Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Soulcucker

Savant
AnotherIgnorantBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif

Wish the trailer would have shown more actual gameplay rather than just saying in game engine, though this sequence looked nice.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how clever and smug Activision must have felt when they decided that they go to space with the new CoD. And BF smashed them with their WW1 setting.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shame it will be a sniper fest like all other modern Battlefields.

Yeah, except ever since BF3 the recon has been the least useful class that's been repeatedly asked to be buffed by the community.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Last Battlefield I played was 1943, skipped 3 and 4. Time to return.

The destruction of everything sounds too good to be true.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to like BF 2. Then BG WIUEFIU 2 or whatever it was called. I tried BF3. I tried BF 4. All of them are boring shit to me, and I totally had a blast with BF 1942 and BF Vietnam (especially the latter, fighting in jungles was awesome). I guess I'll skip this one. Seems like I can't enjoy any new Battleturd. Especially after playing Red Orchestra :M

Beastro

Arcane
Know too much about the war for this shit to not be annoying. Trying way too hard to make it like WWII.

First thing I felt seeing that gas and masks are in is that there should be a level where you do nothing but get randomly attacked by gas, sometimes real, sometimes not, and you get to sit around wearing a mask managing stress, heat and exhaustion bars. One round lasts an entire real time day.

If you're meters get too high your guy rips off his mask and has to deal with if the last gas attack was real or not.

:lol:

Inspectah

Savant
Ww1 trech warfare battlefield, here's waiting for napoleonic or civil war battlefield were you stand in line and shoot every 5 minutes

(i'm aware of mount and blade)

Beastro

Arcane
Ww1 trech warfare battlefield, here's waiting for napoleonic or civil war battlefield were you stand in line and shoot every 5 minutes

(i'm aware of mount and blade)

Haha, shame on you for expecting that. BF Napoleonic would just been people firing with a 30 second cooldown as it reloads while you jump around bayoneting each other.

I'm hearing talk of cavalry vs tank combat when after the Race to the Sea cavalry on all fronts mainly became mounted infantry that used horses only for mobility (where they were still used as full cav they never encountered any tanks).

Same with the shit seeing airplanes attacking ships and shit, which was rare and mainly limited to floatplanes late in the war, which is reflected by ships later being refitted with only a handful of AA guns to counter them, it wasn't that big a problem.

This is a WWI reskin of comic book WWII. But Battlefield has always been pretty much that, it was just more tolerable in BF42 and BF2 because the combat was fun.

You guys should know better. The warning should have been seeing the trailer and part with the Fokker Dr.1 in full Red Baron colours being chased through a desert canyon ala Independence Day. :D

With that said a Red Orchestra game set in WWI would be really fun, at least that franchise has enough ground mechanics to make adapting WWI style combat into it just a matter of time. A lot of the old RO1 maps were pure infantry in trench combat with 90% of people using bolt action rifles already.

Inspectah

Savant
The warning should have been seeing the trailer and part with the Fokker Dr.1 in full Red Baron colours being chased through a desert canyon ala Independence Day
C'mon now, you are giving me way to much credit

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
For what it's worth, that in-engine footage was running at what they say is "Xbox One" level, which I believe, Frostbite is a crazy engine capable of somehow being really optimized but also looking near real.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
No thanks I don't want to play this glorification of a butchery that affected my great grandfathers.

Beastro

Arcane
No thanks I don't want to play this glorification of a butchery that affected my great grandfathers.

Funny thing is they didn't have to do much to have it not give off that sick feeling, yet the had to dial up the awesome epicness feels.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With that said a Red Orchestra game set in WWI would be really fun, at least that franchise has enough ground mechanics to make adapting WWI style combat into it just a matter of time. A lot of the old RO1 maps were pure infantry in trench combat with 90% of people using bolt action rifles already.

You mean you'd like to play Verdun?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.

Funny thing is they didn't have to do much to have it not give off that sick feeling, yet the had to dial up the awesome epicness feels.

That's the grossest part. You don't just turn the most awful armed conflict in history into an epic railroad power trip. Power tripping is the last thing those conscripts felt while rolling in the mud all day long.

Dexter

Arcane
Started playing the series with BF 1942, played Battlefield 2 for hundreds of hours, tried BF 2142 (it sucked), then played Bad Company 2 for quite a while since it had a very interesting destruction system and Battlefield 3 for a few dozen hours but kinda got bored by it. Skipped over Battlefield 4 and Hardline, this might get me interested in the series again, although I'll cautiosly wait for more details...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom