Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Best Elder Scrolls character?

?

• Total voters

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Why the Hell did it take so many posts before someone brought up easily the best antagonist in any Elder Scrolls game? Dagoth Ur is the best character, bar none. At the end of Morrowind, you can't even be sure that he's actually gone for good. You just broke his ability to manifest by destroying the Heart of Lorkan. He's probably the most fleshed out of any antagonist as well.

Dagoth is interesting because he died before becoming a god. Therefore from the start he is a resurrection.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

That dialogue would never fly today
eKwKl.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yagrum Bagarn the Last Living Dwarf should also be a contender for best Elder Scrolls character, and not only because of his steampunk spider legs:
  • Greetings:
    • "You're here for the Dwemer boots. Tell my gracious Keeper that I have done what I could. Only a Dwemer magecrafter could have done so much. But only idiots could have created these boots. It shames my race that we must be judged by the works of such lack-wit blunderers."
    • "So. It's you again. What brings you to visit Yagrum Bagarn, Master Crafter, and Last Living Dwarf?"
  • bleak existence: "Since the disappearance of the Dwarves, I have been alone in this world, trapped in this grim prison. I can scarcely move. And my fellow inmates are scarcely good company. The risk of corprus disease deters most visitors. But if you meet with cultivated minds undaunted by the terrors of the Corprusarium, you might mention your recent interview with the Last Living Dwarf."
  • Disappearance of the Dwarves: "Hmm.... I cannot say what happened. I was not there to observe. I was in an Outer Realm at the time, and when I came back, my people were gone. I left Red Mountain, wandering Tamriel for years, searching our deserted colonies, looking for a survivor or an explanation. Then, a long, long time ago, I returned to Red Mountain, still looking for answers. Instead, I found corprus disease, and I have been here ever since. I have theories, if you are interested."
  • Dwemer boots:
    • [Dwemer Boots of Flying has been added to your inventory.] "Lord Fyr obtained these enchanted Dwemer boots from an unfortunate thief. And, given the quality of their craftsmanship, little wonder the fellow came a bad end. But I can do nothing for them. The fundamental enchantment is flawed. Might as well start over again... if such a pair of boots could still be fashioned in these benighted latter days. But I have done my best. Take them to Lord Fyr, with my sincere apologies."
  • gracious keeper: "I owe my life to Lord Fyr. He took me in when I was a mad monster, out of my mind. In time, I emerged from my dementia, and now I am quite lucid most of the time, though my body is still a grotesque and useless prison. And I still have some feeble hope of cure. Lord Fyr has tried many spells and potions. None have helped me, but neither have they harmed me. If anyone can cure this disease, Lord Fyr can."
  • Last Living Dwarf: "This is how I style myself. I do not know for a fact that I am the last. But in my travels thousands of years ago. I never encountered another. And since I have been here, I often ask Lord Fyr, but he says he has never heard a credible rumor of another Dwemer, on Tamriel, or in any Outer Realm."
  • my race: "Once I was a Master Crafter in the service of Lord Kagrenac, chief architect of the great Second Empire freeholds, and the greatest enchanter of his time. I could not match the genius of Lord Kagrenac, but what he could envision, I and my colleagues could build. All of that is gone forever. I still retain my cunning, but my hands and eyes fail me, and my memories have long faded. My only consolation is each day to mock the gods who destroyed my race, and condemned me to this bleak existence."
  • theories: "Lord Kagrenac, the foremost arcane philosopher and magecrafter of my era, devised tools to shape mythopoeic forces, intending to transcend the limits of Dwemer mortality. However, in reviewing his formulae, some logicians argued that side effects were unpredictable, and errors might be catastrophic. I think Kagrenac might have succeeded in granting our race eternal life, with unforeseen consequences -- such as wholesale displacement to an Outer Realm. Or he may have erred, and utterly destroyed our race."
  • unique dwemer artifact: "Do you know what this is? This is Wraithguard, an enchanted device created ages ago by my former master, High Craftlord Kagrenac, a long-dead Dwemer mage-smith. I believe it is one of the tools he created to forge mythopoeic enchantments. I was one of Lord Kagrenac's Master Crafters, and though I didn't work on this project, I knew of it from my fellow mage-smiths."

768px-MW-creature-Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yagrum Bagarn the Last Living Dwarf should also be a contender for best Elder Scrolls character, and not only because of his steampunk spider legs:
  • Greetings:
    • "You're here for the Dwemer boots. Tell my gracious Keeper that I have done what I could. Only a Dwemer magecrafter could have done so much. But only idiots could have created these boots. It shames my race that we must be judged by the works of such lack-wit blunderers."
    • "So. It's you again. What brings you to visit Yagrum Bagarn, Master Crafter, and Last Living Dwarf?"
  • bleak existence: "Since the disappearance of the Dwarves, I have been alone in this world, trapped in this grim prison. I can scarcely move. And my fellow inmates are scarcely good company. The risk of corprus disease deters most visitors. But if you meet with cultivated minds undaunted by the terrors of the Corprusarium, you might mention your recent interview with the Last Living Dwarf."
  • Disappearance of the Dwarves: "Hmm.... I cannot say what happened. I was not there to observe. I was in an Outer Realm at the time, and when I came back, my people were gone. I left Red Mountain, wandering Tamriel for years, searching our deserted colonies, looking for a survivor or an explanation. Then, a long, long time ago, I returned to Red Mountain, still looking for answers. Instead, I found corprus disease, and I have been here ever since. I have theories, if you are interested."
  • Dwemer boots:
    • [Dwemer Boots of Flying has been added to your inventory.] "Lord Fyr obtained these enchanted Dwemer boots from an unfortunate thief. And, given the quality of their craftsmanship, little wonder the fellow came a bad end. But I can do nothing for them. The fundamental enchantment is flawed. Might as well start over again... if such a pair of boots could still be fashioned in these benighted latter days. But I have done my best. Take them to Lord Fyr, with my sincere apologies."
  • gracious keeper: "I owe my life to Lord Fyr. He took me in when I was a mad monster, out of my mind. In time, I emerged from my dementia, and now I am quite lucid most of the time, though my body is still a grotesque and useless prison. And I still have some feeble hope of cure. Lord Fyr has tried many spells and potions. None have helped me, but neither have they harmed me. If anyone can cure this disease, Lord Fyr can."
  • Last Living Dwarf: "This is how I style myself. I do not know for a fact that I am the last. But in my travels thousands of years ago. I never encountered another. And since I have been here, I often ask Lord Fyr, but he says he has never heard a credible rumor of another Dwemer, on Tamriel, or in any Outer Realm."
  • my race: "Once I was a Master Crafter in the service of Lord Kagrenac, chief architect of the great Second Empire freeholds, and the greatest enchanter of his time. I could not match the genius of Lord Kagrenac, but what he could envision, I and my colleagues could build. All of that is gone forever. I still retain my cunning, but my hands and eyes fail me, and my memories have long faded. My only consolation is each day to mock the gods who destroyed my race, and condemned me to this bleak existence."
  • theories: "Lord Kagrenac, the foremost arcane philosopher and magecrafter of my era, devised tools to shape mythopoeic forces, intending to transcend the limits of Dwemer mortality. However, in reviewing his formulae, some logicians argued that side effects were unpredictable, and errors might be catastrophic. I think Kagrenac might have succeeded in granting our race eternal life, with unforeseen consequences -- such as wholesale displacement to an Outer Realm. Or he may have erred, and utterly destroyed our race."
  • unique dwemer artifact: "Do you know what this is? This is Wraithguard, an enchanted device created ages ago by my former master, High Craftlord Kagrenac, a long-dead Dwemer mage-smith. I believe it is one of the tools he created to forge mythopoeic enchantments. I was one of Lord Kagrenac's Master Crafters, and though I didn't work on this project, I knew of it from my fellow mage-smiths."

768px-MW-creature-Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg

I wonder what kind of voice does the AI mod use for him

Losus4

Literate
Yngvar Doom-Sayer - https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Yngvar_Doom-Sayer

He's the topless Nord who wanders the Shivering Isles talking about the end times, he is the author of the in-game book The Predecessors, which speaks of it. Speaking to him it's clear he's at peace with the coming apocalypse and spends his time wandering the land killing stuff with his warhammer.

Hellion

Arcane
Voryn Dagoth, Lord of the Sixth House and the Tribe Unmourned, is the easy choice.

Followed by the King of Worms before Oblivion took this awesomeness:

DF-npc-King_of_Worms.png

...and turned it into... whatever the hell this is:

600px-OB-npc-Mannimarco.jpg

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Voryn Dagoth, Lord of the Sixth House and the Tribe Unmourned, is the easy choice.
I always thought the "Tribe Unmourned" were the Dwemer, and he mentions them both in the same line because they got screwed at the same time.
The tribe unmourned always refers to the sixth house as they were destroyed and forcibly reabsorbed into other houses hence the title. It's definitely a reflection of bitterness Dagoth had to both the great houses and the tribunal.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I always thought the "Tribe Unmourned" were the Dwemer, and he mentions them both in the same line because they got screwed at the same time.
Dagoth was betrayed, but so was Nerevar by Almalexia, Vivec and Sotha Sil. They acquired their divinity from Lorkhan's Heart.
Dagoth was loyal to Nerevar.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The tribe unmourned always refers to the sixth house as they were destroyed and forcibly reabsorbed into other houses hence the title. It's definitely a reflection of bitterness Dagoth had to both the great houses and the tribunal.
Keep in mind that those five houses were also screwing over the Dwemer, as they had a treaty at the time. My memory might be foggy on this, but I believe that's why they decided to activate the Numidium when they did, because of the way the Battle of Red Mountain was going. Of course, the "Tribe Unmourned" could also be the Chimer, since Azura changed them in to Dunmer at this time too.
Dagoth was betrayed, but so was Nerevar by Almalexia, Vivec and Sotha Sil. They acquired their divinity from Lorkhan's Heart.
There's a bit of lore differences on the subject of Red Mountain, which is most likely Bethesda being fast and loose with their lore, or it could be "unreliable narrator". There's also the fact that Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil lied their asses off about what happened on Red Mountain which is evident by the visages of Nerevar all over Morrowind. They were basically gods, but allowed the Nerevar mythos to continue and even embraced it. About the only thing we know for sure is that the Chimer/Dunmer were going to screw over the Dwemer and the Five Houses screwed over Nevevar and Dagoth Ur, then covered it all up.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Keep in mind that those five houses were also screwing over the Dwemer, as they had a treaty at the time. My memory might be foggy on this, but I believe that's why they decided to activate the Numidium when they did, because of the way the Battle of Red Mountain was going. Of course, the "Tribe Unmourned" could also be the Chimer, since Azura changed them in to Dunmer at this time too.
There's a bit of lore differences on the subject of Red Mountain, which is most likely Bethesda being fast and loose with their lore, or it could be "unreliable narrator". There's also the fact that Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil lied their asses off about what happened on Red Mountain which is evident by the visages of Nerevar all over Morrowind. They were basically gods, but allowed the Nerevar mythos to continue and even embraced it. About the only thing we know for sure is that the Chimer/Dunmer were going to screw over the Dwemer and the Five Houses screwed over Nevevar and Dagoth Ur, then covered it all up.
The Dwemer offended the Chimer with their practices and complete lack of faith. They were treading on dangerous ground and attempted to achieve divinity themselves by tampering with the heart of Lorkhan. They were blasphemers in the eyes of the Chimer, once allies, and war soon followed.
No one really knows what even happened to the Dwemer, not even Yagrum Bagarn, the last living Dwemer.
The betrayal of the Tribunal also led to Azura cursing the Chimer, turning their skin ashen and eyes like fire, hence turning them into the Dunmer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom