Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #3: Here comes the eye candy!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't help but feel the KS is going a bit slower than expected. By no means bad, as it's going to get funded but I'm sort of looking at this and thinking "they want 2.5 million+", with the 1.25 minimum ask. I dunno if it's gonna get there. Maybe 2M though.
C'mon Sensuki, you've see enough of these to know how it goes, last 2-3 days will bring in about 800k, final funding will be 2-2.5 million.

I don't know exactly what InXile expected, but they should have expected less money from a first person dungeon crawler compared to story driven isometric.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm apprehensive about 2.5, but sure 2M which is what I said.

The public "we're going to do well" is probably just "Good PR", as it looks bad if you act negative I suppose.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Can't wait for the next update. They said they are cooking behind the scenes
:kfc:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
ITZ BEAUTIFUL!

Graphics are, contrary to popular Codexian belief, pretty important for a blobber. Lands of Lore still looks great thanks to its graphics. This looks way better than what I had expected...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Lands of Lore made me a graphics whore. Couldn't play any games with lesser visual standards (which excluded a lot of games back at that time).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update time with questions answered, a stretch goal and add-ons...

Brian Speaks, First Stretch Goal Added and...oh yeah, One Million Dollars!!!
Posted by inXile entertainment
a8557eb094d6f2fc3113ac0f047ca612_original.jpg

Thanks to all of you we passed the $1.1 MILLION mark over the weekend! This puts it at the 23rd most funded video game Kickstarter of all time after less than week! We can’t thank you enough for your support. It is so inspiring to see so many of you continuing to join the RPG renaissance and prove the party based dungeon crawl genre is far from dead!

The reception of our in-engine video of The Bard’s Tale IV was also absolutely phenomenal. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch it now, and if you did and loved it, share the word with your friends! ! The more that you share it, the bigger our budget, and the better the game we all get. We cannot do it without your help and involvement!

The in-engine video walks you through a level built in Unreal Engine 4, using our in-game-quality art assets, with no pre-rendered bits anywhere. This kind of prototype serves to give you an early look at our game, but also for us to familiarize ourselves with running these environments in Unreal engine 4 and to get a feel for our goals and atmosphere. But a video can’t answer all questions, so over the weekend in the project comments, we asked you all to let us know what topics you want to hear more about.

Brian has recorded a video to answer those questions.

d6b3eec0de47c689d125c51d82654799_original.png

efe98ecf0a1f54f6752cef5520d42e86_original.png

0a45ebe7917f242d8d3f03cee642e39c_original.png

b1abcbb4b296dd9867868da4de6508ea_original.png

Stretch Goals
Another question was regarding stretch goals. Where are they? We certainly have a number planned and ready but we like to see where a Kickstarter is going. Now that we’re comfortably heading to being fully funded we can no longer resist giving you a sneak peek!

At $1.3 million, we will add an enhanced companion NPC system and add 2 more CNPCs, including Lioslaith the Shadow, a legendary Spear Daughter of the matriarchical Fichti people, the dark haired, woad-painted nature worshippers who live in the deep forests far to the northwest of Skara Brae.

With this enhanced companion NPC system, all recruitable NPCs will have unique personalities and backstories which will open up interesting side content and add rich and surprising reactivity to your adventure. In addition, these CNPCs will voice their thoughts and asides, giving their take on the people, places and events that you encounter as your party moves through the world. No two CNPCs are alike and they carry their own reputations with them. While they can add some additional firepower to your party, some might even get you into more trouble than you were expecting…

Spread the Word!
Your amazing support has led us blazing past the $1 million point and on the path to reach our initial funding goal, and we’ve got some great stretch goals cooking. Beyond your pledges alone, it means a lot to us to hear from you and see you spread the word on our campaign. Every post you comment on, link you provide, hashtag you use, goes back to us and helps spread the bard's song far and wide. Together, we can make a difference!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheBardsTale
Tumblr: http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/

Add-Ons
We’ve also been listening to feedback regarding our campaign, and we have heard you! We’ve now opened up a number of digital add-ons with ideas to add more moving forward. You’ll find the current ones listed on the Kickstarter page:

$5 - Guilt Absolution Letter/E-mail from Brian Fargo

$8 - Digital "History of The Bard's Tale" Novellas (3 novellas spanning TBT 1-3 lore)

$8 - Digital The Bard's Tale IV Novellas (currently 3 novellas on TBT IV lore)

$15 - Digital Novella Compilation (all available novellas)

$20 - Extra Digital Copy of The Bard's Tale IV (PC, Mac, and Linux)

Add-ons give you more flexibility to get exactly those rewards you’re looking for, for instance supplementing a physical tier with a few of the digital extras.

To add an add-on: click the blue "Manage" button at the top of the Kickstarter page, and increase the amount of your pledge to match your add-on choice. Later on after the Kickstarter campaign, when we open our backer web site, you’ll be able to specify which add-on you intended to choose.

Example: You pledged for a $105 Premier Collector’s Edition +$8 shipping, but would like to add a digital copy for a friend and a Guilt Absolution Letter to pardon your buccaneering ways. That would be a total pledge of $113 (base tier and shipping) + $20 (extra copy) + $5 (Guilt Absolution letter), for a total of $138. Click the blue “Manage” button next to your pledge, and manually change the amount pledged to $138. You do not need to change anything about your tier selection.

Shout-Outs
With our own Kickstarter going strong it’s time for us to share the love with some of our friends and fellow crowdfunding hopefuls.

The first project has less than a week to go, an open world action RPG titled Umbra. It takes place in a corrupted world that is falling apart, where you play a former soldier forced to flee a death penalty for your magical powers, expressed in the game by the unique Apocalyptic Form mechanic. It’s a gorgeous-looking isometric game that has funded but has some juicy stretch goals that will make it that much better.

69e1fad963398f16b9f3b745eeecbe15_original.jpg

Second, Fallout 1 Lead Designer Chris Taylor and Fallout/Planescape: Torment designer Scott Everts have teamed up with Obsidian to create a strategic card game based on Pillars of Eternity, entitled Lords of the Eastern Reach. We’re very excited to have this card game be available for our board/card game nights, and this project too has some very enticing stretch goals open to us!

921e876a553e5674521187bef8177184_original.jpg

Thanks!
Chris Keenan
Project Lead

Here's the link to Fargo answering questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CZEYuJQPX8&feature=youtu.be

Darkzone

Arcane
mindx2
Good that you have posted the 4th Update, so i didn't had to do this.

I like most of the things that he said my only complaint is that there are only one space for a CNPC, two would be much better in my opinion. But then naturally one has to create the all the relations, which results in quadrupling in worst case of the necessary work for the all the CNPC. This additional space could be a naturally a stretch goal.
Also SJW alarm!!![/sarcasm] Liosliath the Shadow is not so attractive (for an NPC) as the man simply called "The Bard". But also "The Bard" with his rat summoning (not a summon) skill, talking / singing and him mocking sword and his talking to a invisible person that he calls the narrator would be an awesome stretch goal. This CNPC and character creation system is like in the first WL, and is a nice synthesis between only unique characters and all generated character in the first three Bard's Tales. CHRISTINA, ACE and etc in WL were therefore unique interesting characters with somehow their own story.
Now to the saves: it sounds interesting, but i currently don't know how to this other than to buy one or two saves, before going on an adventure from the adventure guild. But overall i think it would be better if the players could decide how they want to play by himself, but naturally save everywhere option should be punished somehow, while the iron man mode should be rewarded.

Last edited:

Themadcow

Augur
Not sure about CNPC's. I liked the original 'Summon' spot in BT1 in which you summoned or bound mute but uncontrollable servants which took on a personality of their own. GOD DAMN IT JABBERWOCKY - BREATHE FIRE AT THOSE 99 BERZERKERS, DONT TRY TO BITE ONE!

Lands of Lore made me a graphics whore. Couldn't play any games with lesser visual standards (which excluded a lot of games back at that time).

Two Lands of Lore mentions in a single thread. Any chance someone knows who owns the rights? Might be able to begin a new Kickstarter project. ;)

Alchemist

Arcane

Two Lands of Lore mentions in a single thread. Any chance someone knows who owns the rights? Might be able to begin a new Kickstarter project. ;)
Westwood got consumed by EA didn't it? So the IP is probably rotting away never to be used again. :negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Westwood got consumed by EA didn't it? So the IP is probably rotting away never to be used again. :negative:

You mean like the Bard's Tale, Wasteland and Underworld IPs? :cool:

It probably could be used again if somebody put together a capable team and asked EA nicely.

Alchemist

Arcane

It probably could be used again if somebody put together a capable team and asked EA nicely.
Yeah, that's true. I forgot we live in strange times where EA is actually letting people do stuff with their IPs.

Yeah, that's true. I forgot we live in strange times where EA is actually letting people do stuff with their IPs.

EA. :/

I think you also have to ask the devil nicely for that you want.

True enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom