Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
and there's a ton of items that make its radiant damage debuff on hit,
What are you thinking of here? I'm drawing a blank, haven't thought about this yet

Yosharian

Arcane
If you're wondering how much AC you can get with buffs, I'm missing Shield of Faith for +2 AC.
I built a Swords Bard that can get 46 AC and that's without stuff like SoF :smug:

I say 'built' but there's barely any building in this game you just pick a class and choose non-retarded options for feats/asi and subclasses, hardly genius stuff here

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
and the extra spell slots are debatable.
Yeah I don't think that's how it actually works in BG3 I think the number of prepared spells (assuming that's what you meant) is fixed based on your Cleric level

(I know that's how it works RAW in 5E but Larian changed a lot of things)

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Images obviously go away but undoubtedly are great (and why I keep her Trickster). SoF means no SG. Looks like no Alert feat here either, or War Caster so any damage has 35% (?) chance of burning your slot.
No, I bet you he hasn’t been threatened more than like once from the start of Act 2 and onward because the balance is broken. War caster is a useless feat the way spell casting is implemented in this game idk why you keep bringing it up like it’s needed, oh wait, yeah it’s because you picked it so it has to be good right? Alert is just a QOL feat you don’t actually need it to faceroll.

He may not know what he's talking about now, but he'll spend the next few months playing the game for hours every day and he will eventually know more than you do about it. He's not stupid, he's just a huge gaping asshole who gets his kicks being condescending to people on the Codex.

It's a shame, but what are you going to do, keep shitting up the thread waving your e-peen at each other or move on?

Typically only an asshole to those who lead with that approach (like Yosharian for instance consistently does). People say things like advantage on Perception or Ranger MC sucking I'm going to push back because they're wrong unless they're reloading a lot at which point "game is too easy" doesn't carry much weight. It should be too easy if you're reloading whenever something goes wrong. If nothing ever goes meaningfully wrong anyway then yeah that's too easy.
Again, the problem is you are just speculating because you haven’t even reached the parts we talk about yet try to speak like you know what you are talking about. People comment on perception advantage because they know it’s not needed. Because guess what, they have finished the game unlike you.

Don’t really care about your +40 year RPG experience. It’s irrelevant when discussing things like difficulty curve because the only thing that gives weight to your opinion is whether or not you played through the content, which you haven’t. But your ego is too big to handle that simple truth so you aren’t going to stop with the baseless speculation anytime soon.

I have also already told you that I needed to reload two fights in the entire game and Rhobar needed one. One was related to a game mechanic that had nothing to do with builds and the other was at lvl 4 which I explicitly said lvl 1-4 has good difficulty. Now stfu about this reload bullshit like you even have a point here, you don’t.
Give me a chance to try out the different classes and the party line-ups that play to their strengths before I get to the game warping stuff.
I would if you didn’t come here swinging with your “let me tell you how the game works” BS from the self-admitted position of having replayed lvl 4 endlessly. Also none of that shit is necessary because you are playing a game whose highest difficulty is the equivalent of normal on WotR.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
casters in particular, are just a bit shit until level 5 and 6

wizard gameplay seems straightforward

What seems straightforward is that you suck and haven't figured it out yet.

When you learn how to suck less you'll be a little embarrassed but that will be offset by a sense of accomplishment.

Depends if you're taking a long rest every 3 fights in order to use level 2 spells to "straight combat" most fights.

My experience was, I felt that wizard/cleric/rogue/fighter was just vastly harder to play than druid/rogue/fighter/barbarian in levels 1-4. In a "straight fight", surprise mechanics are just absurd.

Wizard essentially had to be carried or threw consumable items unless it was blowing enemies off edges, due to low level's spell economy.

It depends on how creative you are of course. There's an almost infinite ability to patch up weaknesses via barrelmancy, clever use of improvised weapons or shoving things off edges.

And if you're "following a guide for every fight," then of course wizard still carries its weight. You're likely using the wizard to cast "protection from xxx" before every fight.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
casters in particular, are just a bit shit until level 5 and 6

wizard gameplay seems straightforward

What seems straightforward is that you suck and haven't figured it out yet.

When you learn how to suck less you'll be a little embarrassed but that will be offset by a sense of accomplishment.

Depends if you're taking a long rest every 3 fights in order to use level 2 spells to "straight combat" most fights.

My experience was, I felt that wizard/cleric/rogue/fighter was just vastly harder to play than druid/rogue/fighter/barbarian in levels 1-4. In a "straight fight", surprise mechanics are just absurd.

Wizard essentially had to be carried or threw consumable items unless it was blowing enemies off edges, due to low level's spell economy.

It depends on how creative you are of course. There's an almost infinite ability to patch up weaknesses via barrelmancy, clever use of improvised weapons or shoving things off edges.

And if you're "following a guide for every fight," then of course wizard still carries its weight. You're likely using the wizard to cast "protection from xxx" before every fight.
Wizard is brain dead straight forward. I used mine as a haste bot from the moment I got access to it. If I wanted to cast a fireball or lightning I would just use one of the 5000 scrolls the game gives you.

No reloads needed before the lvl 4 autist comes screeching.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Haste, Fireball, and Lightning. Got it. There's a big game out there waiting to play, don't have to pretend you're still playing shitty phone games and braindead MMOs.

Haste is fine but it's just one toon instead of AoE. I do all sorts of shit with Wiz, but hey if you're a Barb at heart and the game doesn't punish you for it go off. And nuker Wiz with Spell Shaping is also a thing you can do too of course, but there as you say you may be supplementing with consumables or resting a lot early.

I'm not following a guide, I roll my own through trial and error. Not sure why you can't use surprise just as well in base party as with Druid and Barb. Best Surprise class I've found so far is Ranger, but slagging on Ranger seems to be a thing from the MMO bots.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haste, Fireball, and Lightning. Got it. There's a big game out there waiting to play, don't have to pretend you're still playing shitty phone games and braindead MMOs.
You have barely touched act 1 so you don’t know what works.
Haste is fine but it's just one toon instead of AoE. I do all sorts of shit with Wiz, but hey if you're a Barb at heart and the game doesn't punish you for it go off. And nuker Wiz with Spell Shaping is also a thing you can do too of course, but there as you say you may be supplementing with consumables or resting a lot early.

I'm not following a guide, I roll my own through trial and error. Not sure why you can't use surprise just as well in base party as with Druid and Barb. Best Surprise class I've found so far is Ranger, but slagging on Ranger seems to be a thing from the MMO bots.
See above.

Takamori

Learned

I prefer using wizards for either enchantment or illusion school for battlefield control. Not that the game requires much thinking but being able to lockdown an entire group of opponents while you clear your path to focus in whatever you want seems more enjoyable gameplay.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
BG3 Fixed - Features work as intended
some good stuff here
  1. Haste now only grant you those possible actions each turn: Attack (one weapon attack only, but with both weapons if you're dual wielding to keep it competitive), Dash, Disengage or Hide by adding a new spell container with those specific actions while under haste
  2. You can no longer cast 2 spells per turn (1 on Action and 1 another on Bonus Action). It's still possible with Action Surge to cast 2 leveled spells or 2 cantrips. In one word, it's like the PnP rule
  3. Pact of the Blade ability named Thristing Blade no longer stack with other sources of extra attack
Increased Level EXP requirements

Tactician Plus

Stronger Bosses and Enemies

Im currently doing ironman run so I test these later

Yosharian

Arcane
  1. Haste now only grant you those possible actions each turn: Attack (one weapon attack only, but with both weapons if you're dual wielding to keep it competitive), Dash, Disengage or Hide by adding a new spell container with those specific actions while under haste
  2. You can no longer cast 2 spells per turn (1 on Action and 1 another on Bonus Action). It's still possible with Action Surge to cast 2 leveled spells or 2 cantrips. In one word, it's like the PnP rule
  3. Pact of the Blade ability named Thristing Blade no longer stack with other sources of extra attack
Aw man I read this and thought it was a new patch and for a moment my hope and faith was restored

Then it came crashing back down to reality as I realised it was a bloody mod

Yosharian

Arcane
or War Caster so any damage has 35% (?) chance of burning your slot.

So many great items that give adv on Con saves. Don’t ever take War Caster.
I would also add that using those items is very rarely a significant opportunity cost because a lot of the items that have it are top tier items such as amulet of greater health, SH's quest armor, etc

So it's not even like you're giving up another item that is massively superior.. usually.

Only in a few situations is it costly, for insane meta builds that need a specific necklace or chestpiece and they don't really need to concentrate on anything anyway, not long-term

And for THOSE builds, Resilient: CON is a way better pick usually

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The implemented rule of being able to cast 1 action and 1 bonus action spells is the reason why the bless ring is broken (relatively to when you find it). It also makes bless a stupid choice from an action economy perspective to waste your concentration on. For cleric this means you can cast healing word and do something else, either cast a spell or why not just throw a potion to trigger another bless in the same turn. So stupid.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
or War Caster so any damage has 35% (?) chance of burning your slot.

So many great items that give adv on Con saves. Don’t ever take War Caster.
I would also add that using those items is very rarely a significant opportunity cost because a lot of the items that have it are top tier items such as amulet of greater health, SH's quest armor, etc

So it's not even like you're giving up another item that is massively superior.. usually.

Only in a few situations is it costly, for insane meta builds that need a specific necklace or chestpiece and they don't really need to concentrate on anything anyway, not long-term

And for THOSE builds, Resilient: CON is a way better pick usually

Resilient: Con is good enough that I think it’s fairly easy to implement both most of the time if you need them

Parabalus

Arcane
Perilous Stakes, the ilithid power, works on enemies - easy boss oneshots.

Buffs from items seem to last even if you unequip them, e.g. you can equip Shapeshifter's Mask and Ring of the Shapeshifter on someone, shift, then unequip both and have permanent +1d4. Sure there are way better ways to abuse this.

Game is also extremely rest spammy, you get tons of supplies.

But the bigger problem is that if you don't long rest you will miss important NPC banters.

volklore

Arcane
Only thing sad with the bless on heal thing is it doesn't proc the extra 1d4 from the bless staff from the underdark mage tower.
For bigger fights I find I still need bless to hit reliably with GWM, the extra 1d4 helps a lot. But yeah without GWM hitting enemies isn't a bit deal.
Honestly that item is a little bit of a trap unless you are willing to do shenanigans in order to benefit from it while not actually equipping it

There are much better things to do with your concentration past like, level 5 and as Zeltak points out an optimised build can distribute Bless quite easily just using that ring
Depends on what your party is. If you think overall DPR on the fight maybe, but if I am trying to dish out max dmg in one round to delete a boss with a bunch of HP or something, the extra 1d4 on bless definitely was more impactful so far for me than having spirit guardians out. For fights with more targets that's a different story ofc.

Last edited:

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Only thing sad with the bless on heal thing is it doesn't proc the extra 1d4 from the bless staff from the underdark mage tower.
For bigger fights I find I still need bless to hit reliably with GWM, the extra 1d4 helps a lot. But yeah without GWM hitting enemies isn't a bit deal.
Honestly that item is a little bit of a trap unless you are willing to do shenanigans in order to benefit from it while not actually equipping it

There are much better things to do with your concentration past like, level 5 and as Zeltak points out an optimised build can distribute Bless quite easily just using that ring
Depends what your party is. If I'm trying to nuke some boss without touching his adds, guaranteeing my GWMs actually hit with an extra 1d4 on bless is better than having my cleric concentrate on spirit guardian. For the fights where there are more targets, that's another story.
The choice ultimately doesn't matter because the combat is too easy but you can just healing word (bonus action) + whispering ring and maintain whatever other concentration spell you desire. But yes, if you really want to bless more than two targets in one round then you can spend your concentration slot on bless I guess.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
love throwing, got some more info for yall
- thrown versatile weapons always utilize 1handed dmg dice, regardless if you equip them in 2 hands, with shield or thrown from inventory while 2hf
- not wasting time with calculations, 14str is enough to throw small enemies. You'd better have athletics though
- i throw my spears just as often as nearby enemies on my barbarian. Cant stress enough how important that athletics is
- skeletons are lighter, easy to throw
- if you use regular throw, only thrown enemy is knocked prone. With zerker thrown target can get knocked too
- I dont throw around barrels at all, maybe would make more sense if I were using illusions/void to group enemies more?
- yes, thrown body doesnt deliver spear dmg, but you damage both targets, also helps with positioning enemies. Not realy worth it to have your 14str dude throw goblin at goblin
- enlarge doesnt affect your lifting limits, scam. Also range is the same(at least for spears), although it is easier to throw them over obstacles thanks to you height. Does add 1d4 dmg
- yes, with 21str pot any character can throw proper size humanoids
- dmg formula is weird, not seeing any increases from throwing heavy objects, did they fix it?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Depends what your party is. If I'm trying to nuke some boss without touching his adds, guaranteeing my GWMs actually hit with an extra 1d4 on bless is better than having my cleric concentrate on spirit guardian. For the fights where there are more targets, that's another story.
The choice ultimately doesn't matter because the combat is too easy but you can just healing word (bonus action) + whispering ring and maintain whatever other concentration spell you desire. But yes, if you really want to bless more than two targets in one round then you can spend your concentration slot on bless I guess.
Seems like with this and the Haste fixation this is another case of virtual soloing instead of using whole team.

Is this a generational thing between people who grew up on Gold Box/Blobbers vs what Diablo/MMO? Dark Souls? Then devs feel like they have to make games Voltronnable for that player base but end up too easy for both Dark Souls and Gold Boxers?

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I have just started underdark and here is my opinion.
Ok, good to know bro.

volklore

Arcane
BG3 Fixed - Features work as intended
some good stuff here
Increased Level EXP requirements

Tactician Plus

Stronger Bosses and Enemies

Im currently doing ironman run so I test these later
Quite a lot of good stuff. I really like the tactician plus scaling option they have in that mod, I wish they had that for health to rather than a flat boost.
Might actually restart with exp reduced by 10 percent, tactician plus scaling, and 60 percent health boost and see how it goes. Probably not gonna use the stronger bosses and enemies. Not sure how it's going to pair with flat boosts from tactician plus.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Of those of you who finished on Tactician, how many took Alert as their first feat for most characters?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom