Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
yeah man i remember fighting 30 orks with my 12 dudes on flat maps all the time in darklands

in fact that was all darklands was aboot

getting dudes, killing other dudes, losing dudes, the true experience

So you're just another inbred hillbilly (wow. is that easy!?) that has to see a 1:1 relation between two things/concepts and that is unable of abstract thought or correlation.

I played Darklands a long time ago but one thing I remember clearly was the first screen in Darklands where a bunch of adventurers sought to roam the land in search of fame and fortune.
I would continue with enumerating other similarities (in the form you like so much - 30 orcs! 12 dudes hurr durr - but also in style) between the two games but I am sane enough not to engage with just another frustrated schmuck whose verbal tic is "stupid fuck".
Now feel free to write a wall of text of how wrong I am that no one will read. Well... almost.
Cheers!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oh sure i can keep enumerating other similarities too

both have medieval weapons and armour and there are characters with german sounding names

true spiritual successor

Lostpleb

Learned
As a story and systemfag in equal measure, I have to ask; is the combat and progression good enough to offset the sandboxey nature of the game?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
As a story and systemfag in equal measure, I have to ask; is the combat and progression good enough to offset the sandboxey nature of the game?
For a time imo. But it runs it's course eventually. Once you've seen everything the game has to offer (there aren't many item tiers and only a limited number of secret items and one "location" if you can call it that iirc), then it's really down to whether you just enjoy the particular systems in place so much you want to continue anyway.
As I've written here before, many of us who have lots of hours in the game bought it in early access and restarted companies over and over due to updates bringing new stuff (and removing stuff such as most of the world map simulation aspects).

I wish there was more stuff done with the story too tbh. There are some hints at interesting stuff (such as when the undead invasion starts, there's a reference to a certain somebody, and then there's the origin of some of the secret items etc).
If we're lucky it'll come in the future, but who knows.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
WTF is this shit? They never include women or people of color for recruits?! Well, return request it is. I refuse to support non progressive developers. Thank god for developers like BioWare Montreal who does jesus's work.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never killed any warlords to end my invasion. He was on his way, but I guess he got lost in the swamp or something. I had to kill a genocidal amount of orcs though.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
WTF is this shit? They never include women or people of color for recruits?! Well, return request it is. I refuse to support non progressive developers. Thank god for developers like BioWare Montreal who does jesus's work.

But there are already orcs and goblins(all female).

Gord

Arcane
After just shooting one of my own bros, I wondered - do enemies ever get hit by friendly fire?
Because I don't remember having seen it even once...

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, I've had great fun putting up a shieldwall then watching brigand marksmen hit their own raiders in the back

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
After just shooting one of my own bros, I wondered - do enemies ever get hit by friendly fire?
Because I don't remember having seen it even once...
Sure does happen. Both enemies and friendly a.i. parties can end up hitting their own dudes (and you if the friendly arbalesters are dumb enough to fire at a target you've surrounded).

Parabalus

Arcane
Sure does happen. Both enemies and friendly a.i. parties can end up hitting their own dudes (and you if the friendly arbalesters are dumb enough to fire at a target you've surrounded).

I had bandit marksman execute their leader with double headshots because they were aiming for my guy behind him.

Friendly arbalesters are utterly retarded, you can't move your guys to the front line or they will get randomly killed by allies. Makes me wish I could just kill them myself at the start.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

both have medieval weapons and armour and there are characters with german sounding names

true spiritual successor

• Both have well written CYOA events
  • Both have Open world maps
  • Both have very open ended gameplay
  • Both have wandering parties
  • Both involve building and managing your band of adventurers
  • Both are set in low fantasy Germany
  • Both have tight resource management
  • Both have a central premace of gaining renown
  • Both have good combat

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone here tried a full bandit playthrough? I guess it's almost impossible since you can't buy anything. Or maybe you can survive on taking over caravans. Then again how do you get new men? Guess you need one town as a base of operations that you don't touch.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter

true spiritual successor

• Both have good combat
For fuck sake.
They only similar because both have German names for characters and cities(when Darklands happen in historical Holy Roman Empire and BB is randomly generated with zero connection to real world) and medieval weapons(not even the same period).
Darklands have some dark arts and evil creatures but it was fairly historical RPG with detailed map and plenty of interactions.
BB is mostly combat oriented and that is all - combat only.
Why Baldurs Gate isn't spiritual successor of Darklands?

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Has anyone here tried a full bandit playthrough? I guess it's almost impossible since you can't buy anything. Or maybe you can survive on taking over caravans. Then again how do you get new men? Guess you need one town as a base of operations that you don't touch.

Maybe there should be bandit-aligned towns? Den of outlaws, that sort of thing.

When you go bandit you get hostile to town and unfriendly to noble house, if you continue you will be hostile to noble house that own them. Just make sure to not attack caravans from cities of other noble houses.
But its counterproductive. Its weaken humans and lock you from part of the map.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

true spiritual successor

• Both have good combat
For fuck sake.
They only similar because both have German names for characters and cities(when Darklands happen in historical Holy Roman Empire and BB is randomly generated with zero connection to real world) and medieval weapons(not even the same period).
Darklands have some dark arts and evil creatures but it was fairly historical RPG with detailed map and plenty of interactions.
BB is mostly combat oriented and that is all - combat only.
Why Baldurs Gate isn't spiritual successor of Darklands?

Far from a spiritual successor agreed, but there are some influences or similarities outside of combat clearly. Why get your panties in a bunch?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor is right (surprise - since he insists on trolling this thread most of the time) - a spiritual successor it isn't. Not even close.

On the other hand - there are some similarities. I would bet my socks that devs of BB played Darklands and were influenced by it somewhat. A few points to consider:

1. Relatively low presence of magic (in case of BB it is lack of magic on player's part but even in Darklands magic plays a lesser role than in most crpgs). A closer similarity would be lack of abundant amounts of magic items. It is what puts those two games apart from majority of other fantasy crpgs that are almost uniformly high-magic.
2. Another is obviously lack of main story. Darklands has "major" quest(s), BB has late game crisis but in both case the game is not story driven. You play a bunch of guys in search of money (BB) or fame and glory (Darklands) in an open world and thats about it. Again it puts them both apart from majority of crpgs that even if heavily focused on combat and/or open world are still usually story driven.
3. Open world - granted, it is quite popular these days - is still a similarity between the two games.
4. Random abundant purely text-based events.
5. Yet another would be a dark tone of both, a subjective "gothic" vibe you can get from both of them. Which is of curse in large part subjective.

If you combine all those things... As i wrote in another thread a few weeks (months) ago: Battle Brothers is probably one of the closest things to "Darklands" you will find.
It doesn't mean it is a successor or that it is simillar. Let's just say it is less dissimilar than everything else. No one ever - to my knowledge - made a clone/successor/copy of Darklands. Which is a shame and saddens me greatly because Darklands IS a great concept and is in many ways different from all other crpgs, it deserves not one clone/successor but its own sub-genre and yet there is nothing like it.
Same goes for "historical" crpgs in general but this is another story.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty sure someone in here is involved with ragequit.gr, I saw it in some signature.
Also, I know metacritic sucks etc, but it wouldn't hurt if we could drop some positive reviews for BB there too.. Raise the user score which is ruined by RNG complaints..

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
I'm pretty sure someone in here is involved with ragequit.gr, I saw it in some signature.
you can summon him if you stand infront of a mirror and say 3 times "the bear is your friend".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom