher

Cipher
I'm with Mrowak. I prefer a "generic" setting, like ToEE, over the stuff Bioware is putting out these days; they just don't have the talent to pull off originality. I really don't mind a generic fantasy setting as long as they keep it low key.

Step 1. The power of a cliche is that everybody will instantly recognize it... so stop explaining them to me every chance you get.
Step 2. Never invert cliches just to be radically different. It's asinine. If you can't be original... don't try.

*Also, don't make goddamn Orcs and call them Darkspawn. Not Fucking Cool.

Dark Matter said:
Topher said:
Step 2. Never invert cliches just to be radically different. It's asinne.

So planescape torment is asinine? r00fles

The Planescape campaign setting didn't invert cliches, it took every detail of AD&D 2.0 to their logical conclusions and tried to tie them all together, and ended up in surrealist territory.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
malko_sundervere said:
Dark Matter said:
Topher said:
Step 2. Never invert cliches just to be radically different. It's asinne.

So planescape torment is asinine? r00fles

The Planescape campaign setting didn't invert cliches, it took every detail of AD&D 2.0 to their logical conclusions and tried to tie them all together, and ended up in surrealist territory.
They did invert gameplay clichés, though. The goal is to die, instead of surviving; one of the tougher enemies is a rat; finger nails instead of swords as weapons; tattoos and eyeballs instead of armor.

Archibald

Arcane
I'm with Mrowak. I prefer a "generic" setting, like ToEE, over the stuff Bioware is putting out these days; they just don't have the talent to pull off originality. I really don't mind a generic fantasy setting as long as they keep it low key.

I haven`t played DA but from previews/videos/reviews i wouldn`t really considered it "original", for me both Krondor games are far more original and non generic fantasy.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Topher said:

...what is there in Dragon Age that constitutes originality, attempted or otherwise? DA's as generic as you can get and no amount of MATURE NEW SHIT is going to cover that up.

angerpowered

Novice
Yeah I bought the game today. 10 dollars. Decided to do OC first. Basically...

"oh awesome wolf furs riiiiight. Oh alright I get a cool bow or something...err probably a shitty baseline bow but whatever, it's all good...*walks outside*...*cringes and shields eyes* jesus what the fuck...oh alright bloom that's all good... Oh hey I got friends n shit!...oh okay they're all on happy pills. They look 35 but speak like creepy adults who didn't get to have a childhood and are trying really really hard to fill that big black hole in their pointless shit hole lives...oh cool this blond mil- err...blonde girl is doing a talent show with magi-Zzzzzzzz".

My jaw dropped at character creation though. Was pretty difficult. Choices choices. I spent like 30 minutes and just decided to not give a fuck about skills and just pick a race, class, stat combo and go with recommended for everything else.

Being a tiefling is pretty fucking cool though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How did Dragon Age invert cliches? Never played the game, but to me it seems very cliched.

Mrowak

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Topher said:

...what is there in Dragon Age that constitutes originality, attempted or otherwise? DA's as generic as you can get and no amount of MATURE NEW SHIT is going to cover that up.

The problem is in the word 'generic' which appears to carry different meaning depending on who uses it.

If you took Betrayal at Krondor and showed it to an average Biowhore (I tested it) their conclusion would that it sports generic fantasy world. After all, it has elves, noble and elderitch living in a huge forest, dwarves stocky, and grumpy living under a mountain, human kingdoms, mages, knights, goblins, dark elves and so on. Hence, it's generic (anyone who played it a little knows this is bonkers).

So some people by 'generic' mean 'the world based on the lore adopted by Tolkien sticking to the social hierarchy and stereotypes propagated in his books.' Of course Biotards would never finish say 'the Lord of the Rings.' They think more here about 'Dragonlance', 'Forgotten Realms' and similar stuff.

In this context, DA may be seen by some as striving for originality with doing away with some of the tropes. Elves are no longer high and noble, mages are persecuted, there is more serious tone to everything than people are accustomed to from their experience with e.g. forgotten realms. To them this is original. Unfortunately, it is all only skin deep as when you explore the game a little all the shallowness known from some R.A. Salvatore fantasy pulp-fiction.

Bioware is right about one thing, however. Indeed, sometimes introducing serious themes like social injustice, poverty oppression can do wonders and ungenerify the world. Nonetheless, it must be done with skill and flair preferably coupled with actually good art-direction. Example: the Witcher where while the ingredients are the same as in the games above, the fact that the devs not merely touch upon but actively use more complex issues make the world much more unique and breathtaking. In effect, the world gains character, loses its genericness, in spite of taking heavy advantage of the elemets which should render it yet another simple fantasy bloat. The same, ironically applies to BaK.

So from my perspective DA is a feeble, ill-conceived attempt at making original game which fails due to apparent shallowness of the changes implemented.

Honestly, with all the juvenile intrigue going on they would have done better with a more 'classic' setting like in ToEE which is as generic as you can get, but still more interesting than anything that transpires in DA... Well, that may be due to the fact that the combat in ToEE does not suck arse...

One more thing. Personally, I do not prefer my games to have generic settings. The more original the merrier. I want that Planescape: Torment's killer game to be published one day. However, and I think this holds truth for all of us here, I would take genuinely generic worlds (ToEE) and worlds that some dumbfucks claim to be generic and thus boring (BaK) over anything that the dementia striken minds of Bioware employees spawn out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom