Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Oesophagus

Arcane
LRJonM.bmp
: "<charname>, I need you to remind my shattered soul what it means to love"
fixd

Stabwound

Arcane
Update: Beamdog reps tell us that the team at Overhaul is adding "new, original content" to the original game to make up the Enhanced Edition. "This is the Enhanced Edition, it's not a repackage. We have the original source code and are doing a significant update," a rep said. He also confirmed that no platforms have been announced just yet.
Is that bad or good? You decide.

Using original source = good.

The new shit = bad.

That's my take.

It's not necessarily bad if they leave the Infinity Engine in a state that the existing mods still work with it, depending on what exactly they do to it. Aw fuck it, you know it's going to be terrible.

Xzar

Augur
New stuff is good as long as its good. How good it is we shall see. But more roleplay options for evil players, in BG2 especially, should be nice.

mkultra

Augur
Update: Beamdog reps tell us that the team at Overhaul is adding "new, original content" to the original game to make up the Enhanced Edition. "This is the Enhanced Edition, it's not a repackage. We have the original source code and are doing a significant update," a rep said. He also confirmed that no platforms have been announced just yet.
Is that bad or good? You decide.

Using original source = good.

The new shit = bad.

Not really since they've said they've looked at mods, so that's probably "the new shit" or at least inspired by it.

Linkamus

Educated
I am dreading them making the battles easier all of a sudden... I really hope they don't do that.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't see adding a little content to BG1 as being such a terrible thing. Frankly, there were a lot of wilderness areas with barely anything in them but monsters that could stand to be fleshed out a bit. As long as they don't screw with the core game too much, and don't make it some sort of 4e crapfest, I see the attention being paid to classic RPGs as a positive thing.

The BG series is one of my favorites, so I hope they at least buy it a nice dress after they're done fucking it, so to speak.

Stabwound

Arcane
It looks like they're going to release screens next week at this time. I guess they've been working on it for a while?

Not that overhauling the graphics of a game you have the complete source to is a time-intensive job, I guess.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, WoTC did recently re-print choice 1st edition AD&D books after a long "only the latest D&D version is supported" pause... So there's even a chance they'll leave the AD&D (yes, 2nd ed, I know) mechanics in place and avoid "upgrading" them...

But yes, I estimate the chance of this being something that "doesn't screw the core game too much" instead of a cheap attempt to cash in on existing brand value blah blah at... ~1%. Let them reveal some actual info, and let the rage flow...

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, new details from Trent:

-There will be both BG1 & BG2 enhanced, including all expansions.
-It uses a tweaked version of the Infinity Engine used in ToB
-Therefore has all of the ToB classes and spells, etc. I wonder if he knows that this sort of unbalanced BG1?

I have to say that I'm cautiously optimistic now that I see he's doing the entire series. Please don't fucking ruin it. PLEASE.

Oesophagus

Arcane
If all they're doing is updating the graphics and adding some new content then I guess it's not a bad way to go. It's just with all the hype and trolling they generated, you'd expect something more than a re-release.

Ok now that I've come down from the table and wiped the froth from my mouth, I'll play the extremely cautious wait-and-see approach.

Monocause

Arcane
The classes issue is trivial - they can just make it an option for you to switch into a subclass from your primary class at BG2 defined entry level for that class (iirc it was lvl 7 for most of the classes).

I think I'll withhold interest until the devs release a feature list. If it's going to just be a graphical update then meh, the games didn't really need one, IE games age really nicely with the exception of the 640x480 locked ones.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
A modernized Baldur's Gate series, plus both Wasteland 2 and Double Fine's new adventure being successfully crowdsourced.. all in the same year? Crossing my fingers, but this might be a sign of good things to come.:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom