Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Got bored and left

The game looks better and better with every update. I've never been happier to support a game in Early Access (something I tend to avoid), keep it going guys!
There's a critical tavern function not included. :rpgcodex:

Would be a great opportunity to include crippling veneral diseases, too! Fun for the whole family.

oscar

Arcane
Random events would be nice. Mercs getting into fights, getting pickpocketed, catching syphilis, becoming drinking buddies etc

Merc vs Merc fights would also be a cool chance to see generally player-only tricks like dogs and our own skill trees used against us. Bandits already have rotate but rival captains using inspire or an enemy one handed dodger going Perfect Focus could be entertaining reversals.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every time you pay a round and the men cheer to different things, there’s a chance that the mood of people improves, but also of them getting drunk. Mood is more important now as we attached additional benefits and penalties to it, and it should become more interesting in general as we do a minor rework of how the mood system works in the future. Being drunk, on the other hand, is a new status effect quite detrimental to combat effectiveness, although it does make people more brave. It doesn’t persist for long, but is succeeded by a hangover, which is a more mild debuff. Whether people get drunk or not heavily depends on their traits. For example, strong and tough characters don’t get drunk easily, whereas tiny and fragile characters do. All this then comes down to the decision of how many rounds you want to spend for your men in order to increase the mood of the company vs. the increasing risk of them getting drunk and being severely handicapped the following day.
Love the attention to detail :salute:

Battles could also leave some kind of (temporary) mark on the world map. Would go well with that tracking mechanic.

Maybe with short descriptions when you come across them: "It looks like some orcs were butchered here."
Battlefields could also attract ghouls or necromancers.

Aside from fighting other merc bands, you could maybe ally temporarily (and split the reward/loot) for very hard contracts. With the potential for betraying or being betrayed. It would have the usual problem of player using the AI as meat shields, but I'd love it in theory.

sser

Arcane
Developer
'Tis a big world now.

986C248BA2B0CC043BEDF6EE73AA62501889A351

My company's on the tip of the U out there in the fog. You can actually see my day/night progress by how my field of vision expanded or shrank.

Obligatory massacre picture.

6FEA4EB4AB73CD4BCE1ECA2B25E6E4C75E3F330E

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks neat. Also looking forward to the 'beast' faction getting expanded upon.

Anyway, I do wonder if the AI mercenary outfits will actually get missions. Love how, even in the early version we got, the world feels alive with caravans travelling, bandits setting up ambushes, patrols guarding the roads, etc. Having mercenary companies travel into the wilderness to wipe out an orc camp or travel alongside a caravan to protect it would be awesome to see. Even better when you can interact with them and aid or thwart their goals.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
I'd love to have a button to toggle tracking on and off (or eg. hold TAB to see tracks) instead of having it visible all the time. You know, Infinity Engine games style where you could highlight clickable objects.
There's a button and a hotkey (currently T).

Would be a great opportunity to include crippling veneral diseases, too! Fun for the whole family.
There's an event for a merc catching a skin rash after a visit to the brothel, at least ;)

Merc vs Merc fights would also be a cool chance to see generally player-only tricks like dogs and our own skill trees used against us. Bandits already have rotate but rival captains using inspire or an enemy one handed dodger going Perfect Focus could be entertaining reversals.
That's pretty much where we want to go in order to make human opponents interesting enough. They may employ wardogs now, and the Standard Bearer of noble house troops makes use of the Rally skill like the player does. One of my better memories from Baldur's Gate 2 is fighting groups of other adventurers, and that's what I'm thinking of when it comes to fighting other mercenary companies. However, we still have some way to go with this, so you shouldn't expect too much in this regard from the next update.

Aside from fighting other merc bands, you could maybe ally temporarily (and split the reward/loot) for very hard contracts. With the potential for betraying or being betrayed. It would have the usual problem of player using the AI as meat shields, but I'd love it in theory.
Yes, we have some ideas for allying with, betraying and being betrayed by other mercenary companies as part of certain contracts and events. You won't be able to hire them yourself, though.

Anyway, I do wonder if the AI mercenary outfits will actually get missions. Love how, even in the early version we got, the world feels alive with caravans travelling, bandits setting up ambushes, patrols guarding the roads, etc. Having mercenary companies travel into the wilderness to wipe out an orc camp or travel alongside a caravan to protect it would be awesome to see. Even better when you can interact with them and aid or thwart their goals.
There's more going on now with ships, peasants, supply caravans and troop movements in addition to what was already there. AI mercenary outfits don't actually roam the map yet, however, and they'll probably never do much in terms of actual missions except for when working with or against the player. We want their presence in the game because you shouldn't feel like you're the only mercenary company acting in the world, and they could make for interesting and challenging opponents especially later on, but they don't really play any big role outside of certain contracts and events.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Nice catch.

Unfortunately I can't go back and see. The expeditions was undertaken with a band of messengers, vagabonds, and refugees armed mostly with kitchen knives and billy clubs. They didn't get too far.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Almost there.

blog_header_hurt.jpg

Dev Blog #72: Progress Update – Tutorial, Music, Experienced Mercs
With the finishing line in sight, this will be our last regular progress update before the big update on the 29th. Today we’ll cover some more changes to the game and our reasoning behind them: A new introduction and tutorial, new music and the ability to hire experienced mercenaries.

Over the course of next week, our very own Jaysen will start a new Let’s Play series to showcase and explain all the new features, additions and changes made to the game. But for now, read on!

Introduction and Tutorial
What’s the first thing you’re greeted with when starting a new campaign right now? A big wall of text. And then an even bigger one as you pick up the tutorial contract. Being dropped into an open world with little idea of what to do and what the game even allows you to do can be daunting. In fact, the tutorial contract was actually missed by quite a few people in the beginning as they attacked the nearby bandits without hiring a single man, only to get slaughtered. That makes for an odd first impression. What the game needed was a proper introduction that gradually helps the player get into the game and gives context to their role in the world, without being overbearing.

The above is the new very first thing you see when starting a new campaign. This leads into a first battle and a short story about how you end up being the commander of a mercenary company, sets a suitably grim but not hopeless mood, and gives you a tour through the core gameplay loop. It’s presented as a short contract involving several steps and a series of events and dialogs with manageable bits of text and pretty pictures. And it also gives some explanation as to why you aren’t fighting on the battlefield yourself.

During the tutorial the player is introduced to basic combat mechanics without the danger of being instantly slaughtered, learns about hiring new men and buying equipment, camping and repairing, as well as other important aspects. It’s presented as individual characters explaining things and giving their opinions, and it’s all things specific to this game and doesn’t tax your patience with basic stuff like moving the camera. Although we recommend playing through the introduction at least once, it can be skipped after the first few minutes and you’re free to go anywhere in the world you want.

Raid Battle Track
While working on all the new features you’ve read about these past months, our talented musicians from Breakdown Epiphanies haven’t been lazy, either. We’re happy to say that several new music tracks will come with the update, among them one you can listen to right now.

This one is titled the ‘Farm Raiding Battle Track’ and is intended to play when slaughtering peasants and burning down their farmsteads, which is a new thing you may be asked to do with contracts now. It sets a dark and somber mood fitting a scenario like this, and it’s a great track in its own right that will play on various occasions throughout the game – including the very introduction you’ve just learned about.

Hiring Experienced Mercs
Here’s a dilemma: Battles are supposed to be deadly and you’re supposed to be losing men every now and then, yet losing men can hurt a lot in the late game because of the difference in power between fresh recruits and veterans, and because it takes a long time to train up again starting from level 1. We’ve talked about an extended roster as a way to cushion the impact of this in the future, but there’s another thing we’re introducing with the upcoming update: Hiring people that come with a few levels already.

Depending on their background, recruits may now come with higher starting levels. Finding a fisherman or farmhand with combat experience is pretty much out of the question. Not so with a raider, a retired soldier or a sellsword. These backgrounds can be found with some or even a lot of combat experience under their belt, but they’ll ask to be paid handsomely for it. It’s generally cheaper to build up people on your own than to hire ready-made veterans, and you won’t be able to afford any higher level hedge knights in the beginning. In order to not take away too much from the progression of characters, the maximum level at which recruits may come is currently at 5, and that’s already only for a select few backgrounds.

You’ll be able to distribute the attribute points and pick perks yourself upon hiring one of the more experienced recruits. By alleviating the severeness of losing an experienced man and having to start with a new one, we’re hopeful that players are more open to living with the consequences of their men dying in battle.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Hell, that is one God damn great track. If the other tracks are of similar quality, then the guys really did a great job.

All else is equally wonderfull, but thats the usual with the updates.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_wm_lp.jpg

Let’s Play – Worldmap Update, Episode 1
Here we go again! In anticipation of the big update hitting next Monday, the 29th, our very own Jaysen starts a brand new Let’s Play series with developer commentary to explain all the new additions and changes to the game. You can expect the second episode to hit later this week. Also, spoiler warning.

We’ll have a written summary of all the new things together with the update itself.

Preview Twitch Stream with ZiggyD
Youtuber and Streamer ZiggyD will do an exclusive preview live stream of the update this Saturday, the 27th, around 8:30pm GMT / 7:30am AUS / 12:30pm PDT – exact time will follow!

At least one of us developers will be hanging around in the Twitch chat as well, so if you want to talk to us or ask us anything about the game, this is a great opportunity. You can find ZiggyD’s Twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/ziggydlive

Important Reminder
The upcoming update will break savegames! If you want to keep playing your current campaign you should disable automatic updates on Steam for Battle Brothers!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awesome! Keep up the fantastic work, and keep the LPs coming; this is going to be the best game of 2016.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
blog_header_wm_lp.jpg

Let’s Play – Worldmap Update, Episode 1
Here we go again! In anticipation of the big update hitting next Monday, the 29th, our very own Jaysen starts a brand new Let’s Play series with developer commentary to explain all the new additions and changes to the game. You can expect the second episode to hit later this week. Also, spoiler warning.

We’ll have a written summary of all the new things together with the update itself.

Preview Twitch Stream with ZiggyD
Youtuber and Streamer ZiggyD will do an exclusive preview live stream of the update this Saturday, the 27th, around 8:30pm GMT / 7:30am AUS / 12:30pm PDT – exact time will follow!

At least one of us developers will be hanging around in the Twitch chat as well, so if you want to talk to us or ask us anything about the game, this is a great opportunity. You can find ZiggyD’s Twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/ziggydlive

Important Reminder
The upcoming update will break savegames! If you want to keep playing your current campaign you should disable automatic updates on Steam for Battle Brothers!

Haha ZiggyD will stream it? Great, two things I like combined. And he is a good guy to use for promotion. He is honest, enthusiastic, entertaining and funny.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I still want to see dungeon battles.. :cry:

They said in the comments something about working on tactical battles and changing the perk system. I hope that they'll introduce much more variety in tactical battles enviroments + towns/dungeons/interiors overall ^^
Just imagine a huge taven brawl, mrah :3

Also, I think I'm gonna stream it on g4g after patch comes out.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looking forward to Monday. The tavern reminds me of good old Pirates!.

Last edited:

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Doing the tactical combat environments is next up on our schedule. All the environments on the worldmap (snow, steppe, etc) will be present in combat, and we'll also look at some usability issues (primarily with forests) while we're at it. Different locations, like villages, orc camps or ruined graveyards, will change the look and feel of combat maps as well. Sadly, actual indoor enviroments, like dungeons, will not make it into the game for now, and the fighting will have to take place outside.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom