Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Beastro

Arcane
No thanks I don't want to play this glorification of a butchery that affected my great grandfathers.

Funny thing is they didn't have to do much to have it not give off that sick feeling, yet the had to dial up the awesome epicness feels.

That's the grossest part. You don't just turn the most awful armed conflict in history into an epic railroad power trip. Power tripping is the last thing those conscripts felt while rolling in the mud all day long.

Worst armed conflict? One of the worst, but WWII takes the cake.

Which goes back to how franchises like BF and CoD started out as games soberly dealing with WWII, consciously trying to find a balance between being fun games and not treating what happened with an adolescent mentality.

With that said a Red Orchestra game set in WWI would be really fun, at least that franchise has enough ground mechanics to make adapting WWI style combat into it just a matter of time. A lot of the old RO1 maps were pure infantry in trench combat with 90% of people using bolt action rifles already.

You mean you'd like to play Verdun?

If I was still into FPS' I might take a peek at that. Way my health is these days I'm largely stuck with strategy games and others I can pause on the fly so my mind has time to catch up.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
trailer has 5 million views in 10 hours, seems they hit the jackpot.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well to be fair, if it's not total bullshit popamole (and it will be) even I'm mildly interested. AAA-level WW1 games are, well, let's say uncommon. It's something different, at the very least.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
No thanks I don't want to play this glorification of a butchery that affected my great grandfathers.

Funny thing is they didn't have to do much to have it not give off that sick feeling, yet the had to dial up the awesome epicness feels.

That's the grossest part. You don't just turn the most awful armed conflict in history into an epic railroad power trip. Power tripping is the last thing those conscripts felt while rolling in the mud all day long.

Worst armed conflict? One of the worst, but WWII takes the cake.

I don't know, WW1 has always had a grittier feel than WW2 for me. Chemical warfare, unglamorous rotting away in trenches, no clear side to peg down as instigators/"villains".

Just the fact that the horror of total war on such a scale and with such new and creative ways to butcher one another broke out of an age of massive prosperity in Europe is in itself chilling.

Historical pointless all out butchery usually makes for poor entertainment. Probably why people shy away from the setting usually, but I guess after a dozen or so installments you need some kind of gimmick.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol butthurt in dis thread.

I love it.

Personally gonna play the shit out of this. Looks fantastic. Let's see the gameplay in the coming months. WWI is a really exciting setting, as not many games have been done in this way.

It's a sure sign of cretinism if you're unable to perceive the downwards trajectory that Dice has been on since BF2.

And while the titles that came after, while being weak in certain aspects, managed to compensate in other areas in order to become good games, BF4 was the culmination of the talent drop-off and embodied everything that can go wrong for a multiplayer FPS - from idiotic level design and non-existent weapon balance to randomised unlocks and martial law approach to community servers.

It is a possibility that with a new setting they will finally realise that less is more, but their new Battlefront pretty much nips that in the bud.

Beastro

Arcane
Chemical warfare, unglamorous rotting away in trenches, no clear side to peg down as instigators/"villains".

Industrialized genocide in WWII weighes out over chems in my book.

The mud and blood is way over-focused on only appear in very late 1916 and even then limted to very active areas like are Ypres until well into 1917.

Not at first, but something changed in the German character during the war, it began with Leuven and by Operation Micel German leaders were wanting concessions to incorporate into their empire ranging from Belgium to the Caspian.

Just the fact that the horror of total war on such a scale and with such new and creative ways to butcher one another broke out of an age of massive prosperity in Europe is in itself chilling.

WWII had as many new creative ways, not to mention the dark, deliberately ways to dispose of civilians en mass. That also doesn't touch upon the fact that new creative ways to killing people was the hallmark of the Victorian/Edwardian period.

Historical pointless all out butchery usually makes for poor entertainment. Probably why people shy away from the setting usually, but I guess after a dozen or so installments you need some kind of gimmick.

It's a very British and European view that is puzzling to Americans, Canadians and Australians. We lack the maudlin view of WWI and are able to better see the reasons and good that was done, namely as I mention, stopping a Germany that had suddenly found itself very much liking the idea of running all over Europe once things got started.

There was hope, there were points, but many are (rightly nonetheless) focused on all that was lost, which was effectively the beginning of the end of Western civilization and Britain and Europe's relevancy.

The ultimate irony I find in the war is how nasty it's looked upon, and yet it's the most "fair" matched war in history and is the example of why fair fights in war are terrible, create gridlock and are unsatisfying. IMO, it's for that reason it leaves such a bitter taste and I roll my eyes when people today whine about shit like proportional responses and other crap when the shorter and bloodier a war is the more lives are ultimately saved not to mention the misery made brief.

Perkel

Arcane
Why would anyone play this when Planetside 2 is still alive and actually delivers warfare in proper scale that doesn't look like clusterfuck.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Is this confirmed to have a proper story campaign too, or just some losely interconnected skirmish missions?
There will be a "cinematic" story campaign, but you'll be playing as different characters on various fronts. The story won't follow the same squad from start to finish like in BF4

But nobody cares about Battlefield in single player, so why do you ask?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's a very British and European view that is puzzling to Americans, Canadians and Australians. We lack the maudlin view of WWI and are able to better see the reasons and good that was done, namely as I mention, stopping a Germany that had suddenly found itself very much liking the idea of running all over Europe once things got started.

There was hope, there were points, but many are (rightly nonetheless) focused on all that was lost, which was effectively the beginning of the end of Western civilization and Britain and Europe's relevancy.

The ultimate irony I find in the war is how nasty it's looked upon, and yet it's the most "fair" matched war in history and is the example of why fair fights in war are terrible, create gridlock and are unsatisfying. IMO, it's for that reason it leaves such a bitter taste and I roll my eyes when people today whine about shit like proportional responses and other crap when the shorter and bloodier a war is the more lives are ultimately saved not to mention the misery made brief.

I don't know, Verdun and Somme were horrible and endless meatgrinders that pushed human endurance to such limits that it changed French and British society psychologically to this day and age. WW1 also prompted a major wealth transfer from Britain to New York. The Americans made a killing (so to speak).
WW2, while more lethal in it's totality, didn't even come close to the horrible experiences of the major battles of WW1 western front. Kwans wouldn't understand, and it's tasteless to scoff at it.

I'm still surprised they are making a game in this setting. Didn't see any country flags in the trailer either, perhaps it's still vaguely alternate history to avoid butthurt.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is this confirmed to have a proper story campaign too, or just some losely interconnected skirmish missions?
There will be a "cinematic" story campaign, but you'll be playing as different characters on various fronts. The story won't follow the same squad from start to finish like in BF4

But nobody cares about Battlefield in single player, so why do you ask?

Because I don't care about multiplayer but am still interested in the setting and what they do with it.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I wish, they would add a German campaign for the Glory of the Kaiser (including first submarines, Zeppelins, the Dicke Bertha, flamethrowers, etc.), meet young Adolf delivering mail between trenches, fly alongside Immelmann, Richthofen, Boelcke, Göring...

But no, instead of the cool stuff, we'll play a squad of Afro-Americans because of political correctness and stuff...

Nonetheless, the setting is great and I am looking forward to correct the historical mistake of losing the 1st world war because of a bunch of communist traitors at home.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Maybe that's what they used before they invented combat knives?

Knives are shit tier melee weapons.... They had knives, bayonets some as long as "short swords", they just arent very practical melee weapons, especially
in very close combat. A shovel will be used as an: Axe, Club, Shield & and of course entrechning tool.
Heard of those people that got stabbed 80 times? A mace wont get stuck in you enemies belly.

"But the bayonet has practically lost its importance. It is usually the fashion now to charge with bombs and spades only. The sharpened spade is a more handy and many-sided weapon; not only can it be used for jabbing a man under the chin, but it is much better for striking with because of its greater weight; and if one hits between the neck and shoulder it easily cleaves as far down as the chest"

"a man has to kick hard on the other fellow's belly to pull it out again; and in the interval he may easily get one himself"

--Remarque

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_raiding_club

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like the big anti-tank rifle is in the game :)

B1KuHqI.jpg

Pic from my earlier post:

cCk9dSH.jpg

I know what I will be using if I get the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom