Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #3: Here comes the eye candy!

Lord Andre

Arcane
Not naive enough to believe that game will actually look like that, but damn...for a hype vid it kind of nails it...Fargo, you jewlord, you always know hot to take my dollars. :salute:

m_s0

Arcane
VioletShadow Probably a stupid question, but why does Bethesda hate Fargo?

It's more that he hates them (due to their making the development of Hunted: The Demon's Forge a hellish experience)

Sounds like an interesting story. Do you have a link ready perhaps? Else I will just google it.
Here you go:
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=124

Speaking of which, do you like the direction Bethesda took with Fallout 3 – an open world, first person perspective, and so on?

They did a great job with it. It’s not what the hardcore audience wanted which I totally get but I give them credit. They’ve made a meaningful perk and trait system, they did a great job with the visual style, use of Pip-Boy and music. They’ve captured what Fallout universe should feel like. But it was certainly different than my approach to it.
:M

Well; he's hardly going to shit on his old employers in the same industry when he might even be thinking of bringing employees over. Only a retard would take it at face value. I bet you believe what Molyneux says as well.
Of course.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of which, do you like the direction Bethesda took with Fallout 3 – an open world, first person perspective, and so on?

They did a great job with it. It’s not what the hardcore audience wanted which I totally get but I give them credit. They’ve made a meaningful perk and trait system, they did a great job with the visual style, use of Pip-Boy and music. They’ve captured what Fallout universe should feel like. But it was certainly different than my approach to it.
News at 11: Grown up people leading a professional company are not trashing other people's work in public.

Dorateen

Arcane
If they have UI that allows for selectable party members during exploration, I would like to see a change in perspective based on the chosen character. So for example, you have your typical view for a human. But then if you switch to a dwarf, the line of sight lowers somewhat, and is also brighter to account for infravision, or seeing a greater distance for elves. Could be used to indicate a character equipped with a torch, as well.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
That sounds only good in the first moment. Think about what time it costs to switch perspective, to orient yourself again, and then select attackable enemies which are on different locations on the screen, than from another perspective. The first couple of times it supports immersion, but eventually it starts to get annoying.

Last edited:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
color me not impressed. in ue4 it doesn't take much to create a very good looking but linear corridor stuffed with shaders. the internet is full of those. the music was nice though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah I'm not buying the graphics, trailers gonna trailer and all that, but the sound design was really good. Hopefully the game has that level of detail in the ambient noises.

m_s0

Arcane

News at 11: Grown up people leading a professional company are not trashing other people's work in public.
Just thought it was pretty funny juxtaposed with claims of Fargo's hatred towards Bethesda. It's pretty clear reading his interviews that it's more about the bullshit dealing with publishers entails than the publishers - as in: specific people - themselves. Though I don't doubt there's a few he probably won't be working with again if he can help it.

Unless you do dig up some interview where Fargo's straight-up tearing Todd and co a new one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The-Witcher-3-feature-672x372.jpg

This trailer has the same value as this photo regarding promised graphical fidelity/power.
An open world game is one thing. A dungeon crawler faking open world a-la Grimrock 2 is another. You can do more with a lot less.

I'm not saying that's the case here and the game will look exactly like the trailer BUT Grimrock 2 developers did show how easy it is to make an eye-candy crawler.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have to admit I'm a sucker for that style music... sounds beautiful!! Also, has the pledging seemed to have really slowed down? I kind of expected a bit more surge after that video.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Brother None: did they use the map before entering the dungeon to swap the (pre-baked?) procedurally shattered model with the actual door?

norolim

Arcane
That was and impressive trailer. Let's hope the gameplay and systems are at least equally as good.

Dehumanizer

Educated
Hah. Rebecca's team now started posting on this KS as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/oldeskuul/comments

I really wish she did an Apple IIGS version of BT3. The IIGS versions of BT 1 and 2 (coded by her) are the best (though that comes mostly from being the last to be released, and therefore fixing bugs found in other versions), but unfortunately there never was a port of 3.

A "remastered" version with all 3 games, and without the need to change disk images on an emulator would be great.

Darkzone

Arcane
Have to admit I'm a sucker for that style music... sounds beautiful!! Also, has the pledging seemed to have really slowed down? I kind of expected a bit more surge after that video.
I love gaelic music too. Clann as Dobhair made me an addict for this kind of music since Magical Ring and Legend, despite it was not sung in gaelic. But to the surge, that would be quite an unusual effect on the trend. inXile seems to have an magical trend to make games for around the 5mio, and i think Fargo should also take for the fourth game 5mio into the account.
Wasteland 2 = 3mio Kickstarter and additional investment of 2mio.
T:ToN = 4.2mio Kickstarter and 0.7mio additional backer investment.
(Future) The Bard's Tale IV = ~3.3mio Kickstarter and 1.25mio additional inXile investment.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This will make 2.7. That's what I said months ago, and I still stand by it. Too bad too, since 2.75 was going to be Crooked Bee mode.

UnknownBro

Savant
W2 vision document is still fresh in my mind... better than FO4 promotional video though.

*evil cheesy laugh*

jdinatale

Cipher
Why didn't they have this when the Kickstarter launched? Seemed like it would have drawn a lot more people than the original video.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why didn't they have this when the Kickstarter launched? Seemed like it would have drawn a lot more people than the original video.
First you throw the hook to get the core fans, then you give a reason for the hesitating ones to pledge, and then you give them a reason to upgrade their pledge.

Can't blow all your load in one thrust.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is it wrong I gave my money to Todd Howard instead of Brian Fargo?

Ivan

Arcane
should have torrented the former and early birded the latter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom