Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just watched the video, my favorite line:

"Oh his head went flying...that's nasty."

I'm tempted to upgrade my version of the game for the sweet skull helmet and to show more support.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_wm_lp.jpg

Let’s Play – Worldmap Update, Episode 2
Our new Let’s Play series in anticipation of the update coming on Monday, the 29th, continues with episode 2 today. We make some crowns on the side by trading and take on our first contract to hunt down bandits. Sadly, not all Battle Brothers shall return unscathed…

Preview Twitch Stream with ZiggyD
Youtuber and Streamer ZiggyD will do an exclusive preview live stream of the update. Depending on where you’re at, it’ll be on Friday the 26th (today!) at 7:00pm PST, or Saturday the 27th at 3:00am GMT / 2:00pm AEDT.

At least one of us developers will be hanging around in the Twitch chat as well, so if you want to talk to us or ask us anything about the game, this is a great opportunity. You can find ZiggyD’s Twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/ziggydlive

Last Warning!
The upcoming update will break savegames! If you want to keep playing your current campaign you should disable automatic updates on Steam for Battle Brothers!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is my biggest struggle vs Early Access so far. I'm extremely tempted. Every video looks better and better.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is my biggest struggle vs Early Access so far. I'm extremely tempted. Every video looks better and better.

Get it on the 29th; the game is already a lot of fun, and judging by the LP they have added A LOT of new content.

EDIT: On the other hand, apparently it will be more expensive if you wait?

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I bought it in June of last year and haven't played a better game since.
Get it on the 29th; the game is already a lot of fun, and judging by the LP they have added A LOT of new content.

EDIT: On the other hand, apparently it will be more expensive if you wait?

Guys I agree with both of you that the game is worth it and I never doubted that, but I am against Early Access as a system in general. I feel really bad to pay for beta testing a software that is in development. I should be payed to do that, not give my money.
I know that's not the case here but it's my general sentiment. I only did that with Darkest Dungeon and I regretted it very soon after.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Well, I am against the publisher funding model that destroyed my favorite genres in general and I'm pretty sure these 5 guys aren't putting the windfall of not paying beta testers towards their yachts, but we all have our hill to die on.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm not a huge fan of EA or KS, but I make some exceptions. Blackguards became a better game because of the feedback during EA and here, you get a playable game for your money, which is already fun. Unlike with KS, you don't fork over money for just a promise.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm interested to see how things have been re-balanced. I only play BB iron-man style on deadly difficulty, and my main problem is with goblin ninjas and impenetrable-armour orcs. I will almost invariably lose one or two people to goblin bullshittery (high melee skill combined with powerful range), but I'm slowly getting the hang of orcs. With shields and the special ability of the warhammer, plus massed halberds, the adult orcs and warlords go down easily enough. Crossbows seem underpowered for a weapon that is specifically anti-armour, though.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Combat balance hasn't been touched much, but the worldmap should be better balanced now in that you have more control about running into random orc or goblin parties, and that contracts are now more appropriate to your progress in the game and no longer just random.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Looks pretty interesting but I didn't like the character models. They look like amputees.

I know they tried to make it look like pieces on a board game but I found it really weird.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Guys I agree with both of you that the game is worth it and I never doubted that, but I am against Early Access as a system in general. I feel really bad to pay for beta testing a software that is in development. I should be payed to do that, not give my money.
I know that's not the case here but it's my general sentiment. I only did that with Darkest Dungeon and I regretted it very soon after.
I used to be like this too, but this was the first game in Early Access I've bought, and I don't regret it one bit. The second was Darkest Dungeon, but you can't win every time, can you? I'd argue that the current build of Battle Brothers has more depth than Darkest Dungeon on release, so there's that.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
It is now 12:01 AM, 29/2/2016, in the Midwest (the most important part of the United States). Yet, the game is not updating on Steam. The People of Planet Earth demand answers!

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
It's out!

blog_header_wm_update.jpg

Worldmap Update Released
Finally, the big worldmap update has arrived!

Battle Brothers has made a huge step towards completion and to how the finished game will play. Below you’ll find a list of all the major changes and additions to the game.

And we’re not done yet! Once the dust from the update has settled, we’ll return to smaller and more regular updates again so that you’re likely to find something new in the game every week. There are several more features (yes, including formations!) and loads of more content we’ll be adding until the game leaves Early Access later this year.

As a very small team we depend on your feedback to make this game as good as possible. Please leave us your thoughts and feedback on balancing, progression and gameplay in the forums!

With so many changes, introducing new issues is also pretty much inevitable. If you encounter any bugs, problems or crashes, please let us know in the forum following the instructions there.

Have fun with the update!

New Worldmap
A bigger and all-new procedurally generated worldmap comes with new terrain, oceans and shores, and wild and unexplored parts covered in fog. It’s teeming with life as peasants, caravans, ships, hunters, beasts and many more pursue their goals.

New Settlements
Settlements differ vastly in appearance, size, services they offer, men to hire and goods to buy. Fish is cheapest at fishing villages, more metal-based products can be found at mining settlements and you’ll find men with combat experience at castles.

New Contract Mechanics
Contracts are completely redone. You can now negotiate the terms of payment, and every contract comes with twists to spice things up and keep you on your toes. There’s 9 contracts in the game right now, double the amount of before, and we aim to have several times that for the finished game.

Factions & Relations
Noble houses vie for power and cities are ruled by corrupt councils. Meet the leaders of factions on and off the battlefield, make powerful allies or betray them and feel their wrath. All this in contracts we’ll be adding over the coming months now that the system is in place.

Tracking
All parties travelling the world now leave tracks for you to follow or avoid. Different factions use their own footprints so that you can see at a glance whether it’s humans, orcs or beasts who moved though.

Camping
Make camp to have your men recover from their wounds, repair their equipment and have time pass faster. But be careful, the camp fire will be seen from afar and may attract unwanted attention.

A Proper Introduction
The game now comes with a proper introduction and story to set up the mood and ease you into the open world gameplay with useful advice from other characters.

Additional Music & Sound Effects
Five new music tracks join the already hour-long orchestral soundtrack. Orcs got all of their sounds redone, and the game now has a rich ambient soundscape, from birds, to the wind howling, to people in the streets as you visit one of the many cities of the world.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
rapsdjff do you have any plans on distributing through gog before the release, now that they sell games in early access?
Not at present. If not before, we'll get into contact with gog once the game is finished, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom