Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Something I don't get..
GUI's sharp, portraits & the party are blurry, the area artwork is pixelated...
Open the screenshot at 100% to see what I mean.

Is that because somebody zoomed in before taking the screenshot?

02.png

The game has been zoomed in and lacks any blur filters. The "black outline" option is activated, which means characters are also slightly blurry. The UI has been completely redesigned, but the portraits are still those from the vanilla game, with a blur on top because of poor video quality. The actual release has pixel sharp portraits. They should have redone those too, IMO.

Deleted Member 16721

I rarely play games that are more expensive to begin with, minus the recent Kickstarter RPGs. Before that I'd say Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur were my last 2 $60 games I bought on day one. PS:T:EE will also be a rarity for me as I plan on buying it and playing it on the first day.

Tigranes

Arcane
Beamdog liked my friend's tweet about IWD2:EE being the next logical step after PS:T:EE. IWD2:EE confirmed?! :D

Beamdog also tweeted me that they are committed to bringing Siege of Dragonspear to Android. This means when it releases, you could co-op the entire series + SoD with cross-platform multiplayer. S'nice. :)

Of course IWD2:EE is coming, these dipshits can't make a real game to save their life. All they know is raking in cash fucking with old games, putting some stickers on them then calling up their industry friends.

Even Cleve's indiegogo campaign took chumps' money for the promise of a real, new game. This is just a merry-go-round of idiot test on how much you deserve to have your money fleeced from you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is a fairly random aside, but it strikes me as really weird that we wind up knowing so much about the writers and even the composer and voice actors behind PS:T and so little about the artists. The game's visuals are fantastic and there's no way the game would've made nearly the same impression without them, but I have literally no idea who did the concepts or the execution, and when I look it up on Mobygames, the name Tim Donley means nothing. It's kind of sad that the industry maintains such a blindspot.
https://videogamesandthebible.com/2...tim-donley-lead-artist-of-planescape-torment/

Doing pixel art for a schmup right now.. it actually looks pretty good.

PEACH

Arbiter
I think it's because you guys secretly love me but are afraid of appearing uncool to admit it. Either that or I will rise up the list naturally in time. :D

As a wise man once said, "It's fluent's world, we just live in it"

ArchAngel

Arcane
I like it how that "fluent" retard guy got absolutely nothing to say about Underail, huge game that you can play for hundreds of hours and it still costs less then this EE abomination.
Oh also what "thousands of improvements" is he even on about???
Don't ever expect him to have anything to say. This is same retard that never played Fallout 1 and 2 but spent hundreds of hours playing Bethesda shit. He should be removed from all his gaming equipment and those sent to poor people in Africa, I am sure the pirates there have more sense than him.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I like it how that "fluent" retard guy got absolutely nothing to say about Underail, huge game that you can play for hundreds of hours and it still costs less then this EE abomination.
Don't ever expect him to have anything to say. This is same retard that never played Fallout 1 and 2 but spent hundreds of hours playing Bethesda shit. He should be removed from all his gaming equipment and those sent to poor people in Africa, I am sure the pirates there have more sense than him.

You're gonna be sorry when you get hacked by said pirates :stupid:

ArchAngel

Arcane

You're gonna be sorry when you get hacked by said pirates :stupid:
Nah, they will be busy figuring out how to connect Fluent's Shield to Fluent's 4k monitor :D

agris

Arcane
Patron
In fact I recently spent way more time than I care to admit trying to get Anachronox running at 60 FPS in widescreen 4K. Took me awhile and I figured it out, posted to help someone with the same issue on the Steam forum. But how many reasonable people will spend 3 days trying to get something like that working? Probably not many.
Did you eat a lot of paint as a child?

I googled "anachronox widescreen" and on the first page got these:
You must be independently wealthy to waste such a large amount of time on problems that are so easy to resolve. :salute:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Something I don't get..
GUI's sharp, portraits & the party are blurry, the area artwork is pixelated...
Open the screenshot at 100% to see what I mean.

Is that because somebody zoomed in before taking the screenshot?

02.png
They've set an aggressive minimum zoom on the map to minimize the amount of black borders seen by players. This means the maps are pixelated because they weren't intended to be displayed at whatever the desktop resolution is in this image (a problem the widescreen mod didn't have because it only changed the viewport and UI resolution, didn't zoom) and the character sprites look like shit because of the black outline previously mentioned and the beamdog zoom filter which makes a blurry mess of them, because that is somehow better than just displaying them with pixelation (nearest neighbor / linear / etc).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/03/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition.html

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Livestream with Chris Avellone

On April 3rd, 4 PM PDT we go live on Twitch with the one and only Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape: Torment and now Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. Beamdog’s Lead Producer Phillip Daigle, will be joining Chris for an evening of RPG fun where we show off classic Planescape locations alongside all the new improvements that PST:EE has to offer.

The PST:EE team will be in the chat to answer your questions and give away prizes as Chris Avellone talks about his experience on Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition and the original Planescape: Torment.

Can’t wait for the stream? Check out www.planescape.com for all the latest Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition details!

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
They've set an aggressive minimum zoom on the map to minimize the amount of black borders seen by players. This means the maps are pixelated because they weren't intended to be displayed at whatever the desktop resolution is in this image (a problem the widescreen mod didn't have because it only changed the viewport and UI resolution, didn't zoom) and the character sprites look like shit because of the black outline previously mentioned and the beamdog zoom filter which makes a blurry mess of them, because that is somehow better than just displaying them with pixelation (nearest neighbor / linear / etc).
The pic by aVENGER with the new visual settings turned off seem to show otherwise. I've never actually touched any of the EE versions so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Deleted Member 16721

Did you eat a lot of paint as a child?

I googled "anachronox widescreen" and on the first page got these:
You must be independently wealthy to waste such a large amount of time on problems that are so easy to resolve. :salute:

I ate a bit of paint as a child, but no more than the typical kid did in the late '80s and early '90s. I swear. :)

The point I was making was that not everything goes smoothly when trying to delve into a modding related question or issue. I was getting all sorts of weird errors that I had to sort through. Eventually I had to get an OpenGL wrapper to run the game at a smooth 60 FPS. The FPS strangely dipped in certain areas and I generally like playing at full 60 FPS.

So uh, what were we talking about? Oh, Beamdog. Yeah, thankfully they make EEs so we don't have to mess with unnecessary mods. Pure win. :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
The pic by aVENGER with the new visual settings turned off seem to show otherwise. I've never actually touched any of the EE versions so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, because the screenshot he provided has a map with dimensions (pixels) that are greater than the desktop resolution of the player, thus the minimum zoom I mention not being needed. All screenshots on large maps not zoomed in will look great because of this.. aside from the ant-effect, but when we see zoom or maps that are smaller than the desktop resolution, it starts to look bad.

Gee, it's almost as if control of the game's resolution would be a positive solution to this...

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Playing the game now. I just want to say that I am not worthy of this game. It looks gorgeous. It sounds gorgeous. Oh, man. Must contain myself. :)

I wonder if I'm allowed to livestream the game now? The NDA ended March 28th, I think.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So uh, what were we talking about? Oh, Beamdog. Yeah, thankfully they make EEs so we don't have to mess with unnecessary mods. Pure win. :)

Agree. Let the butthurt grognards rate our posts with "Retard" and "decline", they can play their outdated and clunky RPG while we play Beamdog's latest masterpiece.

I for one welcome our EE overlords.

purpleblob

Savant

Agree. Let the butthurt grognards rate our posts with "Retard" and "decline", they can play their outdated and clunky RPG while we play Beamdog's latest masterpiece.

OK, so apparently adding some mediocre "enhancements" qualifies for masterpiece now?

Let me fix that up for you. Originals qualify as masterpiece. Beamdog's enhacements bring those masterpieces into mediocre quality. If you think Beamdog is creating masterpiece then all those IE mods out there should be considered masterpieces too - and even better cause they are free. Wow, didn't know any average joes can now qualify as masterpieces.

Deleted Member 16721

Same here. Although I wouldn't really call them overlords as that gives a negative, tyrannical connotation. They are just your friendly neighborhood Enhancers. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom