Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So not ruining something as bad as they could've ruined it is somehow a laudable act that should be rewarded, now? Can I get a reward for every person I'm not murdering right now? When I shit in your mailbox, can I get a cashier's check for not also throwing up in it or trashing it with a bat? For every line of Twilight fanfic I'm not writing, can I get an unenthusiastic blowjob from Keira Knightley? I didn't ruin a single game on my way to work today, so by that logic, I should get millions more than Beamcuck.

Think you missed the important part about someone specific being involved.

Deleted Member 16721

Look... there is one fucking file you need to download. One. It's here. It has a nice graphical interface just for you and it does everything you'll ever need. Just click forward a couple of times. It can't be that hard, can it?

Oh yes, that looks incredibly user friendly! I can see all the teenagers and millennials carefully researching and figuring out which boxes to check and uncheck and what each one of them does! Oh wait, no, that would not happen. :D

I've done nerding with mods and computer BS to a much higher extent than that, and I am telling you that I appreciate convenience nowadays. While I still dig into teh interwebz to figure things out when necessary, when a developer does it for you, even better. Unless you get a weird enjoyment out of trying to make a mod or game setting work correctly in an old game, which is a possibility.

syllopsium

Educated
Avenger, I have a question : has EAX support been brought forward to the new engine on any platform? PS:T contained EAX v1 which only ever worked under XP, and not with the Alchemy EAX to DirectSound layer Creative Labs produced. I'm presuming the answer is no, but a yes would be very welcome.

RPS have reviewed PSTEE now, mostly a positive review, biggest criticism being that it doesn't look so good zoomed in on a 4K monitor : https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/29/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition-review/

Edit : Oh yeah, for all the 'there's nothing new' crowd. Try running the original version on a non Windows platform, it'd require faffing with WINE or GemRB, neither of which are perfect.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh yes, that looks incredibly user friendly! I can see all the teenagers and millennials carefully researching and figuring out which boxes to check and uncheck and what each one of them does! Oh wait, no, that would not happen. :D
That thing has options. The Beamdog installer doesn't have options. This will be all too confusing for him.
I understand that concern. Like I said, in case you're confused by options, just click forward and everything wil be all right. The installer has a safe set of mods preselected.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, you're done with that nowadays, you have more important things to focus on, like umm... living with your parents and just wasting oxygen all day long. I can see why you would want more convenience.

Deleted Member 16721

Didn't say I was done with it. In fact I recently spent way more time than I care to admit trying to get Anachronox running at 60 FPS in widescreen 4K. Took me awhile and I figured it out, posted to help someone with the same issue on the Steam forum. But how many reasonable people will spend 3 days trying to get something like that working? Probably not many.

I don't think the changes are worth the price.

Then again what could they do to jew some money from this game? Making new characters? Barely worked ( not really ) on a game which had much shallower companions. Write new lines for the existing ones, new quests? Doubt they can do it on a decent level. Restore broken content? Guess they could.

As it is it's a overpriced mod ( there are free ones who do much more), but as i don't expect anything good plot wise from Beamdog it's the lesser evil.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I'd throw 5 bucks over to Chris for his planescape text mod, but giving money to Beamdog is a nonstarter and all the other additions are either pointless or already achieved or surpassed by existing mods.

Thanks to Chris and aVenger for not letting them cock up the content at least.

Now, I know some of you foolishly plan to give Beamdog money for this, so lets get started by forming an orderly line into the shower, please identify yourselves and place any eyewear or gold teeth you may have into the baskets provided.

Also I move that fluent be beheaded immediately.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I should set up a fucking Patreon for this. Every day I get paid 10k, I promise I won't do something awful.

You're fucking inconsistent with your rants man. You were the guy iirc, who was slamming inXile for kicking a key person out the door, highlighting to some extent just how brutal the absence of one integral person can leave a project fractured.

Now you're acting like (while on a smaller scale) it makes no difference when someone at Beamdog suddenly focuses on getting a key person involved and doing an authentic re-release for once, it's not even worth a second glance.

Good Old Games said:
The Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.

I have never paid for a Beamdog release, because I never saw any point. But getting an official stamp for once, and only leaving major changes to the original creator, is worth the meagre price of $14 to me this time.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

5 bucks for thousands of corrections over the course of a year+? You are really too generous. :)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
5 bucks for thousands of corrections over the course of a year+? You are really too generous. :)

https://af.gog.com/game/underrail?as=1649904300

An entire huge game over the course of... 5 (?) years. How much should that cost according to you? Because apparently Beamdog consider their mod worth 5 dollars more than that.

Thousands of corrections over the course of a year! My god! Amazing stuff, really, considering how others did most of those for free and Beamdog just got the approval to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Considering you get an actual, ya know, functioning developer supporting the game, I'd say $20 is a fine price point. Unless you plan on emailing Black Isle with any of your customer support issues or concerns. :)

Gunnar

Arbiter

Yeah, it'd be a nice tight little DLC you could price at $4.99, support the original creator directly, instead of having to pay $20 for unnecessary bloat to Beamdog. It would be well worth it for Avellone I'm sure, but it could never happen.

Deleted Member 16721

DLC for an ancient RPG that isn't even being supported until Beamdog came along? Mmk. And when GOG gets a bunch of complaints about this bug, that bug and the inevitable "ZOMG I can't play in widescreen WTF GOG?!" emails, who is going to be handling that? Chris? :lol:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder what corrections mca did. Pst didn't have many typos. Or, well, they were removed by mods.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'd say $20 is a fine price point.

Based on what?

I just linked you to a game that costs $15.

If you think Beamdog can ask $20 for a year of work (generous when saying copy/pasting mods made by other people is work) then would you agree that Underrail could cost $100? Would you pay that? It even has a functioning developer supporting the game.

Funny how now you resorted to "support". Just drowning yourself in your own shit.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
$20 dollars, plus a discount if you own the original, and they aren't rewriting anything or fucking with the format? That's perfectly reasonable, some of you are just being fucking grognards.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't think length of development = automatic higher price point. But I am also in favor of developers pricing their games however they want. Ember, for example, at $9.99 is a steal. Other games not so much.

If Skyrim were made in 6 months secretly and you didn't know it, would it matter? Should it be sold for $5 then?

$20 for an updated/upgraded CRPG for me is a no-brainer. But we'll just be going in circles at this point. I value what Beamdog does, you don't. Fine. Don't buy the game.

Deleted Member 16721

And I know of classic music albums that were recorded and finished in a week. Some even in a single day. Should those cost 10 cents because they took less time to create? Any reasonable person would laugh at that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't think length of development = automatic higher price point.

You just said this a couple of posts back:

5 bucks for thousands of corrections over the course of a year+? You are really too generous.

Too stupid to even be consistent.

If Skyrim were made in 6 months secretly and you didn't know it, would it matter? Should it be sold for $5 then?

Assuming I'd buy Bethesda garbage, if it was made in 6 months you'd know it was made in 6 months and it would probably not be worth more than $5.
Unless you were "fluent" and completely fucking retarded.

$20 for an updated/upgraded CRPG for me is a no-brainer.

Well, yes, because you have none.

Deleted Member 16721

Beamdog liked my friend's tweet about IWD2:EE being the next logical step after PS:T:EE. IWD2:EE confirmed?! :D

Beamdog also tweeted me that they are committed to bringing Siege of Dragonspear to Android. This means when it releases, you could co-op the entire series + SoD with cross-platform multiplayer. S'nice. :)

Deleted Member 16721

You wouldn't know if a game was made in 6 months or 6 years if the team behind it threw enough money at it. Bethesda in theory could quadruple the size of their team and reduce the development time by the same amount.

Jeff Vogel has a good talk he gave about price points in indie RPGs. While it's far from a hard science it is an interesting talk to listen to. In this case it's not exactly the same as what Beamdog is doing. But value is whatever someone is willing to pay for something, really. I'll happily pay $20 for this and I know many others will, too. If it were $60, maybe not. If someone wants to buy Richard Garriott's blood for $5k or whatever, then that's something of that value to them. The bottom line is that I don't find an Enhanced Edition with many good and useful upgrades selling at $20 to be offensive to me. I think it's pretty much the perfect pricepoint for such a project.

t

Arcane
Patron
Come on guys. Obviously stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Is inclusion of mods in the actual installer worth $20? For some people it will be. We can laugh at them but we can't forbid them from throwing their money into the dirt.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Come on guys. Obviously stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Is inclusion of mods in the actual installer worth $20? For some people it will be. We can laugh at them but we can't forbid them from throwing their money into the dirt.

Can't we do both?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom