Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Best Final Fantasy

Which Final Fantasy is the best?

• Total voters

Ash

Arcane
The only thing FF1 has going for it is its hardcore difficulty: resource attrition, unrelenting combat (the frequency of them between each save point. The combat itself is boring asf and dead simple) and awesome evil navigation challenge. Of course Square Enix gutted it. Everything they touch turns to absolute shit, they only care about money. Zero honor. That has been the rule for them since the early 2000s. 24 years. Maybe 20 years to be fair to the early post-Sakaguchi games where they were still pretending to honor the series and make an effort (X, X-2, maybe 11 & 12). Never buy Square Enix shit. NEVER. They also get their claws on western IPs and do the same, or used to. They used to own eidos and ruined all those related IPs too. RIP Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman...

GamerCat_

Educated
GamerCat_ come participate.
7 and 8 are the prettiest. 7 to me feels like the peak in using a general formal premise, ideas, themes, and tropes to push limits and create a highly novel multimedia experience. Even today I think that the opening act of Final Fantasy 7 is incredible. It's doing so much at once within such familiar lines. "JRPG" is a creative tradition that, like all creative traditions and forms, closes off possibilities but also creates them. FF7 is miraculously cool considering it willfully binds itself to text boxes, lining people up to take turns hitting each other, formal doll-play like stagings of dramatic sequences, and on top of all of this it also somehow manages to still feel impressive and expensive. It's kind of like watching Akira. Even if the technology is dated you can feel that this was state of the art. It still looks excellent and you can feel the extraordinary ambition that drove this and made it all possible.

This video in particular is probably the best showcase of what I love about this era of Final Fantasy.

By the PS2 there's this kind of massive opening up. A double sided sense of "oh well anything is possible now". Futureshocks comparable to what the PS1 could deliver at the peak of its production values weren't really possible anymore.

Ash

Arcane
Play 5 and 6 also.

Then move onto the classic "Immersive Sims" (Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis).

You'll be based in no time. :salute:

Odoryuk

Educated
It is quite difficult to pinpoint the best Final Fantasy game, as it's not just a series of sequels, but a kind of a collection of archetypes with constant iteration on their design and usage, both gameplay, story and visual language–wise.

Final Fantasy can be considered a trail blazer, while Dragon Quest was mimicking Wizardry with its first person combat where you only see cute monsters designed by the great Akira Toriyama (God rest his beatiful soul), in Final Fantasy you can see characters in battle, they even do their cute little animations of attacking or chanting a spell. It was a big deal back then.

Final Fantasy 2 tried to tell an actual story with actual characters, it even had some light adventure game elements where you can actually ask major important characters about key elements of the story you learn, but also, for some reason, tried to innovate on the battle system with its weird progression system, which, to these days, stays the weakest FF battle system.

Final Fantasy 3 is the beginning of what distincts FF as a series, the job system. They implemented a lot of mechanical customisation, kind of a return to the first game, but with more freedom, and also they toned down on the whole storytelling thing, which made a game a lot better than the previous one.

Final Fantasy 4 is where developers actually told a good story, a game story which doesn't exist outside of game mechanics, but which is supported by it (for example, the moment when Cecil becomes a Paladin is done via a battle, and Rydia can't cast Fire spells in the beginning of the game, because fire killed her whole family and her home village, and I'm not even done here, there's a lot of plot moments in the game which are supported by the game world's rules and game mechanics). A top tier choice for sure.

Final Fantasy 5 again makes itself distinct from the previous entry by, again, allowing for freedom of swapping classes, creating your own classes by learning and combining class abilities, and interacting with the game's world based on your classes selection (learning blue magic through monsters you encounter, learning geo magic through backgrounds you encounter when battling with monsters). The most light hearted game, and it is full of shounen humour, even if it's another game where one of the main characters die (don't worry, they will be replaced by a relative of said character with the same stats). A top tier choice for sure.

Final Fantasy 6 locked character classes again (I'm beginning to see the pattern here), but each character is truly unique and brings something to the table. I love how the game plays to this, no doubt, strongest element, by forcing the player to form groups of different characters which player then should use together. Didn't care about other characters and only used your favorite ones? Well, too bad, you have to use them in the final dungeon. Also, the way each character has its own story arc (sometimes it's optional and can be skipped) and you can't even decide which character is the main one, tells a lot about how Squaresoft learned to tell stories with their games. A top tier choice for sure.

Final Fantasy 7 iterates on previous game, by retaining FF6's magic system, where each character can (and, frankly, SHOULD) learn magic, but instead of getting new spells from Espers, FF7 characters get them from Materia which they equip to their weapon and armour. This is a very deep character progression system, where you can find a stronger weapon or armor, which has a poor Materia usage capabilities, so you have to decide which you need more. Materia can also synergies together, and there's a lot of ways to create a busted overpowered builds with a right set of materia. The first game in the series where one of the main characters's death is played masterfully and left a huge impact on videogames as a whole. A top tier choice for sure.

Final Fantasy 8's battle system is so abstract and system based, that you have to be a child to enjoy it (through not understanding it and just playing the game like a normal JRPG ). Unlike FF7's battle system, creating busted builds is not fun and only requires grinding and grinding. Fighting ordinary monsters is no fun at all, because of auto levelling. This all sounds like FF8 is bad, but it actually has one of the most interesting game settings in the series with, dare I say, great characters and story (I know, I know about amnesia, about angsty main character, this been repeated on the internet myriads of times and it is still wrong). FF8's heart (visual style, music, characters, story, mood) is good, FF8's brains (battle system) are not so.

Final Fantasy 9 is hailed as a return to roots in todays internets, but it wasn't as hailed back then. Characters again have their distinct classes, based on classic jobs from Final Fantasy 5, magic can be learned only by mage characters and you cannot change a character's class. Not only character's class distinct the character in battles, it is also tied to the character themselves and their role in the story, you just can't separate it (aside from Amarant, but he's hardly a character at all). The rigid class system with each character being able to learn only passive and active skills that are available to them kind of limits the freedom of party building, kind of like Final Fantasy 6 did, but without the freedom of learning magic. New system with passive skills you have a limited amount of resource to put into slightly alleviates that, so you have choices for each character and sometimes you have to select different passive skills based on need in the next boss battle, for example. The story, visual style, atmosphere - it is truly one of the best games on PlayStation. A top tier choice for sure.

Too bad the series ended with PlayStation 1 though, I'd like to see what Squaresoft could do on newer console generations.

Beans00

Augur
FF5 and FF6 are good, if flawed. FFT is also good, but pales in comparison to its predecessor, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Tactics Ogre LUCT had multiple story paths that radically changed the characters motivations and actions, multiple endings, some of which changed depending on your faction reputation and who was left alive by end game, powerful classes hidden behind side quests, it does not paint nationalism in a cartoonishly bad light unlike 99% of modern games, and it is part of a series where the quality is generally more consistent. FFT will always be the imperfect imitation to this game imho. The only thing it does better is individual character builds.

TO:LUCT is a good game, but compared to FFT(I played FFT first). The job system is way better in FFT, the story I prefer FFT but tactics ogre is no slouch. I prefer the smaller fights in FFT by a long shot, some of the TO fights can drag on and on. I remember being annoyed by the way you gained experience in tactics ogre(is there some gimmick to leveling up? I seem to remember the system being completely different in the psp remake aswell).

Difficulty in both is a problem. FFT starts out pretty hard with almost every fight being a pain in the ass, by the end the game is a complete cakewalk even if you don't use the Cid guy or w/e. TO starts out easy and stays easy then has random difficulty spikes. This is made even worse with story choice(3 paths you can take) in tactics ogre, where neutral is way harder then chaos or especially law(which is a cakewalk). I really like they added in 3 complete paths for replayability but they aren't balanced at all.

IIRC tactics ogre was directly inspired by the breakup of yugoslavia

Last edited:

Beans00

Augur
forcing the player to form groups of different characters which player then should use together. Didn't care about other characters and only used your favorite ones? Well, too bad, you have to use them in the final dungeon.

Actually that's not true. When I was a kid the first time I played FF6 I thought everyone sucked except Shadow,Terra,Celes and locke. So those guys were like level 50 and everyone else was like level 25.

For the last dungeon you can beat it with 4 dudes, you just need to do the whole thing 3 times(for each group). Then enter/exit the dungeon a bunch of times and walk through the whole thing like 6 times when you get to the button puzzle when you need to fight the 3 different bosses.

Also the story in ff8 is about an incel(squal) trying to kill his foster mom when she's becoming empress of the world. Story sucked bro don't cope about it.

Odoryuk

Educated
For the last dungeon you can beat it with 4 dudes, you just need to do the whole thing 3 times(for each group). Then enter/exit the dungeon a bunch of times and walk through the whole thing like 6 times when you get to the button puzzle when you need to fight the 3 different bosses.
I suppose one can do it like that, but rather than going through the same dungeon 3 times, I feel like the game provides good enough options with character questlines doing which you naturally progress your characters.

Also the story in ff8 is about an incel(squal) trying to kill his foster mom when she's becoming empress of the world. Story sucked bro don't cope about it.
More like it's a story about Squall Thundercock tryin to get his hot older step sister unstuck from a time–space rift, if you know what I mean.

Beans00

Augur
I suppose one can do it like that, but rather than going through the same dungeon 3 times, I feel like the game provides good enough options with character questlines doing which you naturally progress your characters.

I guess but I beat that game when I was like 7 years old. So anyone who wasn't the aforementioned 4 characters I considered lame. With the exception of maybe Sabin but I couldn't do his move combos so he wasn't super useful. I guess Cyan was ok too but IIRC he sucked and his ability was too slow for him to be useful.

Spike

Educated
dumb shit

Hi sum drunk guy. As usual you drunken bum, you have not a single clue. Final Fantasy is extremely diverse. Some games are trope-laden. Others are extremely unique. Some games are utter garbage. Others are some of the very best games the industry produced. Some completely on rails and storyfag, others offer much freedom, and so on. You made a thread named "japs do it better" and while I am on the fence with that claim, classic Final Fantasy is one of the finest examples to put forward to give your argument credence.

Follow the poll. Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 is excellent stuff, forget anything you have heard or think you might know about them, I almost guarantee you it's wrong unless you heard it from me (YES! lol), and play.
Nice to know that 5-9 are all great. Had no idea. You have convinced me. I thought the gameplay decline set in with 7 for some reason. Very nice to know it did not. I will play all of them through 9, and I will also play 12 because it seems cool. What are your thoughts on 12? Not going to touch 10 though.
EDIT: I have played 1 and really liked it. Also, my 'tism demands that I continue with 2 and go chronologically. Any reason to skip 2-4?

Ash

Arcane
Plenty reason to skip 2-4 in my opinion (barebones boring gameplay), but if you really liked 1, then you'll probably like 2-4 too (though they are slightly less hardcore than 1 in terms of challenge). For me, the series doesnt get good until 5, and those prior four games are far too barebones. Respectable to a degree, but bore me to tears. Objectively simple RPGs, even for the time.

Ash

Arcane
50459.png

the early post-Sakaguchi games where they were still pretending to honor the series and make an effort (X, X-2, maybe 11 & 12).
Dream on. X was the abrubt and definite end of FF.

Oh I certainly agree. It's just that those PS2 games, Square Enix were still putting in a degree of effort. Failing to meet standards big time, but they weren't completely worthless. By 13, that too was over.

Spike

Educated
50459.png

the early post-Sakaguchi games where they were still pretending to honor the series and make an effort (X, X-2, maybe 11 & 12).
Dream on. X was the abrubt and definite end of FF.

Oh I certainly agree. It's just that those PS2 games, Square Enix were still putting in a degree of effort. Failing to meet standards big time, but they weren't completely worthless. By 13, that too was over.
Dat variety. Wowza.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Just imagine if those sprites were animated too :shredder:

I'm definitely asking for too much, the artistic mastery on display in FF6 is already stellar.

Imagine what they could've done with Amano's art if they had the graphic fidelity of the current era of tech. We missed out on proper 80s anime art being seen at like 4k natively. That's the only case where tehcnical limitations are a real argument.

Ash

Arcane
Seeing those sprites upsets me so much about FF Record Keeper going away.

So I asked "AI" what this was, as I never really paid it much attention beyond a brief look as it is a mobile game and I hate Square Enix, not only what they did to FF but other classics too.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper (Japanese: ファイナルファンタジーレコードキーパー) was a free-to-play role-playing gacha game developed and published by DeNA for iOS and Android. The game featured original characters and stories interacting with characters, scenarios, and battles from other games in the Final Fantasy series1. Here are some key details about the game:

The game’s service for the global version ended on September 29, 2022 after running for seven-and-a-half years internationally2. Although it’s no longer available, it remains a cherished memory for fans of the Final Fantasy universe.

:prosper:

Sounds good for what it is; good for dweebs, but old FF is probably the very definition of SOUL, and this is soulless and disgraceful. Just like everything else SE does.

Discuss and replay the games, preferably with romhacks, if you want to cherish them.

Last edited:
Record Keeper wasn't that bad for what essentially was a game you played while taking a shit or commuting. Brave Exvious forced you to have friends, because you needed friends added in a list to unlock shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom