Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Bane of the Cosmic Forge character generation - my head is about to explode

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stupid Oracle won't talk to me. Doesn't she like the smell of wet Felpurs and Rawulfs?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mein Gott, I hate those goatfucking Priests of Ramm!
They are nearly immune to magic and keeps casting insta death spells. For some reason my Dwarf Valkyrie seems immune to the spells, while the rest of the party dies like flies. She doesn't have any equipment that protects against magic.
And for some reason it seems my ninja and monk have a harder time hiding from them and critically hitting them

Any good tactics against these bastards?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And this is the area I am SO happy I have 2 Valks spamming silence. That's what worked for me IIRC.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And this is the area I am SO happy I have 2 Valks spamming silence. That's what worked for me IIRC.

I have one Valk and one Lord both cating Silence on 5 Goat Fuckers, but together they only manage to silence about half of them.
Casting Magic Screen doesn't seem to help against Lifesteal and Anti-Magic only occasionally makes one of their spells fizzle.

kmonster

Augur
Mein Gott, I hate those goatfucking Priests of Ramm!
They are nearly immune to magic and keeps casting insta death spells. For some reason my Dwarf Valkyrie seems immune to the spells, while the rest of the party dies like flies. She doesn't have any equipment that protects against magic.
And for some reason it seems my ninja and monk have a harder time hiding from them and critically hitting them

Any good tactics against these bastards?

Everything in combat depends on levels relative to each other. Your Valkyrie wasn't affected because she is higher level than the rest. Your monk and ninja are lower level and therefore can't hide well or score criticals. If you waste a lot of time for grinding a few levels those priests will be a boring piece of cake, if not you can just do spam save/reload until you succeed.
The best way to handle those priests is killing them, dead monsters don't kill you.
Consider sending your samurai to the front line dualwielding, with melee attacks using the samurai weapons he'll do by far the most damage. Don't waste your monk's and ninjas' time with trying to hide, you have to kill the priests ASAP. If you want your lord to cast silence don't have him block a valuable front line position, there are good polearms for every class, they can even be combined with thrown weapons if they're 1-handed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good point about sending the samurai to the front. At this stage armour class doesn't matter much. OTOH the samurai's Anti-Magic spell has been the best defense against the Goat Fuckers when Silence fails. My Monk and Ninja are already dual wielding, but having Lord and Samurai switch places could have been a plan.

Anyway, I met something even worse than the Goat Fuckers - Fairies (or Twisted Delphs or something)! They blink in and out like 100 times a round and cast Hold Monster on my party and paralyze with their attacks before I can even react.
Xorphitus and his three Greater Demons were easier and I beat them on first try without casualties.

That my Valkyrie should be so much more resistant due to her one or two higher levels is interesting. Now I understand how it could be easier to just go for single class characters and don't bother with multi classing.
I'm not so sure how much I like the characters' level being so important when the game already has things like skills, resistances and spell power levels that should govern chances of success. Although it does reduce the effect (the abuse) of switching classes all the time to get Ninjutsu and Kitijutsu for all your characters.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yay! Finally it is over.

JgxvR.png

Sweet little Becky and her sucker of of a boyfriend turned out to be easier to beat than the Priests of Ramm and the Twisted Sylphs - only two casualties.

Damned, this game was probably the most exhausting one I've played since I replayed Bard's Tale a year ago.

So what now? I have a save right before trying to put my sweaty paws on the Cosmic Forge, but word on the internets says that I should change my elite classes back to basic classes prior to the transfer to Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Why is that excactly?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing I never figured out...how do you know an item's "special power" without saving, trying and loading? Even Identify at power level 6 doesn't show this info.

And where/what is that fabulous ring (diamon ring?) that would be useful in Wizardry 8?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You have to say something, to someone to get the ring in VI.

Hmm...I guess I will have to cast Mindread on the NPC in question first, then?

BTW, after much messing around with DosBox settings I was finally able to both run Savant as well as import my party from Bane. My ending was "I'll take that" and then being transported in a space ship to the planet Guardia where I start in a forest.

I will porbably not play Crusaders of the Dark Servant before next year, though, but it's nice to have done with all the importing so I just pick it up and play it.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
One thing I never figured out...how do you know an item's "special power" without saving, trying and loading? Even Identify at power level 6 doesn't show this info.
Reading a walkthrough.:troll:Other than that, just trial and error.
And where/what is that fabulous ring (diamon ring?) that would be useful in Wizardry 8?
You can't get the Diamond Ring because you did somethin wrong before.

Themadcow

Augur
So what now? I have a save right before trying to put my sweaty paws on the Cosmic Forge, but word on the internets says that I should change my elite classes back to basic classes prior to the transfer to Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Why is that excactly?

Because Wizardry VII decides that imported elite classes means you need to die, horrbly horrbly. Changing back to basic classes just ensures you get a slightly easier ride from the gamebalance'o'bot.

I've just restarted Bane (Amiga version... not sure why tbh, there's no Amiga version of Dark Savant to import chars into) and I've probably spent more time having fun with the character creation than I've spent on half of my console purchases this year. Such a shame they ditched most of the good stuff in the Japanese PS2 and PS3 games.

Guzy which level is an optimal moment to change class? Whole party is on 8 lvl (Mine dungeon) and I have to replace at least one Valkyrie.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guzy which level is an optimal moment to change class? Whole party is on 8 lvl (Mine dungeon) and I have to replace at least one Valkyrie.

Around level 10. Afterwards the XP needed to level up get very high so it's more efficient to switch classes, you will gain the early levels quickly. If you switch too late it takes forever until you get your spells back (switching classes deactivates your spells from the former class until you reach it's level again)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom