Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Mark Richard

Arcane
TotalBiscuit livestreamed a session and said he'll do a proper impressions video on his Youtube channel, which hopefully means a few of hundred thousand fresh eyes on the product. It takes him 40 minutes to find his feet, so those who get angry at watching newbies learn the game might want to skip ahead. Towards the end TB gets quite drunk on success and develops a maniacal affinity for his axe-wielding underling. He has some gripes with the lack of information given to the player, but on the whole it sounds like the impressions video is going to be hugely positive.

Kuattro

Augur
Seeking advice from the experts: How much armor should back row polearms and archers have? I know overwhelm requires good initiative to work. But I don't want them to get oneshot by lucky marksmen or ganked by necrosavants.
On dedicated polearm users as much as you can get, they don't need a lot of fatigue and only get one attack so overwhelm is not great on them. Archers and archer/polearm hybrids are trickier, for much of the game I run with the brigand gambeson and aketon cap to maximize dodge, the highest I usually go later is rusty mail shirt (or direwolf armor if you can spare one) and mail coif.

And if you give them nimble, the heavier the armor they wear, the lower the chances it procs, so it pays to balance armor, fatigue, initiative (for dodge), anticipation if you give it to them (why wouldn't you?), their ranged defence and keeping them behind someone with a big-ass shield, which also helps them shoot over your line when they are in battle without the risk of turning your own brothers into kebab.

And yes, direwolf is the best, but a pain to obtain I would say.

Tigranes

Arcane
Put a 60+ day Vet run on hold for now to try out Vet Ironman. The Philosophers have taken up arms and blown through several early missions with no real trouble, though Adorno the Second and Zizek the Second already pay tribute to their dead and crippled forerunners. (Cato the Strong is now Cato the Earrless, but holding on just fine. Yes, I know, but real philosophers aren't very fit for 'the Strong' anyway.)

Retreating is a little bit annoying - at one point I ran into three groups of brigands at once on a busy intersection, and then spent ten minutes just getting everyone to the retreat point under no danger as 24 brigands took their turn. I suppose they can't let you retreat scot free on Turn A, because sometimes your dudes might get caught up, but it seems like Ironman would involve a lot of "OHSHI-" then 10 minutes of hopping away.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Yeah.
Some mechanics are rather flawed.
Take retreat for example. Often its only sane choice on ironman but its slow, annoying and time wasting for most parts.
Add to that that you can not reform your formation or equipment before fighting or sometimes even do not know what you will fighting. Well its get boring pretty fast.
It could pass if the game pace would be much faster. aka fast progression, big rewards, high leveled recruits so you can finish game in few hours like FTL or other fast paced roguelike but now its a slow grind if you ant to play safe or fast death if not

Tigranes

Arcane
Aaaaaand the Philosophers are toast, to nothing more than some ancient auxiliaries. I find undead particularly difficult, since they nullify the basic beginner tricks (spears, ranged) and in this case they all had shields to get through, too, while I didn't have funds to prepare everyone with the right weapons.

Ironically, it was much easier killing a similar number of nachzehrers.

Tigranes

Arcane
It is very balanced, actually. I'm glad the undead give me a run for my money when I can't adapt my tactics.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is very balanced, actually. I'm glad the undead give me a run for my money when I can't adapt my tactics.
What are your tactics for dealing with undead? The zombies I just tank behind my spearwall and pepper then with arrows but on skeletons and necros I go full melee with maces, flails and hammers and try to hold on so nobody freaks out

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
What are your tactics for dealing with undead? The zombies I just tank behind my spearwall and pepper then with arrows but on skeletons and necros I go full melee with maces, flails and hammers and try to hold on so nobody freaks out

Zombies - Bladed weapons to decap. Swords, axes, cleavers. You prob need a good archer to deal with the necromancer.
Skeletons - Axes to destroy shields or flails to circumvent them. Otherwise they will just shieldwall every turn.
Geists - Need someone fast to close into melee range since ranged attacks are useless.
Necrosavants - Bait them with armored archers, net

You can kill Geists with Bowmen just by arrow spamming from any range due to 5% or whatever fixed hitchance. So 6 archers in the backrow is death on geists if you're just a bit lucky.
Woudln't recommend relying on that tactic of course, but it can do the job.

2H axes vs. necrosavants should do the most damage (orc man splitter ftw).

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
My limited experience with the undead is they act as a statcheck. You can't run ranged and get free damage in. You can't swing battles with wounds and morale checks. You basically run a similar composition as their legionnaires/honorguards and duke it out. You win if you have better melee defense and melee skill. You take casualties if you don't.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Since my video was VERY well received, I decided to continue talking stuff about BB. So here is part 2:

In this video I talk about trade, economy and some basic character progression strategy. And other stuff. Please give it a like/sub/comment/whatever.

Thanks for the support guys!!!

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
My limited experience with the undead is they act as a statcheck. You can't run ranged and get free damage in. You can't swing battles with wounds and morale checks. You basically run a similar composition as their legionnaires/honorguards and duke it out. You win if you have better melee defense and melee skill. You take casualties if you don't.

One thing to keep in mind is that the weapons of the ancient dead/legions do more armor damage than equivalent human weapons (at the cost of having less durability). That can throw newbies for a loop, assuming that they have similar armor and weapons only to take more damage than expected. Best to have more armor than you would need against equivalent bandits/raiders.

Waterd

Augur
I just made this giant post on the official forums (awaiting for moderation) Maybe someone here is interested.

Before I give my feedback I think it's important to establish where I come from.
I love strategic and tactical games, and not only play many online games vs players, but also enjoy many as singleplayer. I still play moo1 and Heroes of might and magic to give an example. I love the idea to ironman CRPG, but many have too many cheese deaths if you don't know the game (oh you walk there? you die, game over) and are otherwise too easy.
One of the CRPG that i enjoyed the most to ironman is Knights of the chalice, for it's great ui and combat design.
Sadly Knights of the chalice is notoriously not random, so once you know the game, you can basically repeat your motions exactly and win evertyime.

I love the idea of roguelikes, but generally the combat in those games is pretty bland/poor and the games tend to be extremely complex yet not necessarily deep.
Xcom is the closest i found to what I expect from a rougelike but I find the combat to slow/boring and the overall mechanics too complex too my liking. Not to say about the huge amount of micromanagment the game has which I don't find entertaining at all.

Battle brothers is the first "rougelike" that seem to have a very interesting Combat for my liking without being unnecessary complex. It has enough strategic elements to make it deep, yet not shallow.
A minimum amount of micromanagement And the combat is slightly too slow, but still way ahead of a game like XCOM (but not dynamic enough like Heroes of might and magic or Knights of the chalice)

So this is pretty close to a game I was looking forever in gaming. So thank you a lot for making this game. I only played so far Expert ironman and did 10 runs, and i'm now deep into my 11th run (Day 72)

With that said for someone that enjoy tactical/strategic games of this kind, It has several things I think would improve and would appeal to many players like me, some of which are my friends, and are repealed by some features of this game.

So with that, this is the list of suggestions, feedback, and personal recommendations. I know some of them could be in a patch, or expansion, but I know some would be unfeasible unless it's a new game. And maybe that is something to consider if there is a Battle brothers 2 or a new game with similar engine.

-Fleeing:
Retreating Is necessary, yet terrible annoying, and is probably the most grindy aspect of the game, where you are just doing work, just clicking your guys to retreat with no real decisions for a few minutes. I could expand on this but I
already did on this thread. http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/forum/game-discussion/#

-Information:
I know some people enjoy not knowing the game mechanics, I'm ok to having an option to remove tooltips. But for many people having so many mechanics hidden in the game is really annoying and unsatisfying. Should I hire the ratman or the fishmeran? Well it's whatever because I have no idea of the consequences of either. I should know what stats it gives, what % chance of different events gives, etc. I need to have a way to evaluate my decisions, instead of making decisions blindly. I use right now the wiki for that, But I don't think i should be playing with the wiki open to do this, and is very annoying to search for all this in the wiki.

The game loves to not inform you about what your options are, and just throw them out there for you to do and hope for the best and it's really not great imo.
I know tip to toe all mechanics of games like Master of orion and Heroes of might and magic, and yet the game are to this day a blast to play. I play a lot of board games, where i know all the mechanics and still a blast to play. I don't think you need to hide the mechanics to make games interesting.

-Quick UI:
Changing guys from reserve to team is a little annoying, i wish there were buttons or functions where you just switch guys clothes, or just a "strip down" button. Doing the action of stripping the injured guy on the back and clothing the front guy, is really annoying, specially late, when you have a constant cycle of guys.

-Pausing when you town:
It's annoying to have to quickly press the spacebar every time i leave town, it should be automatic.

-Combat ui:
I need more easily information in combat, there is a space bottom left for it. I want to see my guy, perks, abilities, and most important THE SECONDARY WEAPON, it's greatly frustrating havign to open the inventory all the time, which covers my whole screen, to check those stats.

Something crucial in this respect is bleeding. I often get surprised by my guy bleeding, there should be a big Blood spot on his head or on the NEW UI or somewhere, isntead of me having to remember which of the 30 potential injuries are actually bleeds and their tiny icon.

Initiative is very confusing, is very hard to predict when my guys are gonna act next turn, how often I did set up that spearwall to not use since my guy would act first next turn. I should be able to see the whole initiative list and make more clear why i move first or last

Hit to chance. I see things that help for me to hit or miss, but I'm not given exact numbers, I should be given those numbers, again refer to Knights of the chalice for that.

I need a grid, sometimes is hard for me to visualize what terrain is passable or not, I refer to battle for wesnoth with this, where with a single button you can see a grid with different colored squared, that show me control zones, impassable terrain, passable terrain etc.

-Combat log:
The combat log is really poor, it barely tells me anything. I strongly recommend checking Knights of the chalice Battle log, it precisely inform you of what really happend there, and is great tool to learn the game.

Extra Combat actions. Too often i know i want to wait with all muy guys, or end the turn with all my guys, and it's annoying having to wait and click the 12 times. Plz give me a WAIT ALL or FINISH ALL button. Also a retreat button, sometimes a Guy is so injured i know i just want him to run, let me put him on "run forest run" mode and never ask me again what i want him to do. I just want him to run.

-City feedback:
The information on the cities is not clear, I want to be able to hover a city and tell me what is annexed to it, instead i have to be slowly monitoring the surroundings, which is annoying.
It would be nice to be able to see what potential contracts i have open there. I don't mind if the game mechanic where that once you leave a city , you lose the potential to accept the contract, but given it's not like that, you should be able to check what the contract was about.

-In the world map I want to be given the information of the average/expected time from point X to Y, and include the food costs.

-Weapon swap souldn't be permanent, I battle I often switch back to secondary weapons, and then i have to switch back all weapons, worse is when sometimes i forget and i start the game with secondary weapons.

-Give the option to AI to autoflee for all guys not in a zone of control, it would save a lot of annoying time/grinding chasing down guys that in most cases you can't catch up, and would not me having to do a lot of tactical positioning
in the off chance he decides to comeback and fight (and it has happend)

-I think it's really dumb that your first attempt to haggle the price of contract, never backfires, At this point is just a routine to auto ask for me.

-Not too important, but I find weird you never need to sleep, and making a camp doesn't seem really that much beneficial, unless im strongly missing something.

Personal Suggestions that I feel are more of a different kind than the previous one, because they are more extreme, more personal or bigger.

* Have a Demo: I was strongly suggested this game , again and again, and looking at videos didn't convince me, I decided to pirate the game to give it a go, and I loved it, so I bought it. But I don't understand why it's not worth to have a demo, you encourage peopel to pirate your game to give it a shot.

* Have a 2x, 3x faster mode: I don't know how long would be to have a run, given that you say final crisis is the soft ending of a run. given my time right now and how long it seems to be, i suspect is on the realm of 60-80. I think it's too long, for a game meant to be replayed. You don't need it to be so long to have a game with an inmersive experience, a large map of master of orion takes me 8-12 hours and I have that experience. Even a run of Knights of the chalice, is
around 15-20 hours. And Given my experience with the game, I think it's gonna feel a little too long if it takes twice as much, and my current run is 16 hours in.
Talking with many people trying to suggest the game, they run when they hear a run may take 60-80 hours, yet they would totally be interested if they could do a run in a lower time. I think a game like this should have a run of around 20-30 hours tops. Maaaaybbe sometimes 40 hours. I could explain exactly why this is important, but it would be a an article by itself.
Maybe it's possible to have a mode where everything happens 3 times as fast. 3x time of experience, 3x fast travel, peolpe consume food 3x times as fast, events happens 3 times as often, etc etc.
If it's too late for current battle brothers, I really wish to see a very similar game with a similar engine, where runs are a lot shorter. So hoping for that in battle brothers 2 or any other game with this engine.

* Right now Different guys have different World map effect based on their events, which for the most part are unknown, but it would be nice to have more world map effects or even perks. For example A messenger, allows you to travel slightly faster, or a blacksmith allows you be more efficient in the use of tools to repair.
Right now that kind of it's on the game but is terrible random and mostly unknowable to the player.

*This is a super personal thing, I know, but I would like to see more fantasy, not only from a thematic point of view, but I like to have in games all the kind of option magic gives, like buffs, teleports, magic walls, etc etc. Also would like to be able to have wolfriders and orcs myself.Again, prolly not for battle brothers, but if the game is successful I would pay premium for a similar game with a more fantastic background, and I'm sure a lot of other people would. I know that it would make the game more complex and probably woudl be harder to do.

I think that's it, and with al this said, this is probably as of right now, one of my top 10 single players games I ever played in my lifetime and I've played LOTS of games. So thanks a lot.

jungl

Augur
skeletons are armor check and melee blunt weapons, maybe spear on competent bros. you buying range team early game you likely dont have enough to armor your bros properly and that gets you fucked. Undead imo are the easiest enemy type in this game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If I have a save from the last beta before release, do I need to start over to get all the release content in my save? Or is it added to my save file as is, so I get the legendary weapons and all the stuff that was done between v0.9 and release.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I made myself a resolution that I'd quit if the invasion did not end by day 150. It was getting increasingly tedious to fire up the game and wade through the same orky/gobbo mobs with very little actual reason to keep wading through them.

And then what do you know, just day 150 happens, right after I'd murdered another generic mob of ork young and gobbo snipers, invasion ends.

Mission accomplished.

And as a final slap in the face, I retire and the ending slide gives me the endings for two useless faggots - one who was sitting in the reserves with brain damage that he got in like his 3rd battle, and another one whom I've never even used at all that just joined me as a freed prisoner after wrecking some orc camp.

didkhw.jpg

also 'an usurper'

Well thank Gawd I won't have to come back to this game, because honestly finally ending the invasion felt almost like a release.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I made myself a resolution that I'd quit if the invasion did not end by day 150. It was getting increasingly tedious to fire up the game and wade through the same orky/gobbo mobs with very little actual reason to keep wading through them.

And then what do you know, just day 150 happens, right after I'd murdered another generic mob of ork young and gobbo snipers, invasion ends.

Mission accomplished.

And as a final slap in the face, I retire and the ending slide gives me the endings for two useless faggots - one who was sitting in the reserves with brain damage that he got in like his 3rd battle, and another one whom I've never even used at all that just joined me as a freed prisoner after wrecking some orc camp.

didkhw.jpg

also 'an usurper'

Well thank Gawd I won't have to come back to this game, because honestly finally ending the invasion felt almost like a release.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Tho, srsly, I think they may have gone overboard with the padding. I remember back in EA the pacing was a bit too fast and they said they would make it slower with the end game crisis and stuff, but they just made it slow to a CRAWL. Also, with the way the game likes to give you the middle finger for no good reason, Ironman is not advisable for anyone, regardless of experience level. I think veteran/non-ironman is where the fun is at.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Mission accomplished.

didkhw.jpg

also 'an usurper'

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Tho, srsly, I think they may have gone overboard with the padding. I remember back in EA the pacing was a bit too fast and they said they would make it slower with the end game crisis and stuff, but they just made it slow to a CRAWL. Also, with the way the game likes to give you the middle finger for no good reason, Ironman is not advisable for anyone, regardless of experience level. I think veteran/non-ironman is where the fun is at.
I enjoyed your video eyestabber good stuff... suscribed
On the subject of game length and whatever, I am a "the journey is the destination" kind of guy where if I enjoy the gameplay I might replay the game and enjoy it tremendously and actually prefer to "grind" in the sense of small gains and victories where I might play for a couple of hours, do a few quests, buy a few new items, get a little cash and bring rookies up to replace my fallen veterans
That sense of progress feels so old school and gratifying; even leveling up new recruits is fun
Yeah maybe having some "mini quests" with a bit more depth or more evolved mechanics such as setting up your own ambushes or have competing mercenary bands would be awesome but all in all it is the most fun I have had with a game in such a long time...definetly my goty for 2017 so far

Waterd

Augur
I really enjoyed the first 60-80 days, but the game is starting to slow and get dense. Fights of 30 units are not fun again and again, thanks to the big battle map, and turn based system. That is the beauty of a system, like the ones inMaster of orion or Heroes of might and magic. You never have more than 12/14 units in the battlefield. Having to play this massive battles again and again, becomes very dense very fast. I think a lot of the mechanics of the game are great, but the game should be a little faster, shorter and smaller for my taste. I hope in the future there is a mod which accomplishes that.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I imagine you're talking about MoO 1 because in MoO2 sometimes I wanted to kill myself due to the length of battles. Which were also not so involved since you didnt care about each spaceship so much as how you care about each bro

Tigranes

Arcane
Day 76, heralds bring news of war, and noble armies are fighting everywhere.. but nothing has changed for the Manic Jesters. They only wish they could ever get any noble favour above neutral, and figure out how to get in on the action...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom